hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

Celebration of the founding of Hibernian FC

With the forthcoming 140th anniversary being on 6th August Next year. I thought it would be good to share what one of our Supporters Branches have been discussing.

Link below.

http://hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/category/news/

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the forthcoming 140th anniversary being on 6th August Next year. I thought it would be good to share what one of our Supporters Branches have been discussing.

Link below.

As a St Pats member, I thoroughly endorse the proposals put forward. I did propose to the branch a commemorative bust of Canon Hannan to be placed at his birthplace - Balingary.

A one- off strip incorporating the original badge and a plaque outside the West stand gets my vote.

Be interested to see what other branches of fans in general think.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I was speaking with my dad about this the other week and I was thinking how good the away top would look as a Home top and a white collar?

gordon.jpg

This strip would be appropriate; maybe the knickers could be a bit shorter though

1875 strip.JPG

from

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scot.../hibernian.htm

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    I'm all for the commemorative badge and/or strip. The strip would have to be as similar to the original as possible though, this year's was a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    I'm all for the commemorative badge and/or strip. The strip would have to be as similar to the original as possible though, this year's was a disaster.

As much as I like our current badge, I wouldn't mind having the original as a one-off.

Not too keen on the white top and green knickerbockers though

Coaching Staff

Link below.

Do we do it all again for 150 is the question in relation to commemorative strips and so on?

Good ideas but is 140 a significant one? Presume Hibs think so if they are discussing it. I do like a good retro strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Do we do it all again for 150 is the question in relation to commemorative strips and so on?

Good ideas but is 140 a significant one? Presume Hibs think so if they are discussing it. I do like a good retro strip.
    Would be good to have the away for next year as a white top with the old badge and perhaps a minimised sponsor.

The home simply has to be green with white sleeves Famous 5/Turnbulls tornadoes colours and look.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious St Pat View Post
    As a St Pats member, I thoroughly endorse the proposals put forward. I did propose to the branch a commemorative bust of Canon Hannan to be placed at his birthplace - Balingary.

A one- off strip incorporating the original badge and a plaque outside the West stand gets my vote.

I`ll be over in Ireland next two weeks for Christmas, and have always meant to take a trip to Balingarry to visit the birthplace of Edward Hannan. It`s a two hour drive from where the family stay in Co Galway, but slightly closer is Kilglass in Co Roscommon, the birthplace of Michael Whelahan. Between the two, I`ll try to visit one of them as I`m sure the desire for some peace and quiet will arise at some point!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I thought our first strip was hoops?

United we stand here....

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I thought our first strip was hoops?
    Not until the next year - the link above has the order.

Some grim stuff in the 90s and 00s!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

Don't know TBH, they are definitely discussing so I passed on. Me too on the strip - got quite a few.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Link below.

Great 140 years old, but if you want Hibs to have just 500 supporters go ahead with your Irish history. However Hibs are much more than that and while I respect that is one aspect of the club it would, from a marketing perspective alone, be mad to appeal to a such a small section of Scotland. Hibs are Irish, Scottish and British so lets not forget the entire rainbow please.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

Do St.Pats run buses to games?

Quote Originally Posted by Islington Hibs View Post
    Great 140 years old, but if you want Hibs to have just 500 supporters go ahead with your Irish history. However Hibs are much more than that and while I respect that is one aspect of the club it would, from a marketing perspective alone, be mad to appeal to a such a small section of Scotland. Hibs are Irish, Scottish and British so lets not forget the entire rainbow please.
    hopefully you will see that my intent in posting was to pass on what I'd read to more than "just 500 supporters" Don't shoot the messenger please.

Sir Matt Busby

hopefully you will see that my intent in posting was to pass on what I'd read to more than "just 500 supporters" Don't shoot the messenger please.
    Fair cop!

All I would ask is lets be inclusive and not sectarian.

I actually think our current badge is about right celebrating Ireland, Leith and Edinburgh.

If it was my call I would have us playing in our 1950's thick cotton strips.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    A while ago, I had a troll through the old census records for 1881 and 1871, specifically 11 South Gray Close which was the priests house for St Pats. or the Old Church as it is named.

Edward Hannan ( age 44 ) is noted as the head of the " household " and there is a Joseph Hannan ( age 24 ) also in residence. Would that be a brother or cousin ? . They also had 4 female servants living in the priests' house , liked their home comforts.

I also looked at the census for Glasgow , 71 Charlotte Street where Andrew Kerins ( Celtic's Brother Walfred ) was based. I was looking to see if any priest had been at St. Pats when Hibs were established and had moved to Glasgow's East End in time for setting up the lesser greens.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be. Would have been nice to send to the script writers of the film that was supposed to be made about the great Celtic Football Club invention of a charitable foundation funded by playing football.

Fair cop!

All I would ask is lets be inclusive and not sectarian.

I actually think our current badge is about right celebrating Ireland, Leith and Edinburgh.

If it was my call I would have us playing in our 1950's thick cotton strips.
    and a proper leather fitba that weighs 4 stone wet and a great big lace that splits your head when you header it.

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    No they don't, many of their members travel on other branch buses and the bounce if they run one. One of their committee did mention running a bus next season

Not as a branch but several joint ventures with the bounce, Ive had numerous cracking days away.
    Having frequently travelled on Libby Travel, Carlton, Southern back in the day, as a branch member I'd be delighted if St Pats could have the away day pull as previously mentioned branches.

Quote Originally Posted by oconnors_strip View Post
    No they don't, many of their members travel on other branch buses and the bounce if they run one. One of their committee did mention running a bus next season
    Thanks Nikki. Can't recall in recent times anyone saying they travelled with them.

It would be good if a club as established as St. Pats were to run a bus, the more buses the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by trev the hat View Post
    Not as a branch but several joint ventures with the bounce, Ive had numerous cracking days away.
    Having frequently travelled on Libby Travel, Carlton, Southern back in the day, as a branch member I'd be delighted if St Pats could have the away day pull as previously mentioned branches.

Yes, it would be good.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Thanks Nikki. Can't recall in recent times anyone saying they travelled with them.

It would be good if a club as established as St. Pats were to run a bus, the more buses the merrier.
    I know things have changed since i used to travel every other week on the bus, there used to be a few double deckers leave from the corner of albion road for away games for those who were not branch members, along with all the branch buses.

In the early 70s i'd reckon we would take 15 or so buses maybe more some games?

More and more i assume are going by car?

How many buses do we take these days?
    Last edited by blackpoolhibs; 19-12-2014 at 06:25 PM.

[/B]

Yes, it would be good.
    Can be done Scoops, Falkirk semi final was 2 dedicated full branch buses iirc
    & I enjoyed pre post craic immensely .
    Winning team certainly is a strong persuader (see Robert Cray)

Left by mutual consent!
    The last time I spoke to Big Gordon they were considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I know things have changed since i used to travel every other week on the bus, there used to be a few double deckers leave from the corner of albion road for away games for those who were not branch members, along with all the branch buses.

In the early 70s i'd reckon we would take 15 or so buses maybe more some games?

More and more i assume are going by car?

How many buses do we take these days?
    There are very few away games where Carlton (Baldy Foghorn), Four in Hand (IFONLY) and East Lothian Hibs (Brooster / Scoopyboy) don't run buses.

Milton Mowray (monkton harp) and Linlithgow ( can't recall organiser, sorry) also run buses. Apologies if I have missed other regular buses (possibly Dalkeith / Bonnyrigg).

I love seeing away car parks full of Hibs buses.

There are very few away games where Carlton (Baldy Foghorn), Four in Hand (IFONLY) and East Lothian Hibs (Brooster / Scoopyboy) don't run buses.

Milton Mowray (monkton harp) and Linlithgow ( can't recall organiser, sorry) also run buses. Apologies if I have missed other regular buses (possibly Dalkeith / Bonnyrigg).

I love seeing away car parks full of Hibs buses.
    It might be an old fashioned view, but like you i love seeing an away car park full of our buses. Its only really cup semi's and finals now i suppose where we do this.

Yet on average it does appear numbers are still decent.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ok I'm going to bite....it's about celebrating our roots so therefore original badge and colours would suffice. No need for compromise as we already have done so.

Get over it we were formed by Irishmen who took the name Hibernian "the most Irish name of all"!

Ok I'm going to bite....it's about celebrating our roots so therefore original badge and colours would suffice. No need for compromise as we already have done so.

Get over it we were formed by Irishmen who took the name Hibernian "the most Irish name of all"!
    Should a 140 year anniversary not celebrate the whole spectrum and not just the roots?

I've no issue with celebrating our roots, I'm exceptionally proud of them, but we are so much more than that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Should a 140 year anniversary not celebrate the whole spectrum and not just the roots?

I've no issue with celebrating our roots, I'm exceptionally proud of them, but we are so much more than that.
    Every anniversary is about all the years not just the conception of the club. If that were the case we'd just have a celebration of our Irishness every year?