hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Urgency, Intensity

Have these words been spoken this year in a Hibs pre-match or HT team talk?

Totally appalling lack of urgency and desire to get goals and win games. None more so than Robertson and Craig who remain misfits. I'd seriously rather we'd paid these guys off and brought in some young hungry lower division players who actually want to fight for points.

On a separate note WTF is Stubbs thinking keeping Stevenson at RWB for the full 90 (not a criticism of the player). The promised flexible tactics have failed to materialise, very poor decisions before and during today's game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

We should be going at teams with a attacking formation playing with two winger and two up front in this league. Thats what Hearts are doing and are winning games by half time.

Completely lacking all over the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We should be going at teams with a attacking formation playing with two winger and two up front in this league. Thats what Hearts are doing and are winning games by half time.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrHibs
    Been saying this for weeks. Best word to sum up Hibs is pedestrian.

Hearts go for the jugular from the off and maintain that momentum until the game is truly dead and buried. We have a belief that if we are patient and take our time our quality will reap rewards.

I'm sorry but it just isn't working. Get your finger out your ass and play at a tempo that will get us up this league otherwise we will be battling it out for a playoff place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner Hibby View Post
    I've been saying all week that we had to start Harris or Kennedy on the right today. We basically sacrificed any attacking threat down that side by playing Lewis there. Also weakens the left after Lewis had provided 3 assists in 1.5 games playing LWB.

Coupled with Robertson sitting so deep we had far too many passengers. With 3 CBs we didn't need anyone holding. The goal was the only time Robertson actually pushed forward and tried to get involved in the box.

Regardless of all that, if the players just showed more energy and tried to get on the front foot more we likely win. The fans respond, players are lifted, opposition think twice about pushing forward etc.

Instead we are always waiting for something to happen.

First half ok, second half awful. Way too deep, strikers isolated - no penetration. Crying out for pace out wide. We looked better when McGeough came on for Craig. Would have liked to see Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I've been saying all week that we had to start Harris or Kennedy on the right today. We basically sacrificed any attacking threat down that side by playing Lewis there. Also weakens the left after Lewis had provided 3 assists in 1.5 games playing LWB.

Coupled with Robertson sitting so deep we had far too many passengers. With 3 CBs we didn't need anyone holding. The goal was the only time Robertson actually pushed forward and tried to get involved in the box.

Regardless of all that, if the players just showed more energy and tried to get on the front foot more we likely win. The fans respond, players are lifted, opposition think twice about pushing forward etc.

We were one nil up and playing for time at 60 minutes. We are playing Raith at home in the championship, charging premiership prices and we're trying to waste time and slow game down with 30 minutes to go. Worrying, is the best I can think of! As for Robertson, at least he won the hide and seek contest today!

Don't think urgency and intensity is the biggest issue, it's a lack of quality.

How many of Liam Craigs corners hit the 1st man or landed in the keepers hands? 70% plus. At least 4 times Scott Allan picked the wrong option in a threatening position. Several times we had a player receive the ball and rather than open their body they moved back the way the ball had comes and i to a congested area, more than once it appeared this was because they didn't want to take a touch on their weaker foot. So many moves broke down in the final.3rd because of inaccurate passing, passes hit too hard, too soft, too high, at the wrong time..... All quality issues and all preventing us taking commanding leads in games like today.

We've played as good as a full round of fixtures now and we are nowhere near good enough to challenge for the title which was our stated aim.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Coaching Staff
    I obviously haven't see much of us this season but I echo any comments about going hard at so called part time clubs right from kick off.

To log on, and find that we manage to beat Cowdenbeath in the final seconds of the game, as opposed to having whipped them 4or 5 nothing is not what I want.

We shouldn't be COMPETING with the majority of sides in this division, we should be STEAMROLLING them.

Standing back and letting them play is courting disaster.

@hibs.net private member
    Stevenson at rwb slowed everything down today. Allan gave the ball away more than he kept it and I've never seen a ball bounce off a player as much as it does with Robertson.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Stevenson at rwb slowed everything down today. Allan gave the ball away more than he kept it and I've never seen a ball bounce off a player as much as it does with Robertson.
    Allan did all the hard things right, turning players, making space for himself and driving forward but when he had the final (easier) ball to play he seemed to panic. It must have happened about 5 times today when he had the opportunity to put someone through but failed.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    You have got to have sympathy for Stevenson. Man of the match on Monday and shifted to the right again thanks to lack of decent cover in the squad. Surely there is some right sided player on the books that could play right back.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    You have got to have sympathy for Stevenson. Man of the match on Monday and shifted to the right again thanks to lack of decent cover in the squad. Surely there is some right sided player on the books that could play right back.
    Totally agree, we lost out in 2 positions today by shifting him over. He HAD to slow play down as he consistently needed to get the ball onto his left foot.

Thought Allan was our best player. Final ball let him down quite a few times though.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    Totally agree, we lost out in 2 positions today by shifting him over. He HAD to slow play down as he consistently needed to get the ball onto his left foot.
    Afraid Stubbs committed the cardinal sin of making two changes when only one was needed.As a result both wide positions were weakened.Hope he learns from the mistakes he makes.

Quote Originally Posted by marleyhib View Post
    Thought Allan was our best player. Final ball let him down quite a few times though.
    As his game has to be about delivering the final ball can't see that he could possibly be the best player.I don't blame him for trying -he played urgently-but either he's telegraphing the passes or he panics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

How many of Liam Craigs corners hit the 1st man or landed in the keepers hands? 70% plus. At least 4 times Scott Allan picked the wrong option in a threatening position. Several times we had a player receive the ball and rather than open their body they moved back the way the ball had comes and i to a congested area, more than once it appeared this was because they didn't want to take a touch on their weaker foot. So many moves broke down in the final.3rd because of inaccurate passing, passes hit too hard, too soft, too high, at the wrong time..... All quality issues and all preventing us taking commanding leads in games like today.

We've played as good as a full round of fixtures now and we are nowhere near good enough to challenge for the title which was our stated aim.
    I agree there's a lack of quality, thought our set pieces were excellent for the first 3 games but now we've reverted to the loft with no pace. And talking of Craig's lack of quality, how poor was his back post volley first half? That was a great chance.

Ability aside though, it doesn't look like we're even trying to play with tempo.

Quote Originally Posted by marleyhib View Post
    Allen found the final ball difficult because we were outnumbered in midfield. Playing three centre halves with Lewis and Booth at home to Raith is lunacy. What's worse is that he never changed the formation for the whole 90. All he did was rearrange the deck chairs on a sinking ship with his subs. Really disappointed.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    Allen found the final ball difficult because we were outnumbered in midfield. Playing three centre halves with Lewis and Booth at home to Raith is lunacy. What's worse is that he never changed the formation for the whole 90. All he did was rearrange the deck chairs on a sinking ship with his subs. Really disappointed.
    It did look like we were outnumbered but we had 5 in there.

I thought Allan looked good at times but he does give the ball away a hell of a lot.

Did he play Stevenson at right back ("wing back") because Hibs don't have anyone else good enough to play right back at the club at first team level? If so, for a club that professes to be a "big club" that's a disgrace.

Stevenson frequently had to check, and move the ball onto his left foot, before making a pass or a cross.

Before I get slaughtered, this is not me having a go at Lewis Stevenson. He was asked to play right back, done his best, but that is not his position.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

This is it in a nutshell for me. No urgency, slow build up and poor final pass has been the norm all season
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    But we could have had 5 in midfield in that set up by adapting to the situations. I don't think we will improve until we can replace Craig and Robertson in there, although on paper they should be good experienced players who help the youngsters. It's baffling how poor they can be at times.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Did he play Stevenson at right back ("wing back") because Hibs don't have anyone else good enough to play right back at the club at first team level? If so, for a club that professes to be a "big club" that's a disgrace.

Stevenson frequently had to check, and move the ball onto his left foot, before making a pass or a cross.

Before I get slaughtered, this is not me having a go at Lewis Stevenson. He was asked to play right back, done his best, but that is not his position.
    He finished the game the other night in that position so maybe he thought he should continue?

Wrong call though - with him only being able to use one foot it slowed everything down. He could play there if we need to defend more but in agame like that at home we could've played Stanton or Harris on the right.

It did look like we were outnumbered but we had 5 in there.

I thought Allan looked good at times but he does give the ball away a hell of a lot.
    This is my one frustration about a clever player like SA. Seems to always look for the World Cup pass rather than pick out a team mate wide
    This is how it feels

He finished the game the other night in that position so maybe he thought he should continue?

Wrong call though - with him only being able to use one foot it slowed everything down. He could play there if we need to defend more but in agame like that at home we could've played Stanton or Harris on the right.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    As his game has to be about delivering the final ball can't see that he could possibly be the best player.I don't blame him for trying -he played urgently-but either he's telegraphing the passes or he panics.
    Or there wasn't enough movement up front....or probably all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Definitely. That's why no matter how the formation is changed, or the personnel are changed, the same problems exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Or there wasn't enough movement up front....or probably all 3.
    There was good movement upfront with the strikers running into scoring positions, he just failed to make what appeared to be quite easy passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    There was good movement upfront with the strikers running into scoring positions, he just failed to make what appeared to be quite easy passes.
    Malonga hardly moved all afternoon. I think Allan will put it all together eventually though.