hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I just hate all that Celtic sentimentality - all that crying into the beer stuff. I suppose that's what football is about but I still find it mawkish.

I am not keen on the Rangers equivalent either which tends to manifest itself in a sort of faux "uprightness" bordering on complete hypocrisy.

And for anyone doubting me in any way - yes I have run with the worst of them and have the scars to prove it.
    Run wi the worst of who? If you attended Scottish Football matches following Hibs in the 70s there is no question- cos if you were there you would have been undoubtadly kicked upside down at one stage or another, probably a few times, by, what is to me & I am very certain I will not witness anything as bad or as allowed to happen by a so called Scottish police force, but, the worst? By a country mile, by however large you could describe it, there will never for me be anything as lowlife disgusting as the 70s/80s huns. I was not there in generations before but after what I experienced, hats of to the Hibbies who attended in the 60s/50s & before cos if the earlier versions were as lowlife as what I saw, bearing in mind its all supposed to be a progression, well the earlier huns would have chased the neanderthals & sabre tooth tigers out of town. Theres just no comparison. Nothing nowhere lower than a hun.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    What does "swotted" mean?

Does he have exams coming up?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Joe Harper scored 49 goals in 99 appearances for us. I don't believe any Hibs player since then has equalled that ratio. I wish we had some more rubbish strikers like Harper (Joe that is! ).
    PS, I agree your comment re Kevin.
    Ah well - 50% agreement ain't bad.

You saw Lardass "play"?

Swotted or Swatted? I prefer twatted
    This is how it feels

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Swotted or Swatted? I prefer twatted

I would prefer him SPLATTED.

From a great height.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    What's a vine in this context?
    An ex Player ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    It's a 6 second video. I've got plenty home-made nudey movies starring me on vine.....with seconds to spare.
    No need to let us know that

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    What does "swotted" mean?

Does he have exams coming up?
    He had an exam at Easter Road and s found wanting !

@hibs.net private member Www1875hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Run wi the worst of who? If you attended Scottish Football matches following Hibs in the 70s there is no question- cos if you were there you would have been undoubtadly kicked upside down at one stage or another, probably a few times, by, what is to me & I am very certain I will not witness anything as bad or as allowed to happen by a so called Scottish police force, but, the worst? By a country mile, by however large you could describe it, there will never for me be anything as lowlife disgusting as the 70s/80s huns. I was not there in generations before but after what I experienced, hats of to the Hibbies who attended in the 60s/50s & before cos if the earlier versions were as lowlife as what I saw, bearing in mind its all supposed to be a progression, well the earlier huns would have chased the neanderthals & sabre tooth tigers out of town. Theres just no comparison. Nothing nowhere lower than a hun.
    This. I used to go through to ibrox to watch Hibs,when a crowd of 3,000 used to attend there home games.
    We used to stand behind the dug outs in the enclosure,and ended up down near the exit at the corner flag.
    Covered in spit.
    They are vermin.
    When big Craig Paterson signed for them,we used to stand outside the main stand for Craig to come out and hand over the complimentary tickets,only for Craig to be met with shouts of, "what are you giving they fenian *******s tickets fur"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Ah well - 50% agreement ain't bad.

You saw Lardass "play"?
    I did, starting with his first game at Falkirk when he was at least 2 stones overweight. I do also however remember him scoring our 1st SPL goal, the winner vs them, a left foot rocket from 25 yards. He was never popular because he was perceived to have broken up the Tornadoes, & the Jim O/ Alan G partnership in particular but his goal scoring record at ER was excellent & resulted in him being capped while at Hibs.

Gamer IDs

I did, starting with his first game at Falkirk when he was at least 2 stones overweight. I do also however remember him scoring our 1st SPL goal, the winner vs them, a left foot rocket from 25 yards. He was never popular because he was perceived to have broken up the Tornadoes, & the Jim O/ Alan G partnership in particular but his goal scoring record at ER was excellent & resulted in him being capped while at Hibs.
    Well he always seemed to me to be a sleekit wee devil who tended to hide when the going got tough and had a poisonous effect on the spirit if the team.

He was supposed to be the player who would win us the Championship - nothing could have been farther from the eventual outcome.

£140,000 in 1973? Turnbull must have been raving mad.

But it's clear we're not going to agree about this, isn't it?

I still don't understand to this day why Eddie Turnbull broke up the O'Rourke/Gordon partnership.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    I still don't understand to this day why Eddie Turnbull broke up the O'Rourke/Gordon partnership.
    My understanding is that he wasn't happy that AG was a part-timer - as AG had been throughout his career. Whether this was about some perceived lack of commitment on AG's part, or whether ET thought AG wasn't fit enough (which would have been ridiculous given the way AG played and scored for Hibs the previous season) I don't know.

AG was an independent, educated guy, and I think ET felt uncomfortable with him. AG had opinions of his own and expressed them, which I don't think went down too well with the manager (and chairman) of the day ....

I've never understood his treatment of Seamus - that lad bled green-and-white and IMO was treated very badly by ET and Tom Hart.

Bad times those.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    My understanding is that he wasn't happy that AG was a part-timer - as AG had been throughout his career. Whether this was about some perceived lack of commitment on AG's part, or whether ET thought AG wasn't fit enough (which would have been ridiculous given the way AG played and scored for Hibs the previous season) I don't know.

AG was an independent, educated guy, and I think ET felt uncomfortable with him. AG had opinions of his own and expressed them, which I don't think went down too well with the manager (and chairman) of the day ....

I've never understood his treatment of Seamus - that lad bled green-and-white and IMO was treated very badly by ET and Tom Hart.

Bad times those.

"The trouble wi you gordon is yer brains are a in yer heid" - is that just an old wives tale or did ET say that I wonder...

Joe Harper scored 49 goals in 99 appearances for us. I don't believe any Hibs player since then has equalled that ratio. I wish we had some more rubbish strikers like Harper (Joe that is! ).
    PS, I agree your comment re Kevin.
    I know Harper was not the most popular chap but who cares when he's banging the goals in? No one's perfect.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberSeven View Post
    Yesterday says a lot about what the rangers management thinks about Black. He was in book not even half an hour into the game and they didn't trust him to hold his discipline for the remainder of the game. He was an absolute certainty to get sent off if he had been kept on the pitch. You could see him starting to get frustrated, confronting hibs players in his cringeworthy wee "i'm a hard nut" act and throwing his usual leg breaker tackles at people. Horrible little hot head who thinks he's some sort of hard man.

It also says a lot that the rangers fans hate him considering all the other despicable characters they have had playing for them in the past and loved.
    For every Hun that dislikes him, there'll be 10 who love him as he epitomises 'their type of player' !!. Tom Forsyth, Gregor Cowan, Ian Black etc ARE the type of players these cretins love - they might appreciate the occasional player actually capable of playing the game but given the choice between 'Skill' and 'Thuggery', history shows the majority of themidolise the latter !!

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Ditto - I loved Eddie Turnbull but could never understand why he chose to do this, especially in Alan Gordon's case as he was in the running for the 'Golden Boot of Europe' that very season ?? (For younger fans, the 'Golden Boot' thing was basically a competition for the highest-scorer in Europe)

Hearing he is running up and down in barry Hughes Bentley

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Hearing he is running up and down in barry Hughes Bentley
    Is that who it belongs to ? He had it at the East Fife game

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    For every Hun that dislikes him, there'll be 10 who love him as he epitomises 'their type of player' !!. Tom Forsyth, Gregor Cowan, Ian Black etc ARE the type of players these cretins love - they might appreciate the occasional player actually capable of playing the game but given the choice between 'Skill' and 'Thuggery', history shows the majority of themidolise the latter !!
    I think you may have been thinking of this cheekie chappie, one Gregor Stevens

gregor stevens on garry murray march 83.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post
    I think you may have been thinking of this cheekie chappie, one Gregor Stevens

gregor stevens on garry murray march 83.jpg
    Not sure that the Rangers fans hold Black in the same regard as they did Stevens and Forsyth to be fair. Though in fairness, even I warmed to Forsyth after THAT tackle on Mick Channon...

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post
    "The trouble wi you gordon is yer brains are a in yer heid" - is that just an old wives tale or did ET say that I wonder...
    With a few expletives deleted, I believe he did. I had it from a Herald journalist and close friend who got it straight from AG.

As far as Ian Black goes, I think it's not a fair comparison to link him with Tom Forsyth. I wouldn't deny that Forsyth was a hard, hard player who wasn't too choosy about how he stopped the other player, but he wasn't a coward like Black. Black likes to dish it out, but changes colour (to a pasty, bilious yellow) whenever he gets some back. He wouldn't have lived ten minutes on the same field as the old-time hard men - he'd have been carried off snivelling for his mammy if Shades or Sloop or Jacky Mac had got one in on him. BBJ would have buried him in several pieces.

Gregor Stevens was a bit more in the Black mould - never had any time for him, but like HoboHarry I could never entirely dislike Forsyth after that tackle on Channon.

He had to be inch-perfect on the ball or it was a penalty and Engerlund would steal a totally-undeserved draw - and he was.

First Team Breakthrough
    https://vine.co/v/OjKYvKVgvLA

Heres a slo-mo vine of it

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBru22 View Post

That is brilliant.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBru22 View Post

Best.vine.ever

That's a great angle

Makes you kinda warm inside watching that tramp getting put on his erchy

Love it!!

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Doddie;4262352]With a few expletives deleted, I believe he did. I had it from a Herald journalist and close friend who got it straight from AG.
    You're correct Doddie, it definitely happened. I spent a lot of time in Jim O's company in the 70's & I remember him falling about laughing at ET's riposte to "Tosh" as AG was known. TBF to ET in breaking up the Tornadoes he only did in the 70's what other managers since, notably Fergie, have taken as their template. The Tornadoes were unfortunate in that they were competing against an excellent Celtc team, one that had been in 2 European Cup finals in the 5 years prior to our League Cup win & who had replaced older players with the likes of Dalglish, Macari, Hay & Connelly. Despite that the Tornadoes underachieved. Turnbull believed his team were not mentally tough enough, nor did we have a big enough squad ( we effectively operated with 14 players ) hence his signing of Harper & throwing down a challenge to the other players. It didn't work but it's hard to argue with his logic.
    One clarification, I don't believe Alan Gordon was ever part time. You're correct that he continued to work as an accountant while at ER but that, IIRC, had no impact on his footballing requirements.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Has the wee dickhead even gotten a game since that?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Has the wee dickhead even gotten a game since that?
    Benched