hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

If we were bankrolled.

Unlikely I know but if a wealthy investor came in and financed us to such a level that we pissed the league and dominated Scottish football how would you feel?
    Would you forget all about the money and rejoice in our success or would a bit of you feel it wasn't a real achievement just money talking.

2. Log in to remove the advert

if we won the Scottish I wouldn't care how we went about it id just be ecstatic

I would smirk from ear to ear but as you say it wouldn't be the same character building Hibs that's made me the man I am today!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unlikely I know but if a wealthy investor came in and financed us to such a level that we pissed the league and dominated Scottish football how would you feel?
    Would you forget all about the money and rejoice in our success or would a bit of you feel it wasn't a real achievement just money talking.
    I'd be delighted.

You'd just find a new level to compete in, e.g. Champions League, and not pissing that would bring you back down to earth a bit.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Hearts Scottish cup wins aren't real achievements but it doesn't stop them going on about them

Wouldn't feel in the slightest bit bad about it.

Ask a Man City fan who supported his team year in and year out before Mansour came along how he felt when Aguero smashed in that goal on the last day of the season to win the league.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    We've earned the right to enjoy any success.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Im probably going against the majority but its not something that would really appeal to me. Sure I want to see us win things, but if we have just spent vastly more than other teams then whats the point? I like the ups and downs of being a Hibs fan, having the feeling that when we do achieve something its for the right reasons, and not because we have thrown a lot of cash at it.

Easter Road being filled with gloryhunters would be nauseating but us winning trophies will always be amazing and it would piss Hearts (along with pretty much everyone in Scotland) right off.

Is this some inside Info or just speculation?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: O7 titch 62
    Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    Im probably going against the majority but its not something that would really appeal to me. Sure I want to see us win things, but if we have just spent vastly more than other teams then whats the point? I like the ups and downs of being a Hibs fan, having the feeling that when we do achieve something its for the right reasons, and not because we have thrown a lot of cash at it.
    would your opinion change if the investor was a lifelong hibs fan?

Anyone who has supported Hibs for more than about 2 minutes and takes the "holier than thou, it would be tainted" route to the idea of us winning a few trophies now and again is lying or wants their head looked at.

As long as no charities got robbed and the person bank-rolling the success didn't post cringe-tastic press releases on the official website every 2 weeks, I could live with it.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Every team that's won the league in Scotland for the last 28 years, i.e. both of them, has bought the league anyway.

I find it hard to like Manchester City's recent successes because they just became the richest club in the world overnight, on the whim of a man with exorbitant wealth - but I bet their supporters couldn't give a flying **** about what others think, and they wouldn't swap that day in 2012 for anything.

If everything was above board financially and was without the laundering/jiggery/pokery/trail of debt left by other clubs it wouldn't bother me a jot.

90% of success in football has been brought about by financial clout going way, way back, it's nothing new. Only the scale and disparity has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This sums up my feelings too

Left by mutual consent!
    As long as we spent any windfall on the infrastructure i'd be delighted.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I suspect any fan of any club would be very happy, provided the investment was sustainable. There's no point ending up like Leeds and Rangers, or Hearts! The only way a club of Hibs' limited size could compete in the big time in the modern game would be via a multi billionaire. The days of a Notts Forest, for example, being European champions are long gone.

I want the corners of ER filled in and the stadium lit up green. I want a League and cup double and Champions League football. I want to beat Hearts 10-0. I want to be on .net moaning because we only beat Real Madrid by the odd goal.

That will do for starters :-D
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Every team that's won the league in Scotland for the last 28 years, i.e. both of them, has bought the league anyway.

I find it hard to like Manchester City's recent successes because they just became the richest club in the world overnight, on the whim of a man with exorbitant wealth - but I bet their supporters couldn't give a flying **** about what others think, and they wouldn't swap that day in 2012 for anything.
    I caught the end of an interview with Gary Neville and Noel Gallagher. NG claimed Ricky Hatton missed the 'old' Man City.

I'd love to have been standing next to Ricky Hatton when they won the league in 2012.....bet he never missed them that day!!

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    If the person was a true Hibbys and earned the money in an honest ethical way then bring it on.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Football is all about money so I wouldn't feel too badly. Without money, you can't compete at a serious level.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    How?

re OP: I suspect it would leave a sour taste in my mouth, if I'm honest. We're a big enough club to merit winning the Scottish Cup and challenging for the league already. Success that was 'bought' would be tainted, especially as we're a club who should be more more than capable of achieving both already without financial doping coming into it.

What we need to do is to be managed properly and live up to our potential. There's a big fan base out there that could be even bigger if we have success on the field and the if club works in the community to make us a focal point of it, it could go great lengths in ensuring that people in the East of Edinburgh and East Lothian are supporting their local club.

All I want for Hibs is to live up to their potential and to go from strength to strength through good management of the club. For me, we're a 'big' club in Scotland that's massively underachieved for almost all of the modern football era (sans The Famous Five). The business model at our level should roughly be as simple as: continuity in football philosophy so that youth development can flourish into great players and to sell them on to EPL etc and replace them with more youth and a suitable calibre of player (for our level) that would already be surrounded by experienced pros in the team to make their progress as smooth as possible. All of which is pretty much the opposite of what we've been doing post-2007.

We really are capable of so much more, as are Hearts and Aberdeen, and if we were to have the right ideals in place and the right people at the helm of to take the club forward, we could have much more success than we have ever had before (that sadly goes for the other two clubs I mentioned also).

Would I feel bad? Not at all.

Football is about money now so if you want to compete for trophies you have to put the money in. I can't see us winning any more than 1 or 2 trophies if we're lucky within the next 10/20 years. It almost feels like for a Scottish team outwith Celtic to win something they have to hit a good run of form and have a decent squad or a few exceptional talents and all at the right time.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    How?

re OP: I suspect it would leave a sour taste in my mouth, if I'm honest. We're a big enough club to merit winning the Scottish Cup and challenging for the league already. Success that was 'bought' would be tainted, especially as we're a club who should be more more than capable of achieving both already without financial doping coming into it.

What we need to do is to be managed properly and live up to our potential. There's a big fan base out there that could be even bigger if we have success on the field and the if club works in the community to make us a focal point of it, it could go great lengths in ensuring that people in the East of Edinburgh and East Lothian are supporting their local club.

All I want for Hibs is to live up to their potential and to go from strength to strength through good management of the club. For me, we're a 'big' club in Scotland that's massively underachieved for almost all of the modern football era (sans The Famous Five). The business model at our level should roughly be as simple as: continuity in football philosophy so that youth development can flourish into great players and to sell them on to EPL etc and replace them with more youth and a suitable calibre of player (for our level) that would already be surrounded by experienced pros in the team to make their progress as smooth as possible. All of which is pretty much the opposite of what we've been doing post-2007.

We really are capable of so much more, as are Hearts and Aberdeen, and if we were to have the right ideals in place and the right people at the helm of to take the club forward, we could have much more success than we have ever had before (that sadly goes for the other two clubs I mentioned also).
    You've made a good, well argued response there, but allow us to dream for a while. Just think of Champions League nights at ER under the lights. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Would I feel bad? Not at all.

Football is about money now so if you want to compete for trophies you have to put the money in. I can't see us winning any more than 1 or 2 trophies if we're lucky within the next 10/20 years. It almost feels like for a Scottish team outwith Celtic to win something they have to hit a good run of form and have a decent squad or a few exceptional talents and all at the right time.
    And a squad that would be broken up at the first hint of success by big money bids.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post

And a squad that would be broken up at the first hint of success by big money bids.
    We were quite fortunate in that we managed to get the League Cup during a season where we had some genuinely class players, Murphy, Fletcher, Jones, Whittaker, Boozy, Sproule, Benji and a Chris Hogg that was making leaps and bounds. Especially during a time when Celtic and Rangers were picking up anyone remotely resembling a footballer from SPL teams and then the other English sides sniffing around as well.

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    I would be delighted.Look at any supposedly "Big Team" they have mostly had fame through investment on the park,good players follow the money and who could blame them.FIFA and UEFA have done there damnedness to make football an elitist sport and don't forget it was our now defunct weegie neighbour The Rangers that really it took it to another level in in scotland.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Wouldn't feel in the slightest bit bad about it.

Ask a Man City fan who supported his team year in and year out before Mansour came along how he felt when Aguero smashed in that goal on the last day of the season to win the league.
    Yes but ask them how they feel this morning after that pile of piss last night

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    I caught the end of an interview with Gary Neville and Noel Gallagher. NG claimed Ricky Hatton missed the 'old' Man City.

I'd love to have been standing next to Ricky Hatton when they won the league in 2012.....bet he never missed them that day!!
    I know what he means.

I don't watch much English football these days but when I do watch man city it looks pish, especially at home, even of they do have some unbelievable players and win the majority of the time.

If I was offered tickets for a man city or someone like west ham, it'd be west ham without giving it a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    Yes but ask them how they feel this morning after that pile of piss last night
    Probably happier than when they were in the second tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    If everything was above board financially and was without the laundering/jiggery/pokery/trail of debt left by other clubs it wouldn't bother me a jot.

In football, hard cash is hard cash but success on the never-never will never have any credibility. We're one of the supports who will do well to remember that when we're getting it tight about certain past results.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Is this some inside Info or just speculation?

Neither.