hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent!

Good trades to learn/Apprenticeships?

Really want to learn a trade but unsure of what to do. Anyone one here a tradesman that could recommend anything to me? I've had a go of plumbing and really liked it. Always wanted to try plastering for some reason. But I'm open to everything.

Cheers guys.
    Last edited by BOB MARLEYS DUG; 16-09-2014 at 04:00 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Served my time as a joiner, though not on the tools now.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    All trades are good trades. Brickies and roofers are more at the mercy of the weather than most others. Plasterers and painters can often end up being rushed at the tail end of a job where other trades have fallen behind but the completion date remains the same. If I had to make a choice I'd go for being a joiner. My dad was a shopfitter (or shoplifter as I said when I was wee) and that's pretty cool too, although everything is against the clock.

Never had a go at it myself, how about prostitution though?

Stand outside the bbc building in London, you'll be fine. ;-)

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Spark.

Pissed me off daily but there's plenty work and it pays well.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    I served as a mechanic and loved it, but the thing you want to grt into is computers.

If your computer savvy id look at an it infrastructure apprenticeship, once served therebis a lot of money to be maid.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I served as a mechanic and loved it, but the thing you want to grt into is computers.

If your computer savvy id look at an it infrastructure apprenticeship, once served therebis a lot of money to be maid.
    Yeah. To be honest, I'd be really interested in an office job doing basic admin etc. The only thing is, I don't have any admin experience but feel as if I could learn quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    Yeah. To be honest, I'd be really interested in an office job doing basic admin etc. The only thing is, I don't have any admin experience but feel as if I could learn quickly.
    An office job doing basic admin! You said in your op that you wanted to learn a trade which is it trade or admin job?

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Get into the funeral business, laddie - the baby boomers are starting to drop off the cliff like lemmings.
    Seriously!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    An office job doing basic admin! You said in your op that you wanted to learn a trade which is it trade or admin job?
    Prefer a trade obviously, but the guy suggested computers... Which may be an option.

Have you approached the CITB that's how I started. Good place to look mate.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Never had a go at it myself, how about prostitution though?
    The apprentice years apparently are the best paid.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    You need to think about what you want. office admin will get you in the door of an office, but if its a hands on techy job It Infrastructure apprenticeship is good to get. Failing that if your interested in fixing computers 1st line support is a good stepping stone, most places will take you on with no experience and train you on the job. Once your in a service desk (resetting passwords and basic trouble shooting to start with) you can climb pretty quickly. If you also lucky to have your work put you through courses ITIL and six sigma are good to have, it can open many doors into mangement, team leader, problem management type roles etc

I started with a company doing new user requests/It procurement called Atos Origin, decent company to work for but based in livingston.

I get emails daily about these types of jobs so will ping you a PM later on when i get a sec of some things that might interest you

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    You need to think about what you want. office admin will get you in the door of an office, but if its a hands on techy job It Infrastructure apprenticeship is good to get. Failing that if your interested in fixing computers 1st line support is a good stepping stone, most places will take you on with no experience and train you on the job. Once your in a service desk (resetting passwords and basic trouble shooting to start with) you can climb pretty quickly. If you also lucky to have your work put you through courses ITIL and six sigma are good to have, it can open many doors into mangement, team leader, problem management type roles etc

I started with a company doing new user requests/It procurement called Atos Origin, decent company to work for but based in livingston.

I get emails daily about these types of jobs so will ping you a PM later on when i get a sec of some things that might interest you
    Cheers mate. Top man, greatly appreciated!

Cheers mate. Top man, greatly appreciated!
    Have you had any success?

@hibs.net private member hibby19's Avatar
    If you're looking at more practical trades then Scottish Power are taking applications for craft apprentices. I'm currently in my first year with them and I'm loving it.
    ".....Hearts midfielder Laryea Kingston insists he can fulfil all his dreams at Tynecastle - by winning the SPL and a European trophy.
    The Ghanaian is certain the Jambos will soon become a major power at home and abroad"