hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Malonga

Malonga

I'm torn here, he can be incredibly frustrating to watch, you just want him to chase more and show more urgency, yet he keeps getting the goals for us.

Must say the pelters he was getting from folks around me (FF lower) was uncalled for, he did get the goal after all. Could maybe have chased a bit more. Not looking to slate him, I'm more interested in what people think!

What's the general consensus on here? Is his style something we're going to have to get used to (provided he keeps scoring), has he still to reach full match fitness, or is he just not bothered?

I feel if that's his style, he'll be a target for the crowd if things don't go well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah_hfc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm torn here, he can be incredibly frustrating to watch, you just want him to chase more and show more urgency, yet he keeps getting the goals for us.

Must say the pelters he was getting from folks around me (FF lower) was uncalled for, he did get the goal after all. Could maybe have chased a bit more. Not looking to slate him, I'm more interested in what people think!

What's the general consensus on here? Is his style something we're going to have to get used to (provided he keeps scoring), has he still to reach full match fitness, or is he just not bothered?

I feel if that's his style, he'll be a target for the crowd if things don't go well.

i think he's a lazy ******* that needs to put in 10X more effort if he wants to keep his place in the team. He could have had a hatrick but didn't put in the effort. Jury's out on him.

First Team Breakthrough
    I just think he's slow and appears lazy. On the ball he's quite good and his touches always show that. If the ball breaks in the box you could expect him to be smashing it in.

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

Two goals in two games is hard to criticise. But he could have 4/5 goals in the last two if he had a better work ethic. His ability is easy to see.

I would say though whenever big Farid is back he'll need to step it up to keep his place, was really impressed with him before his injury.

No doubting his ability. What got to me was that he wasn't really celebrating when he or the team scored. That changed today which was good to see. I get the feeling he is just here to play football and get back to fitness and will be off next year regardless if we go up or not. I think him and farid would be a cracking partnership but we probably won't get the chance to see it. I'm just going to enjoy him while he's here (lazy or not).

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    I think Malonga is technically very good, and he keeps scoring goals for us. He does have a lazy style, but certain players do. As long as they keep delivering we can live with it. Despite that, up front is the only area of the park that I have some doubts. It may come with time, but Im not overly convinced that Malonga and Cummings are working as a partnership (and thats nothing against the players individually).

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    I think Malonga is technically very good, and he keeps scoring goals for us. He does have a lazy style, but certain players do. As long as they keep delivering we can live with it. Despite that, up front is the only area of the park that I have some doubts. It may come with time, but Im not overly convinced that Malonga and Cummings are working as a partnership (and thats nothing against the players individually).
    Agreed, IMO strikers should work together closely and again I just didn't see a togetherness at all.

It was a pity that Handling didn't get forward as well as he did against Livingston as I feel the strikers need that 3rd player to help them.

IMO if Malonga wasn't such a lazy player, he'd be nowhere near Hibs and 2nd tier in Scotland. He showed against Sevco just what a good he can be, so it's up to Stubbs to motivate and get the best out of him.

He'll score 20+ goals for us this season. Despite that, he'll get pelters from many Hibs fans who value honest triers more than lazy talent.

@hibs.net private member hibeesjoe's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: catcabbage
    He comes across as lazy but has also scored a few goals. I think he is the type of player that will miss more than he scores though. He should have challenged the hearts keeper at the beginning of injury time instead of just letting the ball go, he might have took a yellow card for it but we would have ended up winning. I doubt a striker like Griffith's would have wasted the opportunity's we had today.

The jury is out with Malonga. On the other hand, it's now with Osman Sow.

He's utter pish. A dodged bullet.

Smile

quoted "He comes across as lazy but has also scored a few goals. I think he is the type of player that will miss more than he scores though. He should have challenged the hearts keeper at the beginning of injury time instead of just letting the ball go, he might have took a yellow card for it but we would have ended up winning."

Absolutely right in my view as well, and have to say he just seem's so reluctant to put himself into anything that may be a bit risky, sore, tough, and a bit more physicality in that challenge with Alexander or and extra burst would have brought about a completely different result yesterday ! Having said that he looked burst 10 minutes before that and could have been subbed and if we had been 10 yards higher up the park to shut down the centre half's wander forward !! anyhow it's done now :-(

I think Malonga is quality and is still not at 100%, will he ever put himself into that hard/risky place ?? who knows ! He showed yesterday at times that lack of hunger and desire to get into situations, that a lot of our players have shown too often in the past few years and hopefully what the others are starting to give will rub off !!!

Agree will get us goals but oh how many more by giving that bit extra ?????

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    IMO if Malonga wasn't such a lazy player, he'd be nowhere near Hibs and 2nd tier in Scotland. He showed against Sevco just what a good he can be, so it's up to Stubbs to motivate and get the best out of him.

He'll score 20+ goals for us this season. Despite that, he'll get pelters from many Hibs fans who value honest triers more than lazy talent.
    You're probably right, and what a depressing post.

Here's an observation - for this season at least, Malonga is a vital player for us. Why don't we support the player? I'm sure AS will have a good idea about how hard he is working.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He is a lazy looking player, probably suited more to playing abroad rather than the hustle bustle football we get in the 2nd tier of Scottish football.

Jason Cummings put in a power of work yesterday, but scored nil. If Malonga can keep his goal scoring rate up, then we will just have to put up with all these goals.

He clearly has an eye for a goal, if he worked as hard as Cumming or Leigh Griffiths he'd be nowhere near us.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Got talent and can score goals but I agree, very lazy. Even when he's walking every step seems to be an effort. Very strange for a professional footballer who's played at a high level.

Agree with all thats said but if you didnt witness it /haven't seen it go to the bbc website and watch his second against ross county - watch where he picks it up and then youll catch the run across the bottom of the screen to get onto the end of it - doesn't look too lazy there but that just makes it all the more frustrating. Its the way he 'runs' out of the tunnel at the start and at half time though that always gets a laugh from my missus - hibs late out for second half yesterday - malonga out behind all of them for a Sunday stroll!

But....

does he bang them in? James collins anyone? Malonga and el alagui - that could be a prospect...

Coaching Staff
    He's come from a technicallly better league, into a more intense, physical league - that itself means it'll take time to adjust. Saying that he is signed to score goals and he did that immediately. Plenty goals in this lad, he will be infuriating, like Kris Boyd..........but that's why you have busy, industrious players in the side like McGeouch, Allan, Cummings......he'd always be on my team sheet purely because he knows where the net is. It's a really good return since he signed.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Klinnsman used to drift in and out of games. Do doubt another Lazy player...
    when we get as close to perfection (griffiths and Riordan at their peak) at Hibs in recent times it's still not enough.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

The ideal combination is talented hard workers, like a Murphy or a Scott Brown. But those players arent available to Hibs. So on balance, especially when talking about attacking players, id rather have lazy talent than honest plodders. Eventually the lazy guy gets motivated, (the honest huddy never suddenly discovers hidden talent, by contrast) and the result is something like the 18 goal Benji season and the perfect performance in the 2007 5-1 cup final win over Kilmarnock.

An honest plodder huddy will never achieve something like that, despite running about a lot.

And more importantly, the lazy talented guy is more fun to watch.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 27-10-2014 at 07:17 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeesjoe View Post
    He comes across as lazy but has also scored a few goals. I think he is the type of player that will miss more than he scores though. He should have challenged the hearts keeper at the beginning of injury time instead of just letting the ball go, he might have took a yellow card for it but we would have ended up winning. I doubt a striker like Griffith's would have wasted the opportunity's we had today.
    He actually didnt need to challenge the goalie as the ball was there for him to shoot or control. Even knock it behind for a goal kick would have been better than starting the move which ended in the goal

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    **** me,something like five goals in seven games and the jury is out. This place has become a parody of itself. Unreal. Let's go back to players who run about a lot but can't hit a barn door. Mind boggling.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 27-10-2014 at 08:06 AM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    If he keeps scoring he will be forgiven for not chasing down or being a bit braver in the box. The problem is if he stops scoring.

United we stand here....

Has an eye for goal and has very good feet but in this division, we need to be hassling all over the pitch and show more urgency, he doesn't do this and is therefore a passenger a lot of the time, Farid will walk straight back into the team when he's fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    **** me,something like five goals in seven games and the jury is out. This place has become a parody of itself. Unreal. Let's go back to players who run about a lot but can't hit a barn door. Mind boggling.

He's quick between the ears-that's what matters.He has to pace himself because he's not match fit.

FFS this place is never happy.
    The lads scoring nearly every game but the jury's out because he's a lazy bassa. Only at HIBS

This, 100 percent. This board is becoming Facepalm Central

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Agree with the last few posts. If the guy is hitting the net each week, what's the issue? That's his job. If we don't score goals we can't win games. You could have 11 grafters out there and never score a goal. It stick a "lazy" player in there who hits the net? I know what my choice would be

Give the guy a break. ...hes almost been a like for like replacement for farid....im sure hes equalled farids tally already....i couldn't give a **** if he kipped on a hammock in the centre circle as long as he keeps scoring

Good to see most folk are behind him, as I said, he got absolute pelters yesterday from where I was sat so I was interested to see if these followed the views of the majority.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I can understand some people's concerns about him, there are definitely times where it seems he gives opposition CHs too easy a time in possession, and looks like he could put more of a shift in.

However, last season we had a centre forward in James Collins who worked his socks off and ran himself into the ground every week, but managed only a pitiful 6 goals in 31 starts - Malonga has 5 goals in 7 starts (and it really should be 6 in 7 as the penalty did look in).

I know who I'd rather have.

Collins also played in one of the worst teams ever to disgrace Easter Road and was managed by slavering Butcher, give Collins the service Malonga got yesterday and he'd be near enough in double fugures by now.