hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Film reviews - old and new

I don’t see a film thread on the front page. Seeing as I’ve been watching more this last wee while, thought I’d start a thread for sharing recent watches, whether the films are new releases, old classics and everything in between.

I’ll kick off with ‘A star is born’ which I watched on Amazon prime a few nights ago.

I thought it was alright but maybe not as into it as much as I thought I would be. Strangely as it began I started to question whether I was going to like it, but as it turned out I thought the first half was the best. Thought Cooper’s decline and their relationship could have been more gripping (and didn’t seem that gradual for quite a long film) and wouldn’t say I was that moved by the end of it. But not bad, and Lady Gaga is a talented woman.

6.5/10

2. Log in to remove the advert

Lucy

Violent action movie with a science fiction twist from Luc Besson.
    It’s amazing and Scarlett Johanson is outstanding.

8.5/10

Calibre - Scottish film set in the Highlands about 2 friends who get in some bother with the locals.

Absolutely brilliant film tremendously well acted.

9/10.

It was on Netflix a while back so may still be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Calibre - Scottish film set in the Highlands about 2 friends who get in some bother with the locals.

Absolutely brilliant film tremendously well acted.

9/10.

It was on Netflix a while back so may still be available.
    Seen that a couple of times as I used to know someone that’s in it. Agree it’s a decent wee watch and something quite different.

I watched ‘Joe’ last night with everyone’s favourite Nicholas Cage 😝

It was good. He owns a tree-poisoning company and takes-on a young travelling lad struggling to mind his mum and sister living with an alcoholic and abusive dad. Cage is a bit badass himself but clearly a better role model than the lad’s father.

7/10
    Last edited by WeeRussell; 02-04-2021 at 07:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Watched The Third Man.... yet again... last night.

Magnificent writing from probably my favourite English author. The black and white gives it the perfect desperate feel.

And Orson Welles 😍

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Watched The Third Man.... yet again... last night.

Magnificent writing from probably my favourite English author. The black and white gives it the perfect desperate feel.

And Orson Welles 😍
    Funny enough I noticed that was on tv tonight on one of the sky channels but didn’t bother with it. Maybe I should have hit the record button after all!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Funny enough I noticed that was on tv tonight on one of the sky channels but didn’t bother with it. Maybe I should have hit the record button after all!
    It was on BBC4, so you might get it on the iPlayer.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It was on BBC4, so you might get it on the iPlayer.
    👍 I like an old classic. Put the majority of the modern carry-ons obsessed with action and special effects to shame.

If we are going with old classics then I give you White Heat.

James Cagney at his very best as Cody Jarrett

Watched Mank this week on Netflix.

This is David Fincher’s career passion project- the story of Herman Mankiewiecz writing Citizen Kane. The film jumps between him writing it from his sick bed and the prior ten years covering his relationship with William Randolph Hearst.

I would say that it requires a bit of knowledge upfront about the story, Orson Welles and Hearst. There is also still some dispute about what the “true story” is. But you could say that about most historic films.

Anyway I thought it was brilliant. 4 stars from me! Gary Oldman, Charles Dance and few others giving brilliant performances. Made me want to watch Citizen Kane again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Watched Mank this week on Netflix.

This is David Fincher’s career passion project- the story of Herman Mankiewiecz writing Citizen Kane. The film jumps between him writing it from his sick bed and the prior ten years covering his relationship with William Randolph Hearst.

I would say that it requires a bit of knowledge upfront about the story, Orson Welles and Hearst. There is also still some dispute about what the “true story” is. But you could say that about most historic films.

Anyway I thought it was brilliant. 4 stars from me! Gary Oldman, Charles Dance and few others giving brilliant performances. Made me want to watch Citizen Kane again soon.

don't think I’ve ever seen Charles Dance give a poor performance, the man is a terrific actor

@hibs.net private member
    I watched The Mauritanian on Amazon the other night, really enjoyed it, true story about a guy who was accused of being a terrorist recruiter for 9/11.

8/10

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    I watched The Mauritanian on Amazon the other night, really enjoyed it, true story about a guy who was accused of being a terrorist recruiter for 9/11.

8/10
    I’ll second that

8/10
    It’s excellent. If you haven’t already you should check out his book.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    It’s excellent. If you haven’t already you should check out his book.
    I hadn’t heard of the story before watching it, without trying to give any of the film away at the end credits when the book was being flicked through it didn’t look to ‘readable’ I take it that’s the wrong impression?

I hadn’t heard of the story before watching it, without trying to give any of the film away at the end credits when the book was being flicked through it didn’t look to ‘readable’ I take it that’s the wrong impression?
    The heavily redacted pages were re-written for a later version. I’ve got it on my Kindle and the previously censored passages are shaded so you can see what the authorities didn’t want us to see initially.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    If we're reviewing old pictures which stand the test of time then my vote has to go for....

The Searchers.

Its John Wayne's finest performance IMO.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    The heavily redacted pages were re-written for a later version. I’ve got it on my Kindle and the previously censored passages are shaded so you can see what the authorities didn’t want us to see initially.
    ah right nice one I'll give that a look then, cheers for that

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    If we're reviewing old pictures which stand the test of time then my vote has to go for....

The Searchers.

Its John Wayne's finest performance IMO.
    A true classic. One of many brilliant Wayne films.

You could almost just admire the scenery for the duration of what is quite a long film Stunning.

The last Duke movie I seen was 'Red River' for the first time a few weeks back... and I'm going to watch 'the man who shot liberty valance' shortly. Given my love for westerns, and the fact I really like both Wayne and Stewart... I think it's about time I did.

King of Staten Island is a good comedy that was released last year. I didn't know much about the actor/comedian Pete Davidson and watched it based on some decent reviews

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    King of Staten Island is a good comedy that was released last year. I didn't know much about the actor/comedian Pete Davidson and watched it based on some decent reviews
    enjoyed this as well, bill burr is good in it as well

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Just watched Nomadland. My god it's boring. It's like they've taken the bits from between episodes of the Hulk and put it into a film as she travels from.place to place.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Not an actual review of a film, but i am searching through my iptv for a film to watch, and there is an extraordinary amount of films with Steven Seagal in them.

How the hell did that man get to star in so many films?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Not an actual review of a film, but i am searching through my iptv for a film to watch, and there is an extraordinary amount of films with Steven Seagal in them.

How the hell did that man get to star in so many films?
    Check out who the producer is on his films, you'll find your answer there.

I enjoyed Sound of Metal, Riz Ahmed is excellent.

Tenet is an enjoyable mess.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Went to see Those Who Wish Me Dead at the cinema last night. It’s not anything groundbreaking or original, but thought it was well done and grounded. Think Cliffhanger with Stallone, but without the 80s over the top action and cheese. Quite enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Went to see Those Who Wish Me Dead at the cinema last night. It’s not anything groundbreaking or original, but thought it was well done and grounded. Think Cliffhanger with Stallone, but without the 80s over the top action and cheese. Quite enjoyed it.
    Haven't seen that but you certainly sold Cliffhanger to me :)

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Saw A Quiet Place 2 last night, thought it was really good. Can’t remember all that much of the first one but remember thinking it was decent, thought the sequel was a lot better.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I watched Cruella last night with my girls. I really enjoyed it and thought Emmas Stone & Thompson were brilliant in their roles. Excellent soundtrack too.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    We watched Palmer last night. Really enjoyed it. Was strange seeing Justin Timberlake in a reasonably serious role.