hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dunno why Damien Rice seems to have faded away.
    Releasing 2 albums then buggering off to drown your sorrows for 8 years will do that to your career.

His new album is good but there was only so long he could go on milking 9 and O.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member fordie2's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: fordie2
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwerphibs View Post
    Band I like who never seemed to gain much traction are the subways. Wouldn't say they're massively underrated, but don't get the audience they deserve imo.

On a different note I'd also say immortal technique and talib kweli are hugely underrated. Probably because they both distribute their own stuff and don't rap about bitches and hos.
    The Subways are tremendous, lost count of how many times I've been to see them.

I'm also a massive fan of The Sunshine Underground and hopefully Stanley Odd might get some recognition aswell

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopz View Post
    Inspiral Carpets for me. Heard Biggest Mountain last week and immediately thought of this thread.
    I've been listening to them quite a bit recently after coming across the cool as ****** ep when looking through records.
    I'd loved the life album back when it came out but hadn't heard any of the others until recently.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Inspiral Carpets for me. Heard Biggest Mountain last week and immediately thought of this thread.
    Good shout.

And what about Ride?

Victim of timing IMO - they fell into that dearth period between Madchester and Britpop where UK indie music was just utterly out of fashion when compared to grunge, techno and house and hip-hop.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Good shout.

And what about Ride?

Victim of timing IMO - they fell into that dearth period between Madchester and Britpop where UK indie music was just utterly out of fashion when compared to grunge, techno and house and hip-hop.
    Announced last week they're reforming for some shows, playing carnival of light in full I think.

Mazzy Star maybe should have had much wider recognition when I think about it.

And early, pre-major label REM as well, as opposed to post-'Green' REM (I know 'Green' was on a major label, but it was cuspy ).

Albums like Life's Rich Pageant and Document were sublime and if the band had stopped recording after those we would be lauding and lamenting them as beautiful geniuses.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Announced last week they're reforming for some shows, playing carnival of light in full I think.
    Thanks

Will keep an eye out (the one that's not gazing at my shoes obviously)

Thanks

Will keep an eye out (the one that's not gazing at my shoes obviously)

Showing my age here -Hamish Stuart, one time AWB member, recorded with an enormous range of performers ranging from Bette Midler to Paul McCartney. Still performs with his own band to critical acclaim and is undoubtedly the best RnB singer this country has produced. Ridiculous that he has not received wider acclaim in his home country.

Good shout.

And what about Ride?

J, my 9 year old son Scott has this on his Itouch, near perfection as a song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E5zTuVhNs5c

Gamer IDs

Going to throw Imelda May into this list.

Not my usual genre but I got my wife tickets to see her on Wednesday and her and her band were awesome live. Such a beautiful style that's been lost somewhere along the way.

Blog Entries
    Kodaline. They are absolutely outstanding, I first heard them through Radio 1 and can't get enough of their album.

Morrissey doesn't get the recognition he deserves, World Peace Is None Of Your Business is an outstanding album!

Quote Originally Posted by <3Morrissey View Post
    Kodaline. They are absolutely outstanding, I first heard them through Radio 1 and can't get enough of their album.

Morrissey doesn't get the recognition he deserves, World Peace Is None Of Your Business is an outstanding album!
    Agree re kodaline, excellent album. However if morrisey got any more recognition his ego would be visible from space

That's good parenting

When Ride's name gets mentioned that's always the song I hear in my head. Absolute classic.

Great shout for Ride. A great band. But Leave Them All Behind is their finest moment imo.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Great shout for Ride. A great band. But Leave Them All Behind is their finest moment imo.

One of my favourite intros of all time.

maybe a bit of a tangent but anybody a fan of black diamond express fantastic edinburgh band. Maybe a little niche to make it to super stardom but i think they are amazing to watch.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Always thought that Ian Broudie was up there with the echelons of Ray Davies etc. as a songwriter, went to see the Lightning Seeds four years ago and it was ****ing joyous as an evening.

Gamer IDs

Doubt many people will have even heard of them but The Amity Affliction, for me, are vastly underrated. A beautiful blend of complex lyrics, spectacular music and excellent on stage performances.

The guttural screaming means they're never likely to feature as a mainstream band but they've been aired a fair amount on Radio 1's rock show since they released their new album.

Chasing Ghosts is a spectacular album IMO.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibees62
    Defo The Rifles and the 10:04s

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibees62
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Courteeners - St Jude is the best album of this millenium
    The Rifles - Most people have never heard of them, sin.
    What's weird about The Rifles I made a cd up of what I believe is their best stuff for the car. Winter Calls comes on and my daughter starts singing along asked how do you know that song? It was in Gavin and Stacey that should have elevated the band!!

A band from Edinburgh I first heard on H.Net, Ballboy. Saw them at Electric Circus and called the rather attractive girl at the bar a rude cow (exact words) for pushing in and getting served before me. 10 mins later she was on stage and I realised she was in the band.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BOJXT6UFhQI

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    A band from Edinburgh I first heard on H.Net, Ballboy. Saw them at Electric Circus and called the rather attractive girl at the bar a rude cow (exact words) for pushing in and getting served before me. 10 mins later she was on stage and I realised she was in the band.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BOJXT6UFhQI
    Ah Ballboy are great. Spectacularly under-rated alright. Sure at least one of them is a Hibbie.

Frank Turner. Maybe not all that under-rated given he played the olympic opening ceremony but still deserves more credit and radio play I reckon. Last 3 albums have all been outstanding.

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    Suede. Streets ahead of both Oasis and Blur in a time where that was all anyone talked about.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by portyhibernian View Post
    Suede. Streets ahead of both Oasis and Blur in a time where that was all anyone talked about.
    I like Suede, but they weren't as popular as Blur or Oasis because they weren't as good.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Shed Seven

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I like Suede, but they weren't as popular as Blur or Oasis because they weren't as good.

I prefer Suede to both of them, not sure they qualify for the thread though.

Coaching Staff
    A wee shout for a good Hibby - Withered Hand.

Mainly just one guy, Dan Wilson, but plays with a bigger band at times and collaborates with the likes of Belle & Sebastian and King Creosote.

Two albums so far Good News and New Gods, the second a bit cheerier than the first but great tunes and brilliant writing. He was brought up a Jehova's Witness and so quite a lot about questioning religion and just general doubts about life and himself.

Seen him last week in London and he is playing Sneaky Pete's at the end of the month - deserves a decent following.

Not one to play in front of kids, however!

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    A wee shout for a good Hibby - Withered Hand.

Mainly just one guy, Dan Wilson, but plays with a bigger band at times and collaborates with the likes of Belle & Sebastian and King Creosote.

Two albums so far Good News and New Gods, the second a bit cheerier than the first but great tunes and brilliant writing. He was brought up a Jehova's Witness and so quite a lot about questioning religion and just general doubts about life and himself.

Seen him last week in London and he is playing Sneaky Pete's at the end of the month - deserves a decent following.

Not one to play in front of kids, however!
    Got my ticket for this gig, great band, I have a three night stretch at the end of the month at Sneaky Petes, Bwani Junction, Withered hand and honeyblood, I've also got tickets to see Slipknot and Korn on the 18th in Glasgow.

I concur with Andy, you can check Withered Hand out on Spotify, I'm sure bother their albums are on there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.