hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Boo Boys

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We also lost at HOME to Falkirk.

Not trying to prove a point either way but just saying.
    Quite right Trig, but looking at our results so far this season, I would argue that that result is an exception to the overall rule of the point I was making.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    So basically, we have LOST:

AWAY to Rangers
    AWAY to Hearts
    AWAY to Alloa

We have WON:

HOME against Livingston
    HOME against Dumbarton

But according to a good number on here, it`s the negative attitude of many fans at ER which is contributing to our poor results.

How about the Falkirk game at home,(selective amnesia)? That was the game that caused me to start this thread. It looks as though you either do or don't boo the players. A case of you pays your money and makes your choices. I really don't see the point in booing players who are neither capable nor good enough to be Hibs players. It surely isn't their fault that they aren't good enough, lots of people get paid for doing a crap job. You need to look at who gave them the job, if some twat offered me a shed load of dosh to traipse around ER I'd do it. These guys may be brilliant in the Third Division or **** hot for Auchterarder Primrose everyone has a level. If someone gives you the chance at a higher level it's human nature to take it till your found out.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pmackinnon2004 View Post
    How about the Falkirk game at home,(selective amnesia)? That was the game that caused me to start this thread. It looks as though you either do or don't boo the players. A case of you pays your money and makes your choices. I really don't see the point in booing players who are neither capable nor good enough to be Hibs players. It surely isn't their fault that they aren't good enough, lots of people get paid for doing a crap job. You need to look at who gave them the job, if some twat offered me a shed load of dosh to traipse around ER I'd do it. These guys may be brilliant in the Third Division or **** hot for Auchterarder Primrose everyone has a level. If someone gives you the chance at a higher level it's human nature to take it till your found out.

Peter
    I acknowledged the Falkirk game when Trig pointed it out to me (see above). It doesn`t change the fact that our results away from home this season (3 defeats in 3 games) have been worse than our results at home (1 defeat and 2 wins), suggesting that it is not the case that Hibs playing in front of their own fans at home is a disadvantage because the crowd are not supportive enough. The results bear that out. It`s a very straightforward and clear point I am making.

The rest of your post seems to be an acknowledgement that many of our current team are not good enough and goes on to suggest that this is not their own fault, therefore we shouldn`t let them know what we think when they let us down. I find that a very strange argument. Are we meant to shrug our shoulders meekly after yet another defeat, smile and say "ach well, the lads on the park aren`t very good are they, so there`s no point in getting upset about it"?

To be clear, and as I haven`t stated this on the thread before now, I agree that booing or shouting abuse at our own players during the game doesn`t help anyone and I am dead against it. Personally, I have never booed Hibs players during a game. Ever. But I do think that if a performance has been really poor, as many have been of late, and if the players have let the playing public down, then the fans have the right to express that at the final whistle.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    See the last sentence of my last post above.

Regarding your question in bold above, what is it you are suggesting? Are you saying any views expressed by other supporters that you don't approve of shouldn't be allowed? How do you propose it (booing and/or criticising players) should be stopped?

PS: I'm not saying booing is good, or condoning it. I'm just saying that it happens, especially whenever a team is playing badly and getting beat week after week, and I understand why it happens.
    Absolutely not. My opinion is that booing the team is wrong, it doesn't help the team in any way and is more likely to aid the opposition but others seem to think it's OK. That's their opinion and their entitled to it and to express it, just as I am entitled to mine and to express mine.

My point earlier was simply what was written, no hidden messages. You say our fans are no better and no worse than any others. That may be right, it may be wrong, however being no worse than the rest is not a particularly high target to set yourself is it? If the board came out with that as a target for the team we would be going mental and quite rightly so. I don't know how to stop the boo boys, asking politely doesn't work, giving reasoned (again in my opinion) arguments doesn't work so perhaps suggesting that we aim to be better than the rest might.

As someone said before it's small margins and if positive crowds can help Olympic and Commonwealth Games athletes produce personal best performances surely the same could work for Hibs? I've never heard anyone say their own fans booing encouraged them to perform better.

Todays performance was one of the worst I have witnessed from a Hibs team in many a year and in fairness to those at the game there were relatively few boos or negative shouts directed at individual players. Of course I can understand the frustration and I'm not saying it's easy to channel that frustration to encourage rather than criticise but our team needs all the help it can get just now.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    The rest of your post seems to be an acknowledgement that many of our current team are not good enough and goes on to suggest that this is not their own fault, therefore we shouldn`t let them know what we think when they let us down. I find that a very strange argument. Are we meant to shrug our shoulders meekly after yet another defeat, smile and say "ach well, the lads on the park aren`t very good are they, so there`s no point in getting upset about it"?
    I think the point that is being made is that the players may indeed not be good enough but if they are the best we have and their playing to the best of their ability the fault lies with the people who brought them to the club and those that play them not with the player. If the Hibs manager wants to sign me, give me £3k a week and ask me to play right wing for Hibs I'd play. I wouldn't be good enough (by a long way!) but is it my fault or the managers fault that I am on the pitch?
    Last edited by Mikey; 31-08-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Fixed quotes

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    If the stadium was empty we'd still be losing. We are football fans no different or any more or less fickle than any other teams fans. Anyone who thinks WE the fans are to blame for the team playing poorly, please open your ****ing eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by portyhibernian View Post
    If the stadium was empty we'd still be losing. We are football fans no different or any more or less fickle than any other teams fans. Anyone who thinks WE the fans are to blame for the team playing poorly, please open your ****ing eyes.
    Couldn't agree more. Not one for booing players but they are the ones paid well to represent our club and do the business.

Players react differently to being either booed or shouted at from the stands, Griffiths for instance decided to shut up the boo boys by playing better and scoring goals and when he did, he gave them all the GIRUY sign which he got into trouble for. Personally that's the type of player I want at ER, one who says sod you lot, I'll show you what I can do and shuts up the boo boys with actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    Absolutely not. My opinion is that booing the team is wrong, it doesn't help the team in any way and is more likely to aid the opposition but others seem to think it's OK. That's their opinion and their entitled to it and to express it, just as I am entitled to mine and to express mine.

My point earlier was simply what was written, no hidden messages. You say our fans are no better and no worse than any others. That may be right, it may be wrong, however being no worse than the rest is not a particularly high target to set yourself is it? If the board came out with that as a target for the team we would be going mental and quite rightly so. I don't know how to stop the boo boys, asking politely doesn't work, giving reasoned (again in my opinion) arguments doesn't work so perhaps suggesting that we aim to be better than the rest might.

As someone said before it's small margins and if positive crowds can help Olympic and Commonwealth Games athletes produce personal best performances surely the same could work for Hibs? I've never heard anyone say their own fans booing encouraged them to perform better.

Todays performance was one of the worst I have witnessed from a Hibs team in many a year and in fairness to those at the game there were relatively few boos or negative shouts directed at individual players. Of course I can understand the frustration and I'm not saying it's easy to channel that frustration to encourage rather than criticise but our team needs all the help it can get just now.
    I take on board the points you are making, but we could debate this point until the cows come home and never entirely agree I suspect. I've posted repeatedly on this point and I'm bowing out on this now.

At the end of the day Hibs problems are on the pitch, and in the boardroom, not in the stands IMO. The fans have done as much as could reasonably be expected.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Players react differently to being either booed or shouted at from the stands, Griffiths for instance decided to shut up the boo boys by playing better and scoring goals and when he did, he gave them all the GIRUY sign which he got into trouble for. Personally that's the type of player I want at ER, one who says sod you lot, I'll show you what I can do and shuts up the boo boys with actions.

Most of our squad are feared of there own shadow, we need players like Griffiths who won't be affected by some booing, yes i know he reacted the last time it happened but so what, it didn't affect him on how he performs on the pitch. Mental toughness, something our players are lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post

Most of our squad are feared of there own shadow, we need players like Griffiths who won't be affected by some booing, yes i know he reacted the last time it happened but so what, it didn't affect him on how he performs on the pitch. Mental toughness, something our players are lacking.
    See, I knew we'd agree about something sooner or later

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    See, I knew we'd agree about something sooner or later

It had to happen some day.

Quite right Trig, but looking at our results so far this season, I would argue that that result is an exception to the overall rule of the point I was making.
    I know, I just wanted to cause a bit of mischief!

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    I know, I just wanted to cause a bit of mischief!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Are you saying our predicament is all the fans fault?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Are you saying our predicament is all the fans fault?

Just not going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Could someone pin this to Liam Craig's locker to illustrate how not to behave towards referees? Didn't surprise me that he got booked for dissent yesterday.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    @rowanvine: “@danielwhite1875: @rowanvine strikers are needed at Easter road, you fancy it?? #signthevine”why not..loved hearing those boos every game

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    @rowanvine: “@danielwhite1875: @rowanvine strikers are needed at Easter road, you fancy it?? #signthevine”why not..loved hearing those boos every game
    Good to see he's moved on anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    St mirren fans gave their players boos and pelters after goals 2 and 3 at the weekend. And that was against a decent dundee utd side

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Maybe the boy should have specified strikers that can actually score goals