hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Football Casuals (Books)

Decided to read a couple of these books so recently read "These Colours Don't Run", "Hibs Boy" and I'm just about to start "The Boys from the Mersey".
    I know it's difficult to tell how much of what is written is factual as opposed to embellished to make them a better read but I found the two Hibs ones quite an interesting read (they made a couple of train journeys pass quickly). Anyone who has read either of the Hibs ones, what was your opinion of the accounts given?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Decided to read a couple of these books so recently read "These Colours Don't Run", "Hibs Boy" and I'm just about to start "The Boys from the Mersey".
    I know it's difficult to tell how much of what is written is factual as opposed to embellished to make them a better read but I found the two Hibs ones quite an interesting read (they made a couple of train journeys pass quickly). Anyone who has read either of the Hibs ones, what was your opinion of the accounts given?
    I thought they were a wee bit cringey - a lot of "there was 2 of us and 20 of them but we wouldn't run. We ran at them and battered them, even though we were outnumbered 10 to 1."

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I thought they were a wee bit cringey - a lot of "there was 2 of us and 20 of them but we wouldn't run. We ran at them and battered them, even though we were outnumbered 10 to 1."

some sounded like the fight scenes in a Van Damme or Steven Segal film.

I got Hibs Boy a couple of years ago but never read it. Is it any good?? It's sitting on the book shelf....

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    I read these colours don't run. I only found them interesting because I never missed a game at that time so it was fun trying to work out where I was when all that nonsense was going on
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post

There was loads of that. The slagging he gave Irvine Welsh was totally unnecessary as well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

There was loads of that. The slagging he gave Irvine Welsh was totally unnecessary as well.
    Who are you referring to?

Irvine wrote the foreword to one book and I worked with the publishers on both books mentioned in the OP.

I don't recall any derogatory comments aimed IW's way.

Recently read one about Tranmere casuals called Away Days, set in late 70's/early 80's. Entertaining read but hardly booker prize material. Thought being a Scouser you may be interested, as there are a few references to what Liverpool's mob were up to at the time. (i.e. nicking sports-wear from stores all over Europe!! )

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post

Irvine wrote the foreword to one book and I worked with the publishers on both books mentioned in the OP.

IIRC in these colours a chapter is about the "irritating mr welsh".

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    I got Hibs Boy a couple of years ago but never read it. Is it any good?? It's sitting on the book shelf....
    I found it an interesting read, took a lot of it with a pinch of salt but it kept my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixu62 View Post
    Recently read one about Tranmere casuals called Away Days, set in late 70's/early 80's. Entertaining read but hardly booker prize material. Thought being a Scouser you may be interested, as there are a few references to what Liverpool's mob were up to at the time. (i.e. nicking sports-wear from stores all over Europe!! )
    Yes that's why I've just got the Mersey Boys, can't believe they nicked stuff though.........surely not!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I've read quite a few of them, for some reason my in laws kept buying me them for Christmas(I've no idea why) after a while they start to get a bit predictable. I enjoyed the hibs ones as I was at a load of the games they write about. The Aberdeen one was good as well.

United we stand here....

I thought the Aberdeen one was quite good too. The boy wasnae scared to mention some of the losses they were involved in.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I thought the Aberdeen one was quite good too. The boy wasnae scared to mention some of the losses they were involved in.
    That's right and it had a good bit at the end were they met up with other casuals from Motherwell years later.

United we stand here....

A lot of the stuff in 'Hibs Boy' sounded suspiciously like the BBC documentary on West Ham hooligans from about 1985. I couldn't help thinking he'd watched it a bit too much and it had influenced what he wrote.

FWIW, AB is a mate of Irvine Welsh and often sits with him at games. The other book, 'these colours don't run', makes it clear the Welsh was at no time in the CCS (a fairly common misconception, apparently).

I can only comment on the accuracy of the parts from the 80s but it's pretty much how I rememmber most of it (having been a part-timer for the first few years)

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Really don't see why I'd want to read about a bunch of numbnuts who can't think of anything better to do to brighten up their lives than battering people. Can't for the life of me think how it could possibly be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Really don't see why I'd want to read about a bunch of numbnuts who can't think of anything better to do to brighten up their lives than battering people. Can't for the life of me think how it could possibly be interesting.

Sure ive read Hibs Boy(is he from/stayed Dunfermline?) repetitive fantasy drivel rings a bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Each to their own mate, I like to read fiction. Pretty much the same as I like watching a fight scene in a film that I know is not humanly possible.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    The most interesting one I have read is not by a hooligan, but an American journalist called Bill Buford, who became interested in hooliganism and studied hooliganism from close quarters. Among the Thugs it`s called, and a quick look on Amazon - you can get it for 4 quid on kindle or 1pence used paperback.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Among-Thugs-...mong+the+thugs

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post

There's a whole chapter dedicated to slagging off Welsh in These Colours dont run.

Read a good few of these over the years and they're all pretty much of a muchness - that is to say, quite, erm rubbish.
    However if you ever come across the spectacularly crap yam effort 'Riot Gear' it's worth keeping to sell on. For some reason it can go for silly money (for what it is).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...qid=1423085746

Read Hibs Boy while on holiday in Turkey
    last summer, have to say got some very
    funny looks from people around the pool.

when I was finished reading it,
    I put it on the book rack "top row"
    it took about 10 minutes before someone
    took it.
    Ps being of a certain age !!
    It does bring back some funny memories.

I would say the accounts given are quite accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    I would say the accounts given are quite accurate.
    Is this an opinion born out of experience or being part of it?

Is this an opinion born out of experience or being part of it?
    I was just an innocent bystander, honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    I was just an innocent bystander, honest.
    No comment :-)