hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Fan Buy Out Launched/BuyHibs/Q&A Answers

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football...-bid-1-3600325

AN umbrella body of Hibernian supporters are to launch a bid on Tuesday to take the club back into community ownership.

The campaign group, which has the backing of the Hibernian Former Players’ Association, the Supporters’ Association and Supporters Direct Scotland (SDS) among other organisations, will invite current owner Sir Tom Farmer to enter negotiations to sell to them as a single package the club itself, Easter Road, and the training centre at East Mains outside Tranent.

Former Hibs captain Pat Stanton will head the campaign and be present at the launch, where organisers will reveal the name of the group.

They plan to fund a takeover in the same way as the Foundation of Hearts did at Tynecastle, with individual fans pledging a monthly amount and one or more business people committing a lump sum.

Farmer and Hibs chairman Rod Petrie have appeared unwilling to negotiate with recent potential buyers, but a spokesperson for the new group said they hoped for constructive talks, with the aim on both sides of securing the long-term future of the club.

“We want to buy all the assets together - the club, ground and training ground,” the spokesperson said. “We will ask Tom Farmer to name his price and tell us what he wants for the three assets.

“We’re offering a positive exit for him, one that allows him to give the club back to the community, and to leave the club on a positive note.

“This is about uniting the Hibs support to get one group driving positive change. We plan to raise the money via a mixture of individual subscriptions, with fans pledging a monthly sum, and funds from Hibs-supporting business people.”

The new group, which has been working on its plans for several months, concluded from a survey conducted with SDS that there was a willingness among the Hibs support to try to take the club back.

More than 4,000 people replied to the survey, with a sizeable majority supporting more talks on community ownership.

The group hopes that they will get backing from Hibs fans on a scale that allows them to say the community is behind them. They will also be keen to remind Farmer that when he took over the club nearly 25 years ago he said he had done so for the community.

“It’s common knowledge that Hibs’ current owners have had discussions with some potential purchasers of the club, and that in every single case they’ve said it’s not about money,” the spokesperson continued.

“Well, if it’s not about money, put the club into community ownership and walk away.

“What we’ll say to Tom Farmer and Rod Petrie is: ‘We’ve got a structure here. We’ve got everything set up. You keep saying to people who have put in bids for the club or been interested in doing so that they’re not the right people. Other than Hibs supporters, who are the right people?’

“We don’t know how much they want for the club. But if it’s not about money ... So we’re saying to them either give us a price and work with us, or come out with plausible, proper, fresh plans for investment.

“We’re going to ask people to pledge now, but we won’t take any money from them until we have a deal. It will be very much like what the Foundation of Hearts did.

“I’d be keen to sit down with [Hearts owner] Ann Budge to discuss our plans. In fact, at the last Edinburgh derby one of my colleagues had a short discussion with her, and she seems quite keen to help. I’m sure there are things we can learn from her.

“I would urge all Hibs fans to work with us and get together. We’re more than happy to work together with anyone for the benefit of the club.

“There have been previous attempts get the club back into community ownership, and in many ways this is the last throw of the dice for us. We either do it this time - or we walk away and leave Hibernian at the mercy of the current owners.

“This will be a positive campaign. The owners have a goal, and it must be to get out. We have a goal to get the club sold to the right people.

“That goal is surely the same. If we work together, we’ll surely achieve it far more quickly and easily.”
    Last edited by Mikey; 10-11-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Text added

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reads a lot better than some of the other 'proposals' that have come out over the last few months. Will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Interesting it has to be said,Ann Budge helping also,well stranger things i guess

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Interesting. And this is going to be a long thread

@hibs.net private member
    Why would fans pledge when there's no need to? I know that Hearts fans pledged - and they seem to have kept up their direct debits. (At least, we've heard no stories about them falling off). But they absolutely had to - otherwise their club was going to disappear.

But I can't see why Hibs fans would pledge when there's no pressing need. We've already got a perfectly good owner who can afford to own the club.

I do wonder how many Hibs fans would be willing and able to pledge money to help with community ownership. I guess we may now find out.

Reading the quote - it seems they've had no contact with STF so far.

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    But I can't see why Hibs fans would pledge when there's no pressing need. We've already got a perfectly good owner who can afford to own the club.
    Strange thing to say. The whole point of pledging money is to BUY OUT the current owner as the present situation is FAR from ideal.

Why would fans pledge when there's no need to? I know that Hearts fans pledged - and they seem to have kept up their direct debits. (At least, we've heard no stories about them falling off). But they absolutely had to - otherwise their club was going to disappear.

I do wonder how many Hibs fans would be willing and able to pledge money to help with community ownership. I guess we may now find out.

If it was a move towards community ownership with the fans having a sizeable stake in the club then I can see it being successful. If it's a case of asking for fans to put up cash so Mr X can acquire the club but he doesn't have the finances to do so himself then it will be less so.

Hopefully the finer points will be made clear when it's launched tomorrow. It should be interesting to hear what is said and what the plans are.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice-Terry View Post
    Strange thing to say. The whole point of pledging money is to BUY OUT the current owner as the present situation is FAR from ideal.
    I don't understand what problem people have with the current owner.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    If it was a move towards community ownership with the fans having a sizeable stake in the club then I can see it being successful. If it's a case of asking for fans to put up cash so Mr X can acquire the club but he doesn't have the finances to do so himself then it will be less so.

Hopefully the finer points will be made clear when it's launched tomorrow. It should be interesting to hear what is said and what the plans are.
    It's defo the first one mate!

I'm hoping the Hibs fans take to this news with an open mind and not the usual suspicion and 'better the devil you know' attitude.
    Last edited by My_Wife_Camille; 10-11-2014 at 10:06 PM.

And who is this mysterious "spokesperson"? And why can't he/she be named?

I'm naturally suspicious of anyone who insists on remaining "anonymous" - it smacks of self importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ee. View Post
    It's defo the first one mate!
    That's what I was hoping.

Interesting few weeks ahead I think.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

A disinterest in the football side of the club is very damaging. As cN be seen in our recent position.

@hibs.net private member
    Let's see the detail before we make judgement on the merits of this proposals

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    A lack of passion, drive, motivation and determination when it comes to Hibernian FC. Don't get me wrong, I'm forever grateful to him for saving the club and I think he should be honoured with some form of tribute (stand naming, statue or something) however as long as he owns this club we will continue to go nowhere.

A lack of passion, drive, motivation and determination when it comes to Hibernian FC. Don't get me wrong, I'm forever grateful to him for saving the club and I think he should be honoured with some form of tribute (stand naming, statue or something) however as long as he owns this club we will continue to go nowhere.
    Surely the right person running the club (Leeann Dempster?) coupled with the financial clout of STF is the ideal scenario (assuming there's not some oil magnate or suchlike waiting in the wings).

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Find it a bit disrespectful that he refers to Sir Tom as farmer tbh.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MehHFC View Post
    A disinterest in the football side of the club is very damaging. As cN be seen in our recent position.
    A lack of passion, drive, motivation and determination when it comes to Hibernian FC.
    I hear what you both say - and I'm sure there are many others who feel the same way.

But I don't look for passion from an owner - I require that from the management and the backroom staff and the team. I just want someone with the best interests of the club at heart, and I've seen nothing from STF that says he's not that type of owner. But I'm aware that not everyone will agree with me. I'd far rather have a dispassionate but benevolent owner than one who intervenes at every stage in executive and footballing decisions.

I thought we didn't do umbrellas

Is the intention that the club will be funded by those fans who can afford to contribute but owned by the wider Hibs community? How will these contributions be recognised in terms of shareholding? Is it expected that we meet STF's price in a lump sum or will we want him to accept monthly payments? Lots of answers needed. And I don't agree its anything like the hertz situation which involved bumping creditors left, right and centre

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One big difference between this attempt at fan ownership and Foundation of Hearts set up.

They had the benefit of writing off the vast majority of their debt ( by shafting all and sundry) before stumping up and buying their club on the cheap.

Hibs debt isn't going to magically disappear is it.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    I thought we didn't do umbrellas
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Surely the right person running the club (Leeann Dempster?) coupled with the financial clout of STF is the ideal scenario (assuming there's not some oil magnate or suchlike waiting in the wings).
    In theory, yes. But what we have seen over the past seven years has been far from the ideal scenario. LD might be the answer but it seems a little early to tell, although she has made a pretty good start.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    In theory, yes. But what we have seen over the past seven years has been far from the ideal scenario. LD might be the answer but it seems a little early to tell, although she has made a pretty good start.
    So would you agree that it might be worth seeing how the current set up pans out?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    One big difference between this attempt at fan ownership and Foundation of Hearts set up.

They had the benefit of writing off the vast majority of their debt ( by shafting all and sundry) before stumping up and buying their club on the cheap.

Hibs debt isn't going to magically disappear is it.
    That depends on STF, to be honest.

There is a more obvious difference with the Hearts situation - we're not teetering on the edge of liquidation. Fans will throw money in if they think the gates are about to be locked.

That's not the case here, so it will need to offer a compelling reason to get involved - that means a clear, long term vision for the club that will only happen through community ownership.

STF won't write off our debt. I really hope he takes this seriously and considers this bid.

We are playing championship football because our owners penny pinched on players the proof is where we are! How can folk say that Petrie is doing his job when we are where we are?

We have a fairly big debt and the club are skint. What Petrie did do well was set a good foundation for whoever was to take over. Sadly they both didn't want to go and now we are here. I'm still not convinced STF is wanting out. I may be wrong but something tells me he's holding out for something.

In this day and age he won't get anywhere near what he's wanting. He may have to cut his losses and take what he can.

If he really does want to hand the club over to the community then noes the time. I hope the offer is reasonable for both parties to sit and discus it seriously! STF will want as much as possible and rightly so. But also the buyer will want as much money kept aside to aid the debt and funding of the club.

I want Hibs to be in a better place and it's fair to say the current owners haven't delivered for a long time! No shame admitting they have it wrong and finally move on.

Football is changing at a rapid pace and football models all over the world are changing, we have been stuck in the same place for too long now so new owners will be welcomed by me. The biggest thing people fear is change, yet without change we wouldn't have the world we have now!!

I say good luck, and let's see how this pans out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    We are playing championship football because our owners penny pinched on players the proof is where we are! How can folk say that Petrie is doing his job when we are where we are?

We have a fairly big debt and the club are skint. What Petrie did do well was set a good foundation for whoever was to take over. Sadly they both didn't want to go and now we are here.
    No one on this thread has mentioned Petrie until you did. This is not about the Board its about the ownership. And you say penny pinching yet we had the 3rd biggest budget in the SPL last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    If he really does want to hand the club over to the community then noes the time. I hope the offer is reasonable for both parties to sit and discus it seriously! STF will want as much as possible and rightly so. But also the buyer will want as much money kept aside to aid the debt and funding of the club.

I want Hibs to be in a better place and it's fair to say the current owners haven't delivered for a long time! No shame admitting they have it wrong and finally move on.
    Who is this "community" who are going to own the club? You say the owners haven't delivered but I think they've done everything asked of them - STF has provided financial support as and when needed. And you say that STF will want as much as possible - why don't you believe him when he says its not about the money? He wants someone who will safeguard the future of the club. As you say, it will be interesting to see how this pans out, and whether these bidders turn out to have the interests of the club in mind.

I'm stating where we are just now under the current owners is there anything wrong with that?

Just because no one else spoke of it doesn't mean I can't. Do I believe STF? Not sure I don't know the guy, I have no idea if he's money orientated or happy to sell Hibs to the right guys for pennies. I suspect he didn't get his millions though if he wasn't a good businessman.

I agree though that it has to be sold to the right person to safeguard the club. I hope these people are and we can then move on. STF done many good things as did Petrie, and I've said that many times! But in nearly a decade the decline has been there to see so in my eyes I pray they are both long gone and they find an owner who cares about football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope that this group is one the hibs family can unite behind. It's overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by villager View Post
    I hope that this group is one the hibs family can unite behind. It's overdue.
    Hear Hear

@hibs.net private member WellingtonHibby's Avatar
    So would you agree that it might be worth seeing how the current set up pans out?
    I think We have to Give Ms Dempster and her new regime a chance to spin things round. Hibs have identified the rot and put in place steps to remedy the club positive change, i think we will see the fruits of that soon.
    Kicking it in Wellington .