hibs.net Messageboard

Preparing for playing with ten men against Rangers

There are very interesting comments from Robbie Neilson in today's papers saying that Hearts have, as part of their preparations for playing Rangers, been practicising playing with ten men.

I thought it was very clever of Neilson. On one hand he is actually preparing his side for a very likely scenario whilst on the other hand he is putting pressure on the referee not give soft decisions in Rangers favour like the Handling red card.

What's everyone's view on this? Should we have done this before Tuesday's game?

2. Log in to remove the advert

They've had players sent off in 3 of the last 6 games they've played at Ibrox, so maybe wise.

However, they've got the advantage of having Thomson as Ref this time.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hibee Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are very interesting comments from Robbie Neilson in today's papers saying that Hearts have, as part of their preparations for playing Rangers, been practicising playing with ten men.

I thought it was very clever of Neilson. On one hand he is actually preparing his side for a very likely scenario whilst on the other hand he is putting pressure on the referee not give soft decisions in Rangers favour like the Handling red card.

Managers should do training with teams down to 10 men anyway, so nothing unusual there. Id say its good management to make it public for this game in particular though, especially with us suffering from a dodgy decision at Ibrox in the same week.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    To be fair, maybe thomson will be under pressure from the new boys so he may well have to send off a yam to even things up. Nae way the new boys would ever settle for the 12 against 11 that the rest of us have to put up with when Thomson plays for the yam.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Most coaches with half a brain prepare for different scenarios. 10 players etc.

This is nothing new - just happens Neilson was asked about it and gave a response.

It's not just as simple as 10 players though as different positions getting sent off can have different scenarios plus depends when the sending off may occur and what the score is.

Shot across the bows from the Yams and not a bad attempt at pre match psychology.

It is a f£$%^&g disgrace that anyone needs to think along those lines, because refs in this country are so biased in favour of one team. I think its a smart move by Hearts to put pressure on the ref. No appeal from us for the sending off, what is that all about, who makes these decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by LeithBoozy View Post
    It is a f£$%^&g disgrace that anyone needs to think along those lines, because refs in this country are so biased in favour of one team. I think its a smart move by Hearts to put pressure on the ref. No appeal from us for the sending off, what is that all about, who makes these decisions.
    Utterly agree ....... Its time for this club to stop pussying about, a clear case for an appeal IMO ....... we should fight tooth and nail for stuff off the park as well as on it .............. Change of attitude Hibs remember ? ...... get a grip and FFS practice what you preach.

@hibs.net private member
    Does it not cost money to appeal if the ban is upheld? Also if it was upheld presumably we wouldn't have Danny available for the derby instead of losing him against Livvy. Maybe Hibs are better off picking and choosing their fights and even though it was the most ridiculous straight red most people will have ever seen, it might be good tactics to let it slide.

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    Does it not cost money to appeal if the ban is upheld? Also if it was upheld presumably we wouldn't have Danny available for the derby instead of losing him against Livvy. Maybe Hibs are better off picking and choosing their fights and even though it was the most ridiculous straight red most people will have ever seen, it might be good tactics to let it slide.
    But I thought it was a 2 match ban. Is it not Livi and then Hearts? Or is there a game in between and LD did not call me to let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDevil View Post

This is nothing new - just happens Neilson was asked about it and gave a response.

It's not just as simple as 10 players though as different positions getting sent off can have different scenarios plus depends when the sending off may occur and what the score is.
    What about coaches with a full brain?

Still was a nice little fig though as he said (if I have the quote correctly) that he is preparing to play with 10 men against Rangers. Just a nice little dig. In the grand scheme of things....very little but a little comment on the referees without putting himslef in a position where he can be pulled up for it.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Smart move by Neilson. Every club in Scotland should be doing this when they play Old Firm FC.

Don't be surprised if he's asked to explain his comments by the GFA.

Hertz can easily get around playing with 10 men by gifting TRFC 2 soft early goals and not looking dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    But I thought it was a 2 match ban. Is it not Livi and then Hearts? Or is there a game in between and LD did not call me to let me know.
    He automatically misses the next game [Livingston], the second game he misses is the next game we play in Petrofac Cup [hopefully never], so is available for the derby.

Smart move by Neilson to put pressure in the ref.

Testimonial Due
    Sounds like a Potter idea to me.

@hibs.net private member Off the bar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BH Hibs View Post
    Sounds like a Potter idea to me.

he's practised playing without a striker before so there could be something in that!

Quote Originally Posted by hoxtonhibby View Post
    he's practised playing without a striker before so there could be something in that!
    Haha :-)

Neilson will be sorry he said that when his team are down to 9 men on Sunday...

2 game ban, misses Livi and Derby

Quote Originally Posted by Deek9 View Post
    2 game ban, misses Livi and Derby
    He misses the Livi game and the next game played in the Petrofac Cup

I don't think he needs to put too much pressure on this particular referee.

Besides that, the Yaks have got the worst disciplinary record in Scotland over the last ten years as I posted yesterday.

Testimonial Due
    We were scunnered in this regard because we'd not long before made the positive change to bring Heffernan on and go for it, then Handling was sent off. I'm sure all teams prepare for these eventualities but agree with others that it's a good idea for Neilson to make it public this time.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDevil View Post

That rules Neilson out then
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by hoxtonhibby View Post
    It would bring a whole new meaning to his infamous 4-6-0 formation.