hibs.net Messageboard

Second hand cars

Looking at buying a second hand car I'm in Sweden but if anyone could give me some advice as to what to watch out for and things that I should be looking for. I only have £1500 to spend on the car so its going to be older

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking at buying a second hand car I'm in Sweden but if anyone could give me some advice as to what to watch out for and things that I should be looking for. I only have £1500 to spend on the car so its going to be older
    Check when the timing belt is needing replaced. If it's not changed at the recommended mileage, then POP can go a lot of money, your camshaft & valves.
    (Been there ). I think timing belts are generally changed at 50k (it is for my car).

An old trick was to look at the pedal rubbers for excessive wear (never quite understood that one though).

I'm sure there will be auto mechanics on Hibs net that can offer more (and better) advice in depth.

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar

When you are going to view an older car, always get there about 30-60 mins before you tell the seller you are going to get there. Then they probably won't have had time to warm the car up and you will get to see what it starts, runs and sounds like when it is cold. When you take it for a test drive, listen really carefully for dodgey noises. It it sounds wrong, it will cost you money in repairs. It reality for £1500 its not going to purr like a DB9, but it shouldn't clunk, grind, knock or whir too much.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Kick the tyres.

Also for £1500, I would probably look to buy something Japanese, off an old person.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Kick the tyres.
    If you are buying off a dealer (forecourt or dodgey bloke on an estate), NEVER kick the tyres, cos they will fleece you. ;):)

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by E/Port_Hibee View Post
    If you are buying off a dealer (forecourt or dodgey bloke on an estate), NEVER kick the tyres, cos they will fleece you. ;):)
    OK, don't kick the tyres. Buy something old from a Japanese person.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    OK, don't kick the tyres. Buy something old from a Japanese person.
    But don't buy old sushi off a Japanese person. Or the next day you will have a ring peice like the Japanese flag! :(
    Last edited by over the line; 05-12-2014 at 11:36 PM.

cheers guys i actually had a bit of a rush so i bought an older Skoda Octavia seems in pretty good nick cost me about £1000 so was pretty happy. Like driving it, and its pretty easy on the fuel.

In the past I've when requiring a cheap car ive gone for one with galactic miles you find these are actually well looked after ex company cars with good history. Helped a friend earlier this year get a Saab 9-3 with 210k on the clock,still runs perfect and came with a service/clutch/brake bill of nearly 2k a few months previous. Paid £1150 for it on a 55 plate.