hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Craig and Robertson

There is a lot of abuse aimed at these two on here but for me they are not the main problem we have. The two of them worked their socks of today.
    The real problem is the three players in front of them. Can anyone honestly say that these three worked their socks off? Not a single chance created amongst them. No work rate during the game. No tracking back. Nothing. They hid the whole game making sure they didn't make a mistake.
    Failure to sign a proper attacking midfielder could see Stubbs go the same way as Fenlon.

2. Log in to remove the advert

We should go for Higginbotham, think he is what we need

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is a lot of abuse aimed at these two on here but for me they are not the main problem we have. The two of them worked their socks of today.
    The real problem is the three players in front of them. Can anyone honestly say that these three worked their socks off? Not a single chance created amongst them. No work rate during the game. No tracking back. Nothing. They hid the whole game making sure they didn't make a mistake.
    Failure to sign a proper attacking midfielder could see Stubbs go the same way as Fenlon.
    Harris living off a few games at the end i=of the previous season/Stanton living off some decent displays last season and Handling off some decent diplays for the U20's but can we honestly think playing these 3 young lads will be the success to our season.

Harris shows glimpses as does the other 2 but they all too often drift in and out of games which means you're playing 1 or 2 short during the game.

Harris really shouldn't be avfirst pick I think confidence is still a huge issue for him and while he did ok on the first he was nowhere in the 2nd.

Stanton again I questioned a few times if he was good enough but perhaps he is more effective through the middle. I would consider Allen and Kennedy perhaps use harris as a sub? bring on Cummings for handling.
    Could we go 4-3-3 even!!!

The whole team is crap!

Quote Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
    The whole team is crap!
    I disagree. I think it's this area that let's us down the most.

Quote Originally Posted by leggeto View Post
    We should go for Higginbotham, think he is what we need
    He was in the Hibs end today with Sean Welsh

First Team Breakthrough
    We have signed kennedy and allan as attacking midfielders. Also craig can play there. We do need a proper defensive midfielder though. Craig and robertson just aren't comfortable in that role.

Quote Originally Posted by macd123 View Post
    We have signed kennedy and allan as attacking midfielders. Also craig can play there. We do need a proper defensive midfielder though. Craig and robertson just aren't comfortable in that role.
    I quite like the look of Aaron Dora from ICT?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Harris living off a few games at the end i=of the previous season/Stanton living off some decent displays last season and Handling off some decent diplays for the U20's but can we honestly think playing these 3 young lads will be the success to our season.

Harris shows glimpses as does the other 2 but they all too often drift in and out of games which means you're playing 1 or 2 short during the game.
    We can't or shouldn't have two of them together in the same team , they offer nothing , Handling I can almost stomach as a player , the other two need a break as do the fans ..

Stubbs can now play his players , it's point proven for me

Both very good in the opening league game and both are good players. Hope neither are affected by the pathetic negativity on here and from the stands towards them they can kick on and have good seasons. Booing and moaning at the team only makes them worse, surely we have realized this by now?

Edit - As for the point in the OP. I agree, Harris is good but inconsistent, Stanton is never a winger and Handling is talented but can go missing. All could turn into very good players but we are relying on them way too heavily right now.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macd123 View Post
    I think they should be starting with Allan & Kennedy on Saturday. Drop maybe Handling and Stanton to the bench.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Both very good in the opening league game and both are good players. Hope neither are affected by the pathetic negativity on here and from the stands towards them they can kick on and have good seasons. Booing and moaning at the team only makes them worse, surely we have realized this by now?

Edit - As for the point in the OP. I agree, Harris is good but inconsistent, Stanton is never a winger and Handling is talented but can go missing. All could turn into very good players but we are relying on them way too heavily right now.
    Didn't hear any booing and moaning from the stand at Tynecastle yesterday. Absolutely no negativity whatsoever. It's not the fans at fault here. Our fans were fantastic again yesterday. After what we have been watching these last few years I resent also getting the blame for it.

I often wonder what age we should start expecting players to play like men, rather than boys! I often hear us talking about players not taking responsibility, drifting in and out of games, not tracking back etc etc.

Players that are that immature should not be anywhere near the U20s let alone the first team. In any other type of football these lightweight performances would not be tolerated.

Are we too soft?

For what it's worth. They are both not suited to the holding midfield roll the have been allocated by Stubbs just because they are supposedly more experienced. Robertson especially with a poor first touch can't deal with the ball in congested areas. But what ever way you look at it two players who were instrumental in our relegation last season played key rolls in our defeat today.

One thing is for sure this is a huge test for the board before the end of the transfer window. If they don't add at the very minimum one (should be 2) quality players they really are taking the piss out the fans and gambling on winning a spot in the playoffs.

As as usual we do our bit and they bleed us dry.

Robertson has never recovered from the injuries he had at Dundee Utd + his awful spell at Blackpool.

Think his failure in England has really shattered the lads confidence in his ability.

Could be here all day with Craig.
    A player who has only played for diddy clubs in the past and can't handle playing for a team that has more than a man and his dug turning up every saturday.
    Highest pressure games he'd be used to are St Johnstone v Dundee Utd/Falkirk v Pars. Bugger all compared to an Edinburgh derby.

2 players that should be emptied in this window but failing that, January.

Centre mid is a must before the window shuts imo.

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    The abuse Craig is getting is unmerited I think. His penalty miss was a shocker but apart from that he did okay. Robertson on the other hand is a bombscare. Suppose to be setting an example but his lack of discipline and composure both on and off the ball was terrible. He let himself, his team mates and the club down yesterday.

i agree with Ozy that the 3 players in front of these two need help. Stanton needs dropped, plain as. Harris will get there I'm sure and I'm prepared to be patient with Handling given his performance at Ibrox. But certainly he is on last chance saloon this season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron1875 View Post
    Robertson has never recovered from the injuries he had at Dundee Utd + his awful spell at Blackpool.

Think his failure in England has really shattered the lads confidence in his ability.

Could be here all day with Craig.
    A player who has only played for diddy clubs in the past and can't handle playing for a team that has more than a man and his dug turning up every saturday.
    Highest pressure games he'd be used to are St Johnstone v Dundee Utd/Falkirk v Pars. Bugger all compared to an Edinburgh derby.

2 players that should be emptied in this window but failing that, January.

Centre mid is a must before the window shuts imo.
    That wee diddy club that won the Scottish Cup, finished top half of the SPL and played in Europe? They were finishing above us and pumping us regularly with Liam Craig in the team. Craig and Robertson are both SPL standard players. it's unlikely we are going to be signing better players than them this season.

Didn't hear any booing and moaning from the stand at Tynecastle yesterday. Absolutely no negativity whatsoever. It's not the fans at fault here. Our fans were fantastic again yesterday. After what we have been watching these last few years I resent also getting the blame for it.
    Give it 15 minutes of the Falkirk game, if we aren't 2-0 up and cruising it will start. Moans and groans after the odd poor pass, panic if the opposition create a chance, abuse if someone isn't playing well. I understand the fans frustration but abusing players after only 3 games of a new season is pathetic and it isn't going to make them play better.

Give it 15 minutes of the Falkirk game, if we aren't 2-0 up and cruising it will start. Moans and groans after the odd poor pass, panic if the opposition create a chance, abuse if someone isn't playing well. I understand the fans frustration but abusing players after only 3 games of a new season is pathetic and it isn't going to make them play better.
    So your criticising people on something you think might happen?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    I often wonder what age we should start expecting players to play like men, rather than boys! I often hear us talking about players not taking responsibility, drifting in and out of games, not tracking back etc etc.

Players that are that immature should not be anywhere near the U20s let alone the first team. In any other type of football these lightweight performances would not be tolerated.

Are we too soft?
    If theyre not ready by the age of 19-20, then they'll never be ready. Stanton and handling have had quite a fair bit of time in and aroundthe 1st team now, as too Harris and they should be showing a lot more than they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    So your criticising people on something you think might happen?
    Are you telling me this doesn't happen every week? Livi last week was a perfect example, they had a few chances at the start of the second half and then scored. People started moaning at everything that happened, Stanton especially was getting crap where I sit for apparently ''selling the Rangers game and now this one'', Gray getting grief not ''going to him'' but instead backing off and waiting for the right moment to tackle. Our fan base has became so negative in recent years and while it is impossible to blame them it certainly doesn't help the players one bit.

Are you telling me this doesn't happen every week? Livi last week was a perfect example, they had a few chances at the start of the second half and then scored. People started moaning at everything that happened, Stanton especially was getting crap where I sit for apparently ''selling the Rangers game and now this one'', Gray getting grief not ''going to him'' but instead backing off and waiting for the right moment to tackle. Our fan base has became so negative in recent years and while it is impossible to blame them it certainly doesn't help the players one bit.
    Tbh I've not noticed it this season and I've been at every game so far. The support yesterday and at Ibrox was outstanding. The Livi game I heard a few shouts that we could do without and there was a noticeable rise in edginess after they scored, that was more than balanced by a lot more people trying to urge the team on with about 10-15 minutes to go.

I'd agree the last few seasons, arguably as far back as Mixu, haven't been great when it comes to the 'matchday experience' but thus far this season and even towards the end of last season I've notice an improvement. A lot of the stuff posted on here over the last 24 hours is frustration at another derby defeat, I think when people start to cool off a bit they will see that we are, admittedly slowly, starting to turn in the right direction and will get behind that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Team plays well, fans are happy. Team does badly, fans not happy.
    It's the same at all clubs. If it feels like it's been negative at Hibs for a while now it's because we have been consistently rubbish for a while now.

I admit to only watching the game via Sky Go but I thought the fans were great yesterday. I did not hear any negative shouts towards the players. This is how it should be.

Nicholson's goal was a gem but both Craig and Robertson could have prevented him getting the space on his left side. Did Nicholson actually nutmeg Robertson?

Robertson is 29 and Craig is 27. They are experienced SPL players. I cannot see them being replaced with anyone of equivalent experience. I will leave it to AS to sort out the midfield, maybe Hibs do not need both starting games against the smaller clubs in the division.
    Last edited by Turkish Green; 18-08-2014 at 10:47 AM.

I know its a bit dramatic but is it wrong that I'll never forgive Craig for last season?

I can't be the only one that thinks that surely. Every misplaced pass from him just seems so much worse than any other player.

Him leading the team out every week sickens me.

I know its a bit dramatic but is it wrong that I'll never forgive Craig for last season?

I can't be the only one that thinks that surely. Every misplaced pass from him just seems so much worse than any other player.

Very harsh. I think he's a decent player but no more. More than capable of being part of a team that takes us up but won't be a star player.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Tbh I've not noticed it this season and I've been at every game so far. The support yesterday and at Ibrox was outstanding. The Livi game I heard a few shouts that we could do without and there was a noticeable rise in edginess after they scored, that was more than balanced by a lot more people trying to urge the team on with about 10-15 minutes to go.

I'd agree the last few seasons, arguably as far back as Mixu, haven't been great when it comes to the 'matchday experience' but thus far this season and even towards the end of last season I've notice an improvement. A lot of the stuff posted on here over the last 24 hours is frustration at another derby defeat, I think when people start to cool off a bit they will see that we are, admittedly slowly, starting to turn in the right direction and will get behind that.
    Naturally at away games our fans provide a better more supportive atmosphere for the players, especially at places like Ibrox and the PBS but run of the mill league games can be a very miserable experience due to the negativity of elements of our support. Players like Craig and Robertson much be scared silly to try things in games because of how toxic Easter Road can become when things aren't going well, honestly all teams need to do is score an early goal and we are in trouble. This isn't meant to be me blaming the fans, just an observation of the negativity that is current surrounding the club and is translating onto the park. Our home form has been absolutely awful in recent years and I think this has a part to play in that.

I'll show up every week and support everyone wearing a Hibs strip on that pitch irrelevant to their performances last week, last season or 10 years ago. What did Craig do that was so shameful last season? He always have his best and scored 9 goals for us, he didn't ask to be captain and he is probably as sick as the rest of us about how the season went.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Personally I feel like handling has been a revelation in his current position. I think it is utterly astounding you have called him
    Up for his work rate yesterday. Felt like it was second to none.

He is linking up the play well in that position. He looks a completely different player from previous seasons.

Harris, never got fed very much yesterday but even then I feel
    Like he is also much improved. He is going into tackles and moving with the ball well at times.

Stanton has went off the boil. Maybe would be good to get him out the team for a wee while. I don't know what the best solution would be with him