hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough

Some great Cummings derby quotes

This is a derby. Lets follow jasons lead and turn up in good voice to watch him open the can of beans in front of the south stand. You know it's going to happen.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...zing-1-3584052

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Can't help but like the lad. Reminds me of that cheeky pal you had at school

First Team Breakthrough
    [QUOTE=macd123;4207494]This is a derby. Lets follow jasons lead and turn up in good voice to watch him open the can of beans in front of the south stand. You know it's going to happen.

Edinburgh derby has Jason Cummings ‘buzzing’

by PAUL FORSYTH

Published on the 26 October 2014

THE Hibs dressing-room, like many in football, uses music to get the juices flowing. Depending on whose ipod is in the dock, it could be 50 Cent or it could be Swedish House Mafia, but it is usually a dance anthem. Jason Cummings knows what he would pick were he given the choice at Easter Road this lunchtime. “Me? Before a derby? Well, you’ve got to have a bit of trance and that. DJs and that. To get you, get you, get you going.”
    Either Cummings is struggling to get his, get his, get his words out or this is him – cans on, hand at the turntable – pulling off a pretty neat verbal trick. My money’s on the latter. In a game too often stifled by cliché, Cummings has his own, instinctive vocabulary, the street language of a local lad who knows he is a lucky so-and-so, playing professionally and loving every minute of it.

There are shades of boxer Charlie Flynn about the 19-year-old striker who will lead the line against Hearts this afternoon. He is proud of how far he has come. He is always on the front foot, always “buzzing, man”. But most of all, he is endearingly – some would say naively – willing to share it all with anyone who will listen. Hence, the tales already of his “Sexy Beast” boxer shorts and his “Zing” tattoo (Cummings, you quickly discover, doesn’t score goals, he “zings” them).
    “Aye, I’ve got a zing there on my left foot,” he says, reaching down to pull up his sock. “I got it two years ago when I was in Ayia Napa with the boys. I just woke up with it. I couldn’t remember [what happened] the night before. It was our first night, and I had had a few tinnies. I woke up and I was like ‘how did I get that?’ ”
    Not everyone appreciates his patter. For some, the charm is cheek, the confidence cocky. After he scored twice in the 3-1 victory at Ibrox last month, he said he had the “touch of an angel”, and that one of his goals could have opened a tin of beans. While Leigh Griffiths responded by referring to him on Twitter as Billy Big Time, there were no complaints from the Hibs fan who was later photographed asking Cummings to sign a can of Heinz.
    This, for Cummings, is what it’s all about. He used to play for Hearts, the club he supported as a boy, but two years ago, after his long and painful comeback from a cruciate ligament injury, they let him go. Now, he wants to make the most of his second chance, and if that means savouring every moment in his own inimitable style, so be it.
    Cummings, who made his Hibs debut against Inverness Caledonian Thistle less than a year ago, is out to prove that dedication need not be a joyless commitment. “Obviously, when it comes to playing, you get the job done. It’s serious. But other than that, man, you have to let your hair down and have a laugh. That’s what it’s all about.
    “You can’t please everyone. Everyone’s got different opinions. They say ‘that guy’s just mucking about. He doesn’t care about Hibs. He doesn’t care about winning games. He’s only bothered about having a laugh’. But it’s not about that. I take it seriously when I play. I wouldn’t be this far in the game if I was just mucking about. I would be in Saughton Park on drugs or something.”
    Cummings cares about his football. He takes defeat badly, which is a shame, for there were too many of them last season, when Hibs plunged to the bottom of Scotland’s top flight and through its trap door. It was no fun for him and, by the sound of it, no fun for his mother, who still cooks and cleans and chases after him in their Gorgie home.
    “When you win, it’s brilliant. You go home buzzing. Probably go out and have a few tinnies. Enjoy yourself. If you lose, man, it’s a nightmare. You go home and you just can’t sleep. You struggle to eat as well. You don’t like talking with your family. I normally just go to my room, turn off my phone and watch TV on my own. I think about what I could have done better.”
    A regular at Tynecastle when he was growing up, Cummings may find that, of all the Hibs players trying to impress their long-suffering support, he has the least room for error. He remembers being taken to derbies by his father, David, with his older brothers, Ross and Dean, all of them Jambos. When he joined Hearts in 2007, everything seemed right with the world.
    All of which is brought up before every derby, and will be for as long as he plays in them. He points out that the other half of his family are Hibees, but nobody wants to know that. His wee cousin, Joe, sits behind the goals at Easter Road every home game. As for his relationship with Hearts: it has never been the same since they showed him the door.
    At 16, just when he needed their support most, he was flung on the scrapheap, at which point he became a gardener, flunked an interview with Primark, and fared no better in trials for Celtic, Dunfermline Athletic and Huddersfield Town. Only after a season of prolific goalscoring for Hutchison Vale Boys Club were Hibs persuaded to make him an offer.
    His determination to repay their faith in him is driven also by a desire to prove Hearts wrong. He played for them and supported them, but it hasn’t stopped others crossing the divide, and it won’t stop Cummings, whose view of the Tynecastle club appears to be tainted by lingering bitterness.
    “Obviously, I can’t change the way I was brought up, but I’ve left the dark side now haven’t I? I saw the light. If you look at John Robertson, he was round about Hibs when he was younger, and he turned into a Hearts legend. I just can’t wait to score against Hearts. It’s been one of my dreams ever since I got the phone call saying that they didn’t want me to play there. Ever since that phone call, I’ve always said, ‘I can’t wait to get a bit of revenge’. Every week, I want to score. It doesn’t matter who I play, but it would be extra sweet to score against Hearts. Scoring in a derby… it’s one of the things I want to tick off in football.”
    You wouldn’t bet against it. The Scottish Championship’s Young Player of the Month for September has scored four in his last eight matches. With Farid El Alagui injured, Cummings – aka “Mr Zing King” – has emerged favourably from a three-way battle with Dominique Malonga and Paul Heffernan for a regular berth in Alan Stubbs’ side.
    Already in his short career, he has started two derbies, one a victory, the other a defeat. Since the 2-1 loss at Tynecastle in August, when he was an unused substitute, Cummings has been waiting for the next one, like the rest of a city that beats to the rhythm of its football rivalry.
    “With me living in Gorgie, you can really feel it. On Twitter and all that, everyone’s up for it. You can just feel it coming. It’s like Christmas.”
    He’s not exaggerating. Ask Cummings to describe what it feels like on the morning of a derby, and he rises from his chair, as though from his bed, rubbing his hands in anticipation.
    He says he sings louder in the shower. He laps up the chat on social media. Even the journey to work, winding his way through the crowds, sets the pulse racing.
    “Driving up to the stadium, everyone’s just walking on the roads, singing and downing their pints.
    “A few of my mates, they’ll be doing the same at this one. It’s always a good excuse to have a day out with the boys. It takes over Edinburgh.”
    The game itself is like no other, at least in the capital. Cummings says the fans are louder, the tackles harder and the emotions stronger. It’s a bit crazy, like the lad who wants to write his name all over it.
    Bring it on, man.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't help but like the lad. Reminds me of that cheeky pal you had at school
    Yup just love his attitude. That's what we need for the derby.

He could be our "Robbo", rejected by his boyhood team, now it's payback

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    He could be our "Robbo", rejected by his boyhood team, now it's payback
    I've said from day one he reminds me of Robertson, hope I'm still saying that after the game!!

Seems he has the right attitude to match his undoubted ability. Boy could go very far, would never have thought that playing against him when he was at Hutchie

Every interview I read that has just the usual clichéd nonsense, I think, the game doesn't have enough characters. But reading that I was just hoping for the usual platitudes, he doesn't half talk some nonsense man.

@hibs.net private member
    Good interview but not keen on his drinking

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Kinda like the guy, but there's a danger he's remembered more for what he says off the park, than what he does on it.
    hes done ok, and he seems a cheeky chappie......but he just seems to have a lot to say.....
    He needs to gain credibility on the park, before he gets it off it.
    (Que dogs abuse, so I'll temper this with I hope he bags a hatrick today)
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Love the guy. Hope I love him even more after today.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

I love the guy. That scratching!

Love him - he's our Robbo. They're seriously worried about him. My Yam in the local thinks he'll cause problems for Wilson and Ozturk on the turn. I played it cool about the derby giving it the happy with a draw crap and it all started flowing - Alexander spilling shots and struggling to hold on to the ball last week, Dumbarton on top for big chunks of the game. We'll do them - they're not all that,

First Team Breakthrough
    our players like p1sh music.

He's, like, well up for it, man.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Just hope he screws the nut and doesn't react to the wind ups which will come his way.

'I've left the dark side now, haven't I? I've seen the light.' He knows.

Would love him to kiss the badge in front of that mob if he scores today.

Imagine the seethe.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    A player that has dreams and ambition and is ticking them off as he achieves. He's not afraid to talk about his aims. I wish we had more of that. May ruffle a few feathers along the way but good on him I say. Not bad for a 20? Yrs old
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

The second coming of JC..

Hearts angel of death…

Get wired in son!!

Could be a really good player, stay off the tinnies mate and enjoy yir fitba

Quote Originally Posted by Antwerphibs View Post
    Every interview I read that has just the usual clichéd nonsense, I think, the game doesn't have enough characters. But reading that I was just hoping for the usual platitudes, he doesn't half talk some nonsense man.
    He needs to bang in goals against them regularly before coming out with some of this sort of stuff. Seen Handling saying similar things in the Daily Rangers yesterday.

Time to shut the **** up and do the talking on the pitch first then come out and gloat afterwards. Fed up listening to this sort of ***** before a game. Just do your ****ing job please and bang a couple in the onion bag.

GGTTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    He needs to bang in goals against them regularly before coming out with some of this sort of stuff. Seen Handling saying similar things in the Daily Rangers yesterday.

Time to shut the **** up and do the talking on the pitch first then come out and gloat afterwards. Fed up listening to this sort of ***** before a game. Just do your ****ing job please and bang a couple in the onion bag.

GGTTH.
    Kinda know what you mean ,it's nice to see players with confidence ,but if they don't back it up on the park and beat this lot ,Then It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Like the lad but imo he's nowhere near ready for starting every week. So much to learn, not least to pass the ball ! Hope he proves me wrong today :-)

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    'I've left the dark side now, haven't I? I've seen the light.' He knows.

Would love him to kiss the badge in front of that mob if he scores today.

Imagine the seethe.
    It could send some of the gimps over the top.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    It could send some of the gimps over the top.
    Would be glorious. Make it so Jason.

@hibs.net private member
    "I just can't wait to score against Hearts. Its been one of my dreams ever since i got the phone call saying they didn't want me to play there."

Superb. We have a raw talented striker who really gives a **** about these games: the same ingredients that gave us the likes of Griffiths, Riordan etc.

Stick it right up them Jason.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Love the guy but I am in the deeds not words camp - lets do our talking afterwards. Talk has rarely translated to anything on the park in recent years - Butcher could talk for England.........................and still is.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Testimonial Due
    He's only 19! Let him have his fun and express himself and the 'deeds' will come.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineOnLeith View Post
    He's only 19! Let him have his fun and express himself and the 'deeds' will come.
    Nae issue with that, its the club that seems to be putting great store in "communications" and their effect.

Because of the recent gulf between our pre match chat and actual achievements post match I have found myself having to cringe too often afterwards. Hopefully Jason will help us rectify that today.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby