hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Im now working on the basis that if the clubs custodians aren't bothered why should I.

Im very quickly turning into a cultural Hibbie. Didn't get a ST and only been to one game this season. I don't get in any sort of mood when we get beaten, as that's what im expecting. Likewise I couldn't get excited about our win up at RC.

I think im getting beyond apathy. I probably aspire to be apathetic.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im now working on the basis that if the clubs custodians aren't bothered why should I.

Im very quickly turning into a cultural Hibbie. Didn't get a ST and only been to one game this season. I don't get in any sort of mood when we get beaten, as that's what im expecting. Likewise I couldn't get excited about our win up at RC.

It's totally understandable right now. Everybody needs something to be excited about, if they're to maintain interest, and, sadly, there's been very little excitement on the pitch. If/when our fortunes improve, you'll get the bug again, mate. You need something to be positive about again.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by TowerHibs View Post
    I get over it pretty quickly. Have also became use to it recently.

Would think if anyone over 16 lets a football team defeat ruin your night/weekend/week ought to have a look at themselve in the mirror.
    Yes, I feel really ashamed having not smiled my way along Gorgie Road, congratulating them, sharing some banter, enjoying a glass of champagne the night of our Cup final humiliation.

I must write a letter of apology to the Hearts board and also send a copy to the Scotsman to share my regret with the Loyalist/Unionist community at large.

I cannot understand how anyone can say that a bad result should never spoil even one night because surely no-one would have us believe that they go to watch Hibs because they just 'like to watch a good game of football' and the result is not important.

I am not suggesting we all wear black after a defeat (Hell, Leith would look like an outdoor Cure concert every weekend) or smash windows on the way home or break bottles over someones head in the Cowgate, but it is important. That is why people give up their hard earned cash every week, some travelling long distances to do so (suckers comes to mind ), why people ensure their kids wear a Hibs top before they are on 'solids', why we come on Hibs.net to even make comments saying it's not that important! And tell me that on a certain day in Dundee in 1986 Albert Kidd's 'heroics' should not have evoked despair in Gorgie and elation in Leith.

Run or ruin? Of course it should not run your life but it certainly can ruin my day and I confess I still sometimes think 'How the hell did we manage to get ourselves relegated?' and I feel a residual anger.

If a 5-1 humiliation in the Cup by them can't ruin my day then conversely would it not be just as ludicrous had we won 5-1 for it to have made my day! Somehow I don't think I would have been looking at myself in the mirror asking 'Why am I so happy with this result?'.

I can understand more the mood of fans who have or are near to giving up because it seems the club have given up and ironically they are giving up because it is important to them and it does spoil their day/weekend/week so it is easier for them to not have to actually watch the . If it did not spoil their day then they could just happily watch another desperate and futile performance and whistle a merry tune on the way home.

Of course it is more than a game. That is why Ulster lads like Ivan tell us that 'for the rest of his life his blood will run green', or Franck put's his hand to the Hibs badge over his heart, or why 'there is class, first class and Hibs class', or why Griffiths chooses to go to Hibs games on his days off, or why Pat Stanton celebrates his 70th at Easter Road.

Indeed I think you have it the wrong way round. A 16 year old would not know any different and might think 'Haven't Hibs always been crap?', whereas the older ones know differently and it is the older ones who have had to watch our steady decline and find it depressing, in a football perspective and so give up. As I said, should it run your life? certainly not. But does it 'spoil' my weeekend after a defeat to Alloa, or QoS and look at us 3rd bottom in a lower divsion while those s***s from along the road sit atop the division, unbeaten? You bet it does!!!

Would think if anyone over 16 lets a football team defeat ruin your night/weekend/week ought to have a look at themselve in the mirror.
    Dear oh dear
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Left by mutual consent!
    Used to bother me, lots!! Whole weekends ruined because of a defeat..

Now I genuinely couldn't really care.

Have far more important things in life to be concerned or annoyed about

I'm old enough to be used to the disappointment so unless it's a big game I don't care much. If we win it still feels good though.

I get more annoyed at the time by a poor performance than by a defeat, but ultimately it is only a game of football. I have plenty of other things going on to occupy my attention, most of which I can at least influence.

Twenty or thirty years ago I'd have considered the above to be the words of a part time fan. Must be an age thing.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    Yes, I feel really ashamed having not smiled my way along Gorgie Road, congratulating them, sharing some banter, enjoying a glass of champagne the night of our Cup final humiliation.

I must write a letter of apology to the Hearts board and also send a copy to the Scotsman to share my regret with the Loyalist/Unionist community at large.

I cannot understand how anyone can say that a bad result should never spoil even one night because surely no-one would have us believe that they go to watch Hibs because they just 'like to watch a good game of football' and the result is not important.

I am not suggesting we all wear black after a defeat (Hell, Leith would look like an outdoor Cure concert every weekend) or smash windows on the way home or break bottles over someones head in the Cowgate, but it is important. That is why people give up their hard earned cash every week, some travelling long distances to do so (suckers comes to mind ), why people ensure their kids wear a Hibs top before they are on 'solids', why we come on Hibs.net to even make comments saying it's not that important! And tell me that on a certain day in Dundee in 1986 Albert Kidd's 'heroics' should not have evoked despair in Gorgie and elation in Leith.

Run or ruin? Of course it should not run your life but it certainly can ruin my day and I confess I still sometimes think 'How the hell did we manage to get ourselves relegated?' and I feel a residual anger.

If a 5-1 humiliation in the Cup by them can't ruin my day then conversely would it not be just as ludicrous had we won 5-1 for it to have made my day! Somehow I don't think I would have been looking at myself in the mirror asking 'Why am I so happy with this result?'.

I can understand more the mood of fans who have or are near to giving up because it seems the club have given up and ironically they are giving up because it is important to them and it does spoil their day/weekend/week so it is easier for them to not have to actually watch the . If it did not spoil their day then they could just happily watch another desperate and futile performance and whistle a merry tune on the way home.

Of course it is more than a game. That is why Ulster lads like Ivan tell us that 'for the rest of his life his blood will run green', or Franck put's his hand to the Hibs badge over his heart, or why 'there is class, first class and Hibs class', or why Griffiths chooses to go to Hibs games on his days off, or why Pat Stanton celebrates his 70th at Easter Road.

Indeed I think you have it the wrong way round. A 16 year old would not know any different and might think 'Haven't Hibs always been crap?', whereas the older ones know differently and it is the older ones who have had to watch our steady decline and find it depressing, in a football perspective and so give up. As I said, should it run your life? certainly not. But does it 'spoil' my weeekend after a defeat to Alloa, or QoS and look at us 3rd bottom in a lower divsion while those s***s from along the road sit atop the division, unbeaten? You bet it does!!!
    Superb post, SFH, 10/10. You've captured the essence of what being a football fan is about.

Best post I've read on here for a long time.

"There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfranhibs View Post
    yes, i feel really ashamed having not smiled my way along gorgie road, congratulating them, sharing some banter, enjoying a glass of champagne the night of our cup final humiliation.

I must write a letter of apology to the hearts board and also send a copy to the scotsman to share my regret with the loyalist/unionist community at large.

I cannot understand how anyone can say that a bad result should never spoil even one night because surely no-one would have us believe that they go to watch hibs because they just 'like to watch a good game of football' and the result is not important.

I am not suggesting we all wear black after a defeat (hell, leith would look like an outdoor cure concert every weekend) or smash windows on the way home or break bottles over someones head in the cowgate, but it is important. That is why people give up their hard earned cash every week, some travelling long distances to do so (suckers comes to mind ), why people ensure their kids wear a hibs top before they are on 'solids', why we come on hibs.net to even make comments saying it's not that important! And tell me that on a certain day in dundee in 1986 albert kidd's 'heroics' should not have evoked despair in gorgie and elation in leith.

Run or ruin? Of course it should not run your life but it certainly can ruin my day and i confess i still sometimes think 'how the hell did we manage to get ourselves relegated?' and i feel a residual anger.

If a 5-1 humiliation in the cup by them can't ruin my day then conversely would it not be just as ludicrous had we won 5-1 for it to have made my day! Somehow i don't think i would have been looking at myself in the mirror asking 'why am i so happy with this result?'.

Of course it is more than a game. That is why ulster lads like ivan tell us that 'for the rest of his life his blood will run green', or franck put's his hand to the hibs badge over his heart, or why 'there is class, first class and hibs class', or why griffiths chooses to go to hibs games on his days off, or why pat stanton celebrates his 70th at easter road.

Indeed i think you have it the wrong way round. A 16 year old would not know any different and might think 'haven't hibs always been crap?', whereas the older ones know differently and it is the older ones who have had to watch our steady decline and find it depressing, in a football perspective and so give up. As i said, should it run your life? Certainly not. But does it 'spoil' my weeekend after a defeat to alloa, or qos and look at us 3rd bottom in a lower divsion while those s***s from along the road sit atop the division, unbeaten? You bet it does!!!
    this 100%

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Try to put all things Hibs out of my mind til game day. The state of the club makes me angry.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    This is the sort of thread that should seriously worry the club. Apathy setting in to so many of us after countless boots in the baws
    This is exactly what I was thinking, if only the club read this thread they'd be really worried about so many fans not caring about a defeat the way they used to. But then again they probably wouldn't give a f***!!

Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
    Used to bother me, lots!! Whole weekends ruined because of a defeat..

Now I genuinely couldn't really care.

Have far more important things in life to be concerned or annoyed about
    Doesn't ruin my weekend ,but even at my age it can still cause a wee mood dip when we get beat and a feeling of elation when we win .Guess I still care .

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar

Best post ive read on here for yonks . Agree 100% .

Ggtth

I attend regularly, so I'm not a glory hunter.

I bask in a glow when we do well.

When we don't, I get angered at a poor performance, but then just laugh about it later. I couldn't do that when I was younger, but I've seen too much of life to let the fortunes of a football team dictate my mood.

I suppose the short term pleasure or pain of a result should be differentiated from the more long term feeling of despondency resulting from the overall downward trend of the past couple of years. It's this that dominates the feelings of any single result jut now for me. It's the constant concern regarding where we're heading and the direction of the club that bothers me most right now.

9.5/10 from me. The bit in bold is a bit unnecessary, IMHO, but other than that it's spot on

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    What's a newspaper? No wonder circulation is falling with Hibs poor form being the prime reason. Petrie's fault nae doubt!

Coaching Staff
    I am absolutely pi$$ed off with the current state we are in, and each further and expected defeat makes me even more ropable.

I'm afraid Hibs are turning me from a grumpy old man into a very grumpy old man.

I'd like to say it doesn't matter anymore etc etc, but it does and I can't

sanFran ....

Great post. Nicely written piece. GGTTH

Is it apathy from me ah dont know, I have almost given up, I havent even known whom our opponents were or the scores from the last 3 games, all I know is were at the foot of an amateur table, I almost gave up after the 5_1debacle, relegation, well, we all saw that train crash coming, been on the cards for years.Now with the custodians of our club seemingly not giving a flying one, why should I. I/we have followed them through thick and thin handed over our hard earned cash for absolutely no return. I really think we have lost a large part of the support that will never return, not being up their fighting before the end of the season will only give more supporters the excuse not tocome back. Problem is, even having new owners will not be enough to get them back, we really need new owners to heavily invest, having one or two businessmen put in a million each doesnt cover it. I fear for the future of the club, they really only have themselves to blame.

I personally used to let it bother me a lot. Not now. Worryingly for me? When we scored vs cowdenbeath with the last kick of the game I barely even celebrated

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    I know we didn't play yesterday but a look at the tables in this mornings paper had me shaking my head in despair.

I have seen it all on this forum now.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Hibs can make or break a weekend for me. If that means I have issues then I have issues.

@hibs.net private member
    I decided long ago that I wasn't going to let the fortunes of Hibs dictate my mood - lets face it though - not just me but all Hibs fans would have to be kept away from tall buildings and sharp implements most of our lives if we were to make that the sole arbiter of our feelings.

So, like any sensible Hibby I've found other things to give me joy in life. I'd be lying though, if I said the state of my football club has no effect on my morale at all - you just learn to compartmentalize it. The part of my life that is Hibs has been a source of far too much disappointment and not nearly enough joy and excitement in recent years and even if I've got other reasons to be cheerful, it still means I've got one less reason to have a skip in my step.

Ive locked the wife in a cupboard, sold the kids on ebay and i have the yam next door buried in my back garden so far this season.

nah but seriously for me it does affect my mood when we are not doing well as im sure it does for allot of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post

This.

Sevco 1-3 Hibs

Best Louis Armstrong voice: "And I think to myself what a wonderful world. Oh yeeeeeeahhhhh". I'm in a great mood :-D