hibs.net Messageboard

Page 169 of 229 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,070 of 6859

Thread: Best tv

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What’s with the one episode a week thing? Does my head in when streaming services do that.
    You can get a free week trial with Disney plus - if they have all episodes available how would they make any money?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    You can get a free week trial with Disney plus - if they have all episodes available how would they make any money?
    In the same way Netflix and Amazon do?

Almost all of their seasons are released in one go…binge watching seasons is what streaming services are for in my book.

And if you can watch a whole services content in one week then they are not gonna be worth a subscription!

@hibs.net private member

Almost all of their seasons are released in one go…binge watching seasons is what streaming services are for in my book.

And if you can watch a whole services content in one week then they are not gonna be worth a subscription!
    Netflix and Prime give you a longer trial period and are more established and have a bigger selection of programmes. Prime also have a lot of subscribers who bought the product for faster delivery and ended up with a different tv package.

I think Disney (and Apple) are trying to entice subscribers on after being late to a fairly congested market.

Basically different business models I think - all trying to catch up with Netflix.

‘Billions’ is quite guid. 2 episodes in.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    the 4th and last season of Ozark returns on 21st January on Netflix

14 episodes divided between two halves

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Netflix and Prime give you a longer trial period and are more established and have a bigger selection of programmes. Prime also have a lot of subscribers who bought the product for faster delivery and ended up with a different tv package.

I think Disney (and Apple) are trying to entice subscribers on after being late to a fairly congested market.

Basically different business models I think - all trying to catch up with Netflix.
    Just thinking - Netflix also do the one week at a time thing with some programmes (Better Call Saul).

Very much enjoying BBCs The Tourist. Very very obvious stylistic debt to Fargo throughout.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Getting wired into the Handmaids Tale finally. Into the second episode of the second series. Not quite sure what to think of it really.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I just watched a couple of Scandi thrillers on I-Player: Blinded: Those Who Kill (Danish) and The Hunt For A Killer (Swedish). I really enjoyed them, particularly the Swedish series.
    I really enjoyed the Scandi stuff. They do become a bit predictable though as they all seem to follow a similar system.

My laddie loves breaking bad and has now got me hooked on better call Saul. Watched three episodes and it's fabby. As many have said thank folk for Netflix. Council TV is absolutely garbage bar a few honourable exceptions. Maybe I'm looking at the TV in my youth with Rose tinted specs but stuff like hill street blues,nypd,cheers and boys from the Blackstuff were great TV. Hill Street blues and bones probably my two fav American TV in my lifetime.

Certain shows benefit from the one per week approach. Disney obviously find they get more engagement in the media with that model. If you look at the end of season 2 of the Mandalorian, the slower build paid off amazingly well. That amazing surprise would have been spoiled for most viewers had the full 10 episodes been available to view on day 1. And the social media buzz would have dissipated more quickly.

The example of Better Call Saul.... that's not a Netflix show. It's produced by AMC and shown on AMC in the US. They show one episode per week in the traditional model and that's why Netflix have to do the same, when showing it in non US territories.

I think Prime's approach is pretty good. They released 3 episodes up front of "The Boys" and then it goes to one per week after that. Best of both worlds.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Enjoyed ‘Stay Close’ on Netflix.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post

yeah i enjoyed it, binge-watched it all the other night

Four lives, watched plenty documentaries about Steven Port, makes a change seeing the story told from the families viewpoints.

About to finish ‘how to make it in America’. Won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but if you liked entourage (same makers) then might be for you - same short and sharp episodes with easy watching.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    I was reading Harlan Cobens books wayyyyy before he started making Netflix series's , He has others like 'the five ' 'Strangers ' 'The Woods ' all on Netflix give them a wee airing

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    I was reading Harlan Cobens books wayyyyy before he started making Netflix series's , He has others like 'the five ' 'Strangers ' 'The Woods ' all on Netflix give them a wee airing
    I shall do just that sir!

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Safe is another one, not sure if it’s still on or not because it was a while ago
    I watched it. That had Dexter in it.

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Safe is another one, not sure if it’s still on or not because it was a while ago
    I watched it. That had Dexter in it.
    Right enough ! Yeah it's still on Netflix

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    the 4th and last season of Ozark returns on 21st January on Netflix

14 episodes divided between two halves
    Great series, watch the first 3 series twice so looking forward to the new episodes.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

I’m in complete agreement, the main selling point of the streaming sites is that you got the whole season in one go. It might be better for Netflix or Prime to start releasing shows week by week, but doing that diminishes their appeal for me.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Yes it's great. Probably tails off in later seasons and gets a bit too clever for itself.

From memory there is a Goodfellas episode that is amazing in the first season. It's all very meta but if you're a big movie buff and you enjoy the references then it's good fun.
    Onto the last season of Community. Thought the first couple of seasons were good, then for two or 3 seasons there was the odd great episode but the quality really dropped off and I was skipping episodes. When John Oliver becomes more prominent out of necessity you’re in trouble. 4 episodes into the last season and it has unexpectedly picked up quality wise.

The new Attenborough, ‘The Green Planet’ starts in an hour on BBC1. Probably the one last thing the entire family still watches together.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The new Attenborough, ‘The Green Planet’ starts in an hour on BBC1. Probably the one last thing the entire family still watches together.
    The sight of those oil plantations stretching as far as the eye could see was truly depressing.

I’ve seen them before but after watching the amazing stuff of the rain forest before it really makes your heart sink to see what humans are doing to this plant like that.

A few episodes into The Mosquito Coast(Apple TV) seems good so far.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I see there’s a Fresh Prince Of Bel Air re-boot. Bizarrely it’s not a comedy but a drama. What’s the point? Why not just create a new show, I don’t get it. Unless they’re just piggy backing off the Fresh Prince brand.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I see there’s a Fresh Prince Of Bel Air re-boot. Bizarrely it’s not a comedy but a drama. What’s the point? Why not just create a new show, I don’t get it. Unless they’re just piggy backing off the Fresh Prince brand.
    I'm imagining the new intro – moody black-and-white shots of an urban jungle set to slow, ominous music. An earnest voiceover begins:

"In West Philadelphia, born and raised…"

The sight of those oil plantations stretching as far as the eye could see was truly depressing.

I’ve seen them before but after watching the amazing stuff of the rain forest before it really makes your heart sink to see what humans are doing to this plant like that.
    The end really was depressing viewing.

My wife was working in Malaysia last year and she said looking out the car window driving around it was literally green everywhere, which looked nice until you realised it was just oil palm, as far as the eye could see, everywhere.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    I’m just catching up with the second series of the Bay. I’d completely forgot about it and just remembered when I saw series 3 starting tonight. It’s really good for anyone that hasn’t seen it yet.