hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    'The easy thing would have been to walk away.' Who gives a **** if that would have been the easy thing to do? The important thing is that it would have been the RIGHT thing to do (and still is).

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Indeed.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice-Terry View Post
    'The easy thing would have been to walk away.' Who gives a **** if that would have been the easy thing to do? The important thing is that it would have been the RIGHT thing to do (and still is).
    Did you read the interview?

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Did you read the interview?
    Yes.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Question for tomorrow night, if I can get one in.

Mr Petrie are you considering stepping down as Club chairman in the next 12 months ?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice-Terry View Post
    Perhaps not.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Read's for all the world to me like a last hurrah and attempt to justify him not falling on his sword beforehand.

In the context of everything that's going on at Hibs just now, it would make perfect sense and would supposedly heal lots of divisions.

It would give BuyHIBS and HOH yet another reason to go away

Judging by the amount of folk who have said they wont go back till he is gone it would put thousands on the weekly gate.

Aye right

I've not been one for having a go at Petrie and the board, and in recent months we've seen a major improvement in how the club is run and performing on the park. For this they deserve credit and I do not buy into all the nonsense that goes around about Petrie's or Farmer's intentions. However, something he says has really got to me:

"Have we made mistakes? Yes, we have. If you want to stop making mistakes, stop making decisions. We’ve got more right than we’ve got wrong."

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but this, to me, is significant and concerning. If we are looking at the performance of the team and club in the last five years, this comment is outrageous IMO. A series of decisions that saw us perform abysmally for around half a decade, culminating in us being relegated from a league without a Rangers or Hearts team to speak of. To me, that indicates a hell of a lot of wrong decisions, so what were the right ones? Everyone has to make decisions but to use that as an excuse for the multitude of mistakes made over the last few years is utterly bizarre. Just as well we made all those right decisions - otherwise where would be? Petrie's attitude suggests that he misunderstands both what is "right" for our club and how a disastrous few years of "mistakes" could make him, or others, culpable.

As I say, I've never bashed Petrie and the board, but this...take some responsibility man.

I don't hate Margaret Thatcher as much as some folk on here hate him. i find that slightly disturbing. Anyone who tells the Huns "give up all your trophies or you are toast" (i paraphrase) can't be that bad.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    The club very much looks to be on the long road to recovery and not before time. The constant over the past few years were bad appointments on the football side of things. Relegation from the worst top flight in living memory simply should not have been allowed.

We all hope not but we could still be a Championship club next season which makes me question the timing of a statement like this (and it is a statment in the guise of an 'interview.') Would've been better said after we are back in the top flight where we belong...
    Last edited by Baader; 27-01-2015 at 01:01 PM.

His departure would certainly help encourage some people back and it would be well timed with season tickets going on sale in March.

But you can't help feeling that those who won't come back until he's off the board will shift the goalposts and continue to stay away because of his 10% stake.

Left by mutual consent!
    Great interview. In Petrie we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    I've not been one for having a go at Petrie and the board, and in recent months we've seen a major improvement in how the club is run and performing on the park. For this they deserve credit and I do not buy into all the nonsense that goes around about Petrie's or Farmer's intentions. However, something he says has really got to me:

"Have we made mistakes? Yes, we have. If you want to stop making mistakes, stop making decisions. We’ve got more right than we’ve got wrong."

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but this, to me, is significant and concerning. If we are looking at the performance of the team and club in the last five years, this comment is outrageous IMO. A series of decisions that saw us perform abysmally for around half a decade, culminating in us being relegated from a league without a Rangers or Hearts team to speak of. To me, that indicates a hell of a lot of wrong decisions, so what were the right ones? Everyone has to make decisions but to use that as an excuse for the multitude of mistakes made over the last few years is utterly bizarre. Just as well we made all those right decisions - otherwise where would be? Petrie's attitude suggests that he misunderstands both what is "right" for our club and how a disastrous few years of "mistakes" could make him, or others, culpable.

As I say, I've never bashed Petrie and the board, but this...take some responsibility man.
    Where does he say that?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    His departure would certainly help encourage some people back and it would be well timed with season tickets going on sale in March.

But you can't help feeling that those who won't come back until he's off the board will shift the goalposts and continue to stay away because of his 10% stake.
    Who knows? It's a bit of a red herring, I think.

The more fundamental question is - was Hibs being run in the right way under his watch? No, it wasn't, and we now know the cost of that - relegation and a legacy £5m debt. My view is that these are worth paying if Hibs has now changed a corner - it really does look like it has - but we shouldn't underestimate the price we paid for years and years of drift.

Where does he say that?
    Sorry, I should have made that clear as the EN has published a few different articles from this interview. It's at the end of this one: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...hibs-1-3671089

Sorry, I should have made that clear as the EN has published a few different articles from this interview. It's at the end of this one: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...hibs-1-3671089

Fair enough - I didn't see that one.

In fairness though, he does say

"We’d worked very hard during the 2013/14 season because we knew things had to change. The search for a new chief exec to come in, take over and take us on to the next generation had already started ..."

... basically appointing someone who was better at his old job.

Fair enough - I didn't see that one.

In fairness though, he does say

"We’d worked very hard during the 2013/14 season because we knew things had to change. The search for a new chief exec to come in, take over and take us on to the next generation had already started ..."

... basically appointing someone who was better at his old job.
    Where does he say that?

Coaching Staff
    Thought the various articles were well balanced and thought out.

Another interesting bit from that article:

“In the 23 seasons from 1991/92 to 2013/14 the club’s aggregate turnover was £131m and the club traded at an aggregate bottom line loss of £2m. We fought to get the deal we wanted. The ambition was to get the best deal in Scottish football."

So, this picture is a moderately loss-making company. Presumably this must include the sale of the car park to off set the chunky debts built up by 2003? We were something like £17-18m in debt by then, and we didn't just trade our way out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    That's fair enough to say that these days.

So also fair to say we do not live in a "take responsibility" culture.
    Exactly what stuck out for me too. It's that "I'm right and everyone else is wrong" attitude that has endeared Petrie to the Hibs supporters on our journey to the bottom !

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    Another interesting bit from that article:

“In the 23 seasons from 1991/92 to 2013/14 the club’s aggregate turnover was £131m and the club traded at an aggregate bottom line loss of £2m. We fought to get the deal we wanted. The ambition was to get the best deal in Scottish football."

So, this picture is a moderately loss-making company. Presumably this must include the sale of the car park to off set the chunky debts built up by 2003? We were something like £17-18m in debt by then, and we didn't just trade our way out of that.
    I would imagine that it includes everything - stadium redevelopment, East mains, car park & player sales, etc.

Still the same patronising condescending rubbish!! The man needs to go ffs!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    That's the opposite of what we used say about him. :-)
    Progress

Well done for standing your ground and not resigning, therefore helping the progress of change along. It makes sense now.

However, your presence caused disharmony amongst the support which probably didn't help the team and therefore dressing room harmony.

Ying and yang, that's life and we move on with Dempster calling the shots and it's all positive from here on in.

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    Well done for standing your ground and not resigning, therefore helping the progress of change along. It makes sense now.

However, your presence caused disharmony amongst the support which probably didn't help the team and therefore dressing room harmony.

Ying and yang, that's life and we move on with Dempster calling the shots and it's all positive from here on in.

What about all the fans who refuse to come back because of him? Look at our attendances the support is still very, very poor! He goes and I think slowly but surely many will come back!

Still personally think he's a clown of a man but hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    What about all the fans who refuse to come back because of him? Look at our attendances the support is still very, very poor! He goes and I think slowly but surely many will come back!

Still personally think he's a clown of a man but hey ho.
    I think they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. They will be back once we are promoted and near the top of the league.

I think they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. They will be back once we are promoted and near the top of the league.

Stop being so positive 😁😉

Joking aside I do think him staying has forced thousands to jack it. I don't blame them myself but I'd love to see ER bouncing again! Wish he'd just leave Hibs and let us move on.

All you fan boys should probably get together and send Rod a wee gift as a token of your gratitude.

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/...hibs-1-3671101

Is it just me, or has Mr Petrie got a bit mixed up here? LD was announced as our new Chief Exec on 29 April - a few weeks before relegation. So there is no way she could have gone back on the deal in private.

He picks his moment carefully you've got to give him that