hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Many Guests

Too Many Guests

Could the admin please do something about the amount of guest on the site right now, last night and also this morning the site is crashing due to database problem at the moment there is 542 members and 1711 guests

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    GTGTF (get the guests tae ****!)

It's because hun(excuse the pun)dreds of Kickback members need to come on to Hibs.net and then report back to Kickback that Hibs.net have closed to guests again and then post pictures of people making faces and write "pleasing" to each other.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Van Winkle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could the admin please do something about the amount of guest on the site right now, last night and also this morning the site is crashing due to database problem at the moment there is 542 members and 1711 guests
    Limited as my knowledge is, I am sure the Admin team need guests to keep the site viable and attract advertisers as well as new users and god help us, Private Members.
    We were all guests at some time or another, including you.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Is it not a case that everyone is a guest outwith the Private Members? Can we therefore presume that a large proportion of the guests will in fact be fellow Hibs supporters?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Is it not a case that everyone is a guest outwith the Private Members? Can we therefore presume that a large proportion of the guests will in fact be fellow Hibs supporters?
    Can't be

If the server can't handle about 1800 connections time to upgrade the technology and not boot people off.

What's next? 'Take a ticket please and look out for your number'

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    If the server can't handle about 1800 connections time to upgrade the technology and not boot people off.

What's next? 'Take a ticket please and look out for your number'
    It can handle that easily. Not sure what the issue was this morning, we are checking it with the hosts.

Last night we did boot guests during the updates but that's only ever done to preserve the board for our membership.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    It can handle that easily. Not sure what the issue was this morning, we are checking it with the hosts.

Last night we did boot guests during the updates but that's only ever done to preserve the board for our membership.
    I never really suspected it could not handle it...was just joking. However, I will ask you one question whilst we are on this subject. After some games last year, especially after a dreadful performance, (Sorry I can't narrow it down for you), you enforced signing on? Happened a few times. If the server can handle the numbers easily what was the purpose?

Cheers and hey....my number is showing on window 4. My turn

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Van Winkle View Post
    I asked this question previously and never got a definitive answer...

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?2...t=#post4105222

In theory, Admin could restrict access to members only (i.e. need to use password), especially on match days,

I never really suspected it could not handle it...was just joking. However, I will ask you one question whilst we are on this subject. After some games last year, especially after a dreadful performance, (Sorry I can't narrow it down for you), you enforced signing on? Happened a few times. If the server can handle the numbers easily what was the purpose?

Cheers and hey....my number is showing on window 4. My turn
    I'm not the techy bod so no bleedin' idea. I just know its a decent box we sit on

However, the numbers on here get very high during match days (especially away games) and thousands of people refreshing the same page does not bode well, hence the reason for turfing out guests.

I'd suggest you (respectfully) leave it with our techno geek....

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Green View Post
    I asked this question previously and never got a definitive answer...

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?2...t=#post4105222

In theory, Admin could restrict access to members only (i.e. need to use password), especially on match days,
    Our server should easily dealt with the traffic over the past few days. Investigations ongoing as to what went wrong.
    We already restrict access at periods of particularly high demand. Some of the clever Admins (not me) know what they are doing.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

I'm not the techy bod so no bleedin' idea. I just know its a decent box we sit on

However, the numbers on here get very high during match days (especially away games) and thousands of people refreshing the same page does not bode well, hence the reason for turfing out guests.

I'd suggest you (respectfully) leave it with our techno geek....
    It's no big deal. Only takes a few seconds. I had thought it is to control the bandwidth as the data transfer must get pretty high when we are all on at one time blowing a fuse. It is not a massive site but on matchdays a lot of pages (threads) are constantly loaded and reloaded and then Steve is on hogging it all with his gif's

Thanks for the response.

As previously mentioned the kit can easily handle the normal running load but when we have 2-3000 people hitting F5 every few seconds at 4.40 on a Saturday afternoon we sometimes restrict access to guests and even registered users. Only Private Members can be guaranteed access at these times as they contribute to paying the bills!

There does seem to be something going on just now though and it's being investigated.

and then Steve is on hogging it all with his gif's
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Only Private Members can be guaranteed access at these times as they contribute to paying the bills!
    We all contribute to paying the bills, the more people on the site the more you's can charge for advertising as stated by yourself when you thanked the Hearts fans for being on our site so much last year

Quote Originally Posted by rosscarnie View Post
    We all contribute to paying the bills, the more people on the site the more you's can charge for advertising as stated by yourself when you thanked the Hearts fans for being on our site so much last year
    PM's pay their money so they have priority when, at those limited times, the server is under load. Not an uber poster thing, just a fact.

We don't set rates for advertising as far as I know. Income from that is generated on page impressions \ hits or something like that.

Sorry, just seen this.

I'm a Hibs Net member but got booted from the Rangers game updates despite logging in quite a few times. It did save me from hearing the result I guess.

For me its encouraging to know that so many people are interested in the goings on at Hibs. Even if some of them are Yams

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    As previously mentioned the kit can easily handle the normal running load but when we have 2-3000 people hitting F5 every few seconds at 4.40 on a Saturday afternoon we sometimes restrict access to guests and even registered users. Only Private Members can be guaranteed access at these times as they contribute to paying the bills!

There does seem to be something going on just now though and it's being investigated.
    I just tried F5 to see what it does and nothing happened. Must be a PC thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby 2005 View Post
    Sorry, just seen this.

I'm a Hibs Net member but got booted from the Rangers game updates despite logging in quite a few times. It did save me from hearing the result I guess.
    Can't see anything to suggest that you've ever been a PM

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

Glad to hear this. Mikey - there are nearly 1200 'guests' on the board right now.

And unless I've missed something, there's absolutely nothing going on, nothing to see at all.

I know when i come onto hibs .net i tend to come on as a guest(i do not log in)
    I know for myself that i tend to browse the threads so to speak and if i see a thread that i would like to comment on i sign in and comment!!

a bit off topic here but i ve seen the pm/private memeber thing mentioned a few times.
    may i ask what is invovled in this and how much it costs?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    I know when i come onto hibs .net i tend to come on as a guest(i do not log in)
    I know for myself that i tend to browse the threads so to speak and if i see a thread that i would like to comment on i sign in and comment!!

a bit off topic here but i ve seen the pm/private memeber thing mentioned a few times.
    may i ask what is invovled in this and how much it costs?
    Basically £10 a year, and you get access to the PM board and the fuzzy warm glow of knowing that you've contributed a little something to the continuing financial stability of the forum.

But 1200 folks ain't just browsing the thread like you're talking about.

SOMETHING IS GOING ON. I SMELL *****.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Basically £10 a year, and you get access to the PM board and the fuzzy warm glow of knowing that you've contributed a little something to the continuing financial stability of the forum.

Ok thank you for the info, i guess the pm board is where the people in the know go huh?

as for what you are smelling i would recommend getting a few pegs(us hibs fans sell them you know) and sticking it on your nose!!

I guess some of the numbers would be our neighbours *spies* so to speak and well you just gotta pitty them ..I mean going onto a rivals board i mean, dont they have anything better to do?thus why you should point and laugh and prob then pity them

As of 14:00 hrs:
    There were 1864 users (403 members & 1281 guests) on .net
    Over on Sickpack there were 1336 uses (588 members & 611 guests,)

Surely we do not have a reciprocal agreement for Guests.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post

The yams over on kickback are betting on who will be launched next from here, that's what is going on.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    The yams over on kickback are betting on who will be launched next from here, that's what is going on.
    None of them will pay up

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    None of them will pay up

now now M'lord you do realise monopoly money doesn't count as legal tender right?

Anyow the big teams fans, all there moneys going into buying hearts shares you know.
    You know you can buy hearts shares for £20, current value 0

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Link?
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16