hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Stubbsy's autobiography

Just finished reading Alan Stubbs' autobiography - a really interesting read.

Covers his views on refereeing bias in Scotland, different managers he worked under (the bits about John Barnes were interesting), playing in derbies and his battles with cancer - unusually insightful for your average football autobiography.

I'd say if I was a player I'd be looking up to Stubbsy - he comes across as really intelligent and has some really good insights into man management, unlike our last imposter.

Well worth a read if you can get your hands on it.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 01-10-2014 at 10:04 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Yeah read it while on holiday in July. Really enjoyed it. The man has some real fight about him. He's a real winner and knows where he wants to go in the game.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Spoke to one of the under 20 goalies tonight at training and he says training is really good and Stubbs is a top bloke.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

I read it too just after he was appointed, came across as a much more thoughtful bloke than I'd at first imagined. Seems absolutely in love with the game too, so I hope some of his enthusiasm and work ethic rubs off and leaves a lasting impression on the squad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah read it while on holiday in July. Really enjoyed it. The man has some real fight about him. He's a real winner and knows where he wants to go in the game.
    Where's that then? Not Celtic I hope

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Spoke to one of the under 20 goalies tonight at training and he says training is really good and Stubbs is a top bloke.

Would that not be, in Scouse parlance, "a gaffer Gaffer"?

[awaits confirmation/denial from ScouseHibee]

@hibs.net private member
    I've read the book and really enjoyed it. The bit about Wim Janesn telling the players to go home when they were hungover...he waited until they were feeling better the next day before saying its unacceptable.

I do feel having read it that he would absolutely jump at the chance of joining sellick if the opportunity came up, his fondness for the club for the way they supported him through his cancer battle shone through.

@hibs.net private member _hucks_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Would that not be, in Scouse parlance, "a gaffer Gaffer"?

[awaits confirmation/denial from ScouseHibee]
    Not one I've come across in my 5 years here... A boss boss would fit, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeovil_Hibee View Post
    I've read the book and really enjoyed it. The bit about Wim Janesn telling the players to go home when they were hungover...he waited until they were feeling better the next day before saying its unacceptable.

I do feel having read it that he would absolutely jump at the chance of joining sellick if the opportunity came up, his fondness for the club for the way they supported him through his cancer battle shone through.
    I'd be as fine as is possible with him joining Celtic if he been here and had incredible success with us over a number of years. With this being his first job, his long term goal should be getting Hibs from where we are now to having us challenging at the top of the Premiership and winning trophies and doing relatively well in Europe. That is achievable for us within 5 years. That would be a massive achievement for his first job and he'd have more lucrative offers than Celtic from South of the border if that were the case.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Where's that then? Not Celtic I hope
    Well, unfortunately he does talk about how special celtic is and how if he went into management, he would love the chance to manage their. Not really a surprising comment tho from a former captain.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Getting compo from celtic for a successful manager would make a pleasant change from sacking them and paying them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Getting compo from celtic for a successful manager would make a pleasant change from sacking them and paying them off.
    Agree 100%. I'd love for Stubbs to do well enough to get offers.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Well, unfortunately he does talk about how special celtic is and how if he went into management, he would love the chance to manage their. Not really a surprising comment tho from a former captain.
    We'll turn him.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _hucks_ View Post
    Not one I've come across in my 5 years here... A boss boss would fit, however.