hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar

Booking family holidays abroad

Hi ,

Looking to take the family abroad for the first time next year. Sick to the back teeth of Holidaying in the UK as we have mostly been unlucky with the weather for the past 8 years

Im currently trawling Thomsons , Thomas Cook , First choice and On the Beach.ut
    I have 3 kids , 16 , 14 and 6 and the Wife. Most of the hotels say rooms hold 2 adults and 2 kids. Im after one the holds 2 adults and 3 kids. I have seen some where i select the hotel and it gives me 2 rooms (fair enough as i need to fit everyone in) budt it doesnt say if these rooms would be together.

Just noticed that the price drops dramatically if i fly from Birmingham

Anyway , not too fussed where we go but after a hotel with pool(s) right on the beach. Not really wanting anything off the beaten track. Im just after a touristy beach holiday.

Anyone with kids on here been away recently and can recommend somewhere semi decent but also semi cheap ?
    I have found deals with On the Beach for Majorca for 13 nights B&B for £1200 inc flights which worries my slightly

So , beard ye been and roughly how much ?
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    We went to Cape Verde last year, very good value for money. We stayed at the Riu Garopa Resort, excellent hotel I thought.
    It's all inclusive, with excellent food, great service and very friendly staff. It's right on the beach and has a couple of big pools. Not much to do outside the resort though, that's the only downside really.

When I was taking 3 kids abroad we found this place and just kept on going back.

Direct flights from Edinburgh to Barcelona or Reus.

Apart from all the advantages of all inclusive they had a block of apartments almost next door to the hotel itself. Great size, huge balcony and a cheap supermarket on the door step. We're the type that like to sit on the balcony till all hours sipping beer and stuff.

10 minute walk to the beach and noisy parts of Salou.

15 minutes in a taxi to Portaventura (sp).

http://www.hotel-villamarina.com/
    Space to let

I'd recommend Turkey. Icmeler or Bodrum in particular. Great resorts for adults and kids but enough to keep your older 2 entertained as well.

Guranteed weather and the value for money is excellent at the minute. About £1.90-£2 a pint and £7-£12 for a main course in the evening. We go B&B but there's loads of all inclusive options as well if that's your thing.

No idea on the actual cost of getting there for a family although if memory serves (and it should because I was only there 2 weeks ago) it was about £1150 for myself and the girlfriend for 2 weeks.

If you dont mind going SC then check out the Benalmadena palace. They do 2 bedroom apts SC with the option to up grade to AI or HB when you get there. Use travel republic or booking.com for the hotel and get cheap flights to malaga with easy jet, jet 2 or ryanair. Its a great all year round hotel with plenty for the kids to do. Defo one for families, not so good for singles.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    My tip would be to build your own holiday.

Start with the flights as you can almost certainly find suitable accommodation wherever you find a reasonable deal.

I've just got back from two weeks Tenerife all inclusive and paid less than €2000 for 3 of us including car hire for the duration.

There's some great deals to be had if you're willing to take the time and miss out the middle man.

Planning well ahead can save you money on flights but I've found that last minute hotel and car hire deals are plentiful this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you dont mind going SC then check out the Benalmadena palace. They do 2 bedroom apts SC with the option to up grade to AI or HB when you get there. Use travel republic or booking.com for the hotel and get cheap flights to malaga with easy jet, jet 2 or ryanair. Its a great all year round hotel with plenty for the kids to do. Defo one for families, not so good for singles.
    That sounds exactly what im after. I shall have a look at that later.
    Silly question though , if you book your own hotel , do they arrange transfers to and from the airport ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    My tip would be to build your own holiday.

Start with the flights as you can almost certainly find suitable accommodation wherever you find a reasonable deal.

I've just got back from two weeks Tenerife all inclusive and paid less than €2000 for 3 of us including car hire for the duration.

There's some great deals to be had if you're willing to take the time and miss out the middle man.

Planning well ahead can save you money on flights but I've found that last minute hotel and car hire deals are plentiful this year.
    at one point the other night i had 33 tabs open on my browser with different deals on each one. Sairhead

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibees62
    Villa Romana in Salou
    Not long back from this hotel and can't give it enough of a write up.
    kids 15 and 11 loved it and my mate has 3 kids they got 2 rooms right next door to each other.

The hotel is 10 mins from the town centre which is huge and 15 minute walk gets you to Porta Ventura. We bout a 7 day pass for the theme park before we went gets you 5 days theme park 2 days at the water park.
    The hotel - plenty of sunbeds great swimming pools and the food was brilliant and varied every night. Breakfasts were superb.

We also went to The Nou Camp which was just over an hour away on the bus that was the highlight of our fortnight

Anyway that's enough you and your kids would love this place mate

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Salou area is good if you like the thrill ride theme parks and I remember there's a decent water park area as well. We stayed just down the coast in La Pineda which has nice beach if that's yer thing.

We did the Nou Camp trip as well which is great.

We loved Ibiza as well - been twice and can highly recommend it. Beautiful island and short flight.

I've been to Turkey 3 times and for me it's not as cheap as it used to be but it is a lovely place to go.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Cheers folks.
    After all that i have ended up booking 2 weeks in Lanzarote flying from Birmingham for £1600 which i think is very cheap.
    Self Catering , Pool , 300meters from the Beach.

Cannae wait

Quote Originally Posted by KingFranck View Post
    Villa Romana in Salou
    Not long back from this hotel and can't give it enough of a write up.
    kids 15 and 11 loved it and my mate has 3 kids they got 2 rooms right next door to each other.

The hotel is 10 mins from the town centre which is huge and 15 minute walk gets you to Porta Ventura. We bout a 7 day pass for the theme park before we went gets you 5 days theme park 2 days at the water park.
    The hotel - plenty of sunbeds great swimming pools and the food was brilliant and varied every night. Breakfasts were superb.

We also went to The Nou Camp which was just over an hour away on the bus that was the highlight of our fortnight

Anyway that's enough you and your kids would love this place mate

How's Pepeto

Having recently stayed in the Vila Romana I can categorically say that the Benalmadena Palace knocks it right out the water.

The Benalmedena palace is the best hotel I've been to for price and quality. Flight to Malaga, train to Benalmedana , taxi down hill. All very cheap. Two supermarkets nearby and happy hour for half price drinks starts at 6.......

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    That sounds exactly what im after. I shall have a look at that later.
    Silly question though , if you book your own hotel , do they arrange transfers to and from the airport ?

You need to arrange your own transfer. If you did pick the BP you can get a taxi from Malaga airport for about 30 euros and takes about 20 mins. There's a train station in the airport and you can get a train from there direct to Benalmadena. Takes about 20 mins and only costs a couple of euro. A taxi from there to the hotel is about 5 mins and costs 7 euro.

https://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/hot...apartment.html

http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/bena...req_children=0

I was looking at that Benalmadena Palace but i could not get prices for June next year at the moment. I just lost patience

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I was looking at that Benalmadena Palace but i could not get prices for June next year at the moment. I just lost patience
    There are loads of Hotels worth looking at in Benalmadena.
    I always stay at the Hotel Triton, a bit more pricey than the one you're looking at, but a great hotel, great pool area, right on the beach, and near the Marina as well.
    If you're looking for apartments, try "The Jolly Pirate"
    Opposite the Hotel Sirocco, and you just use their facilities.
    Good luck

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Have a look at prices on alpharooms

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Have a look at prices on alpharooms
    No now i'm not
    Already booked now. I don't want to see what i could have won

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Cheers folks.
    After all that i have ended up booking 2 weeks in Lanzarote flying from Birmingham for £1600 which i think is very cheap.
    Self Catering , Pool , 300meters from the Beach.

Cannae wait
    What resort - we've been to Playa Blanca in the south and loved it. A trip to the volcanoes is a must.We took a boat trip to Fuerteventura as well which us a good day out.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    What resort - we've been to Playa Blanca in the south and loved it. A trip to the volcanoes is a must.We took a boat trip to Fuerteventura as well which us a good day out.
    Costa Teguise.
    I have been to Playa Blanca before too. I'm sure thats where my eldest was conceived
    Stayed in Casas Del Sol. Lovely wee place.

Already looking at the Scuba diving. Will definitely do the volcanoes and caves this time.

I shouldn't be let out alone.
    I had to get 2 apartments as it was max 4 per room. Fair enough.
    Just got all the confirmation through and it looks like the apartments are not next to each other.
    Looks like the Wife and I will be having separate holiday
    Have sent an email to the complex , but I'm not holding my breath.

Booking.com is showing prices for jun next year.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    I'm going to playa blanca next month, I've been the last 2 years, it's a lovely resort.