hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap holidays

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar

Cheap holidays

I'm trying to sneak in a cheeky wee week away in April before summer holidays What's the best sites to use?...I just logged on to Travelrepublic.com for a cheap week away and was quoted £1129 for a week In Greece!!! WTF

I'm not looking for just flights, Or just accommodation , I'm after both, The holiday package so to speak...Gotta be decent holiday sites that are good to use?..

No sure if i fancy a week in say Tenerife with the beaches or maybe a week in Germany touring..Just looking to gauge prices.

Cheers

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm trying to sneak in a cheeky wee week away in April before summer holidays What's the best sites to use?...I just logged on to Travelrepublic.com for a cheap week away and was quoted £1129 for a week In Greece!!! WTF

I'm not looking for just flights, Or just accommodation , I'm after both, The holiday package so to speak...Gotta be decent holiday sites that are good to use?..

No sure if i fancy a week in say Tenerife with the beaches or maybe a week in Germany touring..Just looking to gauge prices.

Cheers
    Sunshine.co.uk has worked for me a few times... Quite good sitting in the hotel bar and finding out you've spent a few £100 less than others

Caveat though... Not checked prices for this year though.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Sunshine.co.uk has worked for me a few times... Quite good sitting in the hotel bar and finding out you've spent a few £100 less than others

Caveat though... Not checked prices for this year though.

Cheers mate ill have a peak

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Just looked...picked this at random... 3 adults (brat is over 12) from Edinburgh to Palma, staying in self catering at Santa Ponsa leaving 18th April coming back a week later... £532.34 .... That's flights, accommodation and transfer to/from the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Just looked...picked this at random... 3 adults (brat is over 12) from Edinburgh to Palma, staying in self catering at Santa Ponsa leaving 18th April coming back a week later... £532.34 .... That's flights, accommodation and transfer to/from the airport.

I cannae find nowt mate..All flights to all destinations seem to be in the £150+ bracket ..But then you gotta add on your hotel fees and transfer to the hotel and totals up to like £500+...Its only a cheeky wee week for me no the family

Looking for an all in holiday for £300..Gotta be somewhere for that.

Found yin. Santa Ponsa £256

Only thing is i don't really like booking holidays over the internet as you have to print this that and the next thing off and i'm useless at it!! But Thomsons going places etc are quoting scandalous prices!!!
    Last edited by HibbyAndy; 30-12-2014 at 04:39 PM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I always use alpharooms.com for hotels and book flights direct. I've got a friend who swears by holiday Republic

Found yin. Santa Ponsa £256

Only thing is i don't really like booking holidays over the internet as you have to print this that and the next thing off and i'm useless at it!! But Thomsons going places etc are quoting scandalous prices!!!
    Its actually pretty easy to print a bit paper It will save you hundreds of pounds. Use the skyscanner app to get the cheapest possible flights to a destination. I was away for 3 months and used booking.com most of the time for hotels, I saved a fortune. Click on the lowest priced hotels with a pool etc then click on tripadvisor to see peoples thoughts on them. I was getting excellent hotels for a week for about £100. I got 5 nights, all inclusive in Cuba for £180. Tripadvisor is a fantastic thing because it has made nearly every hotel in the world up their game as reviews are now everything. Everyone with half a brain will check tripadvisor before they book up.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    Its actually pretty easy to print a bit paper It will save you hundreds of pounds. Use the skyscanner app to get the cheapest possible flights to a destination. I was away for 3 months and used booking.com most of the time for hotels, I saved a fortune. Click on the lowest priced hotels with a pool etc then click on tripadvisor to see peoples thoughts on them. I was getting excellent hotels for a week for about £100. I got 5 nights, all inclusive in Cuba for £180. Tripadvisor is a fantastic thing because it has made nearly every hotel in the world up their game as reviews are now everything. Everyone with half a brain will check tripadvisor before they book up.
    Spot on CB. If you're on a budget I'd book flights and accommodation separately, Booking.com, Alpharooms or Travel Republic, just check them all.

And Andy, when you use Skyscanner, select the whole month's air fares so you can pick the cheapest dates....it's easy, honest

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Spot on CB. If you're on a budget I'd book flights and accommodation separately, Booking.com, Alpharooms or Travel Republic, just check them all.

And Andy, when you use Skyscanner, select the whole month's air fares so you can pick the cheapest dates....it's easy, honest

Cheers guys ill have a gander

I take it then you just make your own way to the destination from the Airport as the shuttle bus wont be included If flights and accommodation are separate.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Cheap package holidays are a thing of the past IMO.

We hunted about for last summer but I'm just not prepared to pay £1500 upwards for the 3 of us for 2 weeks in the sun. Not worth it in my opinion.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member
    British airways holidays have a great sale on just now. Well worth a look. We just booked Florida for oct with them,

We always just do it ourselves now. Quick look on easyjet for the flights and then booking.com or travelrepublic for the hotel. Easyjet fly loads of places cheap from either Edinburgh or Glasgow and you can check the years prices to get the best deals.

Only problem with April is that the schools are off for 2 weeks but there's still plenty of deals if you have a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    We always just do it ourselves now. Quick look on easyjet for the flights and then booking.com or travelrepublic for the hotel. Easyjet fly loads of places cheap from either Edinburgh or Glasgow and you can check the years prices to get the best deals.

Only problem with April is that the schools are off for 2 weeks but there's still plenty of deals if you have a good look.

But what happens if you arrive in say Zante airport and your hotel is 25 miles away?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Also if booking on the likes of Expedia, hotels.com, booking.com, etc. always Google to see if there is a discount code that can be used.

Trivago is useful for seeing the cheapest price for hotels.

@hibs.net private member

But what happens if you arrive in say Zante airport and your hotel is 25 miles away?
    You can pre book transfers or take your chance with a local taxi. I pre booked transfers in Paris with one of the travel sites, can't remember which one, trivago or similar.

Have you looked at the BA holiday site? They are advertising self catering for a week in April for under £200 or all inclusive for under £300 loads of destinations. Haven't looked at finer details, like airports though :)

There is always the local bus, train or a taxi. If you see a hotel you fancy you can check out the distance to/from the airport before booking.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Cheers guys ill have a gander

I take it then you just make your own way to the destination from the Airport as the shuttle bus wont be included If flights and accommodation are separate.
    Aye you have to book the shuttle bus separate. If you're going to Spain/Majorca etc Resorthoppa are decent. All in English Andy, nowt tae worry about http://www.resorthoppa.com/airport-transfers

Keep the questions coming if you're in doubt

How's about a week in Lisbon? Fantastic city with so much to do. Can fly easyjet on the 14th April returning on the 21st April for £91 return from Edinburgh .

How's about a week in Lisbon? Fantastic city with so much to do. Can fly easyjet on the 14th April returning on the 21st April for £91 return from Edinburgh .

Saw that bud BUT Hotels are like £500 lol....So kinda defeats the whole purpose,,,Unless i book flights with easyjet and find a hotel via booking.com

Saw that bud BUT Hotels are like £500 lol....So kinda defeats the whole purpose,,,Unless i book flights with easyjet and find a hotel via booking.com
    Have a look on travelrepublic as theres plenty on there for around the £200 mark. Lisbon is a fantastic city, cant rate it high enough. Will tell you what though, you can fly Madrid for under £100 notes return that week as well so you've one tough decision to be making .

Have a look on travelrepublic as theres plenty on there for around the £200 mark. Lisbon is a fantastic city, cant rate it high enough. Will tell you what though, you can fly Madrid for under £100 notes return that week as well so you've one tough decision to be making .

See you, I was thinking Santa Ponsa earlier now ma heid's pickled

Madrid is fairly cheap for a city when you are there.

Fly to Malaga airport on the 18th April and return on the 25th for £90 return with Norwegian airlines. You can then get a train from Malaga airport for £2 to Torremilinos, Benalmedina or Fuengirola. All resorts are decent enough for a week's cheap sun. You will get stacks of cheap hotels and apartments. You will get a weeks holiday, flight and hotel for £200 a head or less no problem.
    Last edited by CB_NO3; 31-12-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Earlier this year we got £800 each to florida for 17 nights including flights, nice hotel, transfer and car hire.

Shop around. I would think what your looking for should be around 200 quid a head if you plan it right. Contact me if you want some tips pal.
    Cougars!!!

Another tip if you drive. We've found that it can be much cheaper driving down to Newcastle Airport and paying to leave the car there rather than flying from Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Another tip if you drive. We've found that it can be much cheaper driving down to Newcastle Airport and paying to leave the car there rather than flying from Edinburgh or Glasgow.
    We always fly from newcastle as it's much cheaper than Edinburgh or Glasgow, cheap to park also and you can walk to the terminal.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    And if driving's not an option, you can get the train then metro, right in to the airport!
    We get the train from South Gyle in to Waverley then down to Newcastle APT. The journey takes the same time if not quicker than driving and we (2Ad 1Ch) saved £1500 on the last holiday!
    Doesn't always work with nighttime flights though, unless you stay over at the Premier Inn.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I flew from prestwick earlier this year, it was an early flight so I stayed in a hotel close by the night before. I was allowed to leave the car there and it worked out cheaper than parking at the airport.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!