hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was not used in finals at that time, hence the replay.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    I had been in Oz for 5 years and this was the first ever Scottish Cup Final televised live in Oz.

It kicked off at midnight, and I watched with my mate who happened to be a misguided Rangers supporter.

We were both mortal and I can't remember a thing about the game other than it was0-0

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Extra time in last game. Rangers didn't miss a penalty in the first game but did in the last. Jackie McNamara's performance in all games was outstanding.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Extra time in last game. Rangers didn't miss a penalty in the first game but did in the last. Jackie McNamara's performance in all games was outstanding.
    Strange, could have swore they missed pen in first game. Ahhh the mists of time. Sure they hit the bar though but might be wrong again.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Strange, could have swore they missed pen in first game. Ahhh the mists of time. Sure they hit the bar though but might be wrong again.
    Definitely the third game Spike. Penalty was taken by Alex Miller but Jim McArthur saved it
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    i hated going through to glasgow especially against these knuckle draggers. also remember a game at easter road back in the seventies when we drew with them 2-2 ( old joe mcbride scored )and bunch of the chanting UDA with one of them trying to slash me with a metal comb along albion road. i detest them more than the hearts.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. Rolls View Post
    They were joined by Yams, whose game at Dunfermline was called off at the last minute. They seem to have come off worst when it kicked off at ER.
    Was this definitely before the final. Was it not the year after when George best was playing? I can remember the yams coming to ER when their game was cancelled but thought it was the year after when best was playing. I can also remember it was on sportscene that night and Archie couldn't bring himself to say the Huns caused the trouble - it was all the yams fault.

Left by mutual consent!
    Apologies for finding this where I did!

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/i...1979051202.jpg

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomeancity View Post
    Are you and the couple of other posters sure this is how it happened. Had he really rounded mccloy. My memory was it was one of those when the forward knocks it past the keeper and is running to the byeline when the keeper dives and takes his feet away? Don't argue it was a stonewaller, but I can't remember it being a tap-in?
    Like others I also remember the buses being panned at the end, we were in a car watching it all, you couldn't move in the traffic. Huns just casually walked up the bus queue throwing bricks as they went, seen lots of Hibbies jumping off the buses but it just led to huge gangs of huns charging them. I can also only remember just seeing Hibbies being arrested. My dad never took me to another game in Glasgow after that, he had seen enough. Next game he went to through there was the Skol cup win.
    My recollection - I was approximately on the half-way line and the ball broke (or was passed ?) and Colin Campbell was on his own, there was no danger any of their players woud catch up to him. He raced towards their goal and just flicked it past McCloy but before he got any further, the lanky-piece-of-s*** just purposely clattered him - it was, and has always been, the 'Hun way' - 'They shall not pass' !!

Quote Originally Posted by ehf View Post
    I was right behind the goal and the picture is etched in my memory; Campbell was in a central position, near the penalty spot, knocked the ball deftly past McCloy, who promptly took the legs from him. The ultimate stonewalled, but no real surprise it wasn't given as we had suffered from McGinlay and his Masonic predecessors (Bobby Davidson et al) throughout the 70s.
    Bobby Davidson - probably McGinlay's mentor !. I had all the Hibs-programmes from the 1970's and out of approx 20 league-games against the Hun, Davidson 'reffed' 12 of them !. One that sticks in my memory (though time might've enhanced events somewhat ??) though, was during the 3-day week period (1973 ?) we played rangers at ER - almost certain it was a SC game ? - during the day as due to power-cuts, floodlit games weren't allowed. It was a very wet day and the pitch, especially on the wings, was sodden, cut-up. Tommy McClean raced in from the wing and Erich Schaedler tackled him. Now I can't remember if it was a foul or not but what I do remember is Bobby Davidson waiting until McClean's momentum from the tackle (he'd been going flat-out at the time but was still a good 7-8 yards outside our box) took him just inside our box and Davidson blew for a penalty ??. Hibs fans/players went mental but they scored with it anyway and it meant the game ended 1-1 !. My favourite memory of that match, though, was when the players were trotting-off at FT, Schaedler, furious with the decision/result, caught up with McClean and banjoed the wee-pr*** right on the napper - it was a beauty, a true SCUD !!. All hell broke loose, right on the half-way line outside the player's tunnel, with McCleans regular 'Bodyguard', Tam Forsyth (a typical Hun thug/f***-wit) racing towards Shades looking like he was going to avenge his wee pal - and then stopping dead-in-his-tracks when he realised Shades was now going for HIM !!. Unfortunately, the more level-headed Hibs-players managed to restrain Erich from what would've been a momentous battle and, imho, would've ended the 'Hard-man' image that Forsyth played up to. Iirc, I think this was also the game that chairman Tom Hart, got fined by the SFA for calling them 'Cheats' (which they were/are !) but not absolutely certain. Either way, this wasn't a 'one-off' in games against them when Davidson was the referee - he was an absolute disgrace of a ref/man !.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but checking back through the Herald archives shows the 1972 Celtic trouble was all our fault. Stop slandering the poor wee Glasgow mites.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    At that time when there wasnae much else going on, we had 1 or 2 individuals but not a team, but to a young supporter, our team & support were everything. & best of all that, to my young eyes, was a guy who played for Everything, every ball, anywhere, Leading a team, most of my mates went for all the forwards scoring, but to me in them dayys, Jackie Mac was immense, especially after having to come to Hibs after Paddy. For anyone wanting to see a brilliant, committed, controlled & downright awesome display of how to play for a Football team, but more significantly for Hibs, just watch Jackie Mac for Hibs in the SC final 79.

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    At that time when there wasnae much else going on, we had 1 or 2 individuals but not a team, but to a young supporter, our team & support were everything. & best of all that, to my young eyes, was a guy who played for Everything, every ball, anywhere, Leading a team, most of my mates went for all the forwards scoring, but to me in them dayys, Jackie Mac was immense, especially after having to come to Hibs after Paddy. For anyone wanting to see a brilliant, committed, controlled & downright awesome display of how to play for a Football team, but more significantly for Hibs, just watch Jackie Mac for Hibs in the SC final 79.
    Edit - read all Jackie Macs games for Hibs, not just SC finals, what a player & captain for Hibs.

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    Wish we could mate, which was part of my original post, the footage for this game rests somewhere in the archives of the BBC and I don't recall ever seeing any highlights from this game being replayed at any time through the years, it's like getting the spfl to update it's youtube page in modern times, an impossible task.

[QUOTE=Marinehibby;4188603]Wish we could mate, which was part of my original post, the footage for this game rests somewhere in the archives of the BBC and I don't recall ever seeing any highlights from this game being replayed at any time through the years, it's like getting the spfl to update it's youtube page in modern times, an impossible
    Tell you what mate, must be around somewhere, i was in the hoose but watchin early games, but surely, its now el classico status, but anybody, anybody thinking of being a sweeper & marshalling a defence & coming so, so, close to winning the Scottish Cup, please get back to us & show us where we can see some supreme defending. Absolute criminal that Hibs did not win the SC in 79!

Gamer IDs

I was only 13 at the time and had been to just a couple of dozen games with my old man and Kano once I started high school, the likes of Ally McL, Tony Higgins and Jackie Mac (Benny even) they were all my heroes, I was just getting into football when that team were playing for us and though I never knew any better they were my team, that final saga hooked me for life, little did I know that the next season would be the typical Hibs experience to the present day, the joy of Best to the low of a humiliating relegation, I could never imagine it would get any worse then this last couple of years happened but it's all part of the gig as a Hibby.

Gamer IDs

I tell you, reading this thread has had me in tears of laughter, I obviously missed the worst of the hooligan days but it astounds me that the events remembered here were pretty much the norm for the time, no wonder the casual movement appeared, there was an inevitably about how things progressed, fank ***** that mostly seems in the past now though I imagine more than a few of you miss the excitement of it all..

Quote Originally Posted by Marinehibby View Post
    I tell you, reading this thread has had me in tears of laughter, I obviously missed the worst of the hooligan days but it astounds me that the events remembered here were pretty much the norm for the time, no wonder the casual movement appeared, there was an inevitably about how things progressed, fank ***** that mostly seems in the past now though I imagine more than a few of you miss the excitement of it all..
    Thanks for starting this thread, MH! Brought back a lot of memories, and I was able to get some stuff off my chest that I'd been waiting to get rid of for 35 years! I'd really like to see some footage of the original Cup Final game...

After the 1st final in 1979 my uncle was driving home on the M8 when he told us to get our scarves out the window. He then took us a detour through Harthill where several things were lobbed at us but they all missed as we went speeding through. If we ever beat the Huns in a final I think I will pay tribute and take our supporters bus through Harthill on the way home.

I was 21 at the time skinny and a student at Paisley College We t to the first two games and was in fact in the Rangers end for first game .Very little recollection of these games apart from pretty drab O. 0 score line .I also don't remember any hype about Hibs not winning the Scottish Cup for so long .
    I do recall in second game being behind the goal and thinking Colin Campbell should of scored .

Was cramming for an Exam and had ti miss the third game .Remember turning on the radio and Arthur Duncan had just scored in extra time .Was gutted when realised it was an own goal .

We should have won the cup but blew several chances. Where have we heard that before?

I remember three miserable return journeys to Kings Park station near Hampden. In those days the Glasgow Police were corrupt and lazy from the top down and afforded away fans no protection at all. It was as though they didn't see the safeguarding of the public as part of their duty.

As a result we were subjected to 90 minutes and more of intimidation from burly Orangemen on the terrace beside us. When a mate complained to the cops he was thrown out of the ground!

Segregation and seating have been blamed for sanitising football as an experience but it's a lot safer for sure.

I was 9. Hassled my Dad (not a footy fan) to take me to first game. He had the bright idea of combining it with a trip to my Gran's. So we got the train in from Motherwell, jam packed with malevolent Huns, me with jacket zipped right up and scarf stuffed in pocket. The way back was scary, I remember going through a tunnel at King's Park station reverberating with Huns singing about Fenian *******s dying, etc. Hated them then, hate them now. Glad their original team died. Hope the new one does too.

If you think the sectarian stuff is bad now it was nothing compared to the 70s/80s/90s. Middle of all the Northern Ireland troubles and it flowed down the terracings of Hampden, Ibrox and Parkhead. As another poster said see 1980 SC final footage for evidence of how bad it became.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    I was at the first final and I thought they missed a penalty too. I was only 11 at the time mind you.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Completely agree he was incredible especially in the first final.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Mad times. One of my mates got slashed across the face with a steel comb and another was hit on the back of the head with a golf ball. And I'll never forget the hun hoardes trying to get on board the parked double decker hibs supporters buses - they didn't meet with much success thankfully.

Another guy in our bus had a bottle of vintage champagne which he vowed would never be opened until Hibs won the Scottish Cup. After we eventually succumbed, it was a case of enough was enough, the bottle was opened and finished in about two minutes flat!!
    Great days though!! vv I can still see mcCloy saving ColinCambells effort near the end of the first final. Straight at him and the big clown would probably have let it through his legs.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Bobby Davidson - probably McGinlay's mentor !. I had all the Hibs-programmes from the 1970's and out of approx 20 league-games against the Hun, Davidson 'reffed' 12 of them !. One that sticks in my memory (though time might've enhanced events somewhat ??) though, was during the 3-day week period (1973 ?) we played rangers at ER - almost certain it was a SC game ? - during the day as due to power-cuts, floodlit games weren't allowed. It was a very wet day and the pitch, especially on the wings, was sodden, cut-up. Tommy McClean raced in from the wing and Erich Schaedler tackled him. Now I can't remember if it was a foul or not but what I do remember is Bobby Davidson waiting until McClean's momentum from the tackle (he'd been going flat-out at the time but was still a good 7-8 yards outside our box) took him just inside our box and Davidson blew for a penalty ??. Hibs fans/players went mental but they scored with it anyway and it meant the game ended 1-1 !. My favourite memory of that match, though, was when the players were trotting-off at FT, Schaedler, furious with the decision/result, caught up with McClean and banjoed the wee-pr*** right on the napper - it was a beauty, a true SCUD !!. All hell broke loose, right on the half-way line outside the player's tunnel, with McCleans regular 'Bodyguard', Tam Forsyth (a typical Hun thug/f***-wit) racing towards Shades looking like he was going to avenge his wee pal - and then stopping dead-in-his-tracks when he realised Shades was now going for HIM !!. Unfortunately, the more level-headed Hibs-players managed to restrain Erich from what would've been a momentous battle and, imho, would've ended the 'Hard-man' image that Forsyth played up to. Iirc, I think this was also the game that chairman Tom Hart, got fined by the SFA for calling them 'Cheats' (which they were/are !) but not absolutely certain. Either way, this wasn't a 'one-off' in games against them when Davidson was the referee - he was an absolute disgrace of a ref/man !.[/QUOTE]

That has brought back some memories for me. It was the first Hibs v Rangers game for me, as my auld man wouldn't take me to games v Huns, Hearts or Celtic. Alex McDonald and Tommy McLean seemed particularly antagonistic in their approach to the game and were even more despised by Hibees than the obvious culprits, like GReig or Forsyth?

On another note, I asked Colin Campbell about the penalty incident at the cup final after playing directly against him when he was turning out for Spartans. He won a penalty that day and there was some banter about it afterwards (it was soft). Colin had no hesitation in saying that the referee was a cheating ******* and that it was a stonewaller. We were robbed, no doubt about it.

Someone mentioned Jackie MacNamara's performances in the finals. I think those games were the ones that really cemented his position with Hibs fans and gave him the acceptance he deserved. What a player!

Some great memories folks, we need more nostalgia threads, I love hearing about the game in the olden days, lol.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Was 18 and in the army at the time so i only made the first replay. Got hammered in waverley and was on the football special with a carry out, the train was packed so i was up top in the luggage rack. 2 mins off the train met the hordes of huns giving us pelters gave some back and got lifted but they took us round to the entrance and let us in after they took our names. The game was pretty poor can't remember anything about it. 72 final was no probs my dad took us to the wrong end must have been the only 2 Hibs fans on that massive east terrace, left at 4-1. The only good memory of Scottish cup finals i have is the last 15 mins against celtc in the last one when we were all singing our heads off.
    45 AND RISING

I went to all three finals on The Bonnyrigg Bus, double deckers for the first game, single decker for the second and a reinforced armoured tank for the third. As it was the norm back then I was used to violence at matches but the fighting after the first final beat anything I had ever seen before. The Huns were wandering in huge packs attacking anyone in green, I ended up hiding under the seats of the bus as the bricks rained down on the windows and my abiding memory is driving back to Edinburgh and every bus that we overtook or were overtaken by had most of their windows missing. The violence outside the ground was terrifying for a young teenager and the police just stood watching. Some things never change.

On my first visit to Ibrox, the mostly old or middle aged guys from the Bus I was on went into the Main Stand. Being my first time there, I just followed them. A lot of Rangers Fans seemed to object to this, as we were met by a Mob outside after the game waiting to tear our heads off.

We had to have a line of Polis guarding us while they sent for our Bus (presumably they couldn't be arsed giving us an escort to the Car Park). As we got on the Bus, one Weegie Polis took great delight in saying, in a very loud voice and with a big grin, "you'll no be back here in a hurry then lads".

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    On my first visit to Ibrox, the mostly old or middle aged guys from the Bus I was on went into the Main Stand. Being my first time there, I just followed them. A lot of Rangers Fans seemed to object to this, as we were met by a Mob outside after the game waiting to tear our heads off.

We had to have a line of Polis guarding us while they sent for our Bus (presumably they couldn't be arsed giving us an escort to the Car Park). As we got on the Bus, one Weegie Polis took great delight in saying, in a very loud voice and with a big grin, "you'll no be back here in a hurry then lads".
    We talk about the average hun being sub-human misfits but it seems the polis were even worse.