hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Spirits/Ghosts

Left by mutual consent!

Spirits/Ghosts

Quite a random thread choice, I know. I have recently been watching a lot of "Ghost Adventures" on the TV channel "Really".

Which got me thinking... Do any of you believe in spirits/ghosts or the spirit world? If so, why and have you ever seen a ghost or spirit? I'm 50/50 in regards to things like this, I would never ever want to see one though!

If any of you have had paranormal experiences, please share, would love to read them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

A story from April 2009 about a night in the now closed Coopers Rest written at the time.

My wife and I went out for a late drink last night and went round the corner to the Coopers Rest. It was quite busy when we arrived but after a while there was just me, my wife, the manageress, another lassie and an off duty barman, Chris.

We, my wife and I, had been up to Mary Kings Close earlier in the week and were telling them all about it. Now I don't believe in anything that's not proven so tales of wee girl ghosts and all that don't impress me much, I was an unbeliever.

The other girl Heather told us of the ghost in the Coopers. A woman ghost, coincidently called Mary, who rattles and smashes glasses; opens and closes doors; move things about. She comes and goes from the pub through a wall that used to be the door to the snug. You get the idea. I am, as usual, unimpressed but there's a chill that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand.

Our senses were becoming super sensitive; every creak, rattle or thump was put down to Mary and the lights were turned down low, gosh it really made me scared! NOT!

Anyway as a reward for my bravado I was invited down to the cellar, the bar had run out of red wine for my wife, and off Chris and I went. I'm a nosey type. Not all the lights were on so it was a bit shadowy.

There was no red wine where the red wine should be and Chris asked if I wanted to see the rest of the place. Ok.

Chris opened another door and then we went through some big plastic room divider things.

The door shut behind us.

Chris asked me why I had shut the door, I hadn't.

He looked shocked, more so when there was something behind the door that wouldn't let him open it again without a major bit of effort.

Once the door was opened we could see that a spare door that had been propped up against the wall had fallen behind the open door making it difficult to open. Despite the fact we were no more than 10 feet away neither of us had heard the door shut or the other door fall. They didn't hear anything upstairs either.

Spooky eh?

When I was down there I had taken about a dozen photos on my phone. I got upstairs and looked but there were only 3 in the album and unusually the album was not at the last picture but 4 or 5 from that picture.

Convinced Mary was about we sat quietly waiting for the next thing to happen.

The bar was dark apart from the street lights coming through the windows.

Now I'm normally quite an observant chap but hadn't noticed a bookies pen that was now in front of me on the bar. As I leaned forward it rolled it off the bar. It clattered the draining board, well as much as a bookies pen can, rolled off and then on the floor. Heather nearly ***** herself!!!!

It was late, the bar was shut, we went home.

I'm now not the sceptic I was when I left the house, and by the way, I only had 3 pints!!
    Space to let

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quite a random thread choice, I know. I have recently been watching a lot of "Ghost Adventures" on the TV channel "Really".

Which got me thinking... Do any of you believe in spirits/ghosts or the spirit world? If so, why and have you ever seen a ghost or spirit? I'm 50/50 in regards to things like this, I would never ever want to see one though!

If any of you have had paranormal experiences, please share, would love to read them.
    No. There is no evidence that ghosts exist therefore I don't believe in them. Their existence is as likely as the existence of witches and monsters.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I'm sure there was a similar thread on hibs net sometime ago. It had some blood curling tales on it - maybe a sober person can dig it out of the vault.

Someone told me they saw a ghostly apparition going by the name of Kerr in our midfield a few years back. Im still sceptical, mind.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by <3Morrissey View Post
    No. There is no evidence that ghosts exist therefore I don't believe in them. Their existence is as likely as the existence of witches and monsters.
    There may be no scientific evidence but enough people including myself have experiences that may prove otherwise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    There may be no scientific evidence but enough people including myself have experiences that may prove otherwise.
    I would imagine it's psychological.

EDIT: If there is no evidence, it doesn't prove anything.
    Last edited by Stranraer; 31-08-2014 at 02:31 PM.

I would imagine it's psychological.

EDIT: If there is no evidence, it doesn't prove anything.
    The experience is evident enough to the people involved, never a great believer myself to be honest, but can't find any other explanation.

Blog Entries
    The experience is evident enough to the people involved, never a great believer myself to be honest, but can't find any other explanation.
    I'll believe it when there is evidence, until then I take the view that the human mind can play great tricks.

I'll believe it when there is evidence, until then I take the view that the human mind can play great tricks.
    That's fair enough, each to their own. I have the experience as evidence so I believe it.

Do episodes of rentaghost count as evidence of spiritual beings?

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    Do episodes of rentaghost count as evidence of spiritual beings?
    Some people who watched Rent a Ghost just saw a blank screen others actually saw ghosts spooky eh!

I had a few episodes of sleep paralysis a couple of years back.

Scary stuff that had me right at the Doctors. During episodes I was always convinced there was something in the room with me, always a cloaked figure that resembled the accepted figure of death.

I'm convinced a lot of people who think they have encountered a ghost have actually experienced sleep paralysis.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Some people who watched Rent a Ghost just saw a blank screen others actually saw ghosts spooky eh!
    Nice try...

..but I ain't afraid of no ghost.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Scary stuff that had me right at the Doctors. During episodes I was always convinced there was something in the room with me, always a cloaked figure that resembled the accepted figure of death.

I'm convinced a lot of people who think they have encountered a ghost have actually experienced sleep paralysis.
    It's terrifying isn't it? I suffered it for a few weeks and it was the scariest thing I've ever gone through in my life. There was always a dark figure in the corner of my room and I was like a zombie - coupled with sweats and a sore chest it was just awful. Seroquel stopped it thankfully.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?2...58#post3922658

Does twacarpets still post here? Popcorn at the ready!

Edit: link to old thread above.
    Last edited by The_Exile; 02-09-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Why is it when people have experiences they can't explain they immediately turn to the supernatural?

Why is it when people have experiences they can't explain they immediately turn to the supernatural?
    Human nature, unfortunately.

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    If ghosts exist, why do they only come out at night? Could it be that is when people are more likely to misinterpret what they see, coupled with humans natural fear and distrust of the dark and tiredness (and possibly booze!?!). Throw in all the ghost stories we have all been subjected to in our lives and the fact that some people just want to believe as well.

If they do exist, why do they feel the need to hide away in dark dingey places? Why don't they hang out in nice places in the day? Why are there never any ghost "sightings" in KFC at lunch time, or whilst you are buying shoes, or in a busy pub?

Also, why are ghosts all from the olden days, they are all from at least 100 years ago? You never hear of a new romantic ghost, or a punk, or one in a shell suit do you? Is there a big waiting list for ghosts and our great great grandchildren will all he haunted by Emos and Beliebers!?!? ;):D
    Last edited by over the line; 31-08-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I've had 2 experiences of that this year and it is genuinely terrifying. The first was bad because of it being the first known case I had experienced, the 2nd was more so awful cause of the actual content of the 'dream'. Honestly a brutal condition that I hope I don't get again.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Im very sceptical of ghosts and a major non believer once told me, why is it only dogs or humans who are ghosts? I ask what he meant and he siad how come there has never been any sightings of a elephant, squirell, bird, fish etc etc ghost but only ever a dog barking or a human? he had a point i thought

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Im very sceptical of ghosts and a major non believer once told me, why is it only dogs or humans who are ghosts? I ask what he meant and he siad how come there has never been any sightings of a elephant, squirell, bird, fish etc etc ghost but only ever a dog barking or a human? he had a point i thought
    A sighting of a pink elephant in Scotland is as likely as the existence of ghosts, lucky there is no evidence for either.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    My mum received a missed call from my uncle's mobile at 11am on 11/11 a few years ago. My uncle had died several years before and his mobile number had long since been deactivated.

When I was younger both my mum and I used to see a dark shadowy figure in the hall way.
    Last edited by overdrive; 03-09-2014 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post

ah, the bogey man!

Nope, there are no ghosts. Complete delusion imho.

People, when you pop your clogs, you pop your clogs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    ah, the bogey man!

Nope, there are no ghosts. Complete delusion imho.

People, when you pop your clogs, you pop your clogs.
    What happened to the belief that your soul travels to heaven, hell or purgatory depending on your behaviour!!??

What happened to the belief that your soul travels to heaven, hell or purgatory depending on your behaviour!!??

There is no heaven. There is no hell. There is no purgatory.

Your "soul" travels nowhere.

There are, however men with beards.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    There is no heaven. There is no hell. There is no purgatory.

Your "soul" travels nowhere.

There are, however men with beards.
    I agree and I am one of them (guy with a beard)