hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Tonight's Attendance

Just to put Scottish football into prospective a bit - tonight's attendance at Ross County was 1,819.

The attendance in the Ryman Premier League tonight at the Margate vs Maidstone match was 2,306.

Not sure what point I'm actually trying to make, but it's a sad day when a Ryman League match gets a higher attendance than a competitive Scottish fixture.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Margate population - 40,000

Dingwall population about 6.000 which would make it roughly the same size as Haddington. Demographics is why we have low crowds here, it's nothing to do with enthusiasm, or love of the game. How far apart are the respective grounds?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just to put Scottish football into prospective a bit - tonight's attendance at Ross County was 1,819.

The attendance in the Ryman Premier League tonight at the Margate vs Maidstone match was 2,306.

Not sure what point I'm actually trying to make, but it's a sad day when a Ryman League match gets a higher attendance than a competitive Scottish fixture.
    Was there a match played in the Rymans where the teams were separated by hundreds of miles?

Oh and it doesn't seem like our match was competitive.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Population of Margate - 57,000
    Population of Dingwall - 5,000

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Poor crowd at Margate then. They should be aiming for around 18000?

First Team Regular erin-go-bragh87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    Margate population - 40,000

Dingwall population about 6.000 which would make it roughly the same size as Haddington. Demographics is why we have low crowds here, it's nothing to do with enthusiasm, or love of the game. How far apart are the respective grounds?
    This. I might have made this up but were Caley not the best supported team in terms of percentage of attendances to the local population a couple of seasons ago??

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    I understand the small populations and distance stuff, but it is sad to see on the TV, vast areas of empty seats in almost all Scottish matches. some games look as though there is hardly anyone there at all! I do think it is a problem, but how is it solved?

Quote Originally Posted by erin-go-bragh87 View Post
    This. I might have made this up but were Caley not the best supported team in terms of percentage of attendances to the local population a couple of seasons ago??
    In the EPL most teams have a catchment area of at least a million which more or less guarantees crowds of 50k or more. Using this figure as a base, Edinburgh should entice about 25k fans to respective games and Ross County should get roughly 250 people per game, so yes, they are indeed punching above their weight.

@hibs.net private member
    Aside from population - Margate to Maidstone 44 miles (approx 57 mins)
    - Edinburgh to Dingwall 168 miles (approx 3h 20 mins)

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiglet View Post
    Aside from population - Margate to Maidstone 44 miles (approx 57 mins)
    - Edinburgh to Dingwall 168 miles (approx 3h 20 mins)
    That's a fair point.

And as the OP said, not sure what his point was But it has been put to bed.............

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campe...ileiro_Série_A

Shocking stats given the size of the cities over there.
    Partly working men priced out the game I understand shutting parts of the stadia where folks use to stand. I wonder who's introduced subscriptions AND pay per view for the Classicos...?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Poor crowd at Margate then. They should be aiming for around 18000?
    If Edinburgh has a population of circa 500k - explain to me why out last two home attendances have been circa 11k and 5k.

Would it be fair to say that Margate are doing a lot better than Hibs if we're equating the stats on a per-capita argument?

Margate are a side that would struggle to beat Bo'ness Utd yet still manage to pull in a decent crowd (considering that it's amateur football on offer for under a tenner).

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    If Edinburgh has a population of circa 500k - explain to me why out last two home attendances have been circa 11k and 5k.

Would it be fair to say that Margate are doing a lot better than Hibs if we're equating the stats on a per-capita argument?

Margate are a side that would struggle to beat Bo'ness Utd yet still manage to pull in a decent crowd (considering that it's amateur football on offer for under a tenner).
    Maybe Hibs need to drop the price?

@hibs.net private member
    There was about 250-300 Hibees

I've no idea how Margate are doing nor do I care but it's hard to imagine they could be doing worse than Hibs.
    :-(

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Look no further than the scourge of Scottish football for an explanation.

Brighton is about half the size of Edinburgh but attract crowds roughly equal to Hibs and Hertz combined on a good week. The difference is that they have no top class competition within 50 miles and lots of people living within that catchment area. The only viable alternatives are the London clubs, which are expensive.

Edinburgh also has to compete with the attractions of the sectarianism on offer in Glasgow....and let's face it, there are plenty of people on the eastern side of the country for whom this is a major draw

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeewilly View Post
    Hopefully a lot more travel through to Glasgow on Monday night with Saltire in hand.

Well done the fans that travelled up tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by E/Port_Hibee View Post
    I understand the small populations and distance stuff, but it is sad to see on the TV, vast areas of empty seats in almost all Scottish matches. some games look as though there is hardly anyone there at all! I do think it is a problem, but how is it solved?
    Wigan v Ipswich last night was like a morgue, Watford game lunchtime kick off on Saturday saw thousands of empty seats as well. Even with all the money sloshing around in the English leagues I think crowds are noticeably down across all divisions. Combination of TV games and extortionate prices to blame IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Maybe Hibs need to drop the price?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeewilly View Post

With Stadium's our size - £5 - £10 at most.. !!

but hey ho lets price the poor man out..

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stax View Post
    Wigan v Ipswich last night was like a morgue, Watford game lunchtime kick off on Saturday saw thousands of empty seats as well. Even with all the money sloshing around in the English leagues I think crowds are noticeably down across all divisions. Combination of TV games and extortionate prices to blame IMO.
    I do wonder why clubs don't adjust their ticket prices, or give incentives to get more bums on seats (or trainers on terraces). Fill the seats and you sell more food, drink, programmes, home shirts etc etc. Plus people sat at home see a fuller stadium, better atmosphere etc and are more likely to tip up on a saturday afternoon themselves.

I also think that if you could watch the match with a pint again that would bring people back.

Quote Originally Posted by E/Port_Hibee View Post
    I do wonder why clubs don't adjust their ticket prices, or give incentives to get more bums on seats (or trainers on terraces). Fill the seats and you sell more food, drink, programmes, home shirts etc etc. Plus people sat at home see a fuller stadium, better atmosphere etc and are more likely to tip up on a saturday afternoon themselves.

I also think that if you could watch the match with a pint again that would bring people back.

Stop talking Sense and think of the Balance Sheet!!!!..

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Hopefully a lot more travel through to Glasgow on Monday night with Saltire in hand.

Judging by the amount of NO voters Within our ranks on here they won't be taking Saltires through it will be Union Jacks and they'll be joining in with Rule Britania with their buddies from the West

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    Look no further than the scourge of Scottish football for an explanation.

Brighton is about half the size of Edinburgh but attract crowds roughly equal to Hibs and Hertz combined on a good week. The difference is that they have no top class competition within 50 miles and lots of people living within that catchment area. The only viable alternatives are the London clubs, which are expensive.

Edinburgh also has to compete with the attractions of the sectarianism on offer in Glasgow....and let's face it, there are plenty of people on the eastern side of the country for whom this is a major draw
    Brighton might be a bad example as a significant proportion of it's population is far more interested in flower arranging than football.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Just back. 250 is about right. We got our reward.

Left by mutual consent!

If we are doing it on pro rata voting statistics, there will be one third more Hibs fans with a Union Jack in hand than a Saltire,i would without a doubt only carry a Scotland flag, although not to a Hibs game but most certainly never voted YES..

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    Judging by the amount of NO voters Within our ranks on here they won't be taking Saltires through it will be Union Jacks and they'll be joining in with Rule Britania with their buddies from the West
    The way you've accepted what happened last Thursday without being bitter or whining like a six-year-old girl who has been told to out her loom bands away has been really inspiring.

All the other games were about half of what a league game between the same teams would get, that's the League Cup for you, until possibly the Semis. You can't really compare the per capita to individual English teams at any level. Half of England don't support just Chelsea and Man U for example, much more competition. The appetite for football is greater in Scotland per capita by overall population, unfortunately the vast majority support 2 teams. Agree it's depressing.

Local derby, top of the table clash. Both teams are miles ahead.

FC Halifax Town once pulled in a crowd of over 4000 at the same level. Margate will be back at their usual crowd of say under 500 the next home game.

Bet some crowds in the league cup in England were awful tonight.
    Cougars!!!

[QUOTE=H18Y GW;4180901]If we are doing it on pro rata voting statistics, there will be one third more Hibs fans with a Union Jack in hand than a Saltire,i would without a doubt only carry a Scotland flag, although not to a Hibs game but most certainly never voted YES..[/

Why take a Scotland flag or a Union Jack to the game? It's a hibs game ffs, take a Hibs flag and use your saltire to dry your eyes

I have no real idea where Margate is and care even less. I wonder however how many bus loads of bigots and glory hunters leave every Saturday to support some distant team?