hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AK86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, I forgot. Fenlon left us in great shape, with great players, who were all fit and committed to the cause.
    fenlon should have walked after 1-5, and then ran away after 0-7.
    Rowan Vine anyone? Need I go on.
    Are you still trying to argue that Fenlon did a worse job for us than Butcher? Unbelievable nonsense.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Okay, I forgot. Fenlon left us in great shape, with great players, who were all fit and committed to the cause.
    fenlon should have walked after 1-5, and then ran away after 0-7.
    Rowan Vine anyone? Need I go on.
    Shouldn't have walked after 5-1, it wasn't his fault. We also wouldn't be in the first division if he wasn't hounded out.

Guys Fenlon's football had fans walking away. Butchers football had fans running away.

Stubbs football has us talking again that we do actually look a football team.

Conclusion is... Fenlon was ***** and had to go said it himself. Sorry but saying "at least he wouldn't get us relegated" doesn't matter a jot. We shouldn't lower expectations to just surviving. Butcher was worse and should have been punted soon as the final whistle went against Hamilton.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    Are you still trying to argue that Fenlon did a worse job for us than Butcher? Unbelievable nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Shouldn't have walked after 5-1, it wasn't his fault. We also wouldn't be in the first division if he wasn't hounded out.
    Sorry I have a different view than you guys, but I would be hard pushed to decide who was the worst manager.
    its a bit like choosing between a punch in the mouth or a kick in the baws.

as in 1-5 not being Fenlons fault, have you not read what happened in the lead up to the final? Can you not remember the team he put out that day? The tactics ? Changing the team after 35 mins ? Taking off the only player in the team who could actually pass a ball to another team mate?

just thinking of some of the signings he made is mind boggling. We were the laughing stock of Scottish fitba when he was in charge, everyone knew he was clueless, Most Hibs fans refused to believe it, and still do. It's bizarre.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    It was as much, if not more, his fault then anybody else's.

Coaching Staff
    Sorry I have a different view than you guys, but I would be hard pushed to decide who was the worst manager.

as in 1-5 not being Fenlons fault, have you not read what happened in the lead up to the final? Can you not remember the team he put out that day? The tactics ? Changing the team after 35 mins ? Taking off the only player in the team who could actually pass a ball to another team mate?

just thinking of some of the signings he made is mind boggling. We were the laughing stock of Scottish fitba when he was in charge, everyone knew he was clueless, Most Hibs fans refused to believe it, and still do. It's bizarre.
    We had an average position of between 4th and 5th with Fenlon taking away the first end of season when we were fighting relegation. Not really his fault that in the position we were in. The teams below us had games in hand and we had just lost at home to Dunfermline.

So, two Scottish Cup finals in a row and average 4th to 5th. Aye, real laughing stock compared to battling to be in the top 4 of The Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    We had an average position of between 4th and 5th with Fenlon taking away the first end of season when we were fighting relegation. Not really his fault that in the position we were in. The teams below us had games in hand and we had just lost at home to Dunfermline.

So, two Scottish Cup finals in a row and average 4th to 5th. Aye, real laughing stock compared to battling to be in the top 4 of The Championship.
    How did we have an average of 4th to 5th when he finished 7th on his only full season?

We weren't the laughing stock of Scottish football, don't talk pish. We got to 2 cup finals and finished a decent 7th after being 11th the season before.

Who in Scottish football was laughing at us? Hearts, pumped them all season in his only year. Celtic? Beat them at Easter Road. Aberdeen? we knocked them out the cup twice, same with Killie. I really don't see where you got this absolutely rubbish from, it is completely made up.

Everyone knew he was clueless is again absolute made up pish. Some of his signings were poor yes, some were actually pretty good. Griffiths, Doyle, Thomson, Taiwo, Maybury, Williams, Robertson and Craig were/are solid players. Fenlon was far better than Calderwood and Butcher and as I said we wouldn't be near the first division had we let his contract expire. The abuse the guy gets for doing a solid job and giving it his best is absolutely pathetic. Calderwood and Butcher are the real villians.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It was as much, if not more, his fault then anybody else's.
    He inherited a team full of guys like Matt Thornhill, absolute rubbish. Even the good players like O'Connor were playing like **** and he signed what we needed to keep us up. The cup final was a bonus, nothing more. We should have been dumped out by Aberdeen in the semi but actually turned up and played really well. In the final we completely fell to bits and the better team won, nothing more and even then there was some horrendous refereeing decisions than didn't help us at all.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    He inherited a team full of guys like Matt Thornhill, absolute rubbish. Even the good players like O'Connor were playing like **** and he signed what we needed to keep us up. The cup final was a bonus, nothing more. We should have been dumped out by Aberdeen in the semi but actually turned up and played really well. In the final we completely fell to bits and the better team won, nothing more and even then there was some horrendous refereeing decisions than didn't help us at all.
    That's one way of looking at it I suppose. It was the previous management signing players like Matt Thornhill (who wasnt even at us at the time of the final ), the players who were in the squad and the referees fault. But not Pat Fenlons. Despite the fact that the cup final squad included Doherty, McPake, Kujabi, Claros, Soares, Francomb and Doyle....all Fenlon signings unless I'm mistaken.

I'm all for a 'if we had stuck with Pat Fenlon we'd not have been relegated' debate, I think it's hard to say whether we would or wouldn't, I'm glad he left though. But, to say Fenlon isn't culpable for what happened in that game, that's not even a debate as far as I'm concerned.

Left by mutual consent! Stuarty27's Avatar
    Pat Fenlon appointed Billy Brown his number 2....

Enough saud

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    What young players is this?

as soon as butcher asked them to come for double training , the day we lost a 2 nil lead at tannadice, the players went in the huff
    Couldn't find the earlier thread from when butcher went but quite a few reliable posters pointed to complaints to the SPFA.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuarty27 View Post

Enough saud
    Was suggested fenlon was "given" him to assist because of his knowledge of the Scottish game?. Incredible!

Nae fenlon fan but he was not disappointed when he lost the benefit of all that knowledge.
    Last edited by Bostonhibby; 14-01-2015 at 08:41 AM.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Stuarty27 View Post

Enough saud
    No, he appointed the big Irish guy, Liam something? and Jimmy Nicholl. Brown was here before Fenlon.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    That's one way of looking at it I suppose. It was the previous management signing players like Matt Thornhill (who wasnt even at us at the time of the final ), the players who were in the squad and the referees fault. But not Pat Fenlons. Despite the fact that the cup final squad included Doherty, McPake, Kujabi, Claros, Soares, Francomb and Doyle....all Fenlon signings unless I'm mistaken.

I'm all for a 'if we had stuck with Pat Fenlon we'd not have been relegated' debate, I think it's hard to say whether we would or wouldn't, I'm glad he left though. But, to say Fenlon isn't culpable for what happened in that game, that's not even a debate as far as I'm concerned.
    He replaced the garbage he was left with loans, 3/4 of which were actually solid for us is that time. Yes, some of them were awful but to purely blame him for that day is not fair at all and I know for a fact very few on here blamed him after that game and the ones who did were quickly drowned out by people putting things in perspective.

Also, it really isn't debatable that we wouldn't have gone down, say what you like about Fenlon but we got wins when we needed them under him in his first season and we undoubtedly had a better team when he left. What were we, 5th? Hardly relegation form despite our lack of goals. We absolutely should have let Fenlon finish his contract and then made the changes we made this summer, it would have saved us relegation not to mention a massive amount of money.

No, he appointed the big Irish guy, Liam something? and Jimmy Nicholl. Brown was here before Fenlon.
    You're right, Billy Brown was there before Fenlon arrived but I'll give the poster you quoted the benefit of the doubt.

He said that Fenlon made Brown his number two which is technically correct. Brown came to the club during Calderwood's time in charge and was the caretaker manager after Calderwood left and when Fenlon arrived, he chose to keep Brown at the club and hired him as the assistant manager.

Folk who rated Fenlon make me really laugh 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Folk who rated Fenlon make me really laugh 
    Ones who thought Butcher would be better make me laugh more.

Ones who thought Butcher would be better make me laugh more.
    But I can hold my hand up and say how wrong I and many others were. Still waiting on many saying Fenlon wasn't good either!! Oh wait he got us to two cup finals that we didn't win, played football that bored the life out of anyone who watched and had a magical European night as well is it so hard for folk to say actually he was *****!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I can hold my hand up and say how wrong I and many others were. Still waiting on many saying Fenlon wasn't good either!! Oh wait he got us to two cup finals that we didn't win, played football that bored the life out of anyone who watched and had a magical European night as well is it so hard for folk to say actually he was *****!!!

You must lead a very depressing life if you only focus on the bad things people do and the mistakes they made. Pat done a decent job with a horrible situation, I didn't say he was Mourinho.

You must lead a very depressing life if you only focus on the bad things people do and the mistakes they made. Pat done a decent job with a horrible situation, I didn't say he was Mourinho.
    My life is far from depressing thanks, and I never said you did call him Mourinho either! I could say I think your standards for what you call a decent job are very low. By the time he left he assembled a poor team. Calderwood was rotten Fenlon was poor and Butcher was terrible!

Stubbs has been here 5 mins and its night and day between him and Pat! Remember the attendances under Pat yeah? His brand of football was one of the worst I've seen at ER.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Terry butcher was correct. Pat Fenlon had left him the most unprofessional set of fitba players he had ever seen.
    Don't talk shiete pal. Fenlon had his faults however Butcher managed to take an average squad and make them the worst in the division within 6 months.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar

One manager got us relegated and destroyed the morale of the squad. The other didn't. How is this so difficult to understand? Comparing the 2 is like day and and night.

Fenlon wasn't the greatest, granted and I do think the job was too big for him. His fault? Perhaps however we should look at the board for making this appointment.
    As for Butcher, well he make a **** of it and now no-one will touch him with a bargepole.

Fenlon did actually do a good job with a his lot and credit must go where it's due.

He was a dead man walking after the first cup final however. A victory over Celtic would have been the only thing that would have saved his skin but it didn't happen unfortunately.

A victim of circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Don't talk shiete pal. Fenlon had his faults however Butcher managed to take an average squad and make them the worst in the division within 6 months.
    I think Butcher came in, realised that what he had inherited was not to his liking and told them so.

He was probably expecting the season to tail off but not to the extent that it did. We would have regrouped as a unit like ICT and built for the future. If our penalties had gone in then who's to say we wouldn't have a team like ICT have now?

Butcher must surely learn from this and I bear him no ill will. He was prised from a stable job where he was doing well and we were just the wrong fit.

And all these people having a go...you wouldn't say it to his face so what's the point?

My life is far from depressing thanks, and I never said you did call him Mourinho either! I could say I think your standards for what you call a decent job are very low. By the time he left he assembled a poor team. Calderwood was rotten Fenlon was poor and Butcher was terrible!

Stubbs has been here 5 mins and its night and day between him and Pat! Remember the attendances under Pat yeah? His brand of football was one of the worst I've seen at ER.
    You clearly dislike Fenlon as you said exactly the same things when Butcher took over, night and day, players love him, press love him. In reality Pat done a decent job in a horrible situation, we weren't pretty to watch sometimes but he also gave us some fantastic moments, especially on the road, and was far and away better to Butcher and Calderwood in every way. I am yet to be convinced we'd have been anywhere near relegation if he had finished his contract instead of being hounded out.

That being said he wasn't the long term solution and him going in the summer and us bringing in Stubbs, Dempster and co would still have been the right course of action, they would just have a lot more money and supporters to work with.

But hey, we played some boring football and lost 2 cup finals, raise your pitchforks.

You clearly dislike Fenlon as you said exactly the same things when Butcher took over, night and day, players love him, press love him. In reality Pat done a decent job in a horrible situation, we weren't pretty to watch sometimes but he also gave us some fantastic moments, especially on the road, and was far and away better to Butcher and Calderwood in every way. I am yet to be convinced we'd have been anywhere near relegation if he had finished his contract instead of being hounded out.

That being said he wasn't the long term solution and him going in the summer and us bringing in Stubbs, Dempster and co would still have been the right course of action, they would just have a lot more money and supporters to work with.

But hey, we played some boring football and lost 2 cup finals, raise your pitchforks.
    I didn't dislike Fenlon as a person. I disliked his brand of football. He was better than both CC and TB but that wasn't hard! He should have left long before he did and for me there was no way back from 1-5. Then the shambles of 0-7. He said himself it was time to go so thankfully he knew he was out his depth! From part time football to the SPL was a massive jump.

Sadly the manager who replaced him was much worse! If only we had got in the right man after CC we wouldn't be in this league. I'm delighted to have a real manager and coaching staff who work on every aspect of the club.

Again, I can hold my hands up and say I was wrong about Butcher why can't the Fenlon apologists do the same?

Onwards and upwards and thankfully both have nothing to do with Hibs now.

Guys Fenlon's football had fans walking away. Butchers football had fans running away.

Stubbs football has us talking again that we do actually look a football team.

Conclusion is... Fenlon was ***** and had to go said it himself. Sorry but saying "at least he wouldn't get us relegated" doesn't matter a jot. We shouldn't lower expectations to just surviving. Butcher was worse and should have been punted soon as the final whistle went against Hamilton.
    Pat Fenlon. The man who made me stop going to Easter Road as a season ticket holder after 17 consecutive years.

Should have been sacked immediately after the 0-7.

I didn't dislike Fenlon as a person. I disliked his brand of football. He was better than both CC and TB but that wasn't hard! He should have left long before he did and for me there was no way back from 1-5. Then the shambles of 0-7. He said himself it was time to go so thankfully he knew he was out his depth! From part time football to the SPL was a massive jump.

Sadly the manager who replaced him was much worse! If only we had got in the right man after CC we wouldn't be in this league. I'm delighted to have a real manager and coaching staff who work on every aspect of the club.

Again, I can hold my hands up and say I was wrong about Butcher why can't the Fenlon apologists do the same?

Onwards and upwards and thankfully both have nothing to do with Hibs now.

Why should I told my hands up if I think he done okay, it is actually debatable unlike Butcher.

Why should I told my hands up if I think he done okay, it is actually debatable unlike Butcher.
    Ok!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    Pat Fenlon. The man who made me stop going to Easter Road as a season ticket holder after 17 consecutive years.

Should have been sacked immediately after the 0-7.
    You and thousands more bud! Attendances prove it! His football was eye bleeding.