This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've seen some excellent keepers at ER

Rough
    Goram
    Budgie
    Leighton
    Andersson

Maybe add Colgan to that list!!

But since then dear God we've struggled.

Not sure if I've missed anyone??
    Yep have had some great goalies at ER but none we made ourselves of ANY note since THomson Allan in 1963! now even by mistake we should have had a few home grown goalies, we have had guys over that time in every postiotion except Goalie!
    Now look at Hearts, can think of a few, Rangers a few, god even Celtic have produced a couple over the same time. Maybe we under value goalies, maybe we just dont want to give youth a chance in that department? Whatever the reason it must change as we have to produce guys in all positions over the next few years.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    My theory regarding Zibi, McNeill and Maka (and a couple of others) is that for much of the their time the back four had developed a bad habit of dropping back very deep, largely due to a serious lack of pace in the centre-backs Jones and Hogg. I lost count of the number of times Maka in particular was struggling to work out what was going on in front of him because big Jones was playing right on the 6-yard line and in his way.

I know Jones is revered by many on this board, but good as he was in the air he was about as mobile as a dockside crane. And before anyone else says it, I KNOW he scored the opened in the LC Final in 2007, but even that day there were times he didn't make life easy for McNeill. Hogg wasn't much better - he was always liable to play a suicide ball across his goalmouth, or a perfectly-weighted pass-back to the keeper (perfectly-weighted for the opposition attackers, that is). Goalie and back four have to work as a unit, and I've always been of the opinion that when any doubt arises, the goalie's shout trumps all. McNeill and Maka in particular didn't have the confidence to make that happen, though I doubt that either Jones or Hogg would have been prepared to listen to them if they'd tried.

That said, not one of those three was anything like good enough in retrospect.

Danny Andersson (another goalie who looks better in hindsight than on the pitch during the game) started off dangerously erratic and ended by verging on something approaching competence; Hyldgaard hardly played, and Stack was perhaps the best of them until his inner ned surfaced. And then he got injured.

Reid and Rae were bombscares - anyone who thinks Maka was bad should have seen them.

Best you can say about Ollie is that you can't expect top-quality if you go shopping in Iceland. Better trying Sainsbury or M&S.

Williams was good until Butcher and Malpas "re-organised" the defence. then he seemed to lose it completely.

Last competent and adequate keepers to be promoted from the reserves/youth teams? Willie Wilson and Thomson Allan, back in the 1960's, I'd say.

Last competent and adequate keeper to pull on the Hibs jersey? Budgie
    Good post Doddie, and I'd agree about the inadequacies of our defence making the keepers struggle.

Andersson did ok but didn't play for us for that long.

But how about Jim Leighton? He was at least competent, I thought.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Robin Rae, from Musselburgh. He was a total d1ck and has only himself to blame for his career going down the toilet.
    He might have been.
    But I remember him performing well for us at Ibrox against the odds. And driving the filth in the Copeland to froth with a bit of keepie uppie to run the clock down.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    In March 2010 Ole was sentenced to a ten months prison term in Iceland for housebreaking, robbery and violent attack.[8] [9] In October 2011 he was sentenced to additional four months in prison for similar charges, including serious violence.[10]

lifted from wiki
    Wow - that's crazy. Apparently prior to that he disappeared from Torquay Utd "doping testers arrived at Plainmoor for routine testing and Gottskálksson was chosen to give a sample. On viewing the list of banned substances he fled Torquay, leaving his girlfriend behind without an explanation.[6] In June 2005, the Football Association announced that an independent disciplinary commission had banned Gottskálksson from football indefinitely for failing to take that drugs test." (also from wiki)

It would seem that there was more to Ollie the Goalie than meets the eye - going by the following link he must have pulled in favours from his contacts in Panini in an effort to throw the authorities off the scent....
    http://www.oldschoolpanini.com/2013/...jovi-boco.html

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    nobody has mentioned that fantastic keeper we had called tony caig or was his name cack. think big marc defries was pretty friendly with him.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    Good post Doddie, and I'd agree about the inadequacies of our defence making the keepers struggle.

Andersson did ok but didn't play for us for that long.

But how about Jim Leighton? He was at least competent, I thought.
    Sorry - I didn't mention Goram or Leighton, but I should have. (I thought we were really discussing guys who had come up from the reserves.)

Budgie was after Leighton, I thought?

Those two - and Budgie - were worth at least 15 points a season to us, at a time when a win got us 2 points.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Sorry - I didn't mention Goram or Leighton, but I should have. (I thought we were really discussing guys who had come up from the reserves.)

Budgie was after Leighton, I thought?

Those two - and Budgie - were worth at least 15 points a season to us, at a time when a win got us 2 points.
    Burridge was signed in 1991, Leighton in 1993.

Sorry - I didn't mention Goram or Leighton, but I should have. (I thought we were really discussing guys who had come up from the reserves.) Budgie was after Leighton, I thought? Those two - and Budgie - were worth at least 15 points a season to us, at a time when a win got us 2 points.
    Leighton' s double penalty save and rebound save from Laudrup at ER was brilliant.

Was clear the ref was desperate for them to score.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    He might have been.
    But I remember him performing well for us at Ibrox against the odds. And driving the filth in the Copeland to froth with a bit of keepie uppie to run the clock down.
    Bobin was actually a great keeper but mucked it up for himself at Hibs. Was also very good player out of goals . Dropped down to juniors and played up front scoring tons of goals. Big strong laddie with a rocket shot.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Remember him getting his chance when Rough broke his ankle at East Fife and done ok for a few games then let in a howler at the cave end to St Mirren in a 3-2 defeat iirc. Never played much after that.

Chris Reid became first choice and it did not end at all well.....I can't think of any since.
    Before him, Christ knows. Jim McArthur??????
    I always thought Reid was moved on because of his....extra curriculum activities...

Quote Originally Posted by skipster7 View Post
    Bobin was actually a great keeper but mucked it up for himself at Hibs. Was also very good player out of goals . Dropped down to juniors and played up front scoring tons of goals. Big strong laddie with a rocket shot.
    Was it Tranent? Too long ago now. And he was definitely a big laddie.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    I always thought Reid was moved on because of his....extra curriculum activities...
    Not because he threw six in at Motherwell then? He did and we went down. Before the much feted time we lost six again!

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Green View Post
    Why IMO have keepers been so bad in recent seasons? I was looking at the record of Zbigi and since leaving Hibs, for the final time in 2008, he has had 5 seasons with Korona Kielce in the Polish top division and amassed 120 appearances. Yet when I saw him between the sticks for Hibs I ended up with no nails left. Before coming to Hibs he had 5 years in the Feyenoord camp. What did JC do to him?

Then there are Graham Stack, Graeme Smith and Ma-Kalambay who has only played a handful of 1st team games since he departed in 2010.

Have Hibs just been unlucky with keepers (Williams excluded)? Will the next one be any better,
    He only played one game for Feyenoord so being there at the start of his career counts for nothing. And he's hardly playing at a high level. - Polish relegation battlers that most on here probably haven't heard of.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    Burridge was signed in 1991, Leighton in 1993.
    So he was. Gettin auld.

Budgie was in the League Cup winning side in '91; Leighton was in the side that lost to the Huns 2-1 in '94.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I always thought he was alright but nothing special. He loved a flamboyant save though and is probably remembered more fondly than he deserves because of the Rangers penalty shoot-out.
    And because Tony Caig came before him.

He was murder.

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    He only played one game for Feyenoord so being there at the start of his career counts for nothing. And he's hardly playing at a high level. - Polish relegation battlers that most on here probably haven't heard of.
    He was contracted to Feyenoord for 4 years and in that time played over 50 games on loan to Excelsior. If that does not count to you then why was he signed by Hibs? Relegation battlers? That doesn't count too, eh! Probably the Poles haven't heard of Hibs either.

Sheesh! Who rattled your cage.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Green View Post
    He was contracted to Feyenoord for 4 years and in that time played over 50 games on loan to Excelsior. If that does not count to you then why was he signed by Hibs? Relegation battlers? That doesn't count too, eh! Probably the Poles haven't heard of Hibs either.

Sheesh! Who rattled your cage.
    Who rattled my cage? You did.

The point is, he hasn't played at a standard (noticeably) better than Hibs so your inference that Hibs made him a bad keeper is based on little other than emotion. imo of course.
    Last edited by Speedy; 26-07-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Was it Tranent? Too long ago now. And he was definitely a big laddie.
    Arniston Rangers and Bonnyrigg Rose. Think he may have gone on to manage Arniston for a bit.

Is Nick Colgan employed by any club ? Has been a great ambassador for our club and seem to remember reading that he lived in Borders . Maybe someone who might play a part in the future .

Left by mutual consent!
    Should have signed McDonald

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Is Nick Colgan employed by any club ? Has been a great ambassador for our club and seem to remember reading that he lived in Borders . Maybe someone who might play a part in the future .
    He's the coach at Huddersfield and still registered as a player.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    IIRC both Colgan and Andersson did not come to the club as established keepers. At one point, wasn't Andersson third choice? I am sure that Colgan came in on a freezer from Bournemouth, and was very much a who(?) addition. Bit confusing that we have had quality and not known it.