hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Malonga

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't rate him. His work rate is a problem for us as a team. There is no doubt he can score goals but it appears his game is all about him not the team
    So you just don't like him rather than don't rate him as you said there is no doubt he can score, he is a striker so that's what he is paid to do

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Criticism of his style is probably a carry over from last season when there were genuine questions to be answered as regards effort and commitment. If he puts the ball away then he is doing as required. If he keeps his shirt, it is because he is doing what the manager has tasked him to achieve. A player that has this type of body language though, will always draw comments from high horse all the way down to serial mumpers. Best just to accept that rather than discuss that rather than the player.

He can be frustrating to watch, funnily enough I can live with his workrate, even though in the game at Ibrox he showed that he can put a shift in if he wants to, what has annoyed me a couple of times is that he has lost the ball in some good positions and when it comes to that I do expect better.

I know he got clattered on Sunday, but the other thing I have noticed is that at about 70 minutes in every game I have seen him in he suddenly appears to acquire some sort of niggling injury which leaves him with a slight limp, is he carrying an injury?

Having said all that ... if he keeps scoring I'll keep feeling the love

@hibs.net private member
    We were crying out for a finisher last season and now we have one. Malonga has a good first touch, is a clever player and is composed in front of goal. He's not quick and he is isn't going to hare about chasing after people. I still think we need somebody else to play alongside him. Cummings is still a raw talent and will be a good player in time but isn't there yet.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    We were crying out for a finisher last season and now we have one. Malonga has a good first touch, is a clever player and is composed in front of goal. He's not quick and he is isn't going to hare about chasing after people. I still think we need somebody else to play alongside him. Cummings is still a raw talent and will be a good player in time but isn't there yet.
    How about Jake Sinclair? What's happening with him? He's supposed to be pacy, is he not?

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I just don't rate him. His work rate is a problem for us as a team. There is no doubt he can score goals but it appears his game is all about him not the team
    So if he carries on scoring at the same rate and ends up with 25 goals this season, that will somehow have been a problem for the team and you still won't like him?

Left by mutual consent!
    "Accept him fot the striker he is." - Alan Stubbs

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Anyone watch the Shrewsbury v Chelsea match last night - I saw some and................I know this might not seem possible, but James Collins looked heavier and less mobile than last season.

Lets remember what we had, and that we have two strikers who know where the net is (one injured) plus a few young guys coming through (who we should nurture, not throw to the lions)

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Anyone watch the Shrewsbury v Chelsea match last night - I saw some and................I know this might not seem possible, but James Collins looked heavier and less mobile than last season.

Lets remember what we had, and that we have two strikers who know where the net is (one injured) plus a few young guys coming through (who we should nurture, not throw to the lions)
    Sorry. I just cant support strikers knowing where the net is. This'll never catch on at Easter Road...

As Meatloaf said, five oot of eight isnae bad. Or something like that.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    "Accept him fot the striker he is." - Alan Stubbs
    I agree with Stubbs on this. Malonga did his job on Sunday as he scored the goal that put us in a winning position.

However, given that we accept he is not going to work as hard as others, then Malonga should have been hooked as the game wound down, allowing somebody with a better work ethic to help us protect the lead.

Malonga did nothing to help in the the run up to their goal, standing with his hips on the byline as Turkish boy drove forward. Someone with a better workrate would have been back in and behind the ball as soon as the keeper got posession.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    So if he carries on scoring at the same rate and ends up with 25 goals this season, that will somehow have been a problem for the team and you still won't like him?
    I'm not a big fan of malonga but if he keeps this scoring record then I'll be delighted.

Haven't made my mind up whether his goalscoring is ability or whether he's just been a bit lucky with some of the goals (right place right time). I know some will say thats a skill and if it continues then I'd agree...just a bit to early to say hes going to be a 25 goal a season man...would be delighted to be proved wrong.

I was giving him the benefit of doubt until I went down to QoS game, for me his performance in that particular game was unnacceptable.

Lazy player with good technical ability who wants the ball to feet,chasing down players will come,will adjust to the frantic style eventually

Testimonial Due
    I think Malonga is the type of panic buy striker we've always wanted at hibs but usually failed with. Kuqi, Konte, Hurtado etc have all been failures but Malonga is banging them in for fun. Long may it continue.
    Love the Malonga conga as well.

I've been a wee bit critical of his work rate. I do think he needs to contribute a bit more.

But then I saw James Collins on the TV last night. He used to burst a gut, ran about all over the place. He managed 6 in a season for us. Malonga has 5 already. Maybe not running channels and stuff like that is allowing him to be where he needs to be.

In Collins we had a striker who ran his nads off but hardly scored any goals. In Malonga we have a player who does the opposite
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    In Collins we had a striker who ran his nads off but hardly scored any goals. In Malonga we have a player who does the opposite
    I watched Collins last night, and he played exactly the same type of game he played at Hibs. He even got in the way of a shot that was going in to deflect it wide.

Goals are the hardest thing to do on a football pitch, give me someone who can put the ball in the net every time, even if he has a lazy style like Malonga.

He's a player who has come from European leagues where the style of play is very different to here. He will take time to adjust, but if he keeps scoring then he's doing what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I watched Collins last night, and he played exactly the same type of game he played at Hibs. He even got in the way of a shot that was going in to deflect it wide.

Goals are the hardest thing to do on a football pitch, give me someone who can put the ball in the net every time, even if he has a lazy style like Malonga.
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    We've not had a decent centre forward like Malonga in years. He may be a bit lacklustre but his quality is very evident.

Take hime out the team and you'll notice the difference he makes.

His hold up play, deft touches and link up play are all excellent. He can also score goals.

In addition to this he loved scroring against the jambos on Sunday.
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Ill rate malonga on the size of his

Goal tally

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    Ill rate malonga on the size of his

Goal tally
    Mashlonga?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen86 View Post
    FFS 5 goals in 8 games...... You probably said the opposite when it came to James Collins. a strikers job is to score and that is the difference between Malonga and our previous/recent incumbents

Keep it up big man!
    No I didnt. Whilst Collins tried he had little ability but his confidence was shot. Malonga scores goals but his lack of work puts us under pressure as it allows teams to bring the ball out from the back, as happen for their equaliser on Sunday

No I didnt. Whilst Collins tried he had little ability but his confidence was shot. Malonga scores goals but his lack of work puts us under pressure as it allows teams to bring the ball out from the back, as happen for their equaliser on Sunday
    Yeah because Collins' great work rate up front really stopped us from conceding goals last season

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Ideally, you want a striker who scores regularly AND runs and runs and runs. But given the choice between an Energiser Bunny type who cannae score for toffee, and a lackadaisical type who turns up at the right time once or twice a game to score a goal, I'd take the latter every time.

You, like me, John, are old enough to remember one Ally Scott who put in no lack of effort for absolutely no benefit whatsoever. He ran as if his feet were each attached to the wrong leg.

And from around the same era, one Ally McLeod whose work-rate was somewhere south of 'must try harder' (more like, 'just gonnae run aboot a wee bit, Ally?') but who scored regularly and indeed remains the perpetrator of several truly memorable goals scored in one of the dreichest and most desperate periods in Hibernian history. One scored against Rangers from a George Best through-ball is my personal favourite.

I rest my case, m'Lud.

Just found this, btw - Ally involved in all three goals that matter. Peach of a cross for the first, lovely through ball to win the pen for the second (that's how to take a penalty!), lovely ball out wide to Ralph C for the third.

I would bet that those were the only three occasions in the entire game that he came close to breaking sweat .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr6qwx6CZlM
    Last edited by --------; 29-10-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post

Just found this, btw - Ally involved in all three goals that matter. Peach of a cross for the first, lovely through ball to win the pen for the second (that's how to take a penalty!), lovely ball out wide to Ralph C for the third.

I would bet that those were the only three occasions in the entire game that he came close to breaking sweat .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr6qwx6CZlM

Remember that game. Nice stuff and beautifully illustrates Ally M's skills.

Always remember he had the habit of not chasing lost causes and people going nuts but he was a good judge of whether he was going to reach the ball or not as he would occasionally show a burst of pace (over 5 yards) to catch a ball going out. Great vision.

Anyway according AS Malonga isn't really match fit and I reckon we'll see more work-rate as the season progresses;

I like him. Good signing giving the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeovil_Hibee View Post
    I'm not a big fan of malonga but if he keeps this scoring record then I'll be delighted.

Haven't made my mind up whether his goalscoring is ability or whether he's just been a bit lucky with some of the goals (right place right time). I know some will say thats a skill and if it continues then I'd agree...just a bit to early to say hes going to be a 25 goal a season man...would be delighted to be proved wrong.

I was giving him the benefit of doubt until I went down to QoS game, for me his performance in that particular game was unnacceptable.
    It is indeed, but the point I was making in my response to the post I was quoting was that if you extrapolate his contribution and goals ratio so far (which Lucky wasn't happy with) over the remainder of the season, it would equate to around 25 goals. The suggestion that that may somehow be to the detriment of the team is inane.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinho08 View Post
    I like him. Good signing giving the circumstances.
    Exactly. Whilst he is clearly different in style to Al Agui, Malonga currently has a better scoring ratio than Farid did when he got injured, and he looked like he'd get a whole load of goals in this division (as he did previously at Falkirk).

Losing Farid was a devastating blow to us - so far we have managed to replace his goals with a free signing outwith the transfer window, which is a great piece of business.

Coaching Staff
    He'll score tonight. Dundee Utd are very vulnerable in central defence and that is ideal for DM and JC. Killie exploited it really well at Rugby Park recently - looked like hoofball but it was tactically good management by Allan Johnston. That's where we should target tonight and it is ideal for the 'diamond' to play through them in the middle - need to be dynamic and press high though.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    He'll score tonight. Dundee Utd are very vulnerable in central defence and that is ideal for DM and JC. Killie exploited it really well at Rugby Park recently - looked like hoofball but it was tactically good management by Allan Johnston. That's where we should target tonight and it is ideal for the 'diamond' to play through them in the middle - need to be dynamic and press high though.