hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Livingston FC

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah, he is still basking in the glory of ridding sectarianism in Scotland.
    Bizzare statement tbh. Cheap digs at someone who campaigned for his own countries independence unnecessary imo

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by aberdeenhibby View Post
    McCormack came from the Huns academy Livingston have brought through Leigh Griffiths Robert Snodgrass, Graeme Dorrans, Andrew Halliday, Murray Davidson, Stefan Scougall, Marc McNulty
    You forgot Martin 'jimmy' Scott !!!!!!

When Livingston was built the idea was that over 80% of the population would be from the slums of Glasgow. The West coast twang and allegiances remain to this day and as football is passed down from father to son I don't see anything changing. They've been fighting a losing battle from the word go and the only way to make something like that work is to chuck money at it. Their ground is far too big and their natural position in relation to their fan base is probably the third or fourth division. You just can't plonk a team into a new town and expect lots of interest as the people aren't "new".

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skipster7 View Post
    Bizzare statement tbh. Cheap digs at someone who campaigned for his own countries independence unnecessary imo
    Yeah, i thought that as well when he said it.

Can't get worked up at the thought of the demise of Livingston. Have played cheque book football throughout their relatively short existance.

Quote Originally Posted by aberdeenhibby View Post
    McCormack came from the Huns academy Livingston have brought through Leigh Griffiths Robert Snodgrass, Graeme Dorrans, Andrew Halliday, Murray Davidson, Stefan Scougall, Marc McNulty
    Wes Hoolahan was there, albeit signed from Ireland.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    Can't get worked up at the thought of the demise of Livingston. Have played cheque book football throughout their relatively short existance.
    and cheated us out of a cup

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    and cheated us out of a cup
    Behave, that's just cringey.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Just a murmur but im led to believe in excess of 2 Million.
    I think the case relates to bonuses ex CEO Jed Nixon paid in cash to some players.
    Certainly nowhere near that amount.

Tesco want the Land..

And Lidl..

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Behave, that's just cringey.
    Might be but true. They were in admin when they played us but did not pay off players until after the final.

Find it really odd folk get worked up about Hearts& Rangers but don't hold it against Livingston, Gretna, Dundee, Motherwell etc. They are guilty of financial doping and have to learn to live within their means.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Yeah, i thought that as well when he said it.
    He claimed to have rid Scotland of sectarianism ?? I must have missed that ;-)

Might be but true. They were in admin when they played us but did not pay off players until after the final.

Find it really odd folk get worked up about Hearts& Rangers but don't hold it against Livingston, Gretna, Dundee, Motherwell etc. They are guilty of financial doping and have to learn to live within their means.
    That's a fair point. Archie, Marvin, Derek Townsley played in that final with no hope of ever sustaining that level of spending. Can't see why anyone would condone that.

That's a fair point. Archie, Marvin, Derek Townsley played in that final with no hope of ever sustaining that level of spending. Can't see why anyone would condone that.
    Do you mean Derek Lilley?

Looking at their squad that day, it's not hard to understand how they've suffered so much financially in recent years.

Roddy McKenzie

David McNamee
    Oscar Rubio
    Marvin Andrews
    Emmanuel Dorado
    Jamie McAllister

Lee Makel
    Stuart Lovell
    Burton O'Brien

David Fernandez
    Derek Lilley

SUBS

Alan Main
    Scott McLaughlin
    William Snowdon
    Jon Paul McGovern
    Fernando Pasquinelli

@hibs.net private member
    ............and David Fernandez who was returned from his Celtic loan straight after the game I think. Didn't realise Townsley played.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Do you mean Derek Lilley?

Looking at their squad that day, it's not hard to understand how they've suffered so much financially in recent years.

Roddy McKenzie

David McNamee
    Oscar Rubio
    Marvin Andrews
    Emmanuel Dorado
    Jamie McAllister

Lee Makel
    Stuart Lovell
    Burton O'Brien

David Fernandez
    Derek Lilley

SUBS

Alan Main
    Scott McLaughlin
    William Snowdon
    Jon Paul McGovern
    Fernando Pasquinelli

Fair play, thought Townsley played for them at that time. Was just trying to make a point.

Fair play, thought Townsley played for them at that time. Was just trying to make a point.
    Yeah your overall point is something I agree with. Livingston's squad at that time was unsustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    My local team, sad to see them in such a state. A real community club as well, always doing great schemes for school kids to get them along and support the team but sadly no one's interested anymore.

Hope they stay up this season but I've been saying for weeks they'll go down, this only cements my opinion even more.
    I worked with a guy from that area, and he was "Celtic minded" but when Livi appeared on the scene, he changed and was determined that his wee boy was gonnae be a livi fan rather than the norm , being ran/celt in that area. maybe the real problem is, that that place (Livingston) is stuk in the middle of Edin/Glasgow. and despite the best efforts of people in charge at Livingston, wi' the best intent, they never really had a chance of splitting the age old divide, despite the fact that lots of Edinburgh,Eastcoast folk moved to Livi, we were always overwhelmed with the Glesga overspill. I quite like Livingston, my Ma and Da liked it, my Sis brought her family up there tae but there is always the divide. nothing in between

He was at Gretna when they got to their cup final, probably what you are thinking of.

He claimed to have rid Scotland of sectarianism ?? I must have missed that ;-)

As did everybody else in the world.

Maybe it's because he actually didn't.

I think the concept of having a Club in Livingston, that do a lot for the Community and bring through youth players, is basically a sound idea. The problem is that many of the people in charge have had delusions of grandeur and others have been just downright shysters.

For one thing, the Stadium is much larger than they'll ever need (not entirely their fault), so it's always going to look a bit strange playing there with only one side used for home Fans and the rest of the Stadium basically empty.

I have no problem with them being punished for any misdemeanours but I'd like to see them survive. Even if it means selling their Stadium and moving to a smaller one (I think that was a plan at some point)

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    I think the concept of having a Club in Livingston, that do a lot for the Community and bring through youth players, is basically a sound idea. The problem is that many of the people in charge have had delusions of grandeur and others have been just downright shysters.

For one thing, the Stadium is much larger than they'll ever need (not entirely their fault), so it's always going to look a bit strange playing there with only one side used for home Fans and the rest of the Stadium basically empty.

I have no problem with them being punished for any misdemeanours but I'd like to see them survive. Even if it means selling their Stadium and moving to a smaller one (I think that was a plan at some point)
    Do they actually own the stadium?

Do they actually own the stadium?

Actually, that's a good point. I think it might be owned by the Council...........

OK, so the best bet would be for the Council sell the stadium to LIDL and build a smaller one elsewhere

EDIT: Turns out they did have plans to move previously.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 26-11-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Actually, that's a good point. I think it might be owned by the Council...........

OK, so the best bet would be for the Council sell the stadium to LIDL and build a smaller one elsewhere

I think Livingston own the stadium but the council own the land it's built on?

Part of the original financial burden placed on the club was the requirement to upgrade it to meet the 10k criteria and it was paid for by the club.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member
    An ex Director of a Championship club was telling me that more bad news will break within the next week, this is the tip of the iceberg.

He doesn't expect them to see out the season.

@hibs.net private member
    Bizzare statement tbh. Cheap digs at someone who campaigned for his own countries independencunnecessary imo
    Amazing - an SNP supporter flinging around accusations of cheap shots - wee Eckie is still making them.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    I worked with a guy from that area, and he was "Celtic minded" but when Livi appeared on the scene, he changed and was determined that his wee boy was gonnae be a livi fan rather than the norm , being ran/celt in that area. maybe the real problem is, that that place (Livingston) is stuk in the middle of Edin/Glasgow. and despite the best efforts of people in charge at Livingston, wi' the best intent, they never really had a chance of splitting the age old divide, despite the fact that lots of Edinburgh,Eastcoast folk moved to Livi, we were always overwhelmed with the Glesga overspill. I quite like Livingston, my Ma and Da liked it, my Sis brought her family up there tae but there is always the divide. nothing in between
    Aye it's pretty much split 70:30 in terms of Rangers/Celtic fans:Hibs/Hearts fans. Rarely do you find anyone supporting another team in the area. As you say, pretty much due to the location with it being nicely slotted between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

The club did their best, but they really do struggle to bring in crowds over 1500 nowadays. A real shame cause it's a tidy wee ground they have and it's sitting there 80% empty on a match day.

Were we not guilty of Financial doping when we were 18.5m in Debt in 2002?
    Just a thought.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    Just a thought.
    We paid for it.

Sometimes wonder why we bothered though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    Just a thought.
    Nope, secured borrowing that could be met by our outgoings.

Was like going around in a Jag because we could afford it at the time. Think we traded it in for a Lada though that we have only just got rid of.