hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Hartley

Testimonial Due
    I'm glad mcpake is gone. He was decent in his loan spell with us, but I think we made him out to be a lot better than he actually was. Once he got the permanent deal he was a different player, didn't seem interested... When he wasn't out injured of course.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I still don't get how TB was allowed to punt them only for him to get punted. What if Stubbs would have liked to keep any of them.
    On a side note, nice to see McPake and Leigh swapping shirts after todays game.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    McPake made some terrific block tackles in his time at ER. They were however usually because he had not done well enough with his first touch.average at best. Leader? Possibly but decidedly average.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    If we wanted to talk about and then demonstrate a true wind of change then maybe we should have thought about appointing Hartley as manager?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ive read this post with interest and cant help but smile at some of the comments directed at McPake and Thomson especially.

Are these not the same two players who were slagged off so much on here last season? Yes we need leadership in our team right now and McPake had shown that leadership on more than one occasion when he has led the team to victory. I believe he was fit and Butcher could not admit he was wrong in leaving him out hence the defeated run we went on.

Thomson was always a good captain of Hibs and never let us down. Butcher on the other hand thought better of it and took it off him and gave it to Craig.

I dont have a gripe against Craig accept that he is not in MY opinion a Hibs captain. there are many reasons why and i think you all know most of them?

It may be also that when these players are away from the pressures and anxieties of the Hibs support they begin to flourish away from all the tension and foul mouthed abuse they are subjected too.

Just goes to show just how much promise is being stifled by the negativity at Easter Road
    There's only so far you can go with that line. I've often been very critical of the kind of fan who's idea of supporting the club is to shout gems of wisdom such as "**** off" and "you're *****" at whoever they see as least deserving of the Hibs jersey they are wearing.
    BUT - throughout the relegation debacle and the pishy start to the season we have since been treated to, the Hibs support from what I've seen has been a model of patient understanding, encouragement and forebearance. They have been IMMENSE and the team on the park and all those running the club have a hell of a lot to do before they have proven that they deserve to be associated with such a great support.

The negativity at Easter Road has been caused directly by the lack of winning football on display - change that and you will change the atmosphere as well - overnight!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    McPake made some terrific block tackles in his time at ER. They were however usually because he had not done well enough with his first touch.average at best. Leader? Possibly but decidedly average.
    Oh for the heady days of decidedly average players.

Aye apparently McPake was fit for last 10 weeks if the season yet Butcher still thought Nelson and McGivern were better options. The guy should have been sacked for that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    There's only so far you can go with that line. I've often been very critical of the kind of fan who's idea of supporting the club is to shout gems of wisdom such as "**** off" and "you're *****" at whoever they see as least deserving of the Hibs jersey they are wearing.
    BUT - throughout the relegation debacle and the pishy start to the season we have since been treated to, the Hibs support from what I've seen has been a model of patient understanding, encouragement and forebearance. They have been IMMENSE and the team on the park and all those running the club have a hell of a lot to do before they have proven that they deserve to be associated with such a great support.

The negativity at Easter Road has been caused directly by the lack of winning football on display - change that and you will change the atmosphere as well - overnight!
    Hear hear. The negativity exists in the minds of far too many players at our club. It is infectious, just in the way that confidence and positive attitude is. I was hoping with so many players leaving the club we could introduce an entirely new clutch not tainted with the ghosts of the past.

If we were to win the next game at Easter Road 5-0, we would be delighted, if we kept following up with good results and performances the fans would be delighted and vocal on match day. Then lets say we beat Hearts by say 3 or 4 goals in the next Derby, we would be buzzing and the players would be put on a pedestal. The fans can let this horror go far easier than the players it appears.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalkeith Hibee View Post
    Aye apparently McPake was fit for last 10 weeks if the season yet Butcher still thought Nelson and McGivern were better options. The guy should have been sacked for that alone.
    Aye and we are still paying him and his sidekick. The only person i hate more than that pair is Petrie.

@hibs.net private member
    Who were the ITK guys that said mcpake was injured and career over again?

Mind mcpake coming out slating them in the papers.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Hartley on tv just now saying McPake has been a rock in defence since signing, this the same McPake who said he was fit for weeks and couldn't get a game for us when Butcher was in charge, how we need him now.
    I really liked McPake.

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Aye and we are still paying him and his sidekick. The only person i hate more than that pair is Petrie.
    Totally agree. Those 3 are the reason we are here and why it will take years to repair if we can at all.

Interesting that Thomson continues to be constantly injured.

Well said. Hibs problems are on the pitch, and in the boardroom, not in the stands.

It just seems so glaringly obvious to me.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    There's a guy in our office referees and runs the line in the u20s. He saw McPake playing about 3 weeks before the end of last season and stated he was completely unfit and couldn't run.

There's a big difference between wanting to play and being able.

That said I thought he'd be in for the play-offs simply due to his leadership. If he's unfit he may not have over stretched and dived into tackles he'd no need to.

Was glad he signed - that was a calculated risk given he came to us with a back problem. So either he wasn't up to it or we were training him the wrong way.

I wish him all the best but reckon he'll be injured before the send of September.....

If you had read the full meaning of the post without jumping out of your chair you would have noted that i was speaking in the past tense.. no?

The Hibs support has been tremendous since the start of the season except for the boo boys against Falkirk, & those that walked out on them at the Dumbarton game.

I was adding a thought, not a fact that maybe the negativity when playing at ER was a bit hard to handle on the players and when they went elsewhere they played better without the hostile atmosphere greeting them every home game.

I want a winning team too but this post was not about what is happening at Hibs but about the previous players.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I still don't get how TB was allowed to punt them only for him to get punted. What if Stubbs would have liked to keep any of them.
    On a side note, nice to see McPake and Leigh swapping shirts after todays game.
    This exactly. You look and see Mcpake and Taiwo doing well at their new clubs whilst we are stuck watching Liam Craig shame the captain's armband week in week out. Allowing Butcher & Malpas to decide which players left or stayed only to sack them days later was a disgraceful piece of club management and in any other business would be a sackale offence.

Hibs are an embarrassment of a football club just now and it is the supporters who have to take the flak and who continue to dip into their pockets only to be shafted repeatedly. Shame on the board.

Promising Youngster
    Mcpake single handley kept us up first season .
    Last season he took a barrowluad of abuse from this site as he was playing with an injury .
    If butcher hadn't feed him the fans would have hounded him out .
    He's enjoying his football now

Promising Youngster
    Freed him even !

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Mcpake was always a better player when not in the team and now he's gone. When he was in the team he was poor. Commendable attitude and desire on the pitch, but woefull reading of the game and positioning, with his last ditch tackles more often than not to cover up his other failings.

All my opinion of course.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Good attitude and a good captain but injury issues a concern and think he was more keen to play than able to... Sadly don't expect to see him having long spells free of injury at Dundee.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by malagahibby View Post
    Mcpake single handley kept us up first season .
    Last season he took a barrowluad of abuse from this site as he was playing with an injury .
    If butcher hadn't feed him the fans would have hounded him out .
    He's enjoying his football now
    No he didn't (keep us up single handedly) - it showed how low we had sunk that it took a loanee we had never really heard of, who played for a bit for the jersey and a contract, to galvanise the squad. The goals of Leigh, Doyle and GOC kept us up, simple as that - we were still shipping goals at the back.

McPake can do one - last season he went awol when we needed a captain to come out regularly to galvanise the support - for me he put his self before Hibs, his troubles with Butcher before the club - he seemed more interested in a bloody vengabus than our relegation battle.

He got paid well - he should have 'enjoyed' his football at Hibs - he occupied the physio room for most of it, got suspended a lot, had a few decent games, captained us in a humiliating cup final defeat, limped off in a hugely embarrassing Euro humping, talked up his Celtic heroes in a live TV chat as Hibs captai . That is McPake's Hibernian career. Forgettable I would say