hibs.net Messageboard

3 or 4 players to be serious league contenders

Like many on here - encouraging sings last night - in a short space of time Stubbs and his coaching staff have managed to change our style of play and bring a balance to the team - making me still furious at how bad TB made us! It just shows - decent coaching staff can make a massive difference.

It's obvious we still need a few more signings though if we want to return to the SPFL.

I know it's a marathon and not a sprint but the first few games of the season will define us and give the players a psychological advantage to where we will end up this season - especially the derby.

I would like to see another right back or CB to challenge those playing there - we saw what happened when Hanlon was injured last season.

A holding midfielder who does the dirty work - Claros type - win ball and give to forward thinking players.

A creative midfielder - we have Craig / Stanton / Allan but I still think we need another to can do something out of the ordinary.

A wide player - we need to more creativity out wide - someone who can dribble 1v1 and go past players and set up chances while scoring the occasional goal.

If we get these players in I think we will challenge - if we don't I don't I think we will end up / settle for 3rd or 4th - this is still play off material but I think there is an opportunity to go straight back up if we are ambitious and strengthen.

Still a few more weeks before window shuts but I hope we address these areas.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    After last night I have no immediate concerns in terms of personnel, but we will strengthen further - no question.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDevil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like many on here - encouraging sings last night - in a short space of time Stubbs and his coaching staff have managed to change our style of play and bring a balance to the team - making me still furious at how bad TB made us! It just shows - decent coaching staff can make a massive difference.

It's obvious we still need a few more signings though if we want to return to the SPFL.

I know it's a marathon and not a sprint but the first few games of the season will define us and give the players a psychological advantage to where we will end up this season - especially the derby.

I would like to see another right back or CB to challenge those playing there - we saw what happened when Hanlon was injured last season.

A holding midfielder who does the dirty work - Claros type - win ball and give to forward thinking players.

A creative midfielder - we have Craig / Stanton / Allan but I still think we need another to can do something out of the ordinary.

A wide player - we need to more creativity out wide - someone who can dribble 1v1 and go past players and set up chances while scoring the occasional goal.

If we get these players in I think we will challenge - if we don't I don't I think we will end up / settle for 3rd or 4th - this is still play off material but I think there is an opportunity to go straight back up if we are ambitious and strengthen.

Still a few more weeks before window shuts but I hope we address these areas.
    I agree that's just about where we are

I would like to think we'll have another 1 or 2 in before the derby

Testimonial Due
    Agree with the thread title, never read the novel.

We did ok last night but that and our current squad will not be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Hibs View Post
    Agree with the thread title, never read the novel.

We did ok last night but that and our current squad will not be good enough.
    I like your Readers Digest abridged version.

We do need a couple of more players and though we might disagree about priorities I still think it is about scoring goals. I hope Cummings and El Alagui can do well at this level but it is hard to see how we are going to score consistently to allow us to be right at the top of this division.

Won't take much and my feelings are still that a loan from Everton might be our next move.

Come on Hibs....you know it makes sense. Go for it. A couple of astute signings and if we can continue to play like we did last night then we can challenge for the title.

@hibs.net private member
    Agree we need a few more players. Another striker priority and then a winger and a centre half.

Funnily enough, the OP didn't seem to mention the one player we need the most, a reliable goalscorer.

The type of players mentioned will help strengthen the team, which we need, but we desperately need someone that can finish. We had multiple chances last night that went a begging.

I think two or three signings we'll get. It's the Rangers who need a strikeforce. Miller/Boyd were no very good last night.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Funnily enough, the OP didn't seem to mention the one player we need the most, a reliable goalscorer.

The type of players mentioned will help strengthen the team, which we need, but we desperately need someone that can finish. We had multiple chances last night that went a begging.
    I do agree we need a goalscorer - I'm torn between creativity (setting up the chances) centrally and outwide and a natural finisher.

We have Heff - probably most natural finisher

Cummings - young - explosive / fast and unpredictable - impressive youth record

El Alagui - liked his efforts last night and will throw himself about - needs to link up with someone else though.

The stats show though we REALLY struggled with goals the last few years - LG dug us out of trouble and even Doyle chipped in a few.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Agree we need a few more players. Another striker priority and then a winger and a centre half.
    I thought we needed a centre half as I've never been forsters biggest fan but he was excellent last night and that'll be the toughest strikers he'll come up against. I'd be tempted just to keep him in there and let him develop.

I think other than that I'd say a forward that can also play on the wing and we might be ok.

Possibly a new left back but I wonder if we just left Lewis there if he might grow into a good left back, certainly got the attributes to make it there.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I thought we needed a centre half as I've never been forsters biggest fan but he was excellent last night and that'll be the toughest strikers he'll come up against. I'd be tempted just to keep him in there and let him develop.

I think other than that I'd say a forward that can also play on the wing and we might be ok.

Possibly a new left back but I wonder if we just left Lewis there if he might grow into a good left back, certainly got the attributes to make it there.
    Yeah, I'm happy with Lewis in there. We've also got Booth back which gives us cover there.

I was the same about Forster, but hopefully he can form a decent partnership with Hanlon this season. I was meaning more bringing in another one, incase of injuries as I simply don't think Nelson is good enough.

Priority has to be a forward yes, and if we can get one that can play on the wing too, that would be ideal.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    After last night I have no immediate concerns in terms of personnel, but we will strengthen further - no question.
    SR. Genuine question how do you see the team performing when suspensions and injuries kick I'n?

I think we will struggle with our second team players as we did for certain periods I'n the pre season friendly at East Fife. GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDevil View Post
    I do agree we need a goalscorer - I'm torn between creativity (setting up the chances) centrally and outwide and a natural finisher.

We have Heff - probably most natural finisher

Cummings - young - explosive / fast and unpredictable - impressive youth record

El Alagui - liked his efforts last night and will throw himself about - needs to link up with someone else though.

The stats show though we REALLY struggled with goals the last few years - LG dug us out of trouble and even Doyle chipped in a few.

Fair enough, but I'd be worried if AS sees Heff as the answer to our lack of goals. Just a personal opinion but I think we need someone better.

Oh and you are absolutely right about LG. What I would give for a striker like him this season. I think we would walk this league if we had him now.

@hibs.net private member
    We are as good as Rangers not sure where hearts will be so I don't agree on us being 3rd or 4th

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    We are as good as Rangers not sure where hearts will be so I don't agree on us being 3rd or 4th

I think we'll have a fair idea after this weekend. I actually have a feeling Hearts will hump them (sorry!)

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    SR. Genuine question how do you see the team performing when suspensions and injuries kick I'n?

I think we will struggle with our second team players as we did for certain periods I'n the pre season friendly at East Fife. GGTTH
    Realise it wasn't me you asked but imo as long as we don't get lots of injuries in the same position we've got quite a few versatile players that can cover various positions, I think on the wings we're maybe a bit short but then we've been practising playing with wing backs so if we ever were short we'd be able to tweak the system.

There's also youngsters ready to step in if needed.

I don't like the idea of bringing folk in to beef up the squad in case of injuries, I'd rather we had a small versatile squad.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

This for me is the crux of the matter. I doubt there us a budget for 3-4 more players but surely AS can see that a finisher is needed, especial;y from last nights performance.

Proven strikers do not come cheap but if AS expects Hibs to challenge for the title then he must dig deep into the market. These are not the type of players that can be picked up on a 6 months loan deal.

First Team Regular Heedersnvolleys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

As I gave said on another thread seeing Gray play makes me want a proper LB, I think it would help us greatly. First time in years we would have out and out RB and LB in those positions. As watch at the derby they will try attack down his side all day. By the way I like LS as a player.

Testimonial Due
    Wonder if last night spurs the board on to add more quality seeing how we did against a poor new rangers or will they think we'll go with what we have as we did alright.

Might still be a chance to get those 1000 or more season tickets sold proactively

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Green View Post
    This for me is the crux of the matter. I doubt there us a budget for 3-4 more players but surely AS can see that a finisher is needed, especial;y from last nights performance.

Proven strikers do not come cheap but if AS expects Hibs to challenge for the title then he must dig deep into the market. These are not the type of players that can be picked up on a 6 months loan deal.
    I think that's a bit harsh on el alagui. Yes he should've scored last night but he is a proven goal scorer in this division. You are judging his ability on 1 performance, would you take boyd/miller based on last nights performance?

I think another winger and centre half are needed. Nelson certainly isn't the answer and if Forster/Hanlon got injured, we would be in trouble. Hopefully Stubbs can find a winger with a bit of pace as apart from Harris, we severely lack pace in the team.

Left by mutual consent!
    We got beat by a poor sevco yet people are drooling, some ok stuff until the red but wake up we need a lot more if we are going to get a play off place

Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    We got beat by a poor sevco yet people are drooling, some ok stuff until the red but wake up we need a lot more if we are going to get a play off place
    It's not drooling it's called progress and being positive after a shocking season.

Some ok stuff... There were a couple of moves, one in particular that consisted of 20 plus passes and the shot went wide.

I thought we were excellent in stages and played very very well. Everyone knew their jobs, everyone wanted the ball and no one hid.

Even after the Red I thought we played the better football.

I think we sent out a message to our rivals last nite that we will play football and will be hard to beat.

It's also fair to day that I bet folk didn't expect us to play as good as we did.

I thought we played quite well and deserved to win the game, but whatever anybody on here says, an 18 player squad isn't big enough. There's all sorts of ifs and buts as regards switching players about, but somehow we do need to find at least 3 or 4 more decent players. Until we do, I'm afraid I have to remain as the devil's advocate and say we're still not quite strong enough, although that's certainly not Alan Stubbs' fault. I don't think we'll struggle in this league, but at the same time we just don't have the strength in depth at the moment IMO. Of course, I'll be very glad to be proven wrong.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post

I'd like to think that we'll be playing systems that work the same regardless of personnel available at the time, and we have many players who can play in various roles, which will help - but of course if certain players get injured (Farid or Harris for example) then we would be devoid of important attributes.

If we do only bring in two more players, I would expect them to be significant, first team ready ones - but this is all speculation on my part, of course!