hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brutal

We were poor today it reminded me of performances before the derby i.e to slow and side ways without taking the game to the opposition and not pressing the ball high enough up the park. The really frustrating thing for me with Harris,Handling,Stanton,Cummings etc having watched them consistently over the years out perform and beat the same Hearts youngsters that are running away with the league is that none of them look good enough playing at this level. I cant help think that the difference between their youngsters and ours is the experienced pros that we've surrounded these guys with. Not one leader to talk and direct them through games or carry them a bit when the chips are down. Our captains form and confidence is so bad is it any wonder our youngsters cant make the step up which means when we are missing 2 or 3 key players we are going to struggle imo

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought Fontaine had a good game today as well as Hanlon, it was just a tad boring.
    Boring is correct Silv.

Thing that annoys me is that in the second half of games against Livi, Falkirk, Raith, Dumbarton, Hearts and now QOTS we have barely created a chance never mind a goal.

Only thing I can think of to change that is kick towards the North in the first half.

@hibs.net private member
    Utter garbage. Disgraceful that we're so far off top spot and the ****bos have pretty much won the league.

Disgusting.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Utter garbage. Disgraceful that we're so far off top spot and the ****bos have pretty much won the league.

Disgusting.
    They've hardly pretty much won the league, the rangers are no far behind them, plenty time for hearts to have a dip in form.

Queens goalie had 3 saves in the first half when he parried the ball in front of him.Not once was anyone following up.If you don't know to follow a shot in how can you be a pro footballer?

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Cowdenbeath I think.

I should remember because they are as rare as hens teeth. They'll be ringing the church bells when we get the next one.
    We are heading into December and Cowdenbeath is the only time I've seen them win this season. They just do not have the guile or ability to break down teams that are happy to sit in. Even with our strongest team we still lack a cutting edge. A big front man is a must in January and of course some luck would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    When was our last home win?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by MixerKev View Post
    this is unbelievable, we were far from being brutal, last year we were brutal. Qos sat in and made it difficult, we struggled to break them down, that doesn't make us brutal. I think we are going in the right direction, this will be an incremental process, but I am more optimistic than I have been for seasons.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Harris, Handling and Kennedy ranged from poor to absolutely awful and the same goes for the replacements. It's hard to win a game with 8 players.

We didn't let them have a shot on target so at least there's one minor positive.

Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling made Liverpool look positively pedestrian when Chelsea parked the bus. How can you attack a team with pace when they always have practically their entire team behind the ball? Kennedy was doubled up on every time in the first half, irrespective of which wing he was on. We were screaming our for Malonga today, and really missed him. His ability to hold the ball up with players round him and lay the ball off was something that Jason hasn't got yet. Also, Malonga makes intelligent runs to create space in behind him whereas Jason was happy to chase after any balls fired up front. But he's young and that will come with time, something we have to give this team. There will be more frustrations like this one today, but when we have a full squad on the park, we will have a good footballing side. I'm disappointed we didn't get the win today, but I'd never go as far as to say we were brutal. Teams that get everyone behind the ball do so for a reason - they will never take you on at the game of football. Visiting teams have a lot of respect for us - shame some of our supporters don't.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Boring is correct Silv.

Thing that annoys me is that in the second half of games against Livi, Falkirk, Raith, Dumbarton, Hearts and now QOTS we have barely created a chance never mind a goal.

Only thing I can think of to change that is kick towards the North in the first half.
    We have far to many players not willing to have a shot on goal when they have the chance, a few times today i thought "shoot" and players played it out wide and when it was put in to the box there was no one to get on the end of things, players pick wrong choices a lot of the times in games, funnily enough i said at HT, shooting down the slope 2nd half and we will score a few, wrong again, it looked like we were content to play for the draw in the 2nd half.

First Team Breakthrough
    No plus points from another home draw I'm afraid.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Queens goalie had 3 saves in the first half when he parried the ball in front of him.Not once was anyone following up.If you don't know to follow a shot in how can you be a pro footballer?

Spoke to a ex Hibs player after the game and this was spoken about, think it was Cummings who just stood there when a shot was fired at the goalie, the player said you should be making the run towards the goalie as soon as the other player has had the shot as you just never no if the goalie will spill it or not, you have to take the gamble and follow up when another player shoots.

Pointless just standing there stuck in the headlights.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Spoke to a ex Hibs player after the game and this was spoken about, think it was Cummings who just stood there when a shot was fired at the goalie, the player said you should be making the run towards the goalie as soon as the other player has had the shot as you just never no if the goalie will spill it or not, you have to take the gamble and follow up when another player shoots.

Its basic centre forward play.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by MixerKev View Post
    this is unbelievable, we were far from being brutal, last year we were brutal. Qos sat in and made it difficult, we struggled to break them down, that doesn't make us brutal. I think we are going in the right direction, this will be an incremental process, but I am more optimistic than I have been for seasons.

Interesting .It was the exact opposite recently in big games like the derby and the cup game. They were sharp and quick to react to second balls so it's definitely in there. Preparation? Can't be bothered with the wee games? Not fancying the scrap? Subconsciously thinking that all they have to do is turn up and win?

Whatever it is they HAVE to be hungry in front of goals. They should smell blood the minute they see a team sitting back and bust a gut to add to their tally.

Disappointing stuff hearing that.

Quote Originally Posted by bookert View Post
    But what today did expose is our lack of depth of squad when a couple of influential players are out
    All the creativity was down to Allan and given what was at stake was a one nil win too much to expect

@hibs.net private member
    Why is everyone going on about the players we had missing!!! Oxley is missing but the young keep done great. Malonga was brought in for cover for El Alugui so we can only count one of them missing really as both wouldnt play together. Back 4 played fine with forster missing, robertson isnt amazing IMO and isnt always picked anyway. Player we missed today was McGeouch.

The issue today was that lack of pace and urgency. Why is it that when we have a player running down the wing, the ball is passed to them where they are at, at point of pass causing the winger to stop, wait for the ball then start running again, why do we not play the ball in front of them so they keep the momentum????

We never dictated the pace of the game and put them under pressure. A few times we had a shot from distance with no one following it in when the keeper never dealt with it. We never chased down passes between their defenders and keeper enough. We had a ton of possession but no pressure.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCDaveA View Post
    Why is everyone going on about the players we had missing!!! Oxley is missing but the young keep done great. Malonga was brought in for cover for El Alugui so we can only count one of them missing really as both wouldnt play together. Back 4 played fine with forster missing, robertson isnt amazing IMO and isnt always picked anyway. Player we missed today was McGeouch.

The issue today was that lack of pace and urgency. Why is it that when we have a player running down the wing, the ball is passed to them where they are at, at point of pass causing the winger to stop, wait for the ball then start running again, why do we not play the ball in front of them so they keep the momentum????

We never dictated the pace of the game and put them under pressure. A few times we had a shot from distance with no one following it in when the keeper never dealt with it. We never chased down passes between their defenders and keeper enough. We had a ton of possession but no pressure.
    Very poor quite why we never pushed up on their back 4 at any time was a joke especially in the last 10. Why is Craig the captain when he is and should not be a starter.

Cummings should have stayed on and been given a chance go play in a 2. We should have dropped Stanton back into midfield and pushed Scott Allan off the front.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    They've hardly pretty much won the league, the rangers are no far behind them, plenty time for hearts to have a dip in form.
    I've been waiting for them to have a dip in form for weeks...and I'm still waiting. The Yams will win the league whilst we Sally on in the hope of being in the top four.

Unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling made Liverpool look positively pedestrian when Chelsea parked the bus. How can you attack a team with pace when they always have practically their entire team behind the ball? Kennedy was doubled up on every time in the first half, irrespective of which wing he was on. We were screaming our for Malonga today, and really missed him. His ability to hold the ball up with players round him and lay the ball off was something that Jason hasn't got yet. Also, Malonga makes intelligent runs to create space in behind him whereas Jason was happy to chase after any balls fired up front. But he's young and that will come with time, something we have to give this team. There will be more frustrations like this one today, but when we have a full squad on the park, we will have a good footballing side. I'm disappointed we didn't get the win today, but I'd never go as far as to say we were brutal. Teams that get everyone behind the ball do so for a reason - they will never take you on at the game of football. Visiting teams have a lot of respect for us - shame some of our supporters don't.

Jesus.... A well thought out, sensible post?? It'll never catch on.....

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Its basic centre forward play.
    Just got home, and the chat on the way back (including with "Not a Jambo Derek" :D) was that we lacked a centre forward in the purest sense of it. All well and good retaining possession in midfield, but Cummings has little presence as it is, never mind being surrounded by three centre backs every time the ball was being played in to his feet. Absolutely astounded me that it was so late in the game before started to try and get to the byline and pull the ball back - unfortunately in this case in to the path of Heffernan to take out a kid in the 4th row of FF Upper.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bookert View Post
    it was brutal mate believe me. that was an endurance test today sitting watching that dross. we have to many passengers ie harris , craig , time to dump these so called football players.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Mainwaring View Post
    Lack of cutting edge today - no question that was the main reason we didn't secure 3 points. Otherwise defence was sound, goalie had nothing to do and Allan was creative and busy. Thought Kennedy provided good width but lacking someone on the end of his crosses.

Only Harris and Handling could have done better

So considering we were without Oxley, Forster, Robertson, McGeough, and Malonga ( add Farid to complete the unavailable list) then let's keep things in context

Dissapointing but hardly "brutal"
    I'll second all of the above, No strength in depth so if you take out four regulars then we are in the sh*taki, the only hope was that Allan could create something but it wasn't to be.

....I wonder what the guest family and friends of the military thought of the game, as it was hardly a thriller. lol

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Harris, handling, Craig and Cummings are just not up to it in my opinion.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Boring game but the most depressing moment was actually when that announcer was doing his usual failed attempts at whipping up the crowd by saying several times that Hibs could go 3rd (in the championship FFS) if we won by '2 consecutive goals' (eh?!) as if we'd be in dreamland at the thought. Obviously we failed to, which rubbed it in a bit further.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    What about Kennedy and Sinclair
    ? What do they offer? I would much prefer to see Lewis Allen and Sam Stanton get a game before them.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badge the Hibee View Post
    What about Kennedy and Sinclair
    ? What do they offer? I would much prefer to see Lewis Allen and Sam Stanton get a game before them.

Kennedy and Sinclair offer nothing.

Kennedy and Sinclair offer nothing.
    Kennedy bemoaning lack of game time, and then did hee haw.....Quality over quantity anyone?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    First three I would agree with, I still have hope for Jason.

He's still only 19 and hasn't been playing football full time for a long period.