hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Best Documentary....

Been watching quite a lot of these recently and had my eyes opened re what is actually going on in the world. Here's a few that I've watched and consider to have done what I mention above.... Blackfish- about The capture of Orca's, sold onto Seaworld and the dramatic consequences thereafter. Another was The Cove, looking into Japan's annual slaughter of dolphins. Dirty Wars is a film by an investigative journalist, Jeremy Scahill, who uncovers Americas illegal killings in different countries, (I'm reading his book, Blackwater.) Finally one I just finished watching, Zeitgeist, about the links between organised religion, global finance markets and the international power structure.

Wondered if anyone else had watched any of these or could recommend something they considered as good??

2. Log in to remove the advert

I watched Tallhotblond on Netflix the other day and found it both utterly bizarre, disturbing and interesting.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talhotblond
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched Tallhotblond on Netflix the other day and found it both utterly bizarre, disturbing and interesting.

Sounds des like one to watch..... Off to work now but day off tomorrow so will give it a wee view then...

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Blackfish was great. Love a good documentary.

King of Kong, Senna, Project Nim, Food Inc and When We WereKings are my personal faves.

However the most moving one I've seen is Dear Zachary. Can't say any more - just watch it.

The Power of Nightmares by Adam Curtis.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4A45D19579F8AC

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    The Corporation (a Canadian documentary on the power wielded by corporations - more so that governments - yet they are unelected) - not by the dude that did Ferenheit 911 (Michael Moore) but he had some lesser involvement. Powerful still despite being made a few years ago.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Love a good documentary struggle to find any now I've cancelled netflix though...could well be reinstated

Inside job about the financial crisis narrated by Matt Damon was interesting also a good couple about ponzy schemes on Netflix can't remember the names though, also man on a wire I enjoyed and I also recommend tallhotblond bizarre story

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Watched Talhotblond today. Just frightening the consequences of people's selfish fantasies online. Enjoyed it but felt like I shouldn't have if that makes sense....

Meant to say I watched Zeitgeist: Addendum, which is the follow up to the first film. Another really well put together documentary with fascinating insights into how the good old US of A go about bankrupting countries with economic hitmen, jackals, and the military.... This world of ours is ****ed up.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Fire in Babylon - West Indies cricket in the 1970's and 80's;
    Murderball - what to do if you break your neck playing rugby;
    Harlan County, USA- the story of a coal strike in Kentucky in 1975;
    Into the Abyss - Werner Herzog on the life and death of a triple murder on Death Row in Texas.

Louis Theroux's always entertaining and thought-provoking as well.

The Stanford Prison experiment is well worth a look. Its on youtube somewhere. Quite uncomfortable viewing though.

First Team Breakthrough Bighoose's Avatar
    As has been mentioned, "When We were Kings" about the rumble in the jungle is very good. Ali Bomaye!, Ali Bomaye!

Kevin MacDonald has directed two of my favourite documentaries

"One Day in September" about the murder of 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics by Palestinian Terrorists.

"Touching the Void" about a climber who was given for dead by his mate.

Also "Bobby Fischer Against the World" about the life of the first american to win the World Chess championship in 1972, just a bit of a complex character.

And if you like Sports documentaries check out ESPN's 30 for 30 series. A lot of which are on YouTube

The T206 Honus Wagner - http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8983686

Senna.
    When we were Kings.
    Blackfish.
    Hoop Dreams.

Dogtown & Z Boys
    King of Kong
    Once in a Lifetime (about the New York Santos)
    Senna

Are All Men Paedophiles?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_A..._Pedophiles%3F

Very controversial and stiired up a fair bit debate when it was released but very interesting and a topic worth exploring imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Saw Supersize Me and Fast Food Nation within weeks of each other. Put me off burgers for months. Also liked Morgan Spurlock's series, 30 days. And there's a series of Louis Theeroux in LA coming on TV here soon. Looking forward to that one.

Edit - And of course, "Hibernian - the team that wouldn't die".
    Last edited by Mixu62; 26-11-2014 at 12:09 AM. Reason: thought of 1 more

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Blackfish was great. Love a good documentary.

King of Kong, Senna, Project Nim, Food Inc and When We WereKings are my personal faves.

However the most moving one I've seen is Dear Zachary. Can't say any more - just watch it.

Got round to watching Dear Zachary..... An incredible story!! Won't say anything about it so as not to spoil it for others, only don't read the synopsis before you watch it. All I will say is WOW. Thanks for the heads up on that one Hibby70...

Just finished watching time is illmatic. Documentary about nas' debut album which also covers various bits of his upbringing and life. It was exactly what I expected it would be like but still thoroughly enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Albert of Kidd View Post
    Dogtown & Z Boys

Bones brigade autobiography as well.

First Team Breakthrough Bighoose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Albert of Kidd View Post
    Dogtown & Z Boys

Forgot about that one. Definitely recommended viewing.

Also remembered "DIG!" about the love–hate relationship of The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighoose View Post
    As has been mentioned, "When We were Kings" about the rumble in the jungle is very good. Ali Bomaye!, Ali Bomaye!

Kevin MacDonald has directed two of my favourite documentaries

"One Day in September" about the murder of 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics by Palestinian Terrorists.

"Touching the Void" about a climber who was given for dead by his mate.

Also "Bobby Fischer Against the World" about the life of the first american to win the World Chess championship in 1972, just a bit of a complex character.

And if you like Sports documentaries check out ESPN's 30 for 30 series. A lot of which are on YouTube

The T206 Honus Wagner - http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8983686
    Just watched broke in the 30 for 30 series about american sportsman loosing there fortunes incredible what these guys do and spend over a short space of time

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    The World at War is an outstanding series of documentaries.

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    The World at War is an outstanding series of documentaries.
    Lawrence Olivier as narrator is hard to beat.

The HBO, America Undercover documentary on Richard Kuklinski (The real-life 'Iceman') is an engaging, if sometimes uncofortable, watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXgi72W2H7U

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I've recently watched The Cove (about dolphin slaughter in Japan), The Imposter (young american lad went missing, guy in spain claims to be him, the family accept him in, it's not him) and West of Memphis (3 teenage boys charged with the murder of 3 young boys, and the campaign to have them freed).

All good, but West of Memphis was my favourite. I'd never heard of it, which surprises me given the celebs they had on board.

I watched Bill Baileys Jungle Hero on Netflix today.

All about Alfred Russell Wallace who was an amateur naturalist and collector who explored Borneo, New Guinea etc and proposed the theory of evolution and published it jointly with some of Darwins work.

Darwin went on to publish the Origin of Species and was lauded by the scientific edtablishment. As a rich, graduate of a suitable background of course he was. Wallace was self taught, a mere collector and left school at 14 and was largely forgotten despite playing a huge role in our understanding of natural history.

Blog Entries
    Into the Abyss (Werner Herzog)*
    Bowling for Columbine (Michael Moore)

*be warned, it got me down for a good while.

Searching For Sugar man. Excellent story about a musician who gained a lot of fame but didn't know about it.

Super High Me. Comedian Doug Benson, a serial weed smoker, stops for 30 days and then does 30 days solid smoking, pretty funny.

Rush-Beyond the lighted stage. Cool doc on a great band.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    After reading this thread I watched 'West of Memphis' which was excellent and just finished 'Into the Abyss' which again I thought was excellent. There is something about watching documentaries that is so different to watching a fictional film and you just seem to get a bit more satisfaction having watched something that is real and about real people, not people that are made up. But also a feeling that is hard to describe, like after 'West of Memphis' there was the feeling that the real killer is out there and from what the film was suggesting he should be behind bars or even on death row, but he is not and you wonder why. Trying to work out what to watch next.

Been watching a few documentaries recently with a few standing out.

just this minute finished watching The Internets own boy... The story of Aaron Swartz. Really good watch.
    Kids for cash is another very good film. About a juvenile court judge who hands out harsh sentences for minor offences.
    However the best one I watched was All this Mayhem. About 2 brothers who make it in pro skateboarding before hitting the self destruct button. I'm not a big fan of skateboarding, never really was, but this film is riveting.