hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, the £25 ST for youngsters is an excellent initiative that reflects well on the club. That's the kind of thinking we need when it comes to ticket prices. Football is so expensive now.
    £5 for a child at the Dundee Utd match if you book now isn't bad. (£10 on the day)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Sold out away end and crowd around the 13.5k mark .

First Team Breakthrough Mathias Jack's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GazA1875
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    I expect they'll sell out their allocation and we'll have a very poor 10k or so.

So my guess is 14,000
    The tramps have indeed sold out their allocation...

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    When we had over 20k in January it was £28. Irrespective of it being in the championship the standard of the game this weekend will be the same, arguably better than that day. People wanted to go then, and £28 wasn't an issue, because we were doing well at the time and Hearts were mince.

The possibility that it could have been the very last New Year Derby was an added incentive to a lot of people.

If that were the case this weekend, I bet the Attendance would be much bigger

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Jack View Post
    Is anyone surprised by this? They are riding the crest of a wave on a good unbeaten run, and are hoping to hammer us at hope (1-5 no doubt).

I just hope that we can put an end to this and be the ones going home smiling

GGTTH

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xoROOSKYox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    Your ticket for Sunderland is massively subsidised by Sky. Hibs do not have that luxury.
    Fair point,but it is still down to supply and demand isn't it? The club should set a price that people think is fair and reasonable. £28 does seem a bit much for this level of football and the attendance will suffer as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Jack View Post
    There would be something far wrong if they didn't sell all their allocation.

If the two teams league positions were reversed, how many tickets would Hibs sell?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    When we had over 20k in January it was £28. Irrespective of it being in the championship the standard of the game this weekend will be the same, arguably better than that day. People wanted to go then, and £28 wasn't an issue, because we were doing well at the time and Hearts were mince.

If we had won 9 out of our first 10 and were 14 points in front of then the game would be pretty much sold out already
    . I'm not saying the price isn't too high but it's not the reason there will be thousands of empty seats this week.
    Quite possibly, but that doesn't address the issue of pricing in football and its increasing unaffordability to many fans. There's an issue beyond market forces here.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Quite possibly, but that doesn't address the issue of pricing in football and its increasing unaffordability to many fans. There's an issue beyond market forces here.
    I don't deny it's overpriced. But, say in this instance it was £6 or £7 cheaper, I still don't think that would make a massive difference to what the attendance. I was just looking at this game on it's own.

We all know that football is overpriced. I don't think it's likely to change. If we were doing really well people would make sacrifices to go. When things have been as they have been over the last few years, they won't.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 23-10-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineOnLeith View Post
    No.
    That's that then...

I don't deny it's overpriced. But, say in this instance it was £6 or £7 cheaper, I still don't think that would make a massive difference to what the attendance. I was just looking at this game on it's own.

We all know that football is overpriced. I don't think it's likely to change. If we were doing really well people would make sacrifices to go. When things have be as they have been over the last few years, they won't.

People certainly do make sacrifices to watch their team, but there comes a point when the sacrifice becomes impossible due to paying bills and putting food on the table. British football has priced a whole section of fans out the game, which was in part a deliberate strategy to tackle the hooligan problem. Market forces is now the sole driver - charge as much as you can - though I prefer the German model of cheap tickets to include all sections of the community in the support. They could charge more but see football as more than a business, which it certainly is. Fans don't shop around with football teams.

Scottish football is overpriced but if we were the ones sitting nine points clear at the top of the league right now, having not lost a single league game then the home allocation would have sold out weeks ago.

Ticket prices don't matter for big games when a team is doing well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by E/Port_Hibee View Post
    Fair point,but it is still down to supply and demand isn't it? The club should set a price that people think is fair and reasonable. £28 does seem a bit much for this level of football and the attendance will suffer as a result.
    You need to put the Sunderland ticket price ito context though - the club makes 4 times as much from TV revenue than it does through the gate. Without the TV money the ticket price would have to be £140. No danger is the quality on show at a Sunderland game worth 5 times as much as a game at Easter Road.

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    You need to put the Sunderland ticket price ito context though - the club makes 4 times as much from TV revenue than it does through the gate. Without the TV money the ticket price would have to be £140. No danger is the quality on show at a Sunderland game worth 5 times as much as a game at Easter Road.
    Crazy money isn't it? And to think that 20 odd years ago we were paying less than a fiver to see a game and I preferred the football back then. But maybe I'm just a miserable old tight wad!?!? ;):)

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    To be using ticket prices as an excuse for not supporting your team in a derby is almost laughable. As some folk have alluded to, these people would have no problem stumping up the cash if the boot was on the other foot.

Quite simply we are getting down towards our core support these days, where are all the fans from new years derby? Cup finals? At times our support can be pathetic

Obviously won't be anything like what we got last season when we had the biggest home derby attendance for years but I am sure those who go will make a decent noise.

Strangely looking forward to it - going in as underdogs - yams have everything to lose. Like any derby I don't care how well we play - as long as we just win!
    Last edited by GreenCastle; 24-10-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    just you Tapir off then.
    What does that mean?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    To be using ticket prices as an excuse for not supporting your team in a derby is almost laughable. As some folk have alluded to, these people would have no problem stumping up the cash if the boot was on the other foot.

Quite simply we are getting down towards our core support these days, where are all the fans from new years derby? Cup finals? At times our support can be pathetic
    I don't think it is laughable. You may be financially sound but many people aren't that would love to be able to go to the game but just can't afford or justify the £28 entrance fee.

The excuse that annoys me is when folk won't go to tynie saying I won't give them the money. You're paying to see Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I don't think it is laughable. You may be financially sound but many people aren't that would love to be able to go to the game but just can't afford or justify the £28 entrance fee.

The excuse that annoys me is when folk won't go to tynie saying I won't give them the money. You're paying to see Hibs.
    So say it was more reasonably priced at 20 quid, you are telling me that the folk who are all using ticket prices as an excuse cannot afford an extra 8 quid? I can accept that there may be a very very small proportion who that can be genuinely said. The others are using it as a pretty rubbish excuse. Its a derby at Easter Rd, pretty normal ticket prices for derby matches. As i said before if it were Hibs flying high and looking like handing Hearts a doing then itd be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post

And by the way im far from being financially sound

The prices for Scottish Football are a joke and the sooner it's changed the better.

It softens the blow if you win or your team is doing well but for most teams this doesn't apply and I can fully understand why many are being priced out of the game and don't attend anymore throughout Scotland and England.

Think it's unfair to have a go at anyone who has more important areas to spend their money.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDevil View Post
    The prices for Scottish Football are a joke and the sooner it's changed the better.

It softens the blow if you win or your team is doing well but for most teams this doesn't apply and I can fully understand why many are being priced out of the game and don't attend anymore throughout Scotland and England.

Think it's unfair to have a go at anyone who has more important areas to spend their money.
    Whilst I agree Scottish football is overpriced, clubs are in a difficult position. We get poor money from sky and bt in comparison to England. Therefore if ticket prices are reduced, less money comes in and less money for wages. Generally resulting in poorer players.

When tickets are cheaper, the increase in attendance does not bring in as much as fewer people at the higher price. Motherwell tried this and it failed badly.

i get that some people cannot afford this price, but I do also think there are a fair number of people on here using it as an excuse when they wouldn't buy a ticket whatever the price.

final point from me. I am a season ticket holder, however I wouldn't have an issue if the club decided to reduce walk up prices for the rest of the season. It would mean I have lost out on the value of my season ticket, but I would prefer more people coming along to the normal games than we are currently getting. However they won't do that for the financial reasons above

@hibs.net private member
    Looking at ticket availability they'll be plenty empty spaces in our 3 stands on Sunday. Should the result go against us on Sunday I hope our stay away fans don't criticise our players for lacking the bottle to face up to 'them' when quite clearly a large proportion of our fans are in the same boat.

As for staying away because of the ticket price, have they been to any games this season?, paid £22 to see the likes Dumbarton etc? Surely if money was that tight you'd give up a couple of games against a diddy teams to go along to support the team against our rivals!

With the odd exception I bet ticket price is just an excuse, why won't people just admit that they can't be arsed, prefer to watch it on tv, scared they'll witness another humping!

So say it was more reasonably priced at 20 quid, you are telling me that the folk who are all using ticket prices as an excuse cannot afford an extra 8 quid? I can accept that there may be a very very small proportion who that can be genuinely said. The others are using it as a pretty rubbish excuse. Its a derby at Easter Rd, pretty normal ticket prices for derby matches. As i said before if it were Hibs flying high and looking like handing Hearts a doing then itd be a different story.

People have to make choices, particularly in these harsh economic times, LD. You say the extra £8 shouldn't make a difference, but in the context of £28 for the adult walk up, plus £14 for the child walk up, that's £84 for a family of four, for example, before programmes etc. There are thousands of families for whom that is impossible. It isn't an excuse for many, it's the reality of the cost of going to one match, and is by no means limited to a 'very small proportion'. Fans on low incomes or on welfare can forget it; there are more important things.

I will be watching on tv unless anyone fancies paying my petrol costs :-)
    Cougars!!!

It's not really about suddenly being dragged into poverty because of an additional £8, it's just that some people look at that price and think, generally, £28 to watch the current Hibs team in the current environment of Scottish football is pretty outrageous. I have no problem with people saying that they are just not willing to pay that. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Having said that, to me this is all part of a wider issue in football and even society in the way working class people have been disenfranchised and priced out of football. It frustrates me that ordinary people (eg fans) are set against each other in arguments such as this rather than the focus being on the people that allow such a system to exist in the first place. Maybe one for another time...

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    It's not really about suddenly being dragged into poverty because of an additional £8, it's just that some people look at that price and think, generally, £28 to watch the current Hibs team in the current environment of Scottish football is pretty outrageous. I have no problem with people saying that they are just not willing to pay that. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Having said that, to me this is all part of a wider issue in football and even society in the way working class people have been disenfranchised and priced out of football. It frustrates me that ordinary people (eg fans) are set against each other in arguments such as this rather than the focus being on the people that allow such a system to exist in the first place. Maybe one for another time...
    A good post, Pat. I share your feelings on the matter.

@hibs.net private member
    Football is way over priced in Scotland. We need to stop trying to compete with England. Our clubs need to cut their cloth accordingly. We need radical changes. I would switch to summer football, it might generate a better TV deal, reduce ticket prices as well as tackling the ridiculously high catering prices. Bring back alcohol allow fans to enjoy the occasion. If games are to be on TV price them accordingly. A full stadium makes a better atmosphere and generally better TV viewing. Whilst £28 for the derby on Sunday is a joke I actuall think that £22 for games against part time sides is a bigger farce.

Anyway regardless of how many fans turn up I hope to god that our team does.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Football is way over priced in Scotland. We need to stop trying to compete with England. Our clubs need to cut their cloth accordingly. We need radical changes. I would switch to summer football, it might generate a better TV deal, reduce ticket prices as well as tackling the ridiculously high catering prices. Bring back alcohol allow fans to enjoy the occasion. If games are to be on TV price them accordingly. A full stadium makes a better atmosphere and generally better TV viewing. Whilst £28 for the derby on Sunday is a joke I actuall think that £22 for games against part time sides is a bigger farce.

Anyway regardless of how many fans turn up I hope to god that our team does.
    Excellent post Lucky.

My only concern with summer football is how are we going to cope in the latter stages of the Champions league in the off season ?