hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sunday Football

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was telling Mrs Bollah about the booing. She was flabbergasted (being English she doesn't fully grasp the sectarian pish up here) but said she thought it was a good thing that sky muted the mics, so as not to offend normal' people. Which is an argument I suppose, but yet again the media will just ignore it. Sectarianism and bigotry is our nations open secret.
    On a sensitive day, I suppose I get that argument actually HB.

I really do wish Sky would stop covering their games on Remembrance Day - sadly, it's both predictable and inevitable.

If they were going to protect sensitivities though, they could have muted their mics the entire game as their pro-IRA repetoir was in full voice throughout the game.

The thing that annoys me is that there are active members of the British military who are Celtc fans. There's a significant portion of their crowd who AREN'T so heinous and probably find this as nauseating/cringeworthy as the rest of us - they really need to police from within but they've become such a large minority that they're a law unto themselves.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero76 View Post
    Smeltic celebrating like the won champions league

Sparky is a totall ned
    Trying to endear himself to the Smeltic hordes at the second... Another benchwarmer who will be wasted.

In fairness to a lot of the Celtic fans there today, having seen various bits of footage on Facebook abd Twitter, this does seem like an occassion when it genuinely is a minority involved. A lot of the later shouts actually sound like people shouting down those disrupting the silence.

A minority is still too many of course.

I was telling Mrs Bollah about the booing. She was flabbergasted (being English she doesn't fully grasp the sectarian pish up here) but said she thought it was a good thing that sky muted the mics, so as not to offend normal' people. Which is an argument I suppose, but yet again the media will just ignore it. Sectarianism and bigotry is our nations open secret.
    See I wish that they wouldn't mute the mics - let those ****bags be shown up for what they really are and be shamed on national television. I don't see why they should be 'protected' in anyway. If those idiots want to be shameful enough to boo, chant etc through a minute silence commemorating the soldiers who gave their lives then they should be shown up for it IMO.

Once again those vermin have shown their vile true colours. Utter embarrassment. Once again though the relevant authorities will be quick to sweep it all under the carpet and move swiftly along with the "nothing to see here folks" attitude. God forbid challenge the mighty old firm eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    On a sensitive day, I suppose I get that argument actually HB.

I really do wish Sky would stop covering their games on Remembrance Day - sadly, it's both predictable and inevitable.

If they were going to protect sensitivities though, they could have muted their mics the entire game as their pro-IRA repetoir was in full voice throughout the game.

The thing that annoys me is that there are active members of the British military who are Celtc fans. There's a significant portion of their crowd who AREN'T so heinous and probably find this as nauseating/cringeworthy as the rest of us - they really need to police from within but they've become such a large minority that they're a law unto themselves.
    I always remember listening to an elderly Celtic fan who called one of these radio phone in shows (I think it was Your Call on Sportsound but I could be wrong) a few years ago around Remembrance Sunday and it was discussing Celtic fans disrupting a minute's silence and this man made exactly the same point you've just made.

He spoke about how his grandfather and his great grandfather had both served in the British Army and both had been killed whilst on active duty. They were both Celtic fans and were both very proud to serve their country.

This man was absolutely disgusted by the behaviour of these idiots and I can always remember the anger and the sadness in his voice. He struggled to understand how fans of the club he loved could behave in such a disrespectful way in memory of their fellow Celtic fans.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It's a section of the Sellick away support, the old diehards, who still sing the IRA songs. They have stamped it out at home games, so there is progress.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Back to English football and arsenal. Arsene Wenger must tear his hair out with jack wilshire. If wilshire would redirect the energy he wastes arguing with referees he might be able to step up to a different level. A talented player but utterly brainless.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Back to English football and arsenal. Arsene Wenger must tear his hair out with jack wilshire. If wilshire would redirect the energy he wastes arguing with referees he might be able to step up to a different level. A talented player but utterly brainless.
    Wilshere's the Lewis Stevenson of the south. Looked an excellent prospect many years ago but neither improved nor learned to kick the ball with his right foot. (Come to think of it, Lewis doesn't fall over all the time appealing for imaginary fouls, so the comparison's not exact.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    It's a section of the Sellick away support, the old diehards, who still sing the IRA songs. They have stamped it out at home games, so there is progress.
    You're kidding yourself on if you believe that to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I didn't see the Aberdeen v Celtic game. Why did they choose not to display a poppy on the shirt, having done so in the past?
    Who knows..?

I don't get the recent obsession with poppys on football jerseys. Only appears to have came in the last ten years or so since the illegal invasions of of Iraq and Afghanistan.

How many were on show in the Hibs support on Saturday? I was behind the goal and saw hardly any, yet it appears everyone in the public eye HAS to wear one or they get lambasted, be it football players or managers, news anchors, tv presenters, commentators - everyone.

Its almost hilarious that some people can't see the irony in having a go at an individual or football club who used their rights to not wear a poppy (Not at you directly, more at the hissy fits various social media platforms were throwing up last night) yet like to remind us "they fought for your freedom"... Couldn't make it up.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Anyone know if these people were arrested?

It doesn't sound like it was hundreds of people that were involved so it surely would have been obvious who was responsible.

Shameful.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Anyone know if these people were arrested?

It doesn't sound like it was hundreds of people that were involved so it surely would have been obvious who was responsible.

Shameful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-29986318

Two Celtic fans were arrested during the Remembrance Sunday silence before the game against Aberdeen at Pittodrie.

they were charged with assault, doesn't give the full story though, possibly assaulting fans who were booing, maybe not

Another two men, aged 24 and 29, were arrested elsewhere in the stadium for unrelated offences.
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 10-11-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post

That sounds like one particularly noisy idiot and maybe five or ten of his mates chanting and clapping. To be fair to Celtc (not something that comes naturally to me) that is a tiny minority of their away support on Sunday.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    That sounds like one particularly noisy idiot and maybe five or ten of his mates chanting and clapping. To be fair to Celtc (not something that comes naturally to me) that is a tiny minority of their away support on Sunday.
    In a silent environment it one individual can make a right nuisance of himself. 5 -10 out of an away support of a couple of thousand making a nuisance of themselves is nothing to really be getting bothered out. A crowd of 18000 observed a minutes silence and while I don`t care for Celtic and their fans much, there is no stick to beat them with here in the grand scheme of things.