hibs.net Messageboard

Are We Finally On The Up?

Since Stubbs came in and slowly but surely got us playing some good football and winning games as well, it makes me think that we may have finally got a manager with the right tools here to build an exciting team on the park. For to long we have watched utter dross from previous managers but it just looks and feels different to me.

I look forward to going to ER again and the signings so far have really pleased me. These signings to be honest would be good in the top flight never mind down here. Stubbs has really impressed me with the way he conducts himself with the media and how fresh training seems to be with him and the other coaching staff. Granted there is still some distance to go but we seem to at least be heading in the right direction.

Long may this continue as well because the past 8 years have seemed one of the darkest ever in my time supporting the club.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular WillowbraeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since Stubbs came in and slowly but surely got us playing some good football and winning games as well, it makes me think that we may have finally got a manager with the right tools here to build an exciting team on the park. For to long we have watched utter dross from previous managers but it just looks and feels different to me.

I look forward to going to ER again and the signings so far have really pleased me. These signings to be honest would be good in the top flight never mind down here. Stubbs has really impressed me with the way he conducts himself with the media and how fresh training seems to be with him and the other coaching staff. Granted there is still some distance to go but we seem to at least be heading in the right direction.

Long may this continue as well because the past 8 years have seemed one of the darkest ever in my time supporting the club.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    It is good to be looking forward to going to games again. I think we shouldn't get too disheartened should we not manage to secure promotion this year.

Alan Stubbs had a huge task when he came in and our start to the season is a reflection of how much work him and the players have done to turn things around.

That start though is what may end up preventing us gaining promotion, Hearts are far too far ahead and the playoffs will be a total mixed bag. No matter what happens we need to stick with AS and the team and hopefully we will be promoted, if we aren't then I fully believe he is the man to continue to take us forward and gain promotion next year.

Left by mutual consent!
    Yes we're definitely improving but there's a long way to go. When we start hammering the 'Charity Thieves' reguarly and are back challenging in the SPL, then we'll have definitely improved.

@hibs.net private member

I am also feeling very upbeat about all things Hibs and I am eagerly anticipating this evenings AGM.

I thinkthe turnaround of the club is quite remarkable if truth be told. All credit has to go to everyone at the club for what so far has been a tremendous job.

We are where we are just now and I feel promotion is a necessity more to get fans back on side. Financially it is also imperative but so far so good.

The .net training ground tour and talks were very insightful and made me feel even more positive about the direction we are heading in.

I get the feeling that this is just the initial building blocks though and that we could finally start to see Hibernian fulfill its potential. without a doubt it's one of the biggest clubs in the country and we really have to start living up to expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    I am also feeling very upbeat about all things Hibs and I am eagerly anticipating this evenings AGM.

I thinkthe turnaround of the club is quite remarkable if truth be told. All credit has to go to everyone at the club for what so far has been a tremendous job.

We are where we are just now and I feel promotion is a necessity more to get fans back on side. Financially it is also imperative but so far so good.

The .net training ground tour and talks were very insightful and made me feel even more positive about the direction we are heading in.

I get the feeling that this is just the initial building blocks though and that we could finally start to see Hibernian fulfill its potential. without a doubt it's one of the biggest clubs in the country and we really have to start living up to expectations.
    Agree mate.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar

Any idea how much is to do with Stubbs and his assistants being able to assess a player and make the offers to the right types, or more that any decent player would just give our previous huddy managers a body swerve.

@hibs.net private member
    Certainly improving. However, I think it's vital we get promoted this season. Another year in this league would be terrible for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    Any idea how much is to do with Stubbs and his assistants being able to assess a player and make the offers to the right types, or more that any decent player would just give our previous huddy managers a body swerve.
    100% Stubbs and the way he visions the game. He's very well respected as well in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Certainly improving. However, I think it's vital we get promoted this season. Another year in this league would be terrible for the club.
    I agree that we need to get out here. Another year would hurt us financially!

1)we now have competition/cover for the keepers gloves.
    2)we now have competition/cover/balance and if needed 3or4 formation at the back.
    3)we also have a midfield that can almost pick itself.
    4)two in form strikers and one on the mend.
    without sounding greedy
    another striker/midfielder and defender/midfielder would be the icing on the cake.
    i honetly think the squad we have would be top6 or more in the premier.
    2nd place,a wee trip to Hamden and a playoff final is well within our grasp.

Promising Youngster DownInAlbion's Avatar
    In rod we trust ;)

We do need to get out the division asap but we gave that other mob too much of a start. We will catch them sooner rather than later and we wont look back.The difference in the club now is amazing.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    There is a few things other than just the fact out football doesn't make your eyes bleed.

The news flow from the club...don't think I've ever seen so many updates pop onto the main board notifying us of another item added to the fishy site. We have clearly upped our game here

We have signed not one but two right backs...quite why it has taken us sooo long to actually get some right backs into the team I have no idea what so ever but finally we have some!

Balance. Stubbs clearly understands the need for a balanced squad. This can only help with formations and consistency...again hardly something you would think would take so long to do but again AS has stepped up and made it happen

Signing policy. There has been a step change here. Early moves for players that clearly enhance the squad. 100% sure fans under estimates just how difficult it is to get players signed so again the club as a whole seems to have changed dramatically in this area.

Direction. Hibs as a football club seem to have a clear understanding of what we are and what we are trying to achieve. Top to bottom the transformation is incredible and I'm sure we have yet to see it all come to fruition.

Long may these changes continue and if this is just the start then we could FINALLY be back on the infamous upwards spiral!!

We certainly are on the up.imo relegation , painful though it was at the time, has turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
    The board, finally, have listened to the fans, we have a young progressive manager who evidently knows what he's doing and a team thats finally a joy to watch.
    I also have to say the changes at the club over the last few months have been incredible from top to bottom.
    Here's hoping celtic eventually win the league in a canter as if they dont they could come calling for our manager and I for one hope he is here for a few years to carry on the fine job he and his team are doing
    ggtth

AS and LD will be the best signings we ever make. Stubbs is proving himself to be a very decent coach, and LD talks real sense, not only on the club should be run financially, but also about who we do things on the park. RP was very much lacking in the latter. Long way to go, but certainly much improved. Hampden, and a play-off final very much in reach.

Stubbs and Dempster seem to have stopped the rot and we're seeing definite changes at the club, such as

signing players early in the window and not as panic measures
    issuing statements on relevant topics
    debt reduction
    showing more interest in it's fans (Board & share issue)
    appealing/refusing post-match bans
    fans wanting to go to matches again (without dread)

Cynics might see some of these as pre-AGM positioning but hopefully it is a permanent change in attitude and behaviour. Time will tell.

Of course this club is on the up. The evidence is there for anyone to see, both on and off the pitch.

There is still a lot of room for improvement but that will come. The club needs to get out of this division asap.

I think it's also very important that the fans continue to play their part by renewing season tickets, and if possible contributing to HSL to further help fund the club's sporting ambition / aims.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Of course this club is on the up. The evidence is there for anyone to see, both on and off the pitch.

There is still a lot of room for improvement but that will come. The club needs to get out of this division asap.

I think it's also very important that the fans continue to play their part by renewing season tickets, and if possible contributing to HSL to further help fund the club's sporting ambition / aims.
    Not wanting this to start talking about HSL, personally I'm not 100% sure on it. I don't like the look of the others either now that everyone has had there input. Not big on fan ownership myself but that's for another day.

As for the playing side which most lets be honest about is what we are really interested in. It's great to see the confidence breed through the team and I don't go into any games in this league thinking we will lose. Where before I'd dread any game we had.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHibby93 View Post
    AS and LD will be the best signings we ever make. Stubbs is proving himself to be a very decent coach, and LD talks real sense, not only on the club should be run financially, but also about who we do things on the park. RP was very much lacking in the latter. Long way to go, but certainly much improved. Hampden, and a play-off final very much in reach.
    I wonder the extent to which Brian Houston (from a strategic review before heading to save NHS Lothian) allied to the wealth of football experience from Bruce Langham (supported by others) was the key to unlocking this... The timing of Brian's move to NHS Lothian (although still a non-exec iirc) made me think... Brian in particular IMHO "gets" the support but also can see how to marry what the punters want with a model around how to deliver it which with careful nurture and management should reap financial benefits.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Coaching Staff
    Right direction from where we were.

We will see if we can get the club into the top 3 or 4 of the top league any time soon and whether our football will still be good to watch and effective when we get there.

That was the expectation just a short time ago.

The set up appears to be in place but it needs to get us to above what we were disappointed with in the past.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Right direction from where we were.

We will see if we can get the club into the top 3 or 4 of the top league any time soon and whether our football will still be good to watch and effective when we get there.

That was the expectation just a short time ago.

The set up appears to be in place but it needs to get us to above what we were disappointed with in the past.
    Reasonable expectations they are too. I feel confident we have the right team in place... they're just starting from further away!