hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    sorry, dont mean to be a ****wit about this, but why weren't they told to sell the stadium to help pay for their debts ?
    To think they might make any money out of that dump now is a joke
    That is what happened.

The company who owned Hearts sold the stadium and club to Mrs. B, to help pay some of their debts.

Not the answer I think you wanted, but....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Mrs Budge does deserve credit here. She is facing some uncomfortable truths and stating that difficult choices will need to be made. Incidentally, they are the same difficult choices that many of our fellows have slated our board for making: investing in infrastructure and living within our means.

The good news for us is that short of getting scandalous support from the Council, they don't really have an answer to the problem. Tynecastle isn't fit for purpose. It isn't getting any better no matter how much paint they throw at it.

It will be interesting watching developments over the coming months and years. Lots to go on this story, that's for sure.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Thanks CWG...........businesses and administration eh ?
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

This was always coming. The Council have been wanting to build a stadium out near Riccarton for a while in partnership with Business Investors (Murray?). Does not surprise me that they will hand out more favours to their wee pet football club and Hearts (even with the predictable rage at leaving the Bus Shelter from their spectacularly thick fans) won't look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth. Ok they won't own it but I'll bet you the rent will be of the peppercorn variety.

Credit to Mrs B though for telling the truth on this matter. She's taken a look at the costs the club has to pay every year for patching up that dilapidated asbestos ridden wreck of a stadium and baulked.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan62 View Post
    Mrs Budge does deserve credit here. She is facing some uncomfortable truths and stating that difficult choices will need to be made. Incidentally, they are the same difficult choices that many of our fellows have slated our board for making: investing in infrastructure and living within our means.

The good news for us is that short of getting scandalous support from the Council, they don't really have an answer to the problem. Tynecastle isn't fit for purpose. It isn't getting any better no matter how much paint they throw at it.

It will be interesting watching developments over the coming months and years. Lots to go on this story, that's for sure.
    Do you think that Hibs are capable of taking advantage and making it count on the pitch?

Mrs B is a highly intelligent and capable business woman who ran a company that was far, far bigger than Hearts FC in terms of turnoverand unlike them it made a profit year on year.

I think you might be disappointed there Alan. The Council has always been Hearts Minded IMHO and has screwed Hibs over on a few occasions such as with the Lochend Butterfly land and consistently frustrating Hibs when we were trying to get a Training Ground.

Again I'll say she deserves no credit for stating the bleeding obvious. She's only telling the truth so why should we hold her up as a paragon of virtue?

And as for the council, they will bend over backwards and help wherever they can. Cardownie in particular will bend over backwards and lick his own bawsack for his beloved hertz.

Testimonial Due
    I am well aware of Mrs B's previous business record and know a few folks who worked with her.

I also believe that the Council is (and probably always will be) Hearts-minded. They're more exposed to public scrutiny in these austere times and that may help. There are still those around who would bend over backwards to help them though.

As for Hibs taking advantage on the pitch, I genuinely believe that is what we are working towards. I have always thought that Petrie played the long game. As things stand, which clubs in Scotland (other than Celtic) are better placed than Hibs in terms of underlying economics?

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    I am well aware of Mrs B's previous business record and know a few folks who worked with her.

I also believe that the Council is (and probably always will be) Hearts-minded. They're more exposed to public scrutiny in these austere times and that may help. There are still those around who would bend over backwards to help them though.

As for Hibs taking advantage on the pitch, I genuinely believe that is what we are working towards. I have always thought that Petrie played the long game. As things stand, which clubs in Scotland (other than Celtic) are better placed than Hibs in terms of underlying economics?

How long is Petrie's game then? Did it involve spectacularly falling into the championship at a time when Rangers and Hearts were at their lowest points in history?!
    We should have been taking advantage on the pitch years ago, the lack of ambition and horrendous managerial appointments cost us that.

Looks like Budgie has already dismissed the idea of a new main stand and you can see why.

The current death trap holds 4,500 and the Yams would be looking to up that to a minimum of 8,000 to reach a 20,000 + capacity. If the main stand is listed then any new building would need to at least preserve the faηade of the old stand. The cost for an increase in capacity of about 5,000 would be outrageous. If our west stand cost approximately £7,000,000 then a new main stand at the PBS would probably at a guess cost at least £12,000,000. Moving looks well on the cards.

As Mr White's post alluded to the Carrick knows golf course site would be ideal for the Yams if their friends at the council were to pave the way. But if the council were to be involved either there or at Riccarton for example they would insist on a multi purpose stadium. The ultimate nightmare for any fitba fan ... a home ground with an 8 lane running track round the pitch

I find this all very uplifting

Budge on the news....

Budge was on the news saying that it's not too important should they fail to get promoted at first time of asking. In her view the more important things were getting the youth policy sorted out, thereby gaining a foothold for the future. She also touched on the issue of the PBS saying basically that all options were open at present. She also said that it's more important for clubs to be looking at how to improve the game as opposed to looking out for themselves. I think in the latter statement she is entirely correct and the clubs should all be looking at how we attract more youngsters and make the football experience a better one.
    Sounds like they have someone with a bit of common sense for a change.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    Budge was on the news saying that it's not too important should they fail to get promoted at first time of asking. In her view the more important things were getting the youth policy sorted out, thereby gaining a foothold for the future. She also touched on the issue of the PBS saying basically that all options were open at present. She also said that it's more important for clubs to be looking at how to improve the game as opposed to looking out for themselves. I think in the latter statement she is entirely correct and the clubs should all be looking at how we attract more youngsters and make the football experience a better one.
    Sounds like they have someone with a bit of common sense for a change.
    Bit ****ing rich coming from that mob though eh ?
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    As things stand, which clubs in Scotland (other than Celtic) are better placed than Hibs in terms of underlying economics?
    At the moment, I think Ross County, ICT, Kilmarnock, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen are all debt free or have agreements in place to that effect. Others too.

Hibs are currently carrying a fairly large mortgage, trading at a loss, and in the 2nd tier where TV income is lower and fans are less inclined to turn up.

The master plan is working a treat!

Dundee United, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock...........

Another problem they have if they were to rebuild their Main Stand is that the UEFA ruling would immediately kick in requiring them to have a pitch of 105m x 68m (and also a wider pitch side area). That's what Hibs had to do when we built the East Stand.

Doing so would mean removing yet more rows of seats from the front of the other three stands, meaning the Main stand would have to be bigger just to compensate for the loss of capacity elsewhere.

There are rules in place currently that allow smaller pitches in UEFA competitions but it only protects them until they do any re-building. I think thise applies to a number of Stadia, including Anfield.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 26-11-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Certainly an interesting interview which in part,at least, stated the obvious .
    As it stands she has brought what appears to be solid stability to the club but the proof will be when the " Slum Dwellers " have to run it themselves
    For me the " jury is out" on anything to do with the financial future of HofMFC until they are owned by the supporters

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Having now watched the interview, I think Budge is being a little disingenuous when she says she has no idea whether or not Hearts should move from Tynecastle. She seems pretty shrewd and I can't imagine her going into this without a plan. It just depends on whether it happens under her watch or if she has sold up by the time they need to go.

She's obviously authorised some repair and maintenance works to keep Tynecastle viable for the next couple of years, but after that?

I thought the other three newer stands were built with cheap steel and only have a life of around 25 years? When were they built? The clock is ticking loudly on old tincastle.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    Having now watched the interview, I think Budge is being a little disingenuous when she says she has no idea whether or not Hearts should move from Tynecastle. She seems pretty shrewd and I can't imagine her going into this without a plan. It just depends on whether it happens under her watch or if she has sold up by the time they need to go.

She's obviously authorised some repair and maintenance works to keep Tynecastle viable for the next couple of years, but after that?
    If she doesn't think they need to move from Tynie then why mention it. Sounds like she's got a tame journo to ask the question so she can float the idea.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    What would be a good name for their new stadium?

Poppy Park
    Cheat Lane
    The Thievery

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    That is what happened.

The company who owned Hearts sold the stadium and club to Mrs. B, to help pay some of their debts.

Not the answer I think you wanted, but....
    Not forgetting they revalued the stadium about 6 months before they went tits up.

Reduced the value from about £ 18 million to £ 2 million. Making it far easier to do a deal with Budge.
    Last edited by greenginger; 26-11-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post

Poppy Park
    Cheat Lane
    The Thievery
    Shameless Arena

Poppy Park
    Cheat Lane
    The Thievery
    The Default Dome

Testimonial Due
    KeiththeHibby - The long game is still playing. We're still feeling the impact of infrastructural investment. That combined with managerial issues (not all of which were the board's making - Tony Mowbray's departure for example) has led to a downturn in the quality of the team which has in turn caused a decline in support - and, of course, revenue.

Mistakes have been made, for sure, but I think we all agree that the current administration is working hard to rectify problems.

As for the better placed Scottish clubs, Jacomoseven and Keekaboo, I would probably question all of your suggestions:
    • Ross County? Seriously? Tiny wee club with a sugar daddy owner. Can barely buy a win under the current manager.
    • Kilmarnock? Eh? Just engineered a fairly dubious deal to 'take their debt away' and have infrastructure that we would most certainly turn our noses up at.
    • ICT? Yer having a laugh. Have you been there?
    • Dundee Utd. Haven't been for a while but last time I looked, that ground needed serious upgrading.
    • Aberdeen? The nice windfall from the local squillionaire has helped them enormously. They still have to build a new ground and a new training ground.
    • St Johnstone? To be fair to St Johnstone, they're a well run club. While they've performed better than us in recent years, their ambitions will always be limited by the scale of the market they serve.

As for Hibernian? Our board bit the bullet on infrastructure. We're still paying down long term debt and struggling a bit with ongoing revenue. It's clear that the changes implemented earlier this year are designed to capitalise on the club's potential. Leanne Dempster is working hard to bring the club closer to the fans and to improve revenue. The club has appointed an ambitious manager and afforded him a high quality backroom team. The football is improving. Hopefully, we'll start to see results.

KeiththeHibby - The long game is still playing. We're still feeling the impact of infrastructural investment. That combined with managerial issues (not all of which were the board's making - Tony Mowbray's departure for example) has led to a downturn in the quality of the team which has in turn caused a decline in support - and, of course, revenue.

Mistakes have been made, for sure, but I think we all agree that the current administration is working hard to rectify problems.

As for the better placed Scottish clubs, Jacomoseven and Keekaboo, I would probably question all of your suggestions:
    • Ross County? Seriously? Tiny wee club with a sugar daddy owner. Can barely buy a win under the current manager.
    • Kilmarnock? Eh? Just engineered a fairly dubious deal to 'take their debt away' and have infrastructure that we would most certainly turn our noses up at.
    • ICT? Yer having a laugh. Have you been there?
    • Dundee Utd. Haven't been for a while but last time I looked, that ground needed serious upgrading.
    • Aberdeen? The nice windfall from the local squillionaire has helped them enormously. They still have to build a new ground and a new training ground.
    • St Johnstone? To be fair to St Johnstone, they're a well run club. While they've performed better than us in recent years, their ambitions will always be limited by the scale of the market they serve.

As for Hibernian? Our board bit the bullet on infrastructure. We're still paying down long term debt and struggling a bit with ongoing revenue. It's clear that the changes implemented earlier this year are designed to capitalise on the club's potential. Leanne Dempster is working hard to bring the club closer to the fans and to improve revenue. The club has appointed an ambitious manager and afforded him a high quality backroom team. The football is improving. Hopefully, we'll start to see results.
    All the teams you mentioned are doing a lot better than us. Trying to make out this disgraceful situation we find ourselves in is all part of some master plan is extreme happy clapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    I thought the other three newer stands were built with cheap steel and only have a life of around 25 years? When were they built? The clock is ticking loudly on old tincastle.

No idea about the lifespan but I think they were built between '94 and '97.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    All the teams you mentioned are doing a lot better than us. Trying to make out this disgraceful situation we find ourselves in is all part of some master plan is extreme happy clapping.
    Happy clapping? I don't think so. Hibernian's board focused on infrastructure. That strategy came at a material cost to the product on the park. The other teams have focused on the football by and large but have been putting off the inevitable investment in infrastructure. What happens when they have to invest in that?

First Team Breakthrough

Poppy Park
    Cheat Lane
    The Thievery
    saville road

I thought this was a thread about Hearts, but it seems to be just another reason to take a swipe at Hibs

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    A nice new stadium somewhere in the middle of the Sutherland is far away enough.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875