hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member
    Surprised at the crowd - we were saying in the car on the way home we'd be surprised if there were 4 figures there. Reckon they counted both teams, bus drivers, ball boys, pie sellers, polis and the queue in the chippy to get 1800.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    What an unbelievably pointless thread.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With Stadium's our size - £5 - £10 at most.. !!

but hey ho lets price the poor man out..
    While i do agree that the price is getting out of reach for some folk, only 11 days ago we couldnt give tickets away for free.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    While i do agree that the price is getting out of reach for some folk, only 11 days ago we couldnt give tickets away for free.
    Exactly, it's not price that's keeping people away from Easter road.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    What an unbelievably pointless thread.
    Not really. I think most of us recognise that crowds in Scotland are poor. Hamilton had less than 2k for their early home games back in the top league. However, quite a few English towns which have non league teams have larger populations than many towns here - so its not that surprising they draw bigger crowds. It also opens up the debate as to how we can get more bums on seats. What would you suggest?

Certain teams in Europe have manged to get more people in by having standing areas where the admission is lower. This in itself does not guarantee either bigger crowds or revenue. Selling out the home sections at ER every home game with the ticket price £10 will only bring in £165,000, whereas if we sell 10,000 at £22 we get £220,000. If Hibs were to assign the FF upper for standing only at a cheaper price, how many paying £22 elsewhere in the stadium would make a bee line for the cheaper areas?
    The product on the park has to be the catalyst for any plan to increase crowds, and while I believe this is starting to happen, it will take time. We will never have the revenue of larger nations because of demographics and the fact that the rest of the world couldn't care less about Scottish football outside the OF.
    If we go back to the 70's and look at the league structure then, the crowds were larger and the product was much more entertaining. More teams brought through their own youngsters and then inevitably sold them onto bigger teams. For Scottish football itself, this really is a no brainer as our clubs competed at a very good level in Europe at that time. I put this down to the fact that with a larger league which you were never likely to win, you could afford to bring in youngsters against the smaller teams without worrying about relegation. This in turn led to a more attacking style of play, as opposed to the mind numbing drivel we have been served since the inception of the premier league.
    Basically, as long as we laughably think we can try to compete with what happens in England we will continue to fail miserably.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    We can throw figures and comparisons about all day, but I'm sure most of us will agree that top flight clubs only attracting a thousand odd fans does our game up here no favours.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    We can throw figures and comparisons about all day, but I'm sure most of us will agree that top flight clubs only attracting a thousand odd fans does our game up here no favours.
    What favours do we need? We have our own league system which is fine in it's own right. The leagues could be organised better for the enjoyment of all, but we will never have bumper crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Not really. I think most of us recognise that crowds in Scotland are poor. Hamilton had less than 2k for their early home games back in the top league. However, quite a few English towns which have non league teams have larger populations than many towns here - so its not that surprising they draw bigger crowds. It also opens up the debate as to how we can get more bums on seats. What would you suggest?
    A decent team on the park would be a start.

You can lower the prices/free ticket for a mate/free pie with a ticket offers etc all you want but the only thing that is really going to get the supporters back in the stadium on match days is a team that is enjoyable to watch.

A decent team on the park would be a start.

You can lower the prices/free ticket for a mate/free pie with a ticket offers etc all you want but the only thing that is really going to get the supporters back in the stadium on match days is a team that is enjoyable to watch.
    Agree to an extent but thats probably the most difficult thing to achieve - as we all know too well. I think the clubs here need to look at the pricing though based on whats on offer on the park. Lower the prices while improving things on the pitch and the crowds will flow back. Once the product is better the prices can increase - a bit. They are far too high currently.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    If Edinburgh has a population of circa 500k - explain to me why out last two home attendances have been circa 11k and 5k.

Would it be fair to say that Margate are doing a lot better than Hibs if we're equating the stats on a per-capita argument?

Margate are a side that would struggle to beat Bo'ness Utd yet still manage to pull in a decent crowd (considering that it's amateur football on offer for under a tenner).
    Most sides would struggle to beat Bo'ness ... What a team !

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    If Edinburgh has a population of circa 500k - explain to me why out last two home attendances have been circa 11k and 5k.

Would it be fair to say that Margate are doing a lot better than Hibs if we're equating the stats on a per-capita argument?

Margate are a side that would struggle to beat Bo'ness Utd yet still manage to pull in a decent crowd (considering that it's amateur football on offer for under a tenner).

What has that got to do with your original point, which was the allegedly poor crowd at Dingwall?

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Agree to an extent but thats probably the most difficult thing to achieve - as we all know too well. I think the clubs here need to look at the pricing though based on whats on offer on the park. Lower the prices while improving things on the pitch and the crowds will flow back. Once the product is better the prices can increase - a bit. They are far too high currently.
    Agreed, however it's never as black & white as that.

Take the Hibs support, for example; we've been dealing with sh*t being thrown at us as a support since Scott Brown & Rob Jones lifted the League Cup above their heads on 18 March 2007. The final in 2012 was the last straw for quite a few people and then relegation last season finished off a lot of others.

We sold off all the talent we had, which was always going to happen, but replaced them with total duds/free transfers. We never invested any of the transfer revenue into the playing squad, instead we built our own training centre and a new stand. This is all fair enough but I just think the spending should have been a bit more split between the infrastructure and the playing squad. That way, then we arguably would have been in a much better position than we are at the moment, football-wise. We wouldn't have had such a rapid decline and the support would not be totally scunnered as a load of people are just now.

It's all 'what if' as nobody can definitively say what would have happened if we'd prioritised the football side of things rather than the infrastructure but I don't think many people would disagree that we'd be in a better position than we're currently in.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Just back. 250 is about right. We got our reward.

Did you drive back in a tractor.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    What favours do we need? We have our own league system which is fine in it's own right. The leagues could be organised better for the enjoyment of all, but we will never have bumper crowds.
    Sponsorship of league and cup would be helpful, but right now the Scottish game is not an attractive proposition for sponsors.

Testimonial Due FastEddieFelson's Avatar
    top of the table clash, margate/maidstone

Take the Hibs support, for example; we've been dealing with sh*t being thrown at us as a support since Scott Brown & Rob Jones lifted the League Cup above their heads on 18 March 2007. The final in 2012 was the last straw for quite a few people and then relegation last season finished off a lot of others.

We sold off all the talent we had, which was always going to happen, but replaced them with total duds/free transfers. We never invested any of the transfer revenue into the playing squad, instead we built our own training centre and a new stand. This is all fair enough but I just think the spending should have been a bit more split between the infrastructure and the playing squad. That way, then we arguably would have been in a much better position than we are at the moment, football-wise. We wouldn't have had such a rapid decline and the support would not be totally scunnered as a load of people are just now.

It's all 'what if' as nobody can definitively say what would have happened if we'd prioritised the football side of things rather than the infrastructure but I don't think many people would disagree that we'd be in a better position than we're currently in.
    We prioritised the football side to the extent that we've had the fourth or fifth highest wage bill every year in the period that you mention, and three of the clubs ahead of us are Septic, Huns RIP/Sevco Huns and the bankrupt Yams.

The failing was not in how much we spent but in how we spent it. Too many crap managers signing too many crap players. Paying more money to duds wouldn't have helped us.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    Judging by the amount of NO voters Within our ranks on here they won't be taking Saltires through it will be Union Jacks and they'll be joining in with Rule Britania with their buddies from the West
    Scotland....? Don't you mean Northern Britain

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    By head of population I think we are one of the best supported leagues in Europe. At one time we definitely were when the the likes of Raith and East Fife could attract 20000 on occasion .

Good post, totally agree.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    Judging by the amount of NO voters Within our ranks on here they won't be taking Saltires through it will be Union Jacks and they'll be joining in with Rule Britania with their buddies from the West
    On the other hand with Glasgow voting yes all the Saltires will be I'n their end and they will be singing o flower of Scotland lol

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    The way you've accepted what happened last Thursday without being bitter or whining like a six-year-old girl who has been told to out her loom bands away has been really inspiring.
    LOL to the loom band reference.

TBH we've never been a team for UJ's, I would have no issue with Saltires, and nobody should see them as any more than say a West Ham fan taking a St George's cross to a game.

I have a Hibs Green Saltire that gets unfurled for big games.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

TBH we've never been a team for UJ's, I would have no issue with Saltires, and nobody should see them as any more than say a West Ham fan taking a St George's cross to a game.

J
    I have to say that the green CCS union jack was a great looking flag.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Did you drive back in a tractor.
    No but the bus got stuck behind a few
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

J
    My 15ft green and white saltire was in the stand behind the goals, clearly seen on the tv :D
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.