hibs.net Messageboard

Threaded View

At the time of the Butcher appointment I was against it on principle. To me the whole thing stank of Old Firmery - Hey we're krap I know instead of developing our own guy let's find a smaller club with less resources than us and hoy their manager hey while we're at it let's hoy the whole management team as well hey job done...

But if I hadn't been opposed to it on principle I would have been opposed to it on common sense grounds. There are maybe two managers on the planet who have a consistent record of success. The other 99.99% have careers like yoyos. The idea that you can bring a guy in and have any level of confidence that he'll repeat any previous success is a total gamble. And Butcher's career wasn't even a yoyo - it was one of these flatlining ECGs in a TV hospital series that suddenly give a blip before they die.

I shudder to think how many hundreds of thousands of pounds the whole Butcher fiasco will have cost us by the time it's played out. Only a complete idiot would have thought it was a sensible idea for a club with Hibs' meagre resources to bet the farm on a guy with a record like Butcher's...

Step forward, The Great Helmsman.
    Last edited by Nailrodders; 03-09-2014 at 10:07 PM.