hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lewis Stevenson

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    One of the most under-rated Hibs players of all time along with Paul Hanlon. I admire both unconditionally for the attitude and honesty that they bring to our play.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of the most under-rated Hibs players of all time along with Paul Hanlon. I admire both unconditionally for the attitude and honesty that they bring to our play.
    On the subject of Hanlon, I was delighted to see him having a go at Ciftci last night after he was clattered by him by the halfway line.

Hanlon often wrongly gets accused of not being brave/physical enough on here, but I was glad to see him assert himself like he did in that situation.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Pains me that we had McGivern giving away goals nearly every week and generally playing horrendously in our run in last season whilst Lewis sat it out. Admittedly he wasn't playing like this last season, however it just shows how much more Stubbs gets out of players than that last clown.
    Easy to forget that Lewis broke through as a centre midfielder and has had to completely change his game so many times due to being shunted around everywhere. Deserves credit for that alone

Lets not get too carried away here, phrases like found a new level and consistent performer i agree are absolutely correct. He is a consistent performer in the Championship, he has found a new level, in the Championship. I believe that this his level.

Anybody can batter in 100 crosses and get a few assists of them, his first 4 or 5 crosses last night were pathetic and this has been the story throughout his career at a higher lever, this is the Championship. But lets not start hyping up a very average player for the last 7 years. With the emergence of what will be a really good player in Scott Allan i hope Lewis Stevenson sees far less of the ball as we will get many more assists and goals from Allan. The ball goes through Stevenson far too much for us to be truely effective at a higher level.

Great engine, brilliant fitness and desire with an obvious real love for Hibs, but massively limited footballer who is having a good start to the season in which most of us have been distraught with until recently

Quote Originally Posted by pedroorange1875 View Post
    Lets not get too carried away here, phrases like found a new level and consistent performer i agree are absolutely correct. He is a consistent performer in the Championship, he has found a new level, in the Championship. I believe that this his level.

Anybody can batter in 100 crosses and get a few assists of them, his first 4 or 5 crosses last night were pathetic and this has been the story throughout his career at a higher lever, this is the Championship. But lets not start hyping up a very average player for the last 7 years. With the emergence of what will be a really good player in Scott Allan i hope Lewis Stevenson sees far less of the ball as we will get many more assists and goals from Allan. The ball goes through Stevenson far too much for us to be truely effective at a higher level.

Great engine, brilliant fitness and desire with an obvious real love for Hibs, but massively limited footballer who is having a good start to the season in which most of us have been distraught with until recently
    "I believe that is his level"? What are you on about? We were playing a top SPL team last night.

Some people just can't help themselves.

You're opinion and you're entitled to it but many, including me, disagree
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I definitely second this.

"I believe that is his level"? What are you on about? We were playing a top SPL team last night.

Your talking about 1 game, i know exactly what im on about or are you going to mention he was MOM in the cup final....we were relegated with people like Lewis Stevenson in the team, we have never been a consistent top six SPL side, we have been a lucky Championship side for about 3/4 years now and finally got our deserved relegation. I have sat watching utter garbage for the last 5 years and its because we have stuck with (and im not solely saying just him) players of inferior quality. We are a massive club, its simple, as a group of players we need better quality than Lewis Stevenson or we will get exactly what we have got for the last 5 years, im not sure that can be argued as history has already proven. However as it has been said everyone is entitled to their opinion and i have great admiration for his loyalty, he has a very good engine and a desire to do the best for Hibs and always gives 110% no doubt, he is just not near the quality we need to be a top team, and lets not get carried away here we are a developing championship team, which looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post

Totally fine, that's what opinions are for

Your talking about 1 game, i know exactly what im on about or are you going to mention he was MOM in the cup final....we were relegated with people like Lewis Stevenson in the team, we have never been a consistent top six SPL side, we have been a lucky Championship side for about 3/4 years now and finally got our deserved relegation. I have sat watching utter garbage for the last 5 years and its because we have stuck with (and im not solely saying just him) players of inferior quality. We are a massive club, its simple, as a group of players we need better quality than Lewis Stevenson or we will get exactly what we have got for the last 5 years, im not sure that can be argued as history has already proven. However as it has been said everyone is entitled to their opinion and i have great admiration for his loyalty, he has a very good engine and a desire to do the best for Hibs and always gives 110% no doubt, he is just not near the quality we need to be a top team, and lets not get carried away here we are a developing championship team, which looks promising.
    "or are you going to mention he was MOM in the cup final"

So your defence is bringing up that he's been one of our top performers for years?

Your view but I think it's pish.

"or are you going to mention he was MOM in the cup final"

So your defence is bringing up that he's been one of our top performers for years?

really

Your opinion differs and thats fine

@hibs.net private member hibbymick's Avatar
    I agree.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    been saying this for a few years myself, we are were we are due to the players of limited ability
    like lewis, he is a good pro but that doesnt make him a good player. but you darent say anything against him cause if you do then your talking pish.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    been saying this for a few years myself, we are were we are due to the players of limited ability
    like lewis, he is a good pro but that doesnt make him a good player. but you darent say anything against him cause if you do then your talking pish.
    What are you expecting from a left back? The wee guy has hit good form, rarely wastes a ball, good deliveries, honest work ethic and terrific attitude.

First Team Breakthrough Calum68's Avatar

Well said.

Well done, i was enjoying reading this post full of positive vibes about Lewis and his contribution to last nights game.

All you have done here is go back in time and state rather obvious things from other postings.

Why cant you just be happy that he IS playing so well in a position that is not his best!! He has given everything to the jersey why cant you let him have a bit of the praise he deserves without spoiling it for Him.

Ok so he is playing in the championship and so is Scott Allan? You are seeing him playing well in this division too are you not? What makes you so sure he would be a top player in the higher division.? He didnt quite hit it off with DU in the premier league or when he went down south either? Like you i think he is a good player for us in this league!

But this posting is about Lewis and how he is playing NOW and in this league, let him have the praise! You never know he and the others Allan included may come on better with praise when its due!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    Well done, i was enjoying reading this post full of positive vibes about Lewis and his contribution to last nights game.

All you have done here is go back in time and state rather obvious things from other postings.

Why cant you just be happy that he IS playing so well in a position that is not his best!! He has given everything to the jersey why cant you let him have a bit of the praise he deserves without spoiling it for Him.

Ok so he is playing in the championship and so is Scott Allan? You are seeing him playing well in this division too are you not? What makes you so sure he would be a top player in the higher division.? He didnt quite hit it off with DU in the premier league or when he went down south either? Like you i think he is a good player for us in this league!

But this posting is about Lewis and how he is playing NOW and in this league, let him have the praise! You never know he and the others Allan included may come on better with praise when its due!!

Rubbish, i have experience of sitting watching absolute garbage and paying £405 for the privilege for the last 5'ish years.. if you dont agree its fine but dont start writing nonsense. History over 7 years proves he is nothing more than average, Scott Allan has a few years to prove that still but i never have seen Stevenson drift past 5 or 6 in tight midfield with confident ease on more than a few occasions now or in the last 7 years.

Let me state again i have a lot of admiration for someone who gives us 110%, never shirks any task given him and obviously loves Hibs...but he just an average player who is doing well in the championship so far for 9 games..Joe Cardle is playing in the SPL

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    On the subject of Hanlon, I was delighted to see him having a go at Ciftci last night after he was clattered by him by the halfway line.

Hanlon often wrongly gets accused of not being brave/physical enough on here, but I was glad to see him assert himself like he did in that situation.
    The different between how he deablt with Ciftci last night and last season in our 1-3 loss was night and day, no more getting pushed around by big forwards for Hanlon.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Stevenson has developed as a player massively in the last few seasons. I think he's a genuinely good footballer and IMHO is one of the first names on the team sheet. He's been a joy to watch for a while now.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Rubbish, i have experience of sitting watching absolute garbage and paying £405 for the privilege for the last 5'ish years.. if you dont agree its fine but dont start writing nonsense. History over 7 years proves he is nothing more than average, Scott Allan has a few years to prove that still but i never have seen Stevenson drift past 5 or 6 in tight midfield with confident ease on more than a few occasions now or in the last 7 years.

Let me state again i have a lot of admiration for someone who gives us 110%, never shirks any task given him and obviously loves Hibs...but he just an average player who is doing well in the championship so far for 9 games..Joe Cardle is playing in the SPL
    you're a bit conflicted then ...?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Stevenson has developed as a player massively in the last few seasons. I think he's a genuinely good footballer and IMHO is one of the first names on the team sheet. He's been a joy to watch for a while now.
    And yet there are still those that come back to that MOM performance as a stick to beat him with - perverse! Maybe they didn't get enough praise as a child? Who knows? All this "living off X" is a little tedious - what a miserable existstance.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I agree.

I remember last season when most were hiding on the pitch Stevenson more times than not was Mr Dependable but for some reason, he was continually dropped - after getting a goal and a few assists in the games beforehand too! He plays the LB position very well and generally puts in a good shift wherever he's deployed. Lewis is an asset to the team.

Nonsense. His best games this season have come against County, Rangers, United and Hearts. All teams that are either Premiership or would finish around mid table if placed in it now. He's been given a massive confidence boost by Stubbs who clearly likes him and while i agree his final ball can be hit or miss, that goes for Gray, Kennedy, Harris etc also. If they could beat a man everytime and deliver a perfect cross they wouldn't be here.

Only disappointment for me was that he didn't take a penalty.

As one of our most experienced players he should have been higher up the order than 9th or 10th.

Over the 120 minutes he was very good though but that's not a suprise, it's what I've come to expect from him. He's a good player.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Only disappointment for me was that he didn't take a penalty.

As one of our most experienced players he should have been higher up the order than 9th or 10th.

Over the 120 minutes he was very good though but that's not a suprise, it's what I've come to expect from him. He's a good player.
    He might be one of the most experienced, but he's scored two goals in 235 appearances! I wouldn't be surprised if every single player on the park for Hibs had had more shots on goal in their Hibs careers than Lewis has in his (maybe even Oxley!).

No problem with him not taking one sooner.

Think of the last few years and some of the great results we've achieved - putting three past Sevco at Ibrox more than once, beating Celtic at ER, winning a derby in front of a sold our ER. Think of all the managers we've had. Think of some of the players we've disposed of - Palsson, Vaz Te, Eoin Doyle etc. Think of some decent cup runs.

The poor players have been ditched, the backrooom staff has changed and the team on the field has changed.

Lewie has been one constant through good times and bad, and there's a number of very good reasons why no manager would get rid of him.

First Team Regular
    Certain posters say Lewis is an average player That is not the case No player stays at a club of Hibs stature for the length of time he has being average Another point When the fans were protesting behind the West stand after the Hamilton game He was man enough to come out and face them Which was more than any of the others Give the guy break He has earned it

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Nonsense. His best games this season have come against County, Rangers, United and Hearts. All teams that are either Premiership or would finish around mid table if placed in it now. He's been given a massive confidence boost by Stubbs who clearly likes him and while i agree his final ball can be hit or miss, that goes for Gray, Kennedy, Harris etc also. If they could beat a man everytime and deliver a perfect cross they wouldn't be here.
    Think we scored 9 in those 4 games and Stevenson made 4 of them. Not sure who's top for assists for us but he must be there or thereabouts.