hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Heffernan turns down St Johnstone move

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...ving-1-3523159

Paul Heffernan has knocked back the chance of a quick-fire return to the Premiership to play his part in Hibs’ battle back to the top flight, boss Alan Stubbs revealed today.
    St Johnstone, seeking to beef up their strikeforce after top scorer Stevie May’s £800,000 move to Sheffield Wednesday, made an enquiry about the 32-year-old hitman, pictured. It is understood a two-year deal and a higher wage were on offer but the much-travelled Heffernan, a surprise signing by former manager Pat Fenlon when he was released by Kilmarnock last summer, gave them short shrift – much to Stubbs’ delight. The head coach said: “Paul did not want to go. He said he loves it here and wants to stay and fight for his place. I’m happy with that, it’s really great for the club’s point of view and mine that we have players who do not want to leave.
    “It tells you that maybe we are doing something right.”

Saints have now turned to Dundee United’s Brian Graham, with the striker set to agree a one-year loan deal at McDiarmid Park.
    Stubbs also disclosed he’s hoping to make further additions to his squad before the transfer window closes on Monday, former Bristol City captain Liam Fontaine having become his sixth signing of the summer only hours before the defender made his debut in the dramatic League Cup win over Dumbarton.
    The 28-year-old came in to replace veteran stopper Michael Nelson, who moved to Cambridge United after being told he couldn’t be guaranteed a starting place, but today Stubbs insisted any further arrivals wouldn’t be dependent on others leaving. He said: “We are very active behind the scenes, looking at who is available but we’ll have to wait and see.”

Meanwhile, Hibs chief executive Leeann Dempster will host a series of three meetings with fans next week as wide-ranging discussions with supporters regarding the future of the club get underway.

Around 200 fans will have their say each night – Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday – with Dempster promising that “nothing is off the table,” as she expects the debates, being held with the full backing of club owner Sir Tom Farmer, to cover topics such as club ownership, fans’ representation on the board and membership schemes.

Dempster revealed the Hibs directors have been working on the future face of the club for some time and insisted the talks with fans are not as a knee-jerk reaction to the Forever Hibernian campaign being spearheaded by former player Paul Kane or the rejected takeover bid by David Low and his consortium.
    She said: “I don’t expect anything will be sorted in two weeks or two months. These will be major changes in direction when we do take them.”
    Last edited by Mikey; 28-08-2014 at 11:44 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indeed. Would have told him he'd be training with the kids and not part of plans.

Assuming Stubby la' planned to replace him.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Good. The big question mark over PH is his fitness but if that improves then he can score a barrowload of goals in this league.

Doesn't look like Stubbs wants to let him go ... Must see something we don't .. Also says a lot about Heff not running away ?

On the one day that I'm in a good mood, this comes out. I'm ****ing miserable now.

He's not been very good for a while now. But if he wants to stay so he can fight for his place and try help us recover from the mess then I'm more than happy. A bit of commitment and wanting to play for the badge and not just for money is what we've lacked in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Good. The big question mark over PH is his fitness but if that improves then he can score a barrowload of goals in this league.

I keep reading that but I'm not convinced. How many of the chances he's had has he put away so far?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Maybe after a payout as he's still under contract, or looking for something a bit nearer home

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Maybe after a payout as he's still under contract, or looking for something a bit nearer home
    Or maybe he is saying it as it is . .... Surprise surprise someone tells the truth . I hope he comes good and makes all you doubters eat your words !

Interesting that heff would turn down a move to St Johnstone, I do think hevis a good player but perhaps injuries have been a problem also he has very little pace!

To make a proper impact on this division we need a strong squad one that will be capable of competing inthe premier unfortunately I think we are still a bit away from this, we will see aaas there is still a few days of the transfer market left??

Think it's fair to say we've not seen the best of Heffernan. I remember he scored in back to back games against St Johnstone and St Mirren and has really struggled with injury since then. Whether or not he is capable of getting back to full fitness is debatable, he certainly looks way off the pace so far this season.

It felt like a deal that would have been beneficial for both parties as sometimes a player just doesn't click at a club and it would have allowed Heffernan to move to a decent SPFL side and would have freed up a wage for us to get another striker in.

Feel pretty disappointed that he has chosen to stay but will obviously give him support and hope that he proves me wrong.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs7 View Post
    Doesn't look like Stubbs wants to let him go ... Must see something we don't .
    If that was the case would we have let him speak to them when we were getting brussel sprout in return?

He'd have been happy to free up another wage.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We need to get rid of duds like this so that Stubbs can bring in players to improve the squad. Not good news.

This is good news IMO, he'll score goals at this level and we're a bit light up top as it is.

@hibs.net private member
    He has a decent scoring record playing in a division higher than we are in at the moment and St Johnstone, a top 6 SPFL club fancy signing him. I think you need differentiate 'Dud' from 'player yet to hit form this season'. We seem to be making a habit of getting rid of 'duds' that go on to be regulars for better teams than Hibs.

Tin hat on here....

His finishing last Saturday was woeful and a major part in us going on to lose the game and after all scoring is the main thing that strikers are paid to do.

I actually thought his play was otherwise excellent in the first half. He has a good touch and when he dropped off I thought he played an integral part in getting Booth and Kennedy involved down our left and helping to get us into positions to create the chances that we ultimately missed.

I always hated playing against him when he was at Killie as he seemed a clever player that got into good positions to cause us problems.

I wouldn't be against him staying but we've definitely not seen the best of him at Hibs. I worry that he's another of those players tainted so much by his association with our relegation that our fans just aren't going to give him a fair crack of the whip, unlike Stubbs who seems to be able to judge players on merit.

Gutted.

He has been a failure and should go. If there is a 1 in 1 out policy then this is terrible news.

Craig, Robertson and OTJ fall into this bracket. Harsh on Robertson as he gives 100% but they have failed to improve us. These 4 must go with 4 replacements: A striker, A playmaker, A holding midfielder x2.

He wants to stay,he's not hiding, it would have been the easy option to run

Glad Heff is staying. I still reckon he's the best finisher we have although he has missed a few in the games he's played to date this season. He's not been alone there though. Hoping the new fitness coach can have a positive impact on him.

I, for one am pleased with this news, Heff has proven he can score goals given service. No, he won't pick up the ball at the half-way line, dribble past the entire defence and score from 20 yards, that is not his forte, he will however thrive on balls played across the penalty box, be in the right place for Farids knock-downs, poke the ball home in a "goalmouth stramash", takes all types of player to make a team. Good to see a player not jump ship just because there is more money on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Tin hat on here....

His finishing last Saturday was woeful and a major part in us going on to lose the game and after all scoring is the main thing that strikers are paid to do.

I actually thought his play was otherwise excellent in the first half. He has a good touch and when he dropped off I thought he played an integral part in getting Booth and Kennedy involved down our left and helping to get us into positions to create the chances that we ultimately missed.

I always hated playing against him when he was at Killie as he seemed a clever player that got into good positions to cause us problems.

I wouldn't be against him staying but we've definitely not seen the best of him at Hibs. I worry that he's another of those players tainted so much by his association with our relegation that our fans just aren't going to give him a fair crack of the whip, unlike Stubbs who seems to be able to judge players on merit.
    Totally agree bud.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Glad Heff is staying. I still reckon he's the best finisher we have although he has missed a few in the games he's played to date this season. He's not been alone there though. Hoping the new fitness coach can have a positive impact on him.

So you reckon he is a better finisher than Farid who has scored 4 in 5 games? Heffernan has hardly managed that!

I'm not having a go and respect your opinion but surely Farid is proving to be a better striker?

Edit: according to Wiki Heff has 4 in 20 appearences.

Quote Originally Posted by Paloschi View Post
    So you reckon he is a better finisher than Farid who has scored 4 in 5 games? Heffernan has hardly managed that!

I'm not having a go and respect your opinion but surely Farid is proving to be a better striker?
    And how many good chances has Farid also blown? I do think he's a better finisher. Farid is a better all round player. Imo of course.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    And how many good chances has Farid also blown? I do think he's a better finisher. Farid is a better all round player. Imo of course.

Fair do's!

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    There is more than a question mark about his fitness. I'm struggling to think of an aspect of his game which hasn't got a question mark on it.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He's been a complete failure from day 1, there may be mitigating circumstance but deary me we need much more than what he offers.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    On the one day that I'm in a good mood, this comes out. I'm ****ing miserable now.
    I would take what has been said with a pinch of salt. I would assume given his record in England lower league teams will be options also. Lets see if he is still here after Monday, I think he wont be. In many ways I think he has played the last 2 home league games to be put in the window for a move.

More money in a higher league and he says no.

Nightmare, We could have used his wage for a decent forward.

Needs a goal to get going, he hasn't had much luck but gets himself into good positions and could easily score 15 this season if he can stay fit. Has also shown he can have an impact from the bench in the past so is certainly worth keeping around.