hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Kyle

Kevin Kyle

No we are not signing him he is probably getting more than we can offer him here anyway haha 800 a fortnight

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...a-week-3871719
    Last edited by leither17; 17-07-2014 at 07:53 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by leither#1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No we are not signing him he is probably getting more than we can offer him here anyway haha 800 a fortnight

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...a-week-3871719
    Fair play to him IMO. Shouldn't feel the need to justify what he is doing to the press.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeemikey21 View Post
    Fair play to him IMO. Shouldn't feel the need to justify what he is doing to the press.
    Agreed.
    Cougars!!!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875

He's Just trying to provide for his family like the rest of us, what's the big deal?

Good on him, actually quite liked listenung to him on shows like Off the Ball.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Never liked him, but a jobs a job and at least he's out there doing something to provide for his family. £800 a fortnight is more than some people I know earn.

I realise that he has put himself in the public eye by becoming a professional baller, however i do find it disgusting the way these guys get ridiculed. Fair play to him IMO.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Really dislike stories like this, the o'connor stuff is a bit grim as well, but the article is essentially poking fun at a man who is trying to work for a living.

Clearly the guy couldn't handle the vast amounts of money he earned as footballer but at least he's went and got himself a job at the end of it and is trying to make a living.

Good luck to him. ...

Agree with everything posted here. Good luck to the man. Working for a living is no reason to be ridiculed.

The guy is out there trying to earn a living. Had an addiction and is trying to move on with his life and support his family. Well done KK.

Good luck to him. !!

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    Really dislike stories like this, the o'connor stuff is a bit grim as well, but the article is essentially poking fun at a man who is trying to work for a living.

Clearly the guy couldn't handle the vast amounts of money he earned as footballer but at least he's went and got himself a job at the end of it and is trying to make a living.

Good luck to him.

Made mistakes, is trying to make up for them by working hard to provide for his family.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Something that shouldnt really be publicized like this, and certainly not in the slightly mocking approach that paper seems to have taken.

The only thing I hope that comes from stories like Kyle and O'Connor is that more young players coming through dont make the same mistakes.

The guys hips are riddled with arthritis and when I spoke to him a couple of years ago, he was surprised he'd lasted as long as he had, at least he's getting on with life instead of sitting moaning about things or telling tales to the papers for a few quid, always came over as a nice bloke when I saw him at the gym, a bit rough round the edges but fairly decent guy.

I never really like KK as a player but when I met him he came across as thoroughly decent. I really hate articles like this. The tone the piece was written in was one of mocking yet if Kyle was taking benefits they would have called him lazy. For me it shows how hard it is for the majority of footballers after their career is over, especially when they've had problems dealing with money. Fair play to him getting a job, hopefully its the first rung on the ladder for him. Newspaper journalism has truly gone down the toilet.

I can't help but feel that if this was Derek Riordan or Garry O'Connor people on here would be far more cynical.

So many were all too quick to jump on the bandwagon when GoC pished his money away on drugs, but there's sympathy for Kyle when it's gambling, despite GoC being 'one of our own'.

FWIW, I don't take any pleasure in seeing either scenario, but I also don't think Kyle should be congratulated for having to work to earn a living now.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Disgusting journalism IMO - earning large sums of money like he was and being in sporting circles can (and has) captured a lot of professionals into gambling issues.

He's left football behind and is no longer a 'public figure' so his current job shouldn't merit media coverage, as it's not 'public interest'.

They use £800 a fortnight as if it's a paltry sum - £1600 a month is a respectable wage and kudos to him for not feeling he's above what this paper seems to think of as 'menial' work.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

A newspaper trying to embarrass the lad with a complete non story.... Yet they will justify it by saying its something people will find interesting when no-one really gives a ****. Only thing embarrassing is them printing this. Scraping the bottom of the barrel if they think this is "News".

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I can't help but feel that if this was Derek Riordan or Garry O'Connor people on here would be far more cynical.

So many were all too quick to jump on the bandwagon when GoC pished his money away on drugs, but there's sympathy for Kyle when it's gambling, despite GoC being 'one of our own'.

FWIW, I don't take any pleasure in seeing either scenario, but I also don't think Kyle should be congratulated for having to work to earn a living now.
    That was my thoughts when posting the thread another career wasted with nothing to show for it

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

I don't think that anyone is "congratulating" him. Sympathising, perhaps, but more pointedly having a go at the newspaper that ran the "story".

First Team Breakthrough
    Dont worry tho ,kevin kyle- family man, will be out in all good book stores very soon make sure and buy it so the kyles dont have to live in a shed at christmas

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes

The difference is that this story is mocking a man for working a job like most people do, If the O'Connor story was about how he has pished all his money away but was now working some *****y job just to make ends meet I think people would have been more sympathetic despite the overall tone of the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    The difference is that this story is mocking a man for working a job like most people do, If the O'Connor story was about how he has pished all his money away but was now working some *****y job just to make ends meet I think people would have been more sympathetic despite the overall tone of the piece.

TBF, it's not really 'as most do', given the fact he must have blown a fortune to be that skint now. There seems to be a few ex players in the same boat, Gazza for instance.

However, I agree that it's just a mud racking, point and laugh story. Worthy of that rag.

800 a fortnight is a decent wage, hard work I guess but very decent wage!

Said it for years, id do ANYTHING to provide for my family.

Fair play to him, hes earned my respect.

Anybody who slags him should be ashamed of themselves.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    So there is life after players finish their career at football. I have always found testimonials a bit of a strange thing, although nowadays its fashionable for players to donate the takings to charity, this proves that once players like Kyle who have earnt decent money over their time as a player, they can do what normal folk do and get a job.

Giving folk who have earnt way more than the average man who has been paying towards those wages, a bonus at the end of their time at the club has always seemed to me daft.

Put some of it away, or get a job. Its what normal folk do. I was a postman for 12 years, yet when i left i did not get a bonus for the time spent in that job, i got another job.

Well done Kevin.

It was the done thing years ago for ex players to buy pubs but that seems old hat now, one of our more famous players who does an ordinary job after his career ended is Alex Cropley, now a taxi driver in Edinburgh. It's no disgrace to get an everyday job once your career has ended, they can't ll be managers or top coaches.

First Team Breakthrough
    God on him working for a honest wage. You've got to question the football clubs who know players have gambling issues but fail to help them. Should there not be a scheme were players receive a percentage of the salary with the rest help in a investment fund that they can access when their careers are over, h

Left by mutual consent!
    Well done and fair play to him. A job is a job and at the end of the day he's earning money to provide for his family. Respect.