hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HFC remembers

Well done Hibs. They have got this one right.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No one is disputing the cause, but it's perfectly legitimate to ask questions about how specific charities spend the money they receive. HfH receive huge amounts of money, and I'm not particularly convinced by them either.
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    That's perfectly fine, your untitled to your opinion and I respect that. However I am led to believe that HfH pay out vast amounts towards rehabilitation to servicemen and woman. Infact I believe they helped build several rehabilitation centres round the country and put vast amounts into the main military hospital I'n Birmingham that help with numerous casualties.

GGTTH
    The bit in bold is exactly the point that jacomoseven and I are questioning - why should it be charitable funds donated by the public that are spent on crisis centres and hospitals. Surely that's in the MoD's remit. No?

It's even more questionable if you look at the conflicts that the soldiers have been injured in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    So any poem would be acceptable, because "it's just a line from a poem?"
    Tell you what, see the next time you have cause to seek assistance from the forces, police, fire brigade, ambulance service, etc, etc, mind and ask them which team they support. Then they can prioritise who they tend to first.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    The bit in bold is exactly the point that jacomoseven and I are questioning - why should it be charitable funds donated by the public that are spent on crisis centres and hospitals. Surely that's in the MoD's remit. No?

It's even more questionable if you look at the conflicts that the soldiers have been injured in.
    Could you not say that about almost every charity in existance? Help the Homeless, children in need etc you could say shouldn't the government be dealing with that. Unfortunately there is only limited resources and money that the Government can provide.

Anyway this goes beyond anything Hibs related so probably best left for another thread.
    Last edited by Gatecrasher; 03-11-2014 at 12:52 PM.

I see no problem in commemorating those who fought in the first two world wars, but I don't understand why current serving members of the forces get free tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    Tell you what, see the next time you have cause to seek assistance from the forces, police, fire brigade, ambulance service, etc, etc, mind and ask them which team they support. Then they can prioritise who they tend to first.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I don't see why anyone should be negative about either "supporting" or "remembering". As for your "cheerleader for the military" comment, I find it both pathetic and ignorant in the extreme.
    Ah right, of course we should all fall in line & support, if we don't we need to be called names.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Your first attempt at attacking this was to have a go at them for using the line from a War Poem, which was from the first world war. You've now abandoned that and accused this of not being about anyone from the World wars and just about supporting current soldiers. I am sure if Hibs could hand out tickets to soldiers and their immediate families from WW1 and 2, they would... unfortunately not many of these heroes are around nowadays.

Nobody is asking you to pay for their tickets. What is the problem with making such a gesture towards current soldiers and their families on the same day as we pay tribute to those who fell for us, all those years ago. Bear in mind - these soldiers are ordinary people like you and I, many of them likely friends of people on here. Really don't get your issue.

"oncrack" indeed.
    Nothing abandoned, it is a matter of fact that this poem has been used as recruitment propaganda.

What is wrong is that remembrance & support for present day military adventures have become inseparable, which is in my view wrong.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Ah right, of course we should all fall in line & support, if we don't we need to be called names.
    Was your cheerleader comment not name calling?

Nothing abandoned, it is a matter of fact that this poem has been used as recruitment propaganda.

What is wrong is that remembrance & support for present day military adventures have become inseparable, which is in my view wrong.
    Completely agree with your second point.

Quote Originally Posted by Antwerphibs View Post
    Completely agree with your second point.
    So you're either unable or unwilling to distinguish between military intervention and individual servicemen/women?

I hate this site sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by MehHFC View Post
    I hate this site sometimes.

Well this is all very tiresomely predictable

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post

S, no one is asking you to give anything to any charity. That's the point of the charity it's up to the individual to give to whichever charity they choose too. If these charities are well supported and they want to give the money collected to help with rehabilitation surely if you object or find it rather unsavoury then you will give your hard earned pennies to a charity you do agree with.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Canongatehibs View Post
    Sorry, i just see they Army faces as Rangers fans.
    Here we go - the Charge of the Celtic-Lite Brigade. Give it a rest. It's got sweet FA to do with Rangers.

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar

Disagree entirely with both your points.

That something has been used for one purpose does not preclude it beig used for another.

I have to say that i have not seen any blurring of appreciation for soldiers doing a difficult job, remembrance and political support for the mission. These are quite different and you can support the first two without agreeing with the third! Soldiers do not decide where they go to work, that is the job of the government as voted in by the citizens of the country.

Was your cheerleader comment not name calling?
    Cheerleading; leading the cheers, supporting, not an insult but a description of behaviour.

You or anyone else is perfectly entitled to hold the military in the highest of esteem if you wish, nobody has questioned that, but I resent my football club- it belongs as much to me as it does to you- being used as a vehicle for this. When such displays are disguised as 'remembrance' its even worse, quite offensive to the memory of the fallen IMO, ordinary people as has been said, maybe some of them would resent the way their memory has been exploited.

Cheerleading; leading the cheers, supporting, not an insult but a description of behaviour.

You or anyone else is perfectly entitled to hold the military in the highest of esteem if you wish, nobody has questioned that, but I resent my football club- it belongs as much to me as it does to you- being used as a vehicle for this. When such displays are disguised as 'remembrance' its even worse, quite offensive to the memory of the fallen IMO, ordinary people as has been said, maybe some of them would resent the way their memory has been exploited.

You're barking mate!

Fantastic gesture from a truly inclusive football club

You're barking mate!
    Quality riposte.

Quality riposte.
    At least we agree on something.

The chain reaction of evil--wars producing more wars -- must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.

~Martin Luther King, Jr

Sorry Hibs but I cant support your support for illegal wars.

I will commemorate those who have died in the WW1 and other wars but I cant support an army that takes part in illegal wars which sees poor people fighting poor people only to make the rich richer.
    Last edited by harpo; 03-11-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo View Post
    The chain reaction of evil--wars producing more wars -- must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.

~Martin Luther King, Jr

Sorry Hibs but I cant support your support for illegal wars.
    They haven't supported illegal wars.

Some on here need to show an ounce of compassion and really have to stop their grand rhetoric. They need to forget their political position for one moment and remember that we are dealing with someone's son, sister or brother. Your average solider is not political just like your average punter. Soldiers are doing a job, a very dangerous job at that. If you are going to blame anyone blame politicians but soldiers are as much victims as anyone. We have a duty to look after our people, particularly when they have been sent on misadventures.

Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post
    Some on here need to show an ounce of compassion and really have to stop their grand rhetoric. They need to forget their political position for one moment and remember that we are dealing with someone's son, sister or brother. Your average solider is not political just like your average punter. Soldiers are doing a job, a very dangerous job at that. If you are going to blame anyone blame politicians but soldiers are as much victims as anyone. We have a duty to look after our people, particularly when they have been sent on misadventures.
    I think that's all that needs to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    They haven't supported illegal wars.
    The flag clearly states supporting with pride.

Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post

Supporting illegal wars with pride?

It doesn't say anything about illegal wars does it?