hibs.net Messageboard

Blog Entries

I'm new to Pink Floyd

I know I am years behind but I just bought Pink Floyd's new album and wondered if anyone on here could recommend an album for beginners? My family say if I play The Smiths all day every day for much longer they are going to crack up!

<3Mozza

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by <3Morrissey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know I am years behind but I just bought Pink Floyd's new album and wondered if anyone on here could recommend an album for beginners? My family say if I play The Smiths all day every day for much longer they are going to crack up!

<3Mozza
    The Best of Pink Floyd.

Seriously, if you get Dark Side of the Moon, and really get it..... you'll probably not need to bother with any other.

Although Wish You Were Here ain't bad either.

<3Mozza
    Comfortably Numb in my top 5 all time tracks, agree with previous poster re dark side of the moon. Top album.
    As a side note, Roger Waters Radio Kaos is really good as a solo album.
    Enjoy,

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Dark side then wish you were here would be my recommendations. If you get into those then animals and meddle, maybe division bell. I'm not into the wall or the final cut personally but everything else is excellent imo. Covers a 40 year period and a lot of changes but well worth checking out and if you like it there's a massive back catalogue to explore. Good luck and enjoy

Sorry ladies you're all wrong!!! The Final Cut is there best.... Also Roger Waters "The Pro's and Cons of Hitchhiking is a fantastic album. And if you can track it down David Gilmour live in Gdansk. Guitar solos are just incredible....

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    Sorry ladies you're all wrong!!! The Final Cut is there best.... Also Roger Waters "The Pro's and Cons of Hitchhiking is a fantastic album. And if you can track it down David Gilmour live in Gdansk. Guitar solos are just incredible....
    It's on spotify Mikey. Heard the version of fat old sun from that album on tom robinson's interview with dave gilmour a couple of weeks ago on 6 music (think it's still available on catch up) and you're right the solo on that is fantastic.
    Last edited by Mr White; 20-12-2014 at 12:51 AM.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Delicate sound of thunder is a supeb album.

If you think you are going to cheer yourself up withPink Floyd , think again
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post

Christ after listening to that much Morresey, a bit of pink floyd will have him jumping around like Boris Johnson on ecstasy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post

No much chance of cheering up, Morrissey and the Smiths fill my CD racks

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Dark side then wish you were here would be my recommendations. If you get into those then animals and meddle, maybe division bell. I'm not into the wall or the final cut personally but everything else is excellent imo. Covers a 40 year period and a lot of changes but well worth checking out and if you like it there's a massive back catalogue to explore. Good luck and enjoy
    Think I'd put Meddle next after Dark Side of the Moon and Wish you were here.

<3Mozza
    I'd suggest (somewhat belatedly) that you have a listen to "The Piper at The Gates of Dawn" - Syd Barrett's finest hour perhaps and it will certainly give you an idea where Floyd came from ... not saying it's the best, but certainly interesting perhaps for someone new to the Floyd ... this one might even put a smile on your face, unlike the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    I'd suggest (somewhat belatedly) that you have a listen to "The Piper at The Gates of Dawn" - Syd Barrett's finest hour perhaps and it will certainly give you an idea where Floyd came from ... not saying it's the best, but certainly interesting perhaps for someone new to the Floyd ... this one might even put a smile on your face, unlike the rest!
    you can trace barrett's decline in mental health through that album: astronomy domine and lucifer sam he shows maverick creative genious, by interstellar overdrive he's getting a bit further out there. By the time you get to bike (via a gnome called grimble gromble of course) he's barking at the moon.

@hibs.net private member
    Sky Arts having a Pink Floyd weekend this weekend OP, maybe worth a watch/listen.

Never been into them personally but my brother and my old man love them.

Each to their own and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by EskbankHibby View Post
    Sky Arts having a Pink Floyd weekend this weekend OP, maybe worth a watch/listen.

Never been into them personally but my brother and my old man love them.

Each to their own and all that.
    They're showing Live at Pompeii followed by the Stones from 1972 then the Doors from 1968. It's going to be a late night for me.

I would say Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, then listen to live albums, Delicate Sound of Thunder and Pulse. After that go as far back as you like. Division Bell is a good modern Floyd Album. Hope you get into them as they are a class act, or were as a band. Individually you have David Gilmour and Roger Waters with material to get you going on another track.

Stones just finished. Forgot how good a guitarist Mick Taylor was and how much they just breezed through their sets. Now for the Doors Live at the Hollywood Bowl. Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour on at 2:40. I'll be a wreck tomorrow.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Atom Heart Mother either positive or negative. Not my favourite Floyd album but has some interesting parts to it.
    Last edited by Geo_1875; 06-02-2015 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Stones just finished. Forgot how good a guitarist Mick Taylor was and how much they just breezed through their sets. Now for the Doors Live at the Hollywood Bowl. Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour on at 2:40. I'll be a wreck tomorrow.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Atom Heart Mother either positive or negative. Not my favourite Floyd album but has some interesting parts to it.

Now you're talking.... James Douglas Morrison.... Now, he was a genius.

First Team Breakthrough

Forgot this was on though got Pompeii on DVD. Might have the stones one too. You're right Taylor brought a lot to them. Wood opted for the clown routine as a foil for keef but isn't the guitarist he could be IMO, or was in the Faces.

Atom heart never did it for me but then I haven't listened to it in a long while so maybe worth revisiting. Always thought More and the other soundtrack one ( forget name) had some nice tracks too

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar

As you can imagine, I go back to Piper at the Gates and beyond. The whole musical journey is fascinating, with at least 3 different Floyds along the way, so which albums appeal must be very much a personal thing. But Atom Heart was interesting for me as one of those big musical turning points. If Ummagumma was fiddling after Syd burned, Atom Heart was the start of getting it together. But agree that they finally got it all together with Dark Side. Wish You Were Here/Animals are also great for their emotional attack on the establishment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by atomheartfather View Post
    As you can imagine, I go back to Piper at the Gates and beyond. The whole musical journey is fascinating, with at least 3 different Floyds along the way, so which albums appeal must be very much a personal thing. But Atom Heart was interesting for me as one of those big musical turning points. If Ummagumma was fiddling after Syd burned, Atom Heart was the start of getting it together. But agree that they finally got it all together with Dark Side. Wish You Were Here/Animals are also great for their emotional attack on the establishment.

Funny that everyone agrees that Dark Side was a high point but I find it very calculated in that it is probably the first easily accessible Floyd album. Rather too commercial and radio friendly for me. Some great songs but Floyd weren't about songs. A bit like Genesis after Gabriel. WTF is Abacab and Sussudio all about?

I've just finished nick masons autobiography inside out and I think he'd agree with you that atom heart mother was a marker for the way the group would head in the 70's. The 3 songs sandwiched inbetween the 2 bigger pieces are 3 of their finest pre-meddle for me.

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    I've just finished nick masons autobiography inside out and I think he'd agree with you that atom heart mother was a marker for the way the group would head in the 70's. The 3 songs sandwiched inbetween the 2 bigger pieces are 3 of their finest pre-meddle for me.
    I saw them live at Stirling Uni sometime around that time, and their set was still largely "Set The Controls" etc but bits of the new stuff were creeping in. I can't find the exact date, but it must have have been late 1970 or early 1971 as I was working at S&N Breweries at the time.
    Those were the days, a life of . and Turnbull's Tornadoes just around the corner

@hibs.net private member
    Meddle. Say no more.

I saw them live at Stirling Uni sometime around that time, and their set was still largely "Set The Controls" etc but bits of the new stuff were creeping in. I can't find the exact date, but it must have have been late 1970 or early 1971 as I was working at S&N Breweries at the time.
    Those were the days, a life of . and Turnbull's Tornadoes just around the corner
    You lucky old *******

Blog Entries
    I've got Sky Arts on record basically all weekend, thanks for the heads up folks.

<3Mozza

Atom Heart Mother.