hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Brollies at Football

Conditions were crap yesterday but at least there was the consolation that I could watch the game.

Then people started putting brollies up and I could only see the parts of the pitch which weren't obscured by brollies.

I get the weather was crap and there's no roof to keep us dry but surely people must realise the impact they are having on other supporters when they put one up.

It's incredibly selfish if you ask me and surely if you are making the decision to take a brollie, it's just as easy to choose to wear clothes that will keep you dry.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Conditions were crap yesterday but at least there was the consolation that I could watch the game.

Then people started putting brollies up and I could only see the parts of the pitch which weren't obscured by brollies.

I get the weather was crap and there's no roof to keep us dry but surely people must realise the impact they are having on other supporters when they put one up.

It's incredibly selfish if you ask me and surely if you are making the decision to take a brollie, it's just as easy to choose to wear clothes that will keep you dry.
    Agree 100%.

Brollies are annoying enough in the street, as they are basically weapons in the hands of (some) people who have little control over them and the spikes which are being waved at eye level. I can't understand anyone putting up a umbrella when it must be obvious to them that they will be blocking a fellow supporter's view.

Slightly off topic ..... During the hugely entertaining and exciting Hibs v Dundee Utd match when Hibs got into the box shooting towards the FF I couldn't help getting off my seat in what I can only describe as excitement, only to constantly be told to 'sit doon' by the two guys behind me.

All I can say is ................. yer no at the pictures FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Agree 100%.

Brollies are annoying enough in the street, as they are basically weapons in the hands of (some) people who have little control over them and the spikes which are being waved at eye level. I can't understand anyone putting up a umbrella when it must be obvious to them that they will be blocking a fellow supporter's view.
    When you are 5'6" walking down the street on a rainy day requires safety goggles

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post

Are you seriously moaning about folk wanting to keep dry

Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    He's got a point.

I understand folk wanting to keep dry but a bit respect for those of us who wanted to see the game would have been nice. I got stuck behind some guy with a Titleist golf umbrella the size of a parachute who seemed determined I should see none of the game and maybe remove 1 or both my eyes just to be sure.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I get folk wanting to see the game but this must be an all time low, moaning now about a brolly

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not at all. I knew it was going to rain yesterday so wore something that would keep me dry.

I didn't take a brollie as I knew it would block the view of people behind me.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I had my golf brolly with me. Stood behind the goal where there was no terrace so as not to block anyone's view. Dry apart from feet. For the avoidance of doubt mine was a Footjoy Brolly.

back in my day(the seventies)if you took a brolly to a game you would be called a poof.

Wanted to take my brolly from car but decided against for the reasons stated, it's just ignorance as you must know you are blocking other people's view, either don't take one or stand where no one is behind you, Simples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I do not know how anyone could stand at the fitba and put up a brolly when there are folk behind them. It's just not the done thing surely .
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

The olden days. Did people complain in them days?

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

that's mental
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    If you want toput up a brollie you should stand at the back so you don't block people's view.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

That picture must have been taken at half time

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    If you want toput up a brollie you should stand at the back so you don't block people's view.
    Grabbed myself a cheeky spot up the very back of the South Stand under some branches. Was spot on until a older couple decided to stand in front of us (same level)and the woman put up an umbrella. Couple of loud swears as the game got started and she soon moved!

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Agree 100%.

It depends how big it is and how many fellow fans can shelter under it! :-))

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I get folk wanting to see the game but this must be an all time low, moaning now about a brolly
    Not at all - if folk are paying £18 to watch a game of football it is the height of ignorant selfishness to go and stand in front of them with a brolly up - if you want to keep dry on terraces in the rain then you wear an anorak with a hood - or if you must use a brolly then stand somewhere that you're not blocking other folks' view.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    There was plenty of space to avoid brollies.
    My Mrs and her mum (71) stood under one the full 90 and no-one objected.
    I wouldn't have welcomed an objection either.

Possibly the most churlish thread this season.

Quote Originally Posted by itslegaltender View Post
    Grabbed myself a cheeky spot up the very back of the South Stand under some branches. Was spot on until a older couple decided to stand in front of us (same level)and the woman put up an umbrella. Couple of loud swears as the game got started and she soon moved!
    Swearing at an old wummin. Bravo. Lucky it wasnae my Mother in Law. You'd have had a job swearing with the pointy end up yer arse.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Swearing at an old wummin. Bravo. Lucky it wasnae my Mother in Law. You'd have had a job swearing with the pointy end up yer arse.
    I took it to mean that loud swears at the game put said person off standing in proximity in fairness, not that he was calling said woman all the ****s under the sun

Wearing a waterproof jacket with a hood is the answer, surely?
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Dunno if this thread is a wind-up or not!!?

@hibs.net private member Don Giovanni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskyhibby View Post
    It depends how big it is and how many fellow fans can shelter under it! :-))

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Are we still talking about umbrellas here...?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I took it to mean that loud swears at the game put said person off standing in proximity in fairness, not that he was calling said woman all the ****s under the sun

Wearing a waterproof jacket with a hood is the answer, surely?
    Not sure what you're quoting there. The post I quoted reads to me like loud swearing made an old woman move, not what anyone was calling her. You think this swearing around the elderly is a good idea too?
    Because she had a brolly????

A brolly is the answer for some. Not for me, but for some. I even seen a couple of Hibs ones.
    There was plenty of room to avoid brollies. I managed easily.

Like I said. Churlish.

Not sure what you're quoting there. The post I quoted reads to me like loud swearing made an old woman move, not what anyone was calling her. You think this swearing around the elderly is a good idea too?

A brolly is the answer for some. Not for me, but for some. I even seen a couple of Hibs ones.

Like I said. Churlish.
    You're post suggested he was swearing at the old women when he wasn't. How do you know that when he started swearing it was with the intention of making the old women with the brollie move. You're jumping to conclusions and getting on your high horse without knowing the facts imo. People swear at the football all the time.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Like I said. Churlish.
    Your original post said 'swearing AT an old wummin' - I quoted you because I interpreted it slightly differently.

'[Do I think] swearing around the elderly is a good idea...?' - I've no idea what age said woman actually was - an 'older' couple to me would be in their 40s - whilst that's flippant though, swearing at the football is par for the course really.

For what it's worth, I've stood under a brolly at football before (behind the goals at Recreation Park against Alloa when it pissed down, start to finish). So long as it's considerate and not obstructive...

If they're avoidable, I don't see the problem but if someone came and stood right in front of me and put a brolly up, I'd be annoyed if there was so much in the way of space to avoid doing that.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

First Team Breakthrough
    Brollies are banned from most spl grounds

Quote Originally Posted by Hero76 View Post
    Brollies are banned from most spl grounds
    So that's why Steve McLaren turned us down.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Only ever acceptable if carried by someone in White skinners, with a suede head and wearing a black crombie coat. Creeches ultra violence my droogs.