hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David James

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My point is that the reasons for financial difficulty ought to influence how you respond to it. For example, Hibs' board making disastrous investments in a chain of hotels and Hearts repeatedly spending far more than they could afford on wages had pretty much the same result from a financial point of view, but one is clearly cheating from a sporting point of view and one isn't.

In the same way, reckless spending on living the high life or taking bad advice on investments could equally well bankrupt a footballer. Since you don't know what caused David James' situation, taking an attitude of 'he was rich once, so I've zero sympathy' is fairly indefensible IMO.
    I think you are kidding yourself if you think that someone who has amassed approximate earnings in the region of £20m has had to resort to bankruptcy purely on the back of bad property investment advice. And it's for that reason I've zero sympathy.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I have sympathy with hibee boys. I'm not celebrating the fact the guy is on his erse, but find it hard to feel pity for a multi-millionaire who blows a fortune. It's totally avoidable. He had the dream life.
    Sometimes it's unavoidable.

I have seen more than a few situations where well set-up people and businesses have lost the lot because of things beyond their control. An unforeseen bad debt, sometimes higher up the chain, a change in the regulatory environment, or a change in banks' policy. These are all real situations, which would have been very difficult to predict.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    I think you are kidding yourself if you think that someone who has amassed approximate earnings in the region of £20m has had to resort to bankruptcy purely on the back of bad property investment advice. And it's for that reason I've zero sympathy.
    So tell me, what was it that put David James in this position?

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    With a bit of foresight the guy will have stuck a decent amount away in a pension pot which , I think the trustees in bankruptcy can't touch.

Might have something for the old age.

Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    With a bit of foresight the guy will have stuck a decent amount away in a pension pot which , I think the trustees in bankruptcy can't touch.

Might have something for the old age.
    It used to be the case that certain occupations, footballers included, could take their pension at 35. Not sure if that still holds.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It used to be the case that certain occupations, footballers included, could take their pension at 35. Not sure if that still holds.
    Was prior to 2006, 55 now.

@hibs.net private member
    So tell me, what was it that put David James in this position?
    I don't know the correct answer to that anymore than you can be sure that he's bankrupt exclusively due to bad investment advice. I think it would be not be out of the realms of possibility however that he has lived an extravagant lifestyle throughout his career. A lifestyle which could have been curtailed only ever so slightly to ensure reasonable financial independence post career, that he was in full control off.

I'm always dubious when I hear about people like james being "bankrupt". I always think they have planned ahead, hidden/transferred assets and this is simply a way of clearing bad debts

I'm sure he'll be just fine.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    I don't know the correct answer to that anymore than you can be sure that he's bankrupt exclusively due to bad investment advice. I think it would be not be out of the realms of possibility however that he has lived an extravagant lifestyle throughout his career. A lifestyle which could have been curtailed only ever so slightly to ensure reasonable financial independence post career, that he was in full control off.
    I've never claimed to know how he ended up in this situation (bad investments is a hypothetical example) – the point that you have missed repeatedly is that there are different ways to end up bankrupt, with different levels of blame on the person involved, and so this blanket 'zero sympathy' without knowing any facts is absurd.

Good night.

I've no sympathy for anyone who haa been in receipt of the level of wages your average premiership footballer earns who ends up in this position. They are more than aware of their limited shelf life in professional sport, no excuse to not plan for life after football.
    Having worked with many ex professionals, mostly young lads, most don't realise it. Most have a invincible attitude where there is no end.

@hibs.net private member
    I've never claimed to know how he ended up in this situation (bad investments is a hypothetical example) – the point that you have missed repeatedly is that there are different ways to end up bankrupt, with different levels of blame on the person involved, and so this blanket 'zero sympathy' without knowing any facts is absurd.

Good night.
    At what point did I say I had a blanket zero sympathy approach to all bankrupts? I said that I had no sympathy for a footballer/s who earn millions throughout their career and choose to squander a large majority of it. I take great offence to your suggestion that I'm not sympathetic to bankrupts in all situations, I've experience in financial services dealing with individuals/companies exactly in this situation.

At what point did I say I had a blanket zero sympathy approach to all bankrupts? I said that I had no sympathy for a footballer/s who earn millions throughout their career and choose to squander a large majority of it. I take great offence to your suggestion that I'm not sympathetic to bankrupts in all situations, I've experience in financial services dealing with individuals/companies exactly in this situation.
    You used the word "squander", yet none of us know how he got into the situation.

As I said above, sometimes it is unavoidable.

He's playing/coaching in the new Indian league set up, along with Robert Pires, Trezeguet, Del Piero, Anelka etc, sure he will be getting a fairly decent wage over there you'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Kid View Post
    He's playing/coaching in the new Indian league set up, along with Robert Pires, Trezeguet, Del Piero, Anelka etc, sure he will be getting a fairly decent wage over there you'd think.
    Sorry to change the direction of the thread slightly but I've just noticed that Stephen Pearson and Jamie McAllister both play for the team that David James manages in India.

Totally missed that!

I'm not saying it's the case with James, but often gambling addiction is the unseen villain at the table. Footballers are often thrust into that that culture from an early age, and unlike drugs and alcoholism, it leaves no apparent change in behaviour. It's easy, if you are making big money, to get hooked on the buzz of laying off huge bets, knowing your wages will cover it.

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Having worked with many ex professionals, mostly young lads, most don't realise it. Most have a invincible attitude where there is no end.
    The Rangers number 8

Quote Originally Posted by hibeemikey21 View Post
    I'm always dubious when I hear about people like james being "bankrupt". I always think they have planned ahead, hidden/transferred assets and this is simply a way of clearing bad debts

I'm sure he'll be just fine.
    Aye and that fanny Kerry Katonas gone bust more than once. Zero sympathy from me. My dad was declared bankrupt 30 yrs ago when it actually meant something.....and the stigma of a failed business broke him.
    Bankruptsy is now too easy an option for those that piss it all away........

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastHibby View Post
    Aye and that fanny Kerry Katonas gone bust more than once. Zero sympathy from me. My dad was declared bankrupt 30 yrs ago when it actually meant something.....and the stigma of a failed business broke him.
    Bankruptsy is now too easy an option for those that piss it all away........
    On yer erse one minute and top of the league and flying the next

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    You used the word "squander", yet none of us know how he got into the situation.
    In his 2004 autobiography, Stan Collymore described his time lodging with James when they both played for Liverpool in 1995. “If he [James] had a new car and he pranged it, he would just go and buy a new car – so there were five cars parked in the drive. If he bought a new pair of shoes and he scuffed them, he wouldn’t clean them. He would just chuck them in the spare room and buy a new pair.
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 06-11-2014 at 07:26 AM.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    My point is that the reasons for financial difficulty ought to influence how you respond to it. For example, Hibs' board making disastrous investments in a chain of hotels and Hearts repeatedly spending far more than they could afford on wages had pretty much the same result from a financial point of view, but one is clearly cheating from a sporting point of view and one isn't.

In the same way, reckless spending on living the high life or taking bad advice on investments could equally well bankrupt a footballer. Since you don't know what caused David James' situation, taking an attitude of 'he was rich once, so I've zero sympathy' is fairly indefensible IMO.
    Seems the main creditor is HMRC.............perhaps thats a wee clue?
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    Seems the main creditor is HMRC.............perhaps thats a wee clue?
    Awaiting howls of disapproval from the new custodians of Taxpayer morality coming from a Pink Bus Shelter on the West side of Edinburgh.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    Awaiting howls of disapproval from the new custodians of Taxpayer morality coming from a Pink Bus Shelter on the West side of Edinburgh.
    hehe
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

David James has gone bankrupt?
    He never was that good at saving!

Quote Originally Posted by MixuPutALineOn View Post
    Did he post his net earnings?

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    He palmed those questions away.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixuPutALineOn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    He palmed those questions away.
    Open the windaes. The patter is stinking the place oot :-D
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Open the windaes. The patter is stinking the place oot :-D

TBH its not half as bad as when James played his dire keeping abilities on his Playstation haha