hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good luck to him, but I'll judge him on his time playing in our side. Occasionally pulled something out the bag, but more often than not was anonymous. Wasn't sad to see him go.

Won't be the last player to underwhelm at Hibs then go on to do well. In the same way David Stephens won't be the last person to underwhelm at Hibs then go on to do *****.
    To be fair, although Barnet isn't that high a level he's been there POTY the last 2 seasons.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    It's because we're fundamentally flawed as a football club and as a business. The amount of players who could have done well here who didn't mostly comes down to the managing of them whilst they're here; they don't have the correct players around them, they're not in the correct position, they style of play doesn't suit their attributes and they don't have the appropriate assimilation into the club as it's already on a negative and downwards trajectory. It's part bad recruitment and part bad squad building.

Collins could've scored a barrowload had he the service in a style that suited him, rather than doing a terrible Leigh Griffiths' impersonation (Fenlon should've adapted to Collins' strengths, instead he clearly did the complete opposite).

Heffernan's legs are gone - in order for him to do anything of remote merit, he needs one or two fast dynamic players creating and serving the ball to him on a plate. He does not have the legs to play the running game and is a lost cause unless he has the support in attack.

These are just two examples of players who could do a job in football but can't at our club as everything's set against their attributes. They can't adjust as they're not talented enough and this is the level that we are at.

Other examples are Harris being the main attacking outlet when he obviously isn't ready for that and laterally stifling his confidence to an all time low, Stanton on the wing, Handling on the wing, Craig and Robertson in holding midfield roles and both cancelling each other out of the game when they should have someone doing the holding role for them (Stevenson). There's are just a few examples of how you can get the little things wrong and it can cost you your job and damage your reputation.

The club itself have reinforced this climate of mediocrity over the last 6-7 years and it's became second nature to this club; quick fixes (manager changes, 'marquee' players who're past it) that try to cease the bleeding whilst the blood loss rises and continues to flow and towers above the plaster and inevitably envelops it. That's why we're relegated and that's I'm up at midnight on a Tuesday on a tangent of overwrote nonsense annoyed about how my great club is ****ed at the hands of baboons dressed as blazers!
    Cracking post and cuts right through to what the main problem is imo.

We have a limited budget - that we know. But the budget we have absolutely has to be spent in the best possible way, so we have to have a clearly defined playing style with players brought in - none of whom will be the finished article - who can carry out the role that is required of them instead of our usual "square pegs round holes" nonsense.

FWIW I think Stubbs and Dempster realise this and have started to address it. It will take a lot more than one transfer window to undo 7 years or so of misdirection though.

It's a shame that it's this year of all years that we've decided to try and get our house in order with so much pressure to get out of a very difficult league at the first time of asking. It would have been much better to spend this year as a transitional year pottering about in the middle of the premier league looking to push on in future.

Always thought Doyle would get bags of goals down south.When he played with us he took up really good positions but of course Griffiths rarely gave him the ball.His second goal against Motherwell down the hill was first class.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    When you look at who replaced Doyle i.e. Collins and Vine you have to say it was a shocking decision to not offer him a decent deal. Fenlon must have known LG was leaving so to let your strike force leave was nothing short of mental.
    Doyle was raw however he had talent and was often overshadowed by LG.

Good luck to him.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Good player, good attitude, bags of potential - went somewhere else to develop it and will push on again I feel, bit like Clayton Donaldson.

Hibs pre Stubbs never has felt like a place with a strategy for developing players and using them in the best way. Too many knee jerk decisions and awful short term journeymen brought in by out of their depth managers.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    When you look at who replaced Doyle i.e. Collins and Vine you have to say it was a shocking decision to not offer him a decent deal. Fenlon must have known LG was leaving so to let your strike force leave was nothing short of mental.

Good luck to him.
    Yip when you release a player you have to replace him with better. When you sell someone you know that is more difficult.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post

Good luck to him.
    Aye in hindsight thats easy to say. Though, given that we went out and bought Collins, I think its safe to say we thought we were bringing in better than Doyle.

I liked him - wasn't Messi but better than some of the poor strikers we have had over the years.

He always gave his all - scored a reasonable amount of goals and also scored an important goal against Falkirk in that semi.

Good to see him doing well as seemed a good guy.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Aye in hindsight thats easy to say. Though, given that we went out and bought Collins, I think its safe to say we thought we were bringing in better than Doyle.
    Putting together a football team is still an inexact science and every club has made similar mistakes.

The worry at Hibs is the sheer number of mistakes we've made in recent years.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1992 View Post
    Eoin scored a hat-trick tonight, as he did at the weekend. He has scored 10 goals in 7 league games.

Always liked him as a player and delighted to see him banging them in at a decent level. His team currently sat 4th in League One. Was a bit disappointed when he left us but unsure of the reasons why.

He wasn't Hibs class.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    He wasn't Hibs class.
    I'm glad we got rid of him, and replaced him with the other guys, you know, whatshisname, and the otherone, who have either gone as well or we haven't been able to get rid of them but they haven't scored as many goals - recent Hibs class sadly.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1992 View Post
    Eoin scored a hat-trick tonight, as he did at the weekend. He has scored 10 goals in 7 league games.

Always liked him as a player and delighted to see him banging them in at a decent level. His team currently sat 4th in League One. Was a bit disappointed when he left us but unsure of the reasons why.

How many times has this happened with ex Hibs players? Remember Willie Pettigrew?

The deal Hibs offered him was that bad that the players originally thought he was taking the piss. When they found out he wasn't a few started to worry about their own contracts that were up for renewal.

For the record I didn't rate the guy, sometimes players score in different leagues I just don't think the guy could cut it at SPL level. Maybe he's matured a bit and will end up doing alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    The deal Hibs offered him was that bad that the players originally thought he was taking the piss. When they found out he wasn't a few started to worry about their own contracts that were up for renewal. For the record I didn't rate the guy, sometimes players score in different leagues I just don't think the guy could cut it at SPL level. Maybe he's matured a bit and will end up doing alright.
    I think Eoin played second fiddle to Leigh and regardless of what he did was sometimes seen as not good enough.

FWIW I liked him, had a good attitude and work ethic. Yeah maybe he has matured. I watch a lot if the football league and he appears to be part of a team that play to each others strengths.

Good luck to the lad.

The deal Hibs offered him was that bad that the players originally thought he was taking the piss. When they found out he wasn't a few started to worry about their own contracts that were up for renewal.

For the record I didn't rate the guy, sometimes players score in different leagues I just don't think the guy could cut it at SPL level. Maybe he's matured a bit and will end up doing alright.
    Didn't I read on here that one of our former assistant managers thought he was a pub team player?

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar

He could have earned the same working in retail almost. That's what I remember hearing anyway

Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    He could have earned the same working in retail almost. That's what I remember hearing anyway
    Prob more in retail that's how low the offer was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Didn't I read on here that one of our former assistant managers thought he was a pub team player?
    Was that our assistant that the players called the taxi driver or our assistant that should have been a pub team manager(Billy Broon)?

Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    Was that our assistant that the players called the taxi driver or our assistant that should have been a pub team manager(Billy Broon)?
    BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    BB.
    Cheers. Admittedly Billy Broon wouldn't know a good player if one jumped out and slapped in his angry wee coupon

Just scored for Chesterfield

Left by mutual consent!
    Need him to get another trick, got C'field to win!!

Incredible.

Always liked Doyle, will remember him for the absolutely screamer he scored at Pittodrie and the goal against Falkirk, never celebrated a goal as much as that in my life!

There must be a good chance he will score more goals himself than the entire Hibs team do this season.

Sir Matt Busby

Scored another 2 today. 8 goals in his last 3 games.

Blog Entries
    I thought Doyle was a ray of sunshine when he was with us. I had the p!ss ripped out of me when I used to talk him up and it's no consolation to be proved right. He should never have been allowed to leave ER.