hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

David Farrell's view on the Edinburgh derby

David Farrell had a weekly blog, always a good insight into the game. Here are his views on the derby...

http://davidfarrellfaz.wordpress.com...war-and-peace/

Apologies, I can't post the link.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can't argue with any of that. Thanks for sharing

@hibs.net private member
    Great article, says what we have said for years.

Get in about them!

Superb read, refreshing and says everything about our record in the derby.

Ah the gold old "Hibs way"

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    So so so sadly true

@hibs.net private member
    Excellent blog and shows the from inside the difference between not the 2 clubs and how they treat the Derby

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Bollox. He says himself why we never won too many derbies. We carried too much *****. He is one of dozens who are culpable for our record.

Nine attempts he admits to. And nowt. Interesting that he adds Brian Hamilton to the list of quality we had. By virtue of his LC winners medal, Hamilton edges the quality barometer over David Farrell, a name often overlooked in crap Hibs player threads. He might sound like a Hibby. But so am I and I never got past the Maybury leagues.

This is a component part of our early 90s 'engine room' who asked to keep the match ball because he managed to score a goal once. Even Alex Miller had the positivity to tell him to **** off.

When the quality (and graft) of the likes of Wee Jimmy, Paddy, Arthur, big Dode, Russell, Franck or Mixu write a Derby blog I might start to pay attention.

Left by mutual consent!
    We don't go to war proverbially speaking in the stands either as Sunday's attendance will show.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't go to war proverbially speaking in the stands either as Sunday's attendance will show.
    Whats your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Bollox. He says himself why we never won too many derbies. We carried too much *****. He is one of dozens who are culpable for our record.

Nine attempts he admits to. And nowt. Interesting that he adds Brian Hamilton to the list of quality we had. By virtue of his LC winners medal, Hamilton edges the quality barometer over David Farrell, a name often overlooked in crap Hibs player threads. He might sound like a Hibby. But so am I and I never got past the Maybury leagues.

This is a component part of our early 90s 'engine room' who asked to keep the match ball because he managed to score a goal once. Even Alex Miller had the positivity to tell him to **** off.

When the quality (and graft) of the likes of Wee Jimmy, Paddy, Arthur, big Dode, Russell, Franck or Mixu write a Derby blog I might start to pay attention.
    I understand what your saying.

Hearts have also had some rotten teams that beat us though

used to see davie in the bookies a fair bit, his tips were rotten though

Nailed it.

@hibs.net private member

what a nonsense post...Farrell describes himself as an average player...which he was, but to suggest he was "crap" is completely disrespectful to someone who went on to have a decent Scottish career...not a world beater, but frankly was a great pro throughout most of his career. He has also done some good work coaching at youth level..

He is also an insightful and interesting blogger on football...keep it up Davie boy, more interesting that most...

Somebody needs to give this to Stubbs and all the players, who should then implant it in their psyches

"But they better be ready for a war of monumental proportions. Because I know Hearts will."

He's spot on. We're soft. Have been for years.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    what a nonsense post...Farrell describes himself as an average player...which he was, but to suggest he was "crap" is completely disrespectful to someone who went on to have a decent Scottish career...not a world beater, but frankly was a great pro throughout most of his career. He has also done some good work coaching at youth level..

He is also an insightful and interesting blogger on football...keep it up Davie boy, more interesting that most...
    Nonsense yerself. He was crap.
    Says so himself. And he wasn't alone. I witnessed it. I wish he had been as 'insightful' on the pitch. And he's waited 20 years to explain to us why we were crap. Such insight. Spare me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Whats your point?
    Point is the punters are not up for the battle either.

@hibs.net private member
    Says so himself. And he wasn't alone. I witnessed it. I wish he had been as 'insightful' on the pitch. And he's waited 20 years to explain to us why we were crap. Such insight. Spare me.
    yes, 250 professional games......bet you never even played that in the maybury league....

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Personally, I find his insight far more interesting than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by TowerHibs View Post
    I understand what your saying.

Hearts have also had some rotten teams that beat us though
    No argument.. Are they blogging about how rotten they were though? Or how being rotten was better than our rotten?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    yes, 250 professional games......bet you never even played that in the maybury league....
    20 years son!

Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    Point is the punters are not up for the battle either.
    If you mean over the last 30 years then I totally disagree. If you refer only to attendance this weekend then fine, but Hibs are about at their lowest ebb in for ever, and Hearts are as optimistic as they have been in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Personally, I find his insight far more interesting than yours.
    Fair enough.We all have different interests. Hardly personal though if you choose to post it on the worldwideweb as you have. However. Do you think David Farrell was that good a player for us that his insight counts for much?
    Will we seek the wit and wisdom of Roy Donovan in 20 years or so?

Blog Entries
    Good comments IMO. Almost unrelated but takes me back to my first visit to Kazakhstan 20 years ago. I walked into the camp bar & amid a gallery of American Football shirts was Davie's ( signed ) League Cup Final strip. It was the only "soccer" shirt displayed - surreal! I know, from his mate Alex Rae, that Davie has real affection for Hibs & I don't really understand folks knocking his blog.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Fair enough.We all have different interests. Hardly personal though if you choose to post it on the worldwideweb as you have. However. Do you think David Farrell was that good a player for us that his insight counts for much?
    To compare Davy Farrell and his 7 years service to Roy Donovan is a joke surely. Not the best player of his generation that's for sure but a decent pro who gave his all every time I watched him, which can't be far off every game he played for us.

Very interesting read IMO which pretty much sums up my view of The Derby over the last 3/4 decades bar a few seasons.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Firstly, I don't think that he needs to be considered a good player for his opinion to be valid. As others have pointed out, the fact that he played 250 games in his career and has been an assistant manager and first team coach since his retirement, may suggest that his views on a club that he was part of for 8 years should be worthy of some respect.

Secondly, I remember Farrell as a no nonsense midfield hard man, who always gave 100% and played a bit part in Miller's better teams - in fact, he was the type of player that people on here often claim we need now. I was in my mid teens when he started to play more regularly for us, but myself and the older folk around me in the East appreciated DF for what he was.

Chatting to a Hearts youth coach a few weeks ago (good hibby too) and despite the fact that he coaches a young side who don't play in a competitive league, he was told right from his first day that they don't lose to Hibs. Drilling the mindset into the youngsters from day one that they don't lose to Hibs. That's all the way through the club. Gives you a decent insight to how they treat derbies.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    IIRC He scored a screamer at Easter rd in a 5-1 win.

Decent read and sadly so true, Hearts want it more than Hibs and have done for as long as i can remember.

We've all been saying it for years. I wonder if the club actually know this? Too soft.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    enjoyed that

true what he said about the "mental" issue and how we have treated it as "just another game" i'm looking forward to sunday but our home record hasn't exactly been amazing, from sunday onwards i'm hoping that will change