hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Martin O'Neill (Scotland related)

Just read an article that suggests Martin O'Neill intends to sit down with Aidan McGeady and James McCarthy this week to 'prepare them' for the hostile reception they'll possibly receive in Glasgow.

I hope the reception they receive is beyond hostile - ferocious in fact...I hope that hostile atmosphere is unanimous to the entire Republic of Ireland team and that they find it difficult to play in.

That should be the case when you play away from home in a European qualifier...trying to drag some sectarian issue (the journalist) into the fray is pitiful in my opinion as the Scottish support leave club tribalism at the door for the most part.
    Last edited by Sylar; 02-11-2014 at 03:21 PM.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough SmithyHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: SmithyNYG
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just read an article that suggests Martin O'Neill intends to sit down with Aidan McGeady and James McCarthy this week to 'prepare them' for the hostile reception they'll possibly receive in Glasgow.

I hope the reception they receive is beyond hostile - ferocious in fact...I hope that hostile atmosphere is unanimous to the entire Republic of Ireland team and that they find it difficult to play in.

That should be the case when you play away from home in a European qualifier...trying to drag some sectarian issue into the fray is pitiful in my opinion as the Scottish support leave club tribalism at the door for the most part.
    Don't think its a Sectarian issue at all, the fact both players were born in and brought up in Scotland yet chose to play for Ireland is more the reason why they will be getting a hostile reception, quite right too IMO

I think it has more to do with the fact that they chose to play for ROI over Scotland than anything sectarian to be fair!

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithyHibee View Post
    Don't think its a Sectarian issue at all, the fact both players were born in and brought up in Scotland yet chose to play for Ireland is more the reason why they will be getting a hostile reception, quite right too IMO
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I should stress that the notion of 'sectarian abuse' was mentioned in the article - it's not my personal interpretation either!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post
    I think it has more to do with the fact that they chose to play for ROI over Scotland than anything sectarian to be fair!
    Imagine being Scottish, and playing against them in a European qualifier
    Last edited by Billy Whizz; 02-11-2014 at 03:46 PM.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I think if they could chose again they would elect to play for Scotland.

The Republic had a great record of qualifying for years but are now going backwards.

Hopefully Gordon Strachan has got us on the up and its us that qualify regularly.

I don't really get the anger aimed at McCarthy to be honest. He was playing regularly for Hamilton 1st team at 16 but was left out of 3 or 4 Scotland under 17 squads in a row. Ireland offered him a route into international football and he took it. He always said if Scotland had asked first he would have played for us but he wasn't going to change allegiance after agreeing to play for Ireland. The fact his Irish grandfather died around the time Ireland came calling probably had an emotional impact on his decision as well.

The McGeady situation is different in that the SFA have a long running policy of not picking players for select squads who don't play school football. Celtic don't allow youth players to play school football. Ireland don't have the same rules and McGeady was asked to play for them, he didn't choose not to play for Scotland at youth level, he wasn't eligible under the rules. I'd imagine once you get experience of, and affinity with, a certain set up it's not easy to turn your back on it.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Sure McCarthy said once in an interview something along the lines of, among other reasons, "I play for Ireland because I support Celtic" or something as equally ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Sure McCarthy said once in an interview something along the lines of, among other reasons, "I play for Ireland because I support Celtic" or something as equally ridiculous.
    I'm not so sure he did. He gave perfectly valid reasons for his decision including family ties. That was his right and I see nothing at all wrong with that.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Sorry but I hope they get dogs abuse along with the rest of the Republic team.

They chose who to play for. I hope Darkheid is a cauldron of noise and fear for everyone of them.

Spot on.
    Their personal choice, I see nothing wrong with that.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I don't really get the anger aimed at McCarthy to be honest. He was playing regularly for Hamilton 1st team at 16 but was left out of 3 or 4 Scotland under 17 squads in a row. Ireland offered him a route into international football and he took it. He always said if Scotland had asked first he would have played for us but he wasn't going to change allegiance after agreeing to play for Ireland. The fact his Irish grandfather died around the time Ireland came calling probably had an emotional impact on his decision as well.

The McGeady situation is different in that the SFA have a long running policy of not picking players for select squads who don't play school football. Celtic don't allow youth players to play school football. Ireland don't have the same rules and McGeady was asked to play for them, he didn't choose not to play for Scotland at youth level, he wasn't eligible under the rules. I'd imagine once you get experience of, and affinity with, a certain set up it's not easy to turn your back on it.
    I'd find it easier to turn my back on a certain set up than I would my own country. The both of them are traitors

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I'd find it easier to turn my back on a certain set up than I would my own country. The both of them are traitors
    Traitors? If I'd emigrated to Australia before my kids were born and they grew up and chose to represent Scotland I'd be absolutely delighted. Would they be traitors?

I think that's an exagerrated and unhelpful position to take on those players, especially with the explanations given as to why they chose each country.

There are lots of examples of players that have chosen to play for Scotland but previously were more aligned to another nation, e.g. Andy Goram was English.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

If I had been lucky enough to excel in something where you could represent your country, I would only represent Scotland. I wouldnt settle for playing for someone elses country just because I wasnt good enough for Scotland, or because for one reason or another I just wasnt being selected for my own. Have some national pride for **** sake.

Thats my take on it anyway.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Traitors? If I'd emigrated to Australia before my kids were born and they grew up and chose to represent Scotland I'd be absolutely delighted. Would they be traitors?
    If they grew up considering themselves Australian (not Scotish), then aye.

If James McCarthy grew up in a family, with an Irish background, and grew up feeling he was Irish, then I'd have no issue with him representing Ireland. Thats not the reason he's done it though.

edit - maybe 'traitors' is too strong, but along those lines.
    Last edited by easty; 02-11-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Neither of these 2 players immigrated so it's not the same

United we stand here....

Neither of these 2 players immigrated so it's not the same
    Maybe you need to think about that one. Born and bred in Australia but opting to play for Scotland? Isn't that just the same?
    If they identify themselves as Irish then it's really none of my business, it's their right and their own personal decision. Isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    I think that's an exagerrated and unhelpful position to take on those players, especially with the explanations given as to why they chose each country.

There are lots of examples of players that have chosen to play for Scotland but previously were more aligned to another nation, e.g. Andy Goram was English.
    Goram had a Scottish fathet and probably thought his best chance of making the grade in international football was to play for Scotland. He represented England at youth level and i suspect he would have chosen them if he thought he'd have been 1st choice. Most players who play for Scotland who aren't Scottish do so because they wouldn't get a game for their own country, normally England. These 2 turned their back on this country.

United we stand here....

Maybe you need to think about that one. Born and bred in Australia but opting to play for Scotland? Isn't that just the same?
    If they identify themselves as Irish then it's really none of my business, it's their right and their own personal decision. Isn't it?
    It is their right and it's my right not to agree with.

United we stand here....

Goram had a Scottish fathet and probably thought his best chance of making the grade in international football was to play for Scotland. He represented England at youth level and i suspect he would have chosen them if he thought he'd have been 1st choice. Most players who play for Scotland who aren't Scottish do so because they wouldn't get a game for their own country, normally England. These 2 turned their back on this country.
    But they didn't.

McCarthy was never selected to play for Scotland at any level before Ireland came calling.

McGeady had played for Scotland at under 13s or something when he was at Queens Park, when he signed for Celtic he was left out of the Scotland select set up because of rules and was invited to play for Ireland because the same rules didn't apply there.

Maybe McCarthy felt the same as Goram when he saw Rangers and Celtic 16 year olds who had never been near the 1st team getting into Scotland squads ahead of him.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I really hope we hump the Irish

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    [QUOTE=marinello59;4215388]Maybe you need to think about that one. Born and bred in Australia but opting to play for Scotland? Isn't that just the same?
    If they identify themselves as Irish then it's really none of my business, it's their right and their own personal decision. Isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Sure is, but as I posted earlier I reckon they thought they would have a far better chance of playing for Ireland in major finals.

Players mature at different rates so just because a player doesn't get schoolboy caps doesn't mean he won't get full caps later (and vice versa).

FWIW I hope they get pelters and it leads to them playing c***.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithyHibee View Post
    i think it is a sectarian issue, but with the players - that they chose to play for ireland because they are celtic fans is a clear sign of that IMO. this isn't even about being 'traitors' or anything - more to do with them being fannies. i hope they get as hostile a reception as anyone has ever gotten. they are dinosaurs, and their playing for ireland is a symptom of one of the scottish game's greatest problems.

It is their right and it's my right not to agree with.
    Of course it is. It's the fact that some think it justifies abuse that I don't get though.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

I have never heard of this policy before. What is the rationale behind this?

Of course it is. It's the fact that some think it justifies abuse that I don't get though.
    They should be hung drawn and quartered imo

United we stand here....

But they didn't.

McCarthy was never selected to play for Scotland at any level before Ireland came calling.

McGeady had played for Scotland at under 13s or something when he was at Queens Park, when he signed for Celtic he was left out of the Scotland select set up because of rules and was invited to play for Ireland because the same rules didn't apply there.

Maybe McCarthy felt the same as Goram when he saw Rangers and Celtic 16 year olds who had never been near the 1st team getting into Scotland squads ahead of him.
    Both of them had the chance to switch to playing for Scotland, both chose not to. They're as irish as their fellow Celtic fans who will be in the Irish end when we play them

United we stand here....

They should be hung drawn and quartered imo
    Harsh.