hibs.net Messageboard

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Scottish football pyramid expands this season

Just noticed that the winners of the Highland and Lowland leagues enter a playoff with the bottom team in League Two this season, effectively expanding the leagues to five levels.

Good to see things heading in the right direction.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just noticed that the winners of the Highland and Lowland leagues enter a playoff with the bottom team in League Two this season, effectively expanding the leagues to five levels.

Good to see things heading in the right direction.
    The winner plays the bottom team from D3 in another play off. But yes, it is definitely progress.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Glad to see this finally happen!
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by bob12345 View Post
    The winner plays the bottom team from D3 in another play off. But yes, it is definitely progress.
    What would happen if the winner of the highland/lowland playoff was the Highland team and the team that gets relegated from D3 is a southern scottish team, would Clyde (for example) get made to play in the Highland league, if they lost out in the final play-off to Buckie Thistle?

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    What would happen if the winner of the highland/lowland playoff was the Highland team and the team that gets relegated from D3 is a southern scottish team, would Clyde (for example) get made to play in the Highland league, if they lost out in the final play-off to Buckie Thistle?
    Presume those leagues are flexible to change their numbers to accommodate. The Lowland league is certainly adding teams every year anyway. Someone midway between like Montrose would he hit hard.

The pyramid is definitely a good idea in principle, but I wonder if the structure as it stands makes it a good idea. Let's say Brora win the play offs. They'll have massive trips to every away game. Is there enough prize money in Division 3, or whatever it's called, to make this worth their while?

it'll never happen, but I think we'd be best with just two "top" divisions, with a third tier comprising maybe four regional groups, with play offs up from there to "Division 2". As I say, I know it'll never happen.......

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    The pyramid is definitely a good idea in principle, but I wonder if the structure as it stands makes it a good idea. Let's say Brora win the play offs. They'll have massive trips to every away game. Is there enough prize money in Division 3, or whatever it's called, to make this worth their while?

it'll never happen, but I think we'd be best with just two "top" divisions, with a third tier comprising maybe four regional groups, with play offs up from there to "Division 2". As I say, I know it'll never happen.......
    That would make a lot of sense. As would the pyramid going right down to Saturday amateurs. It's what happens in Italy, England and plenty of other countries.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero

I've said similar before. I read a while back that if Brora do win promotion they may not accept it due to the travelling involved. It's a shame as the pyramid is a great principle.

I didn't realise this had happened.

I would say this is certainly a positive move.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wont happen as, for some reason that escapes me, Scottish teams have to play each other four times a year.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Two top leagues of 16 and a regional pyramid system below that. Play each other home and away. 30 league games and revamp the league cup into a regional almost ore season competition with knockout stages once the season is underway proper.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post
    Wont happen as, for some reason that escapes me, Scottish teams have to play each other four times a year.
    I'm suddenly reminded of this..

Quote Originally Posted by bob12345 View Post
    Presume those leagues are flexible to change their numbers to accommodate. The Lowland league is certainly adding teams every year anyway. Someone midway between like Montrose would he hit hard.
    I suspect that teams may have to move between the Highland and Lowland Leagues.

That's what they used to do in England when the Third Division was regionalised.

If say two Southern teams were relegated from Division Two, then a Midland team would move from Division Three South to Division Three North.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Not perfect but finally Scotland has made a step in the right direction...the fact that a team could stay in the professional league even if they were totally rank year after year after year was just plain stupid.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    Not perfect but finally Scotland has made a step in the right direction...the fact that a team could stay in the professional league even if they were totally rank year after year after year was just plain stupid.
    Always seemed totally pointless to have such a closed shop.

First Team Breakthrough
    Can teams get promoted to the lowland league and highland league?

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Quote Originally Posted by Dare to Stanton View Post
    Can teams get promoted to the lowland league and highland league?

There has been discussion about teams from the East and South of Scotland leagues gaining promotion through a playoff between the winners of each league, but I don't know if anything has been decided. For the Highland league, I'm not sure if there are any senior leagues beneath it.